Sea Witch Watermelon Wheat - Skull Coast Brewing Company

Skull Coast Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Summer Seasonal uses real watermelons along with our crisp, clean wheat ale recipe to create the perfect brew for a hot Summer’s day. If you are looking to escape the heat, Sea Witch will lure you in and refresh you. But, be careful... Ye be warned!

(Beer added by: SFrankBrew on 06-10-2011)
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours attractive hazy, light golden color, with quickly dissipating white foam. Some light, spotty lacing. Nice crisp, fresh, watermelon aroma. Flavor is slight fruitiness, clean, and refreshing for a wheat beer. Well carbonated with good mouthfeel. Not personally that much familiarity with watermelon flavor in beers, although it seems appealing enough for a summer beer. Overall, I thought this was a pretty well executed effort.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Projects a radiant golden color with a hazy wheat clarity. Smells distinctively of watermelon. Based on the aroma I’d expected a super sweet taste... and that's where I was wrong. The flavor wasn't like a crazy sweet fruit beer. On the contrary, the taste is like a crisp wheat beer with only a dash of watermelon. Crisp and refreshing, with a dry finish and a watermelon tease. Light body, good carbonation and feel. Wasn't what I expected in a good way. I was all prepared to ask what Skull Coast was thinking making this, but now I know why. It's summer and this is a great summer beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love this brewery! I am always trying to track down their beers. Duckworth's just had Sea Witch on, and they are serving it with a watermelon wedge. Brilliant!

Okay, to the particulars. Besides being another completely original brew from Skull Coast, this one really is delightful. The appearance earns extra points for the Watermelon garnish. The smell is watermelon.

But, here is where Skull Coast breaks the typical fruit beer mold: The taste is still a wheat beer. It just has a slight hint of watermelon. The mouthfeel is good with good carbonation. Overall, there is a reason this is Charlotte's best kept secret. They know what they are doing! They make great beer!! I have to meet these guys soon. Wink, wink. Hint, hint!

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on tap at Fosters Pub in Charleston. Skull Coast had a tap takeover and I got to taste them all. I took the first in the line from the sales sheet I saw. The watermelon wheat poured a slightly cloudy golden color. The smell was all watermelon, all day. It was 95 degrees in Charleston today, so this was the perfect beer to drink after sweating it out all day. The taste was heaven. Refreshing. Crisp. Very drinkable. The mouthfeel is what you would expect from a wheat. Overall, I slammed this thing in about 30 seconds. If you are looking to cool down on a sweaty armpit Charleston day, this is the first beer you order. Worked for me!

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Another win from Skull Coast Ales. Serving on tap from my kegerator. This is my 4th Skull Coast Beer on tap and I have enjoyed them all.

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with fluffy white head. Minimal lacing which has been my experience with most fruit beers.

Smell: Absolutely wonderful watermelon aroma. Wow it smells great.

Taste: Absolutely refreshing on a hot summer day. Taste is of pale wheat with a hint of watermelon with a slight sweetness that is not overpowering at all.

Feel: Medium-bodied summer beer. Fairly light body.

Overall: What an excellent summer beer. What can I say? I bought a keg of it after my first taste. That should tell you all that you need to know.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

From my weekend notes: Not a fruit beer person, per se. But, the watermelon intrigued me. Luckily, I got this beer the same day it was tapped, because it was kicked about an hour after I got my pint. It was a nice golden color with a thin white head. Probably my only real concern. The smell was of watermelon. The taste was of white wheat, but it had a slight graininess that I appreciated. It did have a very slight watermelon kicker. Overall, I would probably give this a 4.25, but there isn't a rating of that. The people at the bar obviously liked it too, because it blew the same night it was tapped.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

How sad am I? I drove down to Fort Mill to get this beer because it hasn't made it's way to Charlotte yet. It was a very light color. Good head and lacing. The smell is what draws you in. Watermelon all the way. But, here's what I found that it's not too sweet. Thank God! Mouthfeel is what you would expect from a wheat beer. Overall, I really like it. I wasn't upset with myself for driving 25 miles to taste a beer. Again, I think I have a problem... I love good beer. This one fits the bill.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

I've been hearing a lot about this beer on Facebook and Twitter, so I had to seek it out today. I work in construction and it was hot today. This beer is Summer brew for a hot summer's day. The color is a light straw color. Almost looks like a Wit. The smell is of fresh watermelon. The taste comes across as a crisp, clean wheat with a hint of watermelon. The thing I like is that the smell follows the taste, but it's not too sweet. It's still a wheat beer, and not a watermelon beer. That's what I like the most. Most fruit beers go overboard. The mouthfeel is good. Overall, I have already drained the first one while writing this review. It's incredibly drinkable!

Sea Witch Watermelon Wheat from Skull Coast Brewing Company