Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros

4.99/5  rDev +12.4%

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

4.98/5  rDev +12.2%

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

This is the best pale ale i have ever had, better than alpha king and peeper
this beer ours a light slightly hazy yellow with a good off white head. the smell is earthy and citrusy with almost not malt presence (nice and dry just the way i like it) the taste is dy hoppy citryusy and wonderful. the mouthfeel is well carbed and light boddied. I wish hill farmsead distributed to mass, maybe someday they will

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

I've had the pleasure of having Hill Farmstead's Edward Pale Ale several times on tap, most recently on a trip to Waterbury, where I drank it at the Reservoir with a buddy of mine and my girlfriend. We discussed superpowers. "What if you could speak any language in the world, but 50% of the time you said anything you sh*t yourself?" Ooh la la. I suppose it would Depends.

Edward pours a malty pale golden amber puffy white headed goodness. It smells almost like an IPA, but the malt backbone comes through in the nose too, and that tells you it's more of a pale. Bready biscuits, malt, caramel, and pine and sharp grapefruit hops come through in both the smell of it and the taste of it. It starts sweet, then sweeps through with hops at the end that finish clean. No trace of the 5.2% alcohol, not at all drying, and the carbonation and medium-body drink so sweetly that I want another as soon as I finish the pint. Hands down one of the best pale ales I've had.

And despite that conversation, I will use my words to order this any future time it's on tap. In English. It's a beautiful beer. But perhaps not worth dirty trousers.

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Easily one of my favorites of all time. Intense hop presence with citrus notes, especially Grapefruit. Beautiful hazy orange coloring with a gorgeous citrus/pine aroma. The bitterness hits hard at first and smoothes out into the citrus notes.
Have had mostly on tap at Farmhouse Tap & Grill, few other places might have it in Burlington.

4.93/5  rDev +11%

This is the best American beer I have ever tasted. Hands down. It makes me think of a cloistered European unfiltered Marzens perfection. If I could only drink one american beer for the rest of my life this would be it. I really just can't get over how amazing it is. It was shockingly good on the first sip. And many rounds later still just as amazing.

4.93/5  rDev +11%

Had this from a growler and on tap. Appearance is in the eye of the beholder so it shouldn't matter in terms of score but it is mildly cloudy with no sediment. It has a nice citrus pine aroma which I absolutely love.
The taste is what you smell. Smooth hoppiness. The carbonation is good
I rated this beer pretty high because it's good. More so because it's good and my wife likes it.

4.93/5  rDev +11%

While it's not an IPA, Edward is the beer that last fall renewed by interest in hoppy IPAs and pale ales after moving away from them a bit over the previous year. It's a phenomenal beer brewed in a unique and earnest setting, and one of my favorite beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

A: Pours a beautiful, reddish-copper amber with a haziness that glows beautifully when held to the sun. The head is quick and bubbly white, but leaves a nice bit of sticky lacing.

S: O! the Joy! The smell is exquisite and exceptionally fresh, with crisp, clean floral notes and a hint of cut grass. There's not much pine or citrus in here, but a bit, as well as a hint of bready malts. The floral, grassy hop notes are what dominant though, and their dominance is benevolent.

T: The taste follows the nose with the hops dominating, balanced as they are by the malts which don't do much talking of their own. The taste is floral and grassy as is the nose, with again a bit of pine, but very little in the way of citrus or herbal. It's incredibly clean with a wonderful bitter bite that never overwhelms.

M: Medium-bodied, fuller than expected but not in a bad way. The malts, which seem to stand well behind the hops in the nose and taste are evident here propping up the body. Carbonation is spot on and the feeling is dry without being dehydrating.

D: Supreme. The reasonably low ABV, exceptional body, aesthetic beauty, and superb taste and smell make this one of the best, most drinkable beers I've ever had. I imagine it owes some of its greatness to its freshness, but either way this is an excellent beer. It's wonderfully hoppy, bitter and flavorful without having some of the dehydrating characteristics of some IPAs and APAs, and would make a great all-night beer. At the anniversary party and in the three growler fills I've had, Edward is the beer I keep coming back to at Hill Farmstead. I dream of one day having a bierkeller with old shelves stocked full of beer around an old oak table and a keg of Edward at hand.

4.9/5  rDev +10.4%

I had a couple proper pints of Hill Farmstead Edward (in an English pub-style nonic glass) at The Crop, a great new restaurant in Stowe, Vermont. Edward was the only HF beer they had on tap, but it was in excellent company–they had stuff by Ommegang, Green Flash, Lagunitas, and Rodenbach as well, and Alchemist Heady Topper in cans, as well. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): Edward pours a brilliant, opaque, deep orange hue with some yellow highlights when held up to the light. Very cloudy, due to it being completely unfiltered. A 1.5 inch, billowy, crown of off-white foam sits atop this beauteous nectar. Plenty of sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as you drink. This is absolutely the BEST LOOKING pale ale I have ever seen.

Smell (4.5/5): Edward smells very hoppy, hinting at a decidedly hop-centric flavor profile: sweet tropical fruit and piney hop notes dominate. Biscuity and bready notes can also be discerned, along with an interesting...buttery note (?). An excellent, excellent nose.

Taste (5/5):This is most certainly one hoppy pale ale. Edward features serious complexity, though: the hops are fruity (grapefruit, passion fruit, and mango–flavors common to many hoppy Hill Farmstead beers), earthy, grassy, and deep. They are very nicely balanced by a biscuity malt backbone–as with the smell, notes of butter in there again. There is a lingering, dry bitterness that is refreshing and not overly astringent. Very impressive, and in my eyes, a perfectly executed hop-forward American Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Edward is medium bodied and has a pleasing medium level of carbonation that compliments the hop bite and dryness of this beer. It is slightly creamy. Hop resins prickle and coat the tongue. All these factors make Edward a pleasure to drink. The low ABV (5.2%) means you can (must, really) have a couple of these whenever you see it. Drinkability is absurdly high.

Overall (5/5): Hill Farmstead Edward is a superior American Pale Ale. Its delicious aroma, its exceptionally well-balanced fruity hop and biscuit malt flavors, and its out-of-this-world drinkability make it a true stand-out among not only beers of its style category, but among all the beers in the wide world of beerdom. Now, Edward may not be the most unusual or sought-after of Shaun Hill's fermented creations, but it certainly is one of the best and makes a great introduction to his other beers. Bravo, Hill Farmstead!

4.9/5  rDev +10.4%

Purchased this at the brewery. As many others have said it is so tasty with a perfect carbonation and overall drinkability that this would be my absolute standard if I could get it regularly. I feel this beer doesnt try to over power you, it comes at you in a subtle classy way with a very fine appreciation of how to deliver the taste of an IPA without overpowering your mouth. Shaun knows what he is doing and has made what I feel is by far the best session IPA out there.

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

4.86/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell isn't too overwhelming however I can pick up on just the right amount of hops with grapefruit and subtle lemon and orange. Reminds me of a toned down galaxy- I would say more prominent citrus notes and a bit of subtle tropical fruit in the background. The hops are lightly floral but still very juicy and I can still get some risinous tastes, but not too overwhelming. Taste is very well balanced- juicy and fruity hops come at you with grapefruit, tangerine, and a little lemon? I can notice the malt however its in the background and doesn't take away from the hoppy PA nature of the brew. Balance between the hops and malt is the key for this PA - however the hops are certainly brought to the forefront which is what I would want out of an PA of this nature. I prefer DIPAs above all else, however I loved this HF brew and I would certainly recommend it to anyone- don't let the APA style fool you, it still has tons of excellent hoppy character.

4.86/5  rDev +9.5%

Had his on draft at The Pizza Stone, I think in Chester, VT.

I had no expectations, because I knew nothing about this beer.
It had the malty hoppy smell of a brewery. As I tasted it, I could tell it had a high IBU, but it wasn't out of balance. This was an exceptional beer. I asked the bartender about it and she informed me that, "the brewery is the highest rated in the world."

Needless to say the beer blew me away!! One of the best all around beers I have ever had.

Experiences like this are what it's all about!

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery