Edward | Hill Farmstead Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
4.4

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Reviews: 325 | Ratings: 2,384
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a HF stemmed glass. Purchased 5 days ago at the brewery, best by today!

Pours a hazy, cloudy creamy orange body with a white frothy head that reduces quickly to leave some lacing and little retention.
Aromas of pine, flowers, ask me citrus, grapefruit shine though.
On the tongue huge floral notes stand out, light caramel, pine, and citrus on the follow through. Medium light body and medium carbonation, very easy drinker.

This pale ale is no doubt world class, smooth, and balanced: a great start to those who are looking to get into hoppy beers, as well as an excellent session beer for the seasoned craft beer drinkers.

4.71/5  rDev +7%

On tap at Coopers Craft Chelsea 9/25/15. Clear orange pour, firm head, tons of lacing. Smell is citrus, taste is clean pine and muted (not sweet) fruit. Remarkably easy drinking with a clean dry finish. Superb.

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks go out to tcassell1 for hookin this one up. Growler poured into a tulip.

A: I don't think a pale ale could look any better. Cloudy pale orange color. The pour dropped a huge 3 finger head that left tons of sticky lace.

A: The freshest hop nose imaginable. Big grapefruit, tangerine, and grass. The small malt profile shines through but the hops is what this one's all about.

T: again big citrus. Orange, grapefruit, and tangerine, flowed my a nice sweet malt backbone. The brew finishes very dry, and tangy. Just about perfect for an apa.

M: Medium body, good amount of carbonation. Again just about perfect for the style.

O: this is one of the best, if not the beat apa I've ever had. This growler will not last long, and I will be extremely sad when it's gone. This is excellent, and well worth seeking out. Skal.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Had on-tap at Sunswick 35/35 on 10/28/11 in Astoria, NY.
Review taken from notes.

This beer pours a nice slightly hazy golden copper color. It has a nice finger of white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves behind a nice sheet of lace on the glass. The nose smells of floral and citrus hops. There are some tropical fruit aromas here as well as a bit of caramel. The taste has a nice citrus flavor with some caramel in background. There is a nice hop flavor that gives a good amount of bitterness. There is a nice bit of pineapple and other tropical fruit flavors. The finish leaves some fruit flavors and hop bitterness lingering on the palate. This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is a nice amount of hop bitterness here, with some nice fruity sweetness that gives it nice balance. This has really good drinkability. I would have no problem downing a bunch of glasses of this throughout an evening. Overall, I think it is a really nice solid Pale Ale. The hop presence is really nice, as are the tropical fruit flavors. I really enjoyed this beer, and I would recommend trying it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pored out of a 750 ml flip top bottle into a snifter glass

Pours a muddled old gold and orange body with a thick lace producing head

Smells like dill pine resin Lemon And faint malt

The taste is very similar to the smell profile

Medium mouth feel

I would certainly put this beer up there amongst the worlds best apa's. not the prototype of a Pliny the elder but close and a pleasant drink.

4.27/5  rDev -3%

Served in a pint glass

Holy crap a HF growler of Edward, thanks Central PA group

In my opinion as APAs go they are either good or mediocre, there is no inbetween. This is good, damn good. This pours as most pale ales would a golden body with a white foam topper. The aroma is of many many hop varietals that I dare not have my nose try and decipher them all. All I can say is citrus and flowers work so well together whilst smelling this beer. The flavor is quite tasty as well. It's good for it's style and the malt body accents the perfectly added hops. The mouthfeel is smooth and delicious. Overall this is a good beer and more people should have the grand opportunity to be graced with what is clearly one of the top 5 of it's style.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

I've had the pleasure of having Hill Farmstead's Edward Pale Ale several times on tap, most recently on a trip to Waterbury, where I drank it at the Reservoir with a buddy of mine and my girlfriend. We discussed superpowers. "What if you could speak any language in the world, but 50% of the time you said anything you sh*t yourself?" Ooh la la. I suppose it would Depends.

Edward pours a malty pale golden amber puffy white headed goodness. It smells almost like an IPA, but the malt backbone comes through in the nose too, and that tells you it's more of a pale. Bready biscuits, malt, caramel, and pine and sharp grapefruit hops come through in both the smell of it and the taste of it. It starts sweet, then sweeps through with hops at the end that finish clean. No trace of the 5.2% alcohol, not at all drying, and the carbonation and medium-body drink so sweetly that I want another as soon as I finish the pint. Hands down one of the best pale ales I've had.

And despite that conversation, I will use my words to order this any future time it's on tap. In English. It's a beautiful beer. But perhaps not worth dirty trousers.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from tap at TJs in Paoli into a nonic pint glass. Freshly tapped.

A: Wow, how murky is this beer? Super murky and cloudy with a one finger white head. Nice full glass lacing that sticks.

S: Tons of citrus, floral and slight pine smells with some caramel sweetness. Nice.

T: The hops are really jumping. Loads of floral herbal flavors, tons of grapefruit, tangerine, some pineapple, peach and pear. The malt shines through the middle with some caramel sweetness, but the huge hops pound it down so it does not overcome the hops. Slight pine bitterness at the finish and a super clean but lasting finish. Wonderful.

MF: Just perfect. Medium, a bit prickly and bitter but still creamy somehow. No alcohol and just super drinkable.

O: This is one kick ass pale ale, probably the best I have ever had. There is a reason this is the "grandaddy" of HF, it is deserving. Everything you want in a pale ale, and even more. This beer is a thing of beauty. Awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on draft, taken from notes. Into a stemmed tulip. Devil's Den, South Philly

A - Hazy, Unfiltered orangish yellow color a pale ale should be. I love this look.

S - Grapefruit/Citrus smell.

T - Lots of Citrus, best tasting pale Ale I have had yet. There is really nothing that I would change about the taste of this beer. Nice amount of hops.

M -Texture is creamy and smooth. Not like most Pale Ale's a little thick for a PA but still great.

O - Wonderful Pale Ale. This is probably the best Pale ale I have had next to Zombie Dust . I just wish you could get this easier. In bottles also. But since that probably isn't going to happen I'll have to enjoy it on Tap when I see it around Town. This was my first Hill Farmstead beer and I want to try them all now. If this is any indication of how they brew I want more NOW.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My first taste of the highly coveted Hill Farmstead Ale was just a brief encounter: we had concert tickets and 15 minutes to kill, so the opportunity was there. Requesting Double Galaxy and Abner was a waste of time as all the Farmhouse had on tap was Edward.

For $6.50 you get a 13 oz goblet of this cloudy rust colored nectar that left a nominal head and has a very flowery nose with a bit of citrus in there,slightly malty: not a knockout punch aroma but a very pleasant one at that. This is a rich, delicately flavored ale that is nicely balanced with subtle flavors that rest on the palate beautifully, and fade into a caramel,floral, slightly citrusy aftertaste that disappeared a bit quicker than I would have liked, but this is not a DIPA either.

Most definitely a top notch Ale made with a thoughtful selection of hops, ale malt and well water from the Hill Farm. Very inviting and for those that appreciate a moderate amount of bitterness, it is a great choice: those expecting a wallop to the palate might feel let down on that front, but there is no denying the quality and the high level of craft to produce this complex and delicious Vermont ale.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Served on tap at The Reservoir in Waterbury, VT. The beer arrived in a pint glass with about a finger's worth of head. The beer is densely cloudy and looks like a golden mango. Not sure how this color comes to be. Nice, light lacing left on the glass.

S - Wonderful mix of citrusy hop scents. Maybe just a hint of bready malt. Maybe.

T - I'm getting all hop flavors here, with minimal bitterness. Excellent flavor.

M - Great medium body with a hint of carbonation. It feels really nice.

O - I'm beginning to understand why these beers are rated so highly. However, I can't help but notice that, while everything I tried on this recent trip has been delicious, it has also been relatively one dimensional. I'd love to try some other non IPA/APA styles.

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Had this from a growler and on tap. Appearance is in the eye of the beholder so it shouldn't matter in terms of score but it is mildly cloudy with no sediment. It has a nice citrus pine aroma which I absolutely love.
The taste is what you smell. Smooth hoppiness. The carbonation is good
I rated this beer pretty high because it's good. More so because it's good and my wife likes it.

4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Growler bottled 3/8/2014 and consumed shortly thereafter. Poured into a HF tulip.

A - Classic HF appearance: murky with a nice head and excellent lacing. Lighter colored than their IPAs and DIPAs, but still a rich golden hue. For an < 6% beer, it gives the appearance of a full bodied IPA.

O - Super aromatic and intensely hoppy for a pale ale. Mounds of citrus. One of the most pleasant smelling APAs I have had.

T - Very crisp, bursting with hops for a nice grassy flavor. Just enough breadiness to balance the hops without weighing down the beer. Restrained a bit, so it leaves you wanting more.

M - Oily and super creamy, provides that expected HF mouthfeel. This beer is extremely drinkable.

O - My favorite pale ale. Hill Farmstead is my favorite brewery for a reason, and its no surprise that their "standard" brew hits all the right notes. Edward is simply a classic.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a pint glass

A - the first pour, which was quite cold, didn't produce much head. Subsequent pours after warming a bit produced a good inch or more or loose white head. Appears a translucent golden color. Very nice looking beer.

S - lots of floral hope with some citrus peel. Orange and lemon zest.

T - quick kick of bitter and citrus grapefruit. Some richer orange peel type flavored, ends with a crisp bitter finish, leaving a floral/lemon aftertaste.

M - medium high carb, lots of oily hop, nice.

O - I would drink it all the time if I could. Strays away from the in your face imperial approach and is just a nice medium presentation of hops.

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap in a tulip glass.

A- Hazy light golden orange color with a 1f clean white head. Heavy lacing.

S- Big citrus hop nose.

T- Big citrus hop flavor, grapefruit. The pale and caramel malts shore it up.

M- Chewy. Good carbonation. Malt sweet and hop bite balance.

O- I love the 5.2% abv of this brew, so drinkable. 85 ibus are a lot for an APA, but the malts hold their own. Excellent.

Very hazy, almost murky with a good head and retention. Not much by the way of lacing but looks hoppy alright. Aroma is nothing special, mostly residual sweetness and such. Something something sweet citrus. Unimpressed for the most part although the slight dankness is finally doing it for me.

Taste kills it. Goddamn this is a great tasting pale ale that's quite different from any other I have had. It has elements of rind, it's very bitter or at least the perceived bitterness is up there, and it's dry. That's all I ask for. Fuck, I don't think I can recall beers that have been as "drinkable" as this.

3, 3, 4.5, 5, 4

4.18/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tap at armsby abbey poured into a snifter

Hazy orange , off white one finger foam cap, good lacings

Aroma of citrus

Hop taste on the font and sides of the tongue

Sudsy , bitter at the roof of the mouth, lingering hop bitterness

Good beer

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Beachwood Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Just greatness. A Pale Ale with curves. Right amount of hops, right amount of slight, malt texture... It's just clean. Mr. clean can take a hike. It's just good on good.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell isn't too overwhelming however I can pick up on just the right amount of hops with grapefruit and subtle lemon and orange. Reminds me of a toned down galaxy- I would say more prominent citrus notes and a bit of subtle tropical fruit in the background. The hops are lightly floral but still very juicy and I can still get some risinous tastes, but not too overwhelming. Taste is very well balanced- juicy and fruity hops come at you with grapefruit, tangerine, and a little lemon? I can notice the malt however its in the background and doesn't take away from the hoppy PA nature of the brew. Balance between the hops and malt is the key for this PA - however the hops are certainly brought to the forefront which is what I would want out of an PA of this nature. I prefer DIPAs above all else, however I loved this HF brew and I would certainly recommend it to anyone- don't let the APA style fool you, it still has tons of excellent hoppy character.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Dive Bar. This beer pours a hazy yellow, and clean white head. The smell is a tropic face slap! huge aromas of orange and pineapple. Taste was even bigger than the smell. Tropic flavor that linger forever. Loved it. At the top of the pale ale list for me.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 32-oz swing top growler.

The color is a hazed amber straw, which is topped by about 2 fingers' depth of head. The head fades quickly leaving slight ghostly lacing on the sides of the glass.

The aroma is without a doubt on of the best I have ever experienced in a pale ale. So much going on, and yet, so crisp. There is no muddled feeling, even with the various hop notes that I am pulling out of it. Floral and citrusy hops (grapefruit and lemon zest) contrast nicely against the background of a hint of sweet caramel malt. A touch of piney hop aroma in there for some emphasis, and a good dose of bitterness, to boot.

The flavor is phenomenal. Bitter enough that I thought it was an IPA. I was shocked to hear that it was not. However, the levity of the palate certainly does track more closely to a pale ale. The hop characteristics from the aroma are again all present in the flavor, with the floral notes overwhelming the citrus a bit. As much as I like floral, I felt that the citrus was a starring component in the nose, and I was sad to lose it.

I have to say that this is one of the best Pale Ales that I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. This stuff comes highly recommended.

4.07/5  rDev -7.5%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a nice amber golden color that is perfectly clear and has a finger if head that dissipates rapidly, leaves a decent amount of spotty lacing
S: pure grapefruit hop notes, clean, sour, and solid
T: great taste, extremely reminiscent of flower power from Ithaca brewery, grapefruit hops, sweet and sour
M: gentle carbonation, slightly thick, leaves the mouth feeling sticky and dry
O: a great brew close to flower power but doesn't drink quite as fresh or bright, still awesome

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the Blind Tiger:

A: Golden hay with a small white head, a bit of lacing.

S: TONS of citrus hops. Hits the nose in a crushing blast. It really smells amazing.

T: The flavor does not let down, a juicy tropical hop nugget coats the mouth. There is just a hint of toasty bread somewhere in there, but the hops dominate (in a good way). For such huge hop flavor, the bitterness is minimal.

M: Moderately carbonated, juicy velvet feel.

D: I could drink this as a daily brew. At 5.2% this is a beer that would be a regular go to if it was more available.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a Hill Farmstead growler I had filled at the brewery on 4/12/14.

A: Beautifully hazy, bright golden orange color with a thick white head that subsides leaving some nice lacing.
S: Orange/citrus and mild piney hops.
T: Follows the nose perfectly. Not a dank hop flavor and an easy drinker.
M: Great. Slight dryness to it.
O: Just another hit via the genius that is Hill Farmstead!

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Just made a trip up to the Hill Farmstead a few days ago. Awesome place and great beers. Here's the write up on Edward.

Pours a cloudy, burnt orange with a thin white head. Nice lacing left on the glass. Looks good for an APA.

Orange citrus, peach, sweet malts and floral hops on the nose. I'm really liking the hop usage on this one. Not too bitter or grassy, just an elegant floral quality.

Tipping back the glass reveals a decent amount of bitter hops, orange and grapefruit on the tongue. Touch of orange peel with light malts. Nice floral presence in the taste as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. Malty at first with lingering bitterness on the finish.

Very drinkable and definitely a good session beer. Crisp and refreshing with light bitterness. This beer has a lot of flavor for an APA and is a pleasure to drink. Great for a lazy summer afternoon. Nice work Shaun.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery