India Pale Ale - La Barberie

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

La Barberie visit their website
Quebec, Canada

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Molson2000, Sep 13, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -30.2%

Got this one at Depanneur Peluso in Montreal this past summer. Awesome shop.

From a 500ml bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a three finger, looser looking, white head with decent retention. Perfectly clear, burnt orange body with lower levels of carbonation. Head fades to a nice foam cap, though only a half wisp remains until the end and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale malts, green fruits, apples and pears, with some citrus notes in there as well. Pineappl shows up with a touch of yeasty sipces as well. Cross between a pale ale and a Belgian blond. Not really that impressive.

TASTE: Pale and toasted malts, a touch of melon and citrus, then green fruits and spices at the swallow. Medium and lingering aftertaste of pale malts, spicy yeast, and some citrus lemon and floral hop bitterness. Decent, though more a pale ale than a blond here. Still, this is odd within the style.

PALATE: Very light body and higher levels of carbonation. Airy on the palate, goes down fizzy and finishes somewhat dry. Not plesant at all.

OVERALL: This isn't a quality IPA. It's a bit schizophrenic, not knowing if it's actually an IPA or a Belgian blond ale, and the palate is just way too airy and light. A better feel and I could at least drink the bottle, but as it is, Drain ended up with most of it. Skip this one at all costs.

Jeffo, Aug 31, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

MasterMart, Apr 07, 2012

oldp0rt, Feb 10, 2012

EinWeizenbitte, Jan 13, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

500 ml brown bottle with crown top. Bottled on may 28th, 2010. 4,49$ at Peluso. Light copper with a tick white head. The foam stand 'til the end of the glass. Good hops aroma, american in style. Very hoppy with a good bitterness. Somewhat dusty aftertaste. Good overall IPA. 7/10

rodenbach99, Aug 22, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

A very nice IPA.

It poured an average red-orange creating a large head that dissipated quickly, leaving behind light lacing. There was a nice floral aroma, but without much else that I could differentiate.

Initially I found the beer exceptionally tasty, but have dialed in back a notch as it didn't maintain its greatness through a whole pint. I might add that it could be that I had paired it with a spicy lunch, but an IPA is supposed to work with spicy food. It is floral with a light amount of bitterness and very light malt. I personally am fond of less malty IPAs so this fit my palate. As I continued to drink the beer though the floral nature was not being noticed and the bitterness took a while to develop, and lingered lightly.

kjyost, Dec 31, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer pours a cloudy medium orange hue, with a few fingers of foamy white head, which leaves a decent amount of lace around the glass as it recedes. It smells of bready caramel malt, and mild citrus hops. The taste is grassy, piney hops, and a light bready malt. The carbonation is fairly high, the body a bit thin, and it finishes hoppy, that grassy, weedy essence persisting. A pretty tame American version of the style, but easy enough to drink once the bubbles lay off.

biboergosum, Aug 08, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

I received this one as part of a trade and it's my first La Barberie brew. I'm not sure it fits the classification of an American IPA but here we go:

Poured an attractive deep copper colour. It's clear and its very carbonated body gives rise to three fingers of white foam. The head recedes to a simple blanket but doesn't offer any lacing on the way down.

The smell is slightly bready with touches of cloves and must. There is some sweeter malts underneath as well.

Taste is fairly light for an IPA. There is some bittering hops towards the end but much of it is cleared from the palate by the high carbonation. Little complexity and only a very small amount of malts or fruit is present. It's not really the punch I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is dominated by the high carbonation and gives the beer a prickly feeling. Drinkability is lower than average.

Ralphus, Jul 26, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -51.2%

$3.99 for 500 ml of beer. In the interest of full disclosure I feel that may be raising my expectations a little.

Pours a golden amber with a volcanic, over-the-top head. I only managed to get about 1/3 of the bottle into my pint glass before it erupted into the sink. This is some seriously foamy beer.

Smells fresh, with a nice zesty citrus punch. Subtle hint of ripe anjou pears.

Wlarghhkkkgghk!!!!111one11!!!! The taste is weird. Dry. Soapy. Solventy. Phenolic. Acidic. Astringent. Weird. Not malty in any way you could describe, and bitter in a weird way, almost like earwax. Estery in a weird way as well. And it's chalky and overly carbonated. This does not have the markings of a well made beer. Really...and I am being generous here...it's grassy hops with barely enough malt to back it up...but barely enough hops to need backing up. What the hell? The aftertaste is kind of gross.

Mouthfeel is all carbonation, way too much so. Overall I would sum this beer up as IPA flavoured Club Soda.

At 39¢ I would have felt I paid too much. This is not a good IPA. This is not a good beer. This is one to avoid. God dammit I wish I wasn't so cheap that I forced myself to drink the whole miserable bottle.

MeisterBurger, Jun 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Copper-bronze with an off-white head, good retention & lacing.

S: Citrus, grass, rind, earthy mineral, tropical fruit, slightly yeasty.

T: Earthy citrus, rind/marmalade, dried pineapple, modest bitterness. Really more of a hoppy pale ale than an IPA.

M: Well-attenuated, light to moderate body, very dry finish, higher than average carbonation.

D: A good drinker.

Derek, Jun 23, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a cloudy orange/red/yellow. Decent frothy head. A bit of lacing. Looks like beer. Potentially good beer.

A good amount of hops come out when smelling this specimen; floral and piney. Some light roasted malt in the background. Mostly a powerful hops smell.

This isn't as good as I remember it being; I think I've had too many amazing IPAs since the first time I sampled this one (Dogfish Head, Rogue, Arcadia, La Chouffe; even Saint Bock here in Montreal (Calisse)). Not completely balanced. There's a decent amount of hops there but it comes out as too bitter without being matched by anything else. The finish is short and bittersweet. The flavour up front is of water only, followed by bitter hops with no malt as a reference (this is key: without any malt to compare the hops to, they're left on their own; tasting like hop water). No alcohol presence, which is not surprising at 5%. A little weak, although maybe it would be nice if the flavour was just more present.

A little thin bodied for an IPA. Medium carbonation.

This beer is just not that interesting. Better than something like Alexander Keith's but not amazing by any standard. Drinkable but tastes watered down. Reading the reviews before mine I get the impression that it might not be completely consistent. The first time I tried this it was on tap and I remember being very impressed. I've been to the brewpub in Quebec City and definitely remember this as my favorite of the bunch (the rest, actually, I don't remember as being particularly good at all). With all the great IPAs out there, I don't think I will buy this one again. If you find it on tap, however, it could be worth trying.

eat, Jun 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Mostly clear amber/copper with a fairly substantial head of foam. Nose is grapefruit and pine, with hints of orange/tangerine. Little bit of sweetness on the palatte, and a big smack of hops - mostly of the grapefruit pith variety. Also a little bit of acidity up front as well. Light in body with a spritzy carbonation, and a long bitter finish. Certainly hoppy, but could use a bit more maltiness and body I think. Still, lots of hops are always nice, and OK drinkability.

allergictomacros, Jun 11, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +42.2%

Yes. This is damned good. Damned in the sense that only Satan could offer such a temptation in a bottle. Like a fresh cut lawn of hops with a pure spring wash. This is one of the freshest pale ales I've ever had. I support you my lovely IPA.

More words? Seek it. Find it. Indulge and you will be free (although the beer will cost you about 3-4 dollars a bottle).

shamus, Dec 01, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%

My second beer of the night at the brewpub. Their IPA has a hazy bronze color, lacking retention and little lacing.

The smell (and taste) is a little to laid back (IMO). Grassy/citric hops, the yeast has Belgian like quality's and light caramel malts.

Tastes a little watery, good hop bitterness (pine and grapefruit), some yeast spice and a little malt in the finish.

irishkyle21, Sep 16, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Tried two versions of this: at the Quebec brewery, I tried it straight from the tap. In Montreal, I had an opportunity try this beer cask conditioned, which was better.

Cloudy and amber in color; Like others from La Barberie, this was not presented with any head and there was no lace at all on the glass.

Surprising chocolate aroma. Equally surprising is the lack of a hop smell. I also note apples.

The hop shows up in the taste, strongly. Nice body. This is dry and bitter, although the finish and aftertaste lack the traditional lingering bitterness.

smcolw, Aug 31, 2008