India Pale Ale - La Barberie

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

La Barberie visit their website
Quebec, Canada

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.75/5  rDev +42.2%

Yes. This is damned good. Damned in the sense that only Satan could offer such a temptation in a bottle. Like a fresh cut lawn of hops with a pure spring wash. This is one of the freshest pale ales I've ever had. I support you my lovely IPA.

More words? Seek it. Find it. Indulge and you will be free (although the beer will cost you about 3-4 dollars a bottle).

shamus, Dec 01, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +41.3%

For an India Pale Ale this one is pretty damn good. This is definitaly a good beer in my opinion and very easy to drink.

This beer has a good taste and the mouthfeel is very good. It is fruity at the beginning and it finish with some malt and hop! The smell is simply awesome. Mind blowing. Wish they would sell this as a 6-pack!

The head foam is beautiful. I drank this one in a beer mug... it was nice. Interesting factor is that my girlfriend tasted it and said it was good... however she didn't like the aftertaste.

Simply awesome!

ZorPrime, Jun 08, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +29.6%

Sampled 30jun2004 at Vices et Versa in Montreal, on their lovely backyard terrasse that just "officially opened" (they had permit problems but now it's all nice and legal).

Deep orange colour, quite opaque, with a small but tough white head that hung on for dear life on the side of the pint glass. The smell comes on more spicy than hoppy, which I found very interesting. It turned more floral after a while.

This IPA has a very fruity, citrus finish, with a relatively mild hop bite. I asked Sébastien our bartender if he knew what type of hops were used, and since he wasn't sure he noted down my e-mail address and said he'd get back to me as soon as he would find out.

***update***Here's the list of hops used: Cascade, Halter, Saaz, Shinook and another one, he didn't remember.

Very refreshing and an above-average offering from La Barberie.

Goldorak, Jul 01, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

MasterMart, Apr 07, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

A full body beer, not limpid at all, very unclear and a dirty blonde look.
a big head, very big, bigger than my head!!!

Smell of hops, citrus.

The taste is bitter, nothing very deep in bitterness just a tiny bit, you can feel and taste the hops, actually I feel it is a wee bit unbalanced toward the hops, leaving no other taste to play in. But, I am a hophead so me like.

Not the best IPA I had, not the worst, but I do enjoy!

3Vandoo, Feb 08, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

500 ml bottle. Bottled on Feb. 2007. Ale on lees.

A-Coppery amber. Very bubbly. OK whitish head that has decent durability. All comes together to make a good looking beer.

S- Malty ale. Fruity notes. Carbonation. Faint yeastiness.

T- Mild pale malt. Fruity notes with a bitter hops finish. Flavourful but somewhat basic beer. There are some coffee notes to the bitterness and a touch of caramel.

MF- Pleasant medium-bodies ale.

D- Quite pleasant to drink. Flavourful with good balance to taste and feel.

JOaikido, Apr 14, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Tried two versions of this: at the Quebec brewery, I tried it straight from the tap. In Montreal, I had an opportunity try this beer cask conditioned, which was better.

Cloudy and amber in color; Like others from La Barberie, this was not presented with any head and there was no lace at all on the glass.

Surprising chocolate aroma. Equally surprising is the lack of a hop smell. I also note apples.

The hop shows up in the taste, strongly. Nice body. This is dry and bitter, although the finish and aftertaste lack the traditional lingering bitterness.

smcolw, Aug 31, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

500 ml bottle poured into a pint glass at Fou Bar, Quebec City.

La Barberie brewery is a cooperative du travail, labor cooperative, i.e. socialist owned-by-the-workers company, how cool is that. Tried this because they weren't pouring it at La Barberie pub when we were there.

This darkish amber brew is pretty clear, with a small head that recedes and leaves a fair amount of lacing. Crisp and light. Aroma is pretty much lacking the floral-grapefruit notes we have become accustomed to in AIPAs. Taste is of a crisp, dry, very good bitter...long, long, very bitter finish. Well made, but I would not classify this as an AIPA, I couldn't detect any dry hopping...nor is the alcohol content very high. Good session bitter, would be good with food.

kenito799, Jun 21, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

500 ml brown bottle with crown top. Bottled on may 28th, 2010. 4,49$ at Peluso. Light copper with a tick white head. The foam stand 'til the end of the glass. Good hops aroma, american in style. Very hoppy with a good bitterness. Somewhat dusty aftertaste. Good overall IPA. 7/10

rodenbach99, Aug 22, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Molson2000, Sep 13, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

KalanM, Nov 29, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Copper-bronze with an off-white head, good retention & lacing.

S: Citrus, grass, rind, earthy mineral, tropical fruit, slightly yeasty.

T: Earthy citrus, rind/marmalade, dried pineapple, modest bitterness. Really more of a hoppy pale ale than an IPA.

M: Well-attenuated, light to moderate body, very dry finish, higher than average carbonation.

D: A good drinker.

Derek, Jun 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Mostly clear amber/copper with a fairly substantial head of foam. Nose is grapefruit and pine, with hints of orange/tangerine. Little bit of sweetness on the palatte, and a big smack of hops - mostly of the grapefruit pith variety. Also a little bit of acidity up front as well. Light in body with a spritzy carbonation, and a long bitter finish. Certainly hoppy, but could use a bit more maltiness and body I think. Still, lots of hops are always nice, and OK drinkability.

allergictomacros, Jun 11, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

utility IPA, quite drinkable. Brown body, significant and noisy head, some grapefruit in aroma , drying finish.Some malt offset. Grapefruit and astringency in the flavours,. Grassy hop,but a good amount of it- a pint is too much and had to be shared. Better when it was cold then when it warmed.

Sammy, Jun 16, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My second beer of the night at the brewpub. Their IPA has a hazy bronze color, lacking retention and little lacing.

The smell (and taste) is a little to laid back (IMO). Grassy/citric hops, the yeast has Belgian like quality's and light caramel malts.

Tastes a little watery, good hop bitterness (pine and grapefruit), some yeast spice and a little malt in the finish.

irishkyle21, Sep 16, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a clear orange brown, medium white head forms, some lacing on the glass. Smell is strange, grassy hops, chocolate and coffee. Taste is very similar, bready grassy hops, sweet malts. Smooth beer, medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, not exactly and IPA though. Thanks DrJay.

Viggo, Aug 14, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

mspang, Jul 13, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

groleau, Aug 12, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Orange in colour, with a hops and citrus aroma. Has a nice hit of grassy hops upfront, followed by grapefruit, malt, and maybe a bit of pine. It's got quite a drying finish too. Lacks the complexity or balance of some of the better IPAs that I've sampled, but this is still a very solid and drinkable example of this style.

fisherman34, Sep 09, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

500 mL bottle purchased from Marche Jovi. Middle-of-the-road IPA -- decent, but not particularly memorable. Good hop presence in the flavour, and some interesting smoky notes in the aroma. Oily, slightly too-thin mouthfeel. Very drinkable, although I don't know if I would purchase it in large quantities.

crwills, Apr 25, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

A very nice IPA.

It poured an average red-orange creating a large head that dissipated quickly, leaving behind light lacing. There was a nice floral aroma, but without much else that I could differentiate.

Initially I found the beer exceptionally tasty, but have dialed in back a notch as it didn't maintain its greatness through a whole pint. I might add that it could be that I had paired it with a spicy lunch, but an IPA is supposed to work with spicy food. It is floral with a light amount of bitterness and very light malt. I personally am fond of less malty IPAs so this fit my palate. As I continued to drink the beer though the floral nature was not being noticed and the bitterness took a while to develop, and lingered lightly.

kjyost, Dec 31, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The head is tiny, cream-colored and bubbly over a cloudy, dark, orange-amber, flat beer. Grapefruit and fish share the nose. Up front is sweet grapefruit. Then some generic fruit in the somewhat tingly, watery middle. Finally, bitter grapefruit rind, pine and tobacco close. It's not bad: a fruity IPA, fairly bitter.

kbub6f, Aug 29, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a cloudy orange/red/yellow. Decent frothy head. A bit of lacing. Looks like beer. Potentially good beer.

A good amount of hops come out when smelling this specimen; floral and piney. Some light roasted malt in the background. Mostly a powerful hops smell.

This isn't as good as I remember it being; I think I've had too many amazing IPAs since the first time I sampled this one (Dogfish Head, Rogue, Arcadia, La Chouffe; even Saint Bock here in Montreal (Calisse)). Not completely balanced. There's a decent amount of hops there but it comes out as too bitter without being matched by anything else. The finish is short and bittersweet. The flavour up front is of water only, followed by bitter hops with no malt as a reference (this is key: without any malt to compare the hops to, they're left on their own; tasting like hop water). No alcohol presence, which is not surprising at 5%. A little weak, although maybe it would be nice if the flavour was just more present.

A little thin bodied for an IPA. Medium carbonation.

This beer is just not that interesting. Better than something like Alexander Keith's but not amazing by any standard. Drinkable but tastes watered down. Reading the reviews before mine I get the impression that it might not be completely consistent. The first time I tried this it was on tap and I remember being very impressed. I've been to the brewpub in Quebec City and definitely remember this as my favorite of the bunch (the rest, actually, I don't remember as being particularly good at all). With all the great IPAs out there, I don't think I will buy this one again. If you find it on tap, however, it could be worth trying.

eat, Jun 19, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

I like this brewery, but several of the styles or names were misleading. First I will say that I liked this beer. Now I will say that I believe a beer judge would be led to believe that this beer is in the wrong category. I was encouraged by the appearance of this "IPA". A pleasant deep gold that doesn't quite reach amber. The nose gives distinct citrusness. In fact, several of their beers including this one gave me an impression of pink grapefruit. I like my IPA's big and this was lacking in both malt and hop bitterness. The body and mouthfeel rate a medium. I detect a strange yeast or yeast blend in this beer .There is also a pleasant funkyness(probably from the latter) that most of their beers share that reminds me of Belgian offerings but would probably throw off a real stickler for style constraints. This IPA had a slight sourness as well that I enjoyed but doesn't belong in the style.

hbis2gut, Nov 29, 2004