Microbrew Invitational

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 48
2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

500 mL brown bottle, 4 months old.

Pours a hazy pale orange, with a head of big bubbles, leaving craters and dying down quickly, lacing the glass.

Citrusy, hoppy aroma.

Moderately malty up front, with a powerful hop bitterness, grapefruit and black tea flavours melt into an almost sour astringency that causes the mouth to pucker. The little sweetness present dries out towards the end.
Mouthfeel is thin, and carbonation is fairly high, which contributes to a strong bite on the tongue, which is not necessarily unpleasant.

I have noticed this astringent taste in many of La Barberie's beers, so it must be related to their brewing methods. This beer in particular would be greatly improved if this fault were corrected.

4.02/5  rDev +18.2%

A full body beer, not limpid at all, very unclear and a dirty blonde look.
a big head, very big, bigger than my head!!!

Smell of hops, citrus.

The taste is bitter, nothing very deep in bitterness just a tiny bit, you can feel and taste the hops, actually I feel it is a wee bit unbalanced toward the hops, leaving no other taste to play in. But, I am a hophead so me like.

Not the best IPA I had, not the worst, but I do enjoy!

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

I like this brewery, but several of the styles or names were misleading. First I will say that I liked this beer. Now I will say that I believe a beer judge would be led to believe that this beer is in the wrong category. I was encouraged by the appearance of this "IPA". A pleasant deep gold that doesn't quite reach amber. The nose gives distinct citrusness. In fact, several of their beers including this one gave me an impression of pink grapefruit. I like my IPA's big and this was lacking in both malt and hop bitterness. The body and mouthfeel rate a medium. I detect a strange yeast or yeast blend in this beer .There is also a pleasant funkyness(probably from the latter) that most of their beers share that reminds me of Belgian offerings but would probably throw off a real stickler for style constraints. This IPA had a slight sourness as well that I enjoyed but doesn't belong in the style.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The head is tiny, cream-colored and bubbly over a cloudy, dark, orange-amber, flat beer. Grapefruit and fish share the nose. Up front is sweet grapefruit. Then some generic fruit in the somewhat tingly, watery middle. Finally, bitter grapefruit rind, pine and tobacco close. It's not bad: a fruity IPA, fairly bitter.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Sampled 30jun2004 at Vices et Versa in Montreal, on their lovely backyard terrasse that just "officially opened" (they had permit problems but now it's all nice and legal).

Deep orange colour, quite opaque, with a small but tough white head that hung on for dear life on the side of the pint glass. The smell comes on more spicy than hoppy, which I found very interesting. It turned more floral after a while.

This IPA has a very fruity, citrus finish, with a relatively mild hop bite. I asked Sébastien our bartender if he knew what type of hops were used, and since he wasn't sure he noted down my e-mail address and said he'd get back to me as soon as he would find out.

***update***Here's the list of hops used: Cascade, Halter, Saaz, Shinook and another one, he didn't remember.

Very refreshing and an above-average offering from La Barberie.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy dark amber/orange body with a big head. Bubbles stick to the glass very well, but they're pretty irregular. Cascade and citrus aroma, mainly grapefruit. The taste is pleasant, vague caramel with tart orange, lemon, grapefruit are riding all along with floral hops. Restrained bitterness and dry finish. Overall a light india pale ale, very easy to drink and tarter than average.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last