Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews by 433:

Serving type: On tap many times. Mostly at the Skinny Pancake Creperie and the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. I'm not even sure where I had it first. I had never planned on reviewing it, or any other beer, but it's so good that I've decided to type about it.

Appearance: It looks fine to me. Like a glass of beer. The glasses they serve it in at Three Penny Taproom are great. Sort of like a pint glass, with the Hill Farmstead Logo. Honestly the glass is so nice, it does add something, I think.

Smell: It smells like it tastes, as far as I know. I sort of object to the idea of discounting points for relatively unimportant considerations like appearance, or even smell. As far as I know, it smells like heaven.

Taste: The taste is brilliant. Fresh. Hearty. Hoppy. It's like the best IPA ever.

Mouthfeel: My mouth feels absolutely fantastic when I'm drinking this beer.

Overall: 11.

When I see the detail that some people have put into their reviews, I almost feel apologetic that I haven't labored over the details more. Three Penny Taproom has a lot of great beers (24 taps), but I often get buyer's remorse if I get anything other than the Edward, including other Hill Farmstead beers. From what I've had, a Sixpoint Resin is the only thing close to the heavenly Edward, although a lot of the other Hill Farmstead beers aren't too far behind, like Citra and Abner, which are nice because they taste somewhat similar to the Edward.

All of their beers taste fresh and flowery, that I've had.

From my experience, I've never had a beer with such a good finish as the Edward. In this respect, I think it does outclass the other Hill Farmstead beers I've had. There's just some kind of bonus in the after taste. Dry and inviting. It's such a hearty and delicious beer, and my favorite of all time. The challenge now is to find something comparable. I've never tried Pliny the Elder which I've read is really good. I've seen polls where the Dogfish Head 90 minute is listed as a top five beer. There is absolutely no comparison: the Edward is much, much better than the 90 minute, but then again, I think the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute.

Sorry to go off topic. This is my first and perhaps last review, and it's just odd that no one is giving the Edward all 5s. I see the tips on the side that all 5s are to be used rarely, but come on. If there was ever a beer that deserves it, it's this one. Otherwise it's misleading.

Update: Reading more reviews, it sounds like I would really like Zombie Dust. I'll ask Three Penny if they can get some of that.

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great pour, heavy nose.
Appearance looks like a double. Good head but disappears within minutes.
Taste -floral notes with Piney finish but as it sits the pine gets lost.
One would think it has a higher abv it is only 5.2
Overall great beer excited to try more from this brewery.

4.07/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a hazed orange color with a white head. Aroma is piney and full of tropical fruits. The taste is also tropical, lots of pith, pine, pineapple, papaya. The taste is very fruity and hoppy. Nice pine, resin, mild tropical punch, light citrus. Refreshing take on a pale. Light body, light to medium carbonation, slightly drying hop finish. Overall, this is a great brew, thx to K0IZ for the pickup.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a tulip this beer was a hazy orange color. There was a medium-sized white head and an abundance of lace.

Very much citrus for aroma. Tinge of pine. Sweet malt.

What a taste! Grapefruit, tropical fruit, a bit of pine, some grassy hops. Bready.

A nice hoppy beer, but still somewhat restrained.

The first Hill Farmstead beer I've tried. Am looking forward to many more.

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

ok lets meet mr edward here

ok nice to meet you ed i see you are light golden and little but hazy but you have a nice white fluffy head of hair on you very gentlemen like of you

ok nice aroma here softer than the ephraim for sure and is expected but i get less citrus and fruit there and more pine and spice in this one very nice

nice thin to medium body here this one is a real quencher

its hard to make a good pale these days everyone is making double triple quadruple ipas i like edward though he is a good dude

4.75/5  rDev +7%

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at the Farmhouse Tap & Grill in Burlington, VT. Pours a glowing ruby tinged amber, under a delicate off white head, tiny bubble film. collar and respectable sheeting, then well developed fine lacing. Nice looking ale.

Soft and mild pine infused nose.

Respectable pale, packing a better then average hop package.

Nice pale, moderate fruit, ample malt, counter balancing a gritty hoppy finish. Tight, flavorful and enjoyable. I'd love to be able to order another and another.

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a growler into my Hill Farmstead stem glass.
A: A Beautiful yellow orange with no head. Cloudy, but perfectly uniform.
S: Belgian, funk, sour and hops with some pine on the end. Absolutely the best smell from a non-stout yet.
T: Orange, and some lemon, incredibly balanced with hops on the end.
M: Pine, hops, and some sour funk on the end of the gulp.
O: Wow, this is my first hill farmstead after the February 18th, 2012 release and it’s amazing. Absolutely one of the best beer’s I’ve ever had. A

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on tap at the Three Penny Tap Room

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, orange-yellow in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: toasted malt, and tropical citrus hops

Taste: pineapple, tropical fruit, citrus hops, and light toasted malt in the back to balance the beer out nicely

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, light bodied, slightly bitter with some sweetness built in.

Overall: Another Hill Farmstead beer where the citrus just jumps. If all hops jumped like this, I could turn into a hop head. This certainly tastes more like a well crafted IPA than a pale ale. It may be my favorite pale ale. This is a bitter beer, but not overly so. Just really flavorful.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery