2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EdwardEdward

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,242 | Reviews: 253 | Show All Ratings:
yourefragile

District of Columbia

Served in a goblet at Canal St.

Pours a radiant, chilled peachy apricot color with a thick cream colored head. Excellent retention, the head never quite fades away and leaves behind thick, sticky rings of lace.

Aroma is fresh and abundantly hoppy. Bitter grapefruit rind and pine with subtle tropical fruit sweetness.

Body is medium thick and chewy with in your face carbonation. Flavor is ridiculously hoppy and rich for a 5% APA. Like the nose, grapefruit and pine hops, resiny and bitter, dominate from start to finish. There is a slight bready malt present and some sweet tropical fruits as the beer warms, but the hops are what linger well into the finish. Incredible flavor and hop presence for what is expected to be a mild APA.

Edit 01/13/13: Changing this score to my first perfect 5's because this is... perfect

03-05-2011 00:26:18 | More by yourefragile

Serving type: On tap many times. Mostly at the Skinny Pancake Creperie and the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. I'm not even sure where I had it first. I had never planned on reviewing it, or any other beer, but it's so good that I've decided to type about it.

Appearance: It looks fine to me. Like a glass of beer. The glasses they serve it in at Three Penny Taproom are great. Sort of like a pint glass, with the Hill Farmstead Logo. Honestly the glass is so nice, it does add something, I think.

Smell: It smells like it tastes, as far as I know. I sort of object to the idea of discounting points for relatively unimportant considerations like appearance, or even smell. As far as I know, it smells like heaven.

Taste: The taste is brilliant. Fresh. Hearty. Hoppy. It's like the best IPA ever.

Mouthfeel: My mouth feels absolutely fantastic when I'm drinking this beer.

Overall: 11.

When I see the detail that some people have put into their reviews, I almost feel apologetic that I haven't labored over the details more. Three Penny Taproom has a lot of great beers (24 taps), but I often get buyer's remorse if I get anything other than the Edward, including other Hill Farmstead beers. From what I've had, a Sixpoint Resin is the only thing close to the heavenly Edward, although a lot of the other Hill Farmstead beers aren't too far behind, like Citra and Abner, which are nice because they taste somewhat similar to the Edward.

All of their beers taste fresh and flowery, that I've had.

From my experience, I've never had a beer with such a good finish as the Edward. In this respect, I think it does outclass the other Hill Farmstead beers I've had. There's just some kind of bonus in the after taste. Dry and inviting. It's such a hearty and delicious beer, and my favorite of all time. The challenge now is to find something comparable. I've never tried Pliny the Elder which I've read is really good. I've seen polls where the Dogfish Head 90 minute is listed as a top five beer. There is absolutely no comparison: the Edward is much, much better than the 90 minute, but then again, I think the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute.

Sorry to go off topic. This is my first and perhaps last review, and it's just odd that no one is giving the Edward all 5s. I see the tips on the side that all 5s are to be used rarely, but come on. If there was ever a beer that deserves it, it's this one. Otherwise it's misleading.

Update: Reading more reviews, it sounds like I would really like Zombie Dust. I'll ask Three Penny if they can get some of that.

09-14-2012 03:59:52 | More by 433
afksports

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

I've had the pleasure of having Hill Farmstead's Edward Pale Ale several times on tap, most recently on a trip to Waterbury, where I drank it at the Reservoir with a buddy of mine and my girlfriend. We discussed superpowers. "What if you could speak any language in the world, but 50% of the time you said anything you sh*t yourself?" Ooh la la. I suppose it would Depends.

Edward pours a malty pale golden amber puffy white headed goodness. It smells almost like an IPA, but the malt backbone comes through in the nose too, and that tells you it's more of a pale. Bready biscuits, malt, caramel, and pine and sharp grapefruit hops come through in both the smell of it and the taste of it. It starts sweet, then sweeps through with hops at the end that finish clean. No trace of the 5.2% alcohol, not at all drying, and the carbonation and medium-body drink so sweetly that I want another as soon as I finish the pint. Hands down one of the best pale ales I've had.

And despite that conversation, I will use my words to order this any future time it's on tap. In English. It's a beautiful beer. But perhaps not worth dirty trousers.

07-16-2011 16:29:23 | More by afksports
rowingbrewer

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

This is the best pale ale i have ever had, better than alpha king and peeper
this beer ours a light slightly hazy yellow with a good off white head. the smell is earthy and citrusy with almost not malt presence (nice and dry just the way i like it) the taste is dy hoppy citryusy and wonderful. the mouthfeel is well carbed and light boddied. I wish hill farmsead distributed to mass, maybe someday they will

08-18-2011 02:56:56 | More by rowingbrewer
FrankLloydMike

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

While it's not an IPA, Edward is the beer that last fall renewed by interest in hoppy IPAs and pale ales after moving away from them a bit over the previous year. It's a phenomenal beer brewed in a unique and earnest setting, and one of my favorite beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

A: Pours a beautiful, reddish-copper amber with a haziness that glows beautifully when held to the sun. The head is quick and bubbly white, but leaves a nice bit of sticky lacing.

S: O! the Joy! The smell is exquisite and exceptionally fresh, with crisp, clean floral notes and a hint of cut grass. There's not much pine or citrus in here, but a bit, as well as a hint of bready malts. The floral, grassy hop notes are what dominant though, and their dominance is benevolent.

T: The taste follows the nose with the hops dominating, balanced as they are by the malts which don't do much talking of their own. The taste is floral and grassy as is the nose, with again a bit of pine, but very little in the way of citrus or herbal. It's incredibly clean with a wonderful bitter bite that never overwhelms.

M: Medium-bodied, fuller than expected but not in a bad way. The malts, which seem to stand well behind the hops in the nose and taste are evident here propping up the body. Carbonation is spot on and the feeling is dry without being dehydrating.

D: Supreme. The reasonably low ABV, exceptional body, aesthetic beauty, and superb taste and smell make this one of the best, most drinkable beers I've ever had. I imagine it owes some of its greatness to its freshness, but either way this is an excellent beer. It's wonderfully hoppy, bitter and flavorful without having some of the dehydrating characteristics of some IPAs and APAs, and would make a great all-night beer. At the anniversary party and in the three growler fills I've had, Edward is the beer I keep coming back to at Hill Farmstead. I dream of one day having a bierkeller with old shelves stocked full of beer around an old oak table and a keg of Edward at hand.

07-22-2011 18:42:55 | More by FrankLloydMike
Schmuckles

Rhode Island

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this from a growler and on tap. Appearance is in the eye of the beholder so it shouldn't matter in terms of score but it is mildly cloudy with no sediment. It has a nice citrus pine aroma which I absolutely love.
The taste is what you smell. Smooth hoppiness. The carbonation is good
I rated this beer pretty high because it's good. More so because it's good and my wife likes it.

12-29-2012 23:37:38 | More by Schmuckles
extrablue

Wyoming

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

This is the best American beer I have ever tasted. Hands down. It makes me think of a cloistered European unfiltered Marzens perfection. If I could only drink one american beer for the rest of my life this would be it. I really just can't get over how amazing it is. It was shockingly good on the first sip. And many rounds later still just as amazing.

09-26-2013 23:15:46 | More by extrablue
DarkStar2

Taiwan

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%

Purchased this at the brewery. As many others have said it is so tasty with a perfect carbonation and overall drinkability that this would be my absolute standard if I could get it regularly. I feel this beer doesnt try to over power you, it comes at you in a subtle classy way with a very fine appreciation of how to deliver the taste of an IPA without overpowering your mouth. Shaun knows what he is doing and has made what I feel is by far the best session IPA out there.

11-09-2010 10:28:09 | More by DarkStar2
hagbergl

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%

I had a couple proper pints of Hill Farmstead Edward (in an English pub-style nonic glass) at The Crop, a great new restaurant in Stowe, Vermont. Edward was the only HF beer they had on tap, but it was in excellent company–they had stuff by Ommegang, Green Flash, Lagunitas, and Rodenbach as well, and Alchemist Heady Topper in cans, as well. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): Edward pours a brilliant, opaque, deep orange hue with some yellow highlights when held up to the light. Very cloudy, due to it being completely unfiltered. A 1.5 inch, billowy, crown of off-white foam sits atop this beauteous nectar. Plenty of sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as you drink. This is absolutely the BEST LOOKING pale ale I have ever seen.

Smell (4.5/5): Edward smells very hoppy, hinting at a decidedly hop-centric flavor profile: sweet tropical fruit and piney hop notes dominate. Biscuity and bready notes can also be discerned, along with an interesting...buttery note (?). An excellent, excellent nose.

Taste (5/5):This is most certainly one hoppy pale ale. Edward features serious complexity, though: the hops are fruity (grapefruit, passion fruit, and mango–flavors common to many hoppy Hill Farmstead beers), earthy, grassy, and deep. They are very nicely balanced by a biscuity malt backbone–as with the smell, notes of butter in there again. There is a lingering, dry bitterness that is refreshing and not overly astringent. Very impressive, and in my eyes, a perfectly executed hop-forward American Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Edward is medium bodied and has a pleasing medium level of carbonation that compliments the hop bite and dryness of this beer. It is slightly creamy. Hop resins prickle and coat the tongue. All these factors make Edward a pleasure to drink. The low ABV (5.2%) means you can (must, really) have a couple of these whenever you see it. Drinkability is absurdly high.

Overall (5/5): Hill Farmstead Edward is a superior American Pale Ale. Its delicious aroma, its exceptionally well-balanced fruity hop and biscuit malt flavors, and its out-of-this-world drinkability make it a true stand-out among not only beers of its style category, but among all the beers in the wide world of beerdom. Now, Edward may not be the most unusual or sought-after of Shaun Hill's fermented creations, but it certainly is one of the best and makes a great introduction to his other beers. Bravo, Hill Farmstead!

08-17-2012 02:59:23 | More by hagbergl
80x2HopHead

Vermont

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell isn't too overwhelming however I can pick up on just the right amount of hops with grapefruit and subtle lemon and orange. Reminds me of a toned down galaxy- I would say more prominent citrus notes and a bit of subtle tropical fruit in the background. The hops are lightly floral but still very juicy and I can still get some risinous tastes, but not too overwhelming. Taste is very well balanced- juicy and fruity hops come at you with grapefruit, tangerine, and a little lemon? I can notice the malt however its in the background and doesn't take away from the hoppy PA nature of the brew. Balance between the hops and malt is the key for this PA - however the hops are certainly brought to the forefront which is what I would want out of an PA of this nature. I prefer DIPAs above all else, however I loved this HF brew and I would certainly recommend it to anyone- don't let the APA style fool you, it still has tons of excellent hoppy character.

03-19-2013 06:14:53 | More by 80x2HopHead
IrishKevin

4.86/5  rDev +9.7%

Had his on draft at The Pizza Stone, I think in Chester, VT.

I had no expectations, because I knew nothing about this beer.
It had the malty hoppy smell of a brewery. As I tasted it, I could tell it had a high IBU, but it wasn't out of balance. This was an exceptional beer. I asked the bartender about it and she informed me that, "the brewery is the highest rated in the world."

Needless to say the beer blew me away!! One of the best all around beers I have ever had.

Experiences like this are what it's all about!

04-11-2013 21:49:41 | More by IrishKevin
reebtaerG

Maryland

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a 8oz pour from growler

A-Pour is hazed pale golden amber with a perfectly tight white head. Great lacing.

S-Aroma is huge hop, well balanced pale malt and grain bill with notes of grass and a strong citrus punch.

T-Taste is a touch more balanced, very drinkable. Grain bill is more pronounced with a light pale malt. Hops are herbal, grapefruit and citrusy, grassy notes linger with a very light bitterness.

M-The mouthfeel is almost perfect, and the dryness at the end is outstanding for an APA. Great carbonation.

O-Overall an awesome APA a must get!

03-05-2014 12:58:12 | More by reebtaerG
Thorpe429

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

On draft at Capone's last weekend. Served in a pint glass. Along with Bullfrog Citra-Delic, this is the best pale ale that I have ever had. Congrats and thanks, Shaun.

Pours a very hazy light apricot color with a good white head and a pretty good amount of lacing as it goes down the glass. The nose simply explodes with hoppy notes ranging from tropical to citrus with a bit of floral and pine in there for good measure. Simply a cornucopia of all that hops can do to a beer. The taste drives this up to the next level--simply awe-inspiring. Wow, so good. There really isn't any hint at all of malt, other than that it adds a bit of a base so the beer's not too thin. It is quite dry, however. Dry finish with a very resiny, bitter finish. So much flavor in a 5.2% pale ale. I simply love this. One of the best beers I've had in a long, long, long time.

02-16-2011 15:15:21 | More by Thorpe429
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

what a friggin tasting hobo 5 turned out to be. i ended up coming out with two beers that were damn near perfect 5's and on two totally different ends of the spectrum, from the growler to the pint glass.

the best pour a pale ale could have hands down. bow down to it. a deep amber that was soo cloudy and hazy you could not see through to the other side of the bottle no matter what you tried. amazing looking beer with a huge which head that stuck to anything it came close to.

the aroma was to die for as the hops were soo fresh, soo clean it made you cry. such a deep resonant citrus aroma coming off of this, i hardly could speak.rich orange, pineapple, tangerine, juicy it was soo fresh, no bitterness or harshness, soo full and fresh like you were sucking on a whole cone, again just amazing here. clean finish with a dry, juciy finish that left you searching, begging to find more.

overall this was a simply amazing beer that really just has to be tried. i have ephraim in the fridge, cannot wait.

03-12-2011 05:29:20 | More by mikesgroove
juhl31

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

thanks to nevins for the growler and the fact that he decided i would better enjoy it from a hill farmstead tulip!

-orange with a brownish hue in the color. a good white head involved and it is pretty foggy which i actually enjoy

-an orange smelling hop to it at the start. there is some malt in the back as well. it may have lost some of that huge dry hopping smell to it on its travels across the US, but still smells very nice...maybe some vanilla in there too which is interesting

-great hop taste and great hop bitterness. yet not overboard at all for the style. the hops are orange tasting with a bit of grassiness involved. citra? this is all balanced out very well by a malty sweetness

-good body, and almost a thick, creaminess to it even though it's a low ABV. carb is nice. just feels nice on the palate

-wow, this is exceptional. i could drink this stuff like crazy. probably the best PA i've had

05-23-2011 02:29:56 | More by juhl31
Arbitrator

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

Chilled growler into a glass. Thanks!

A: Pours a murky, nearly opaque, soft peach body. Clearly unfiltered, which is something I usually criticize in APAs and IPAs. Forms a finger of off-white head that vanishes after about 30 seconds. Some register marks during the initial sips.

S: Bright citrus pith: cantaloupe, honeydew melon, grapefruit. A touch of pine needle rounds out the back end. Very little malt character, with a small biscuit note throughout.

T: That bright, beautiful citrus nose dominates the taste. Melon and grapefruit flesh lead the way, gradually segueing into pine needles. The aftertaste is moderately bitter, which the biscuit malt base does little to offset. The exhalation resurrects honeydew and brings some peach. Lovely.

M: Medium-bodied; this feels a little heavier than most pale ales. But it cleans up well; bitterness lingers in the aftertaste for only a little while before falling off. No unpleasant stickiness. It makes the beer eminently drinkable.

O: Russian River's Row 2, Alpine's Hoppy Birthday, and Three Floyds' Zombie Dust are probably the most popular pale ales on BA right now. This and Hill Farmstead's Citra should be in the conversation, as well. Superlative for the style. I feel almost like a broken record saying how good Hill Farmstead's hoppy beers are, but when it's true...

09-13-2012 04:30:32 | More by Arbitrator
AleWatcher

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Growler courtesy of BaconSausage. Thanks a lot man--- This was one of my favorite beers from DLD weekend! (and that says a lot!)

This looks gorgeous. Slightly cloudy, yellowy gold like an afternoon sunset hues floating around in there. Really creamy off-white head composed of giant loose lazy bubbles and leaves excellent lacing and has fantastic legs.

Smells citrusy... Like hugely citrusy. Perhaps I'm thinking some citra hops used in this one? Definitely a combo of the big C's American hops to give a lot of grapefruit punch. It's clean and crisp.
Little bit of malt, but it's not sweet-- it's dry, allowing the hops to shine.

The finish has a great dry bitterness with tons of hop flavor still.

This is a beer I can absolutely sit and drink all day. This is spectacular. If this were on tap around me, I would stop out regularly to grab a pint... But it's also a beer that I could totally kill a growler solo.

The body has a bit of an oily feel on the back end but it is well-carbonated with a general prickly feel.

Well-done. This is the best of the HF beers I've had. Hands down.

08-19-2011 04:33:15 | More by AleWatcher
Lakemonster

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +9%

I had this beer at the Farmhouse in Burlington, VT. It is a local favorite and every time I visit I end up drinking at least one. The Edward tastes more like a IPA with low ABV, which really brings out the character of the hops. It is aromatic, delicious and you should get it if you have the chance. A Burlington, VT classic.

01-11-2013 21:55:59 | More by Lakemonster
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Edward

Another one of the fruits of our labor from our Greensboro weekend, this was a great brew for the nice weather we had, would definitely get this one again.

Look - Pours a slightly hazy copper amber with a rich soapy head. Abundant sticky as hell lacing, this was fresh from the brewery and enjoyed the same day. Minimal carbonation.

Smell - Tang and sour citrus (apricots, orange, lemon, nectarines) with a slight snappy malt. Mouth-watering.

Taste - Flavor blast of citrus creeps in and hits a pinnacle at hyper-sour apricot hops.

Mouthfeel - Full bodies but super drinkable, smooth and crisp. No booziness. Just enough carbonation to keep it snappy. Slightly sticky but in a good way.

Overall - Hill Farmstead never disappoints, this is a great Spring and Summer brew, refreshing and light for its style.

05-21-2013 11:25:19 | More by JMScowcroft
tigg924

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

Had on tap at the Three Penny Tap Room

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, orange-yellow in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: toasted malt, and tropical citrus hops

Taste: pineapple, tropical fruit, citrus hops, and light toasted malt in the back to balance the beer out nicely

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, light bodied, slightly bitter with some sweetness built in.

Overall: Another Hill Farmstead beer where the citrus just jumps. If all hops jumped like this, I could turn into a hop head. This certainly tastes more like a well crafted IPA than a pale ale. It may be my favorite pale ale. This is a bitter beer, but not overly so. Just really flavorful.

08-14-2011 19:06:28 | More by tigg924
jneiswender

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pored out of a 750 ml flip top bottle into a snifter glass

Pours a muddled old gold and orange body with a thick lace producing head

Smells like dill pine resin Lemon And faint malt

The taste is very similar to the smell profile

Medium mouth feel

I would certainly put this beer up there amongst the worlds best apa's. not the prototype of a Pliny the elder but close and a pleasant drink.

07-14-2013 23:38:59 | More by jneiswender
greenmtn1111

4.79/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 2-liter growler and poured into a glass chalice. Filled on 7/19/2013 and consumed on 7/22/13

Pours a large white, creamy, foamy head with super small bubbles – almost three fingers worth. Color is hazy yellow amber, touching on orange. I’m smelling huge amounts of citrus - predominantly grapefruit but also orange peel and a little bit of lemon zest. There’s a slight amount of piney aroma as well. The taste is almost perfection. It’s everything I want a pale ale to be. The malts and hops are completely balanced with an unrivaled lingering finish. The pale malt is wonderful. All the citrus is still there as it was on the nose and the fruity, citrusy hops are just enough without going too far. Mouthfeel is super creamy and it the head is retained all the way to the bottom of the glass. It would be tough to ask for a better pale ale. It quenches my thirst like none other.

07-24-2013 03:44:15 | More by greenmtn1111

Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 97/100

About as perfect as a beer can be in my eyes... Such a easy drinking and refreshing Pale Ale. Refreshing and easy. If i had to pick one beer to have forever, just so incredibly drinkable.

11-27-2013 04:22:54 | More by BrewUSA
FeDUBBELFIST

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%

Draft pour into a 10.5 oz tulip.

A: Served with two fingers of foamy white head with average (maybe slightly below) retention. Lace sticks fantastically. The body is orange amber with a hazy 70% opacity. Very good looking in the glass.

S & T: Top notch aroma, especially for an APA. Heavy mango pulp aromas. Grapefruit and mandarin orange back it up. Sweet and juicy hop bill. The nose and flavor are perfect and may be the closest an APA has ever come to an IPA. Minimal malts. Truly a work of art.

M: If there are ANY complaints to be made (and there aren't really), it's in the mouthfeel department. Not that Edward *really* needs it, but a heftier malt bill would have saved the mouthfeel from mediocrity. This brew is on the light and thin side and has semi-short flavor duration. Carbonation, however, is more than adequate, lively and fizzy.

D: This brew drinks phenomenally well and is easily better than most IPAs. How often do you come across a Pale Ale that is served in anything-less-than-a-pint-glass, all while commanding the price of a premier DIPA? And deserve it? Huh?

<crickets>

11-03-2010 23:15:33 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to BearsonAcid for providing this in a recent trade.
Another treat from Hill Farmstead.
Good looking pint of beer. A somewhat creamy off white head sits atop a slightly hazy peach/orange/amber colored beer. Rings of lace line the glass.
Very nice aroma that certainly screams hops, but also hints to a nice balance ahead (yes, it delivered on this) Juicy citrus, slight green grass and a whiff of light toasted malt..
Wonderful balanced Pale Ale. I could drink this all day long. Frankly, I would love a keg of this for the house. Really a testament to a balanced beer with a nice hop presence. Fruit in front.. Lots of nice bread flavors in the rear. A consistent and wonderful hop bitterness from front to back. This beer screams fresh…. The bread flavors are so inviting it’s wonderful. A touch of yeast at the end.
Really feels unfiltered. I want to say gritty, but I don’t want it to sound like a negative. It isn’t.. Opposite of slick. Just a hint of carbonation.
What a great pale ale. The freshness is unreal. Balance, flavor and feel. Well done.

09-12-2011 23:19:54 | More by Reagan1984