Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EdwardEdward

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros
lakersfan16

4.75/5  rDev +7%

09-16-2012 20:14:03 | More by GreenMountainBoy
jl28r1

09-16-2012 20:11:57 | More by jl28r1

Serving type: On tap many times. Mostly at the Skinny Pancake Creperie and the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. I'm not even sure where I had it first. I had never planned on reviewing it, or any other beer, but it's so good that I've decided to type about it.

Appearance: It looks fine to me. Like a glass of beer. The glasses they serve it in at Three Penny Taproom are great. Sort of like a pint glass, with the Hill Farmstead Logo. Honestly the glass is so nice, it does add something, I think.

Smell: It smells like it tastes, as far as I know. I sort of object to the idea of discounting points for relatively unimportant considerations like appearance, or even smell. As far as I know, it smells like heaven.

Taste: The taste is brilliant. Fresh. Hearty. Hoppy. It's like the best IPA ever.

Mouthfeel: My mouth feels absolutely fantastic when I'm drinking this beer.

Overall: 11.

When I see the detail that some people have put into their reviews, I almost feel apologetic that I haven't labored over the details more. Three Penny Taproom has a lot of great beers (24 taps), but I often get buyer's remorse if I get anything other than the Edward, including other Hill Farmstead beers. From what I've had, a Sixpoint Resin is the only thing close to the heavenly Edward, although a lot of the other Hill Farmstead beers aren't too far behind, like Citra and Abner, which are nice because they taste somewhat similar to the Edward.

All of their beers taste fresh and flowery, that I've had.

From my experience, I've never had a beer with such a good finish as the Edward. In this respect, I think it does outclass the other Hill Farmstead beers I've had. There's just some kind of bonus in the after taste. Dry and inviting. It's such a hearty and delicious beer, and my favorite of all time. The challenge now is to find something comparable. I've never tried Pliny the Elder which I've read is really good. I've seen polls where the Dogfish Head 90 minute is listed as a top five beer. There is absolutely no comparison: the Edward is much, much better than the 90 minute, but then again, I think the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute.

Sorry to go off topic. This is my first and perhaps last review, and it's just odd that no one is giving the Edward all 5s. I see the tips on the side that all 5s are to be used rarely, but come on. If there was ever a beer that deserves it, it's this one. Otherwise it's misleading.

Update: Reading more reviews, it sounds like I would really like Zombie Dust. I'll ask Three Penny if they can get some of that.

09-14-2012 03:59:52 | More by 433
nathanjohnson

09-13-2012 11:58:18 | More by nathanjohnson
Arbitrator

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Chilled growler into a glass. Thanks!

A: Pours a murky, nearly opaque, soft peach body. Clearly unfiltered, which is something I usually criticize in APAs and IPAs. Forms a finger of off-white head that vanishes after about 30 seconds. Some register marks during the initial sips.

S: Bright citrus pith: cantaloupe, honeydew melon, grapefruit. A touch of pine needle rounds out the back end. Very little malt character, with a small biscuit note throughout.

T: That bright, beautiful citrus nose dominates the taste. Melon and grapefruit flesh lead the way, gradually segueing into pine needles. The aftertaste is moderately bitter, which the biscuit malt base does little to offset. The exhalation resurrects honeydew and brings some peach. Lovely.

M: Medium-bodied; this feels a little heavier than most pale ales. But it cleans up well; bitterness lingers in the aftertaste for only a little while before falling off. No unpleasant stickiness. It makes the beer eminently drinkable.

O: Russian River's Row 2, Alpine's Hoppy Birthday, and Three Floyds' Zombie Dust are probably the most popular pale ales on BA right now. This and Hill Farmstead's Citra should be in the conversation, as well. Superlative for the style. I feel almost like a broken record saying how good Hill Farmstead's hoppy beers are, but when it's true...

09-13-2012 04:30:32 | More by Arbitrator

DLS168

09-03-2012 00:32:44 | More by DLS168
Holland

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

A: very cloudy golden amber color with a small head that stays

S: amazing smell of citrus grapefruit, melon, and grain

T: delicious fruity flavor with bitter hops and some bread

M: good Spritz carbonation and light body

O: most excellent beer. Looks like a homebrew.

09-01-2012 15:54:07 | More by Holland

08-29-2012 04:03:16 | More by Auror
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from tap into tall HF pint at three penny Montpelier, VT. Pours a hazy orange with really nice foam head, with sticky as hell lacing. Really hoppy citrus/grapefruit aromas. Slight citrus and malt flavours with a "raw" hop flavour but not bitter. Its creamy smooth for an APA and really easy to drink. Such a fantastic brew.

08-28-2012 01:38:35 | More by DrinkSlurm