Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2lt growler I grabbed at hill farmstead yesterday. Poured into a hotel glass

A: pours a murky golden amber with a finger of white head that leavs tons of lacing... A very nice lookin beer

S: this deffinatly is hoppy and aromatic, a good amount of hops jump right out with citrus and pine aromas, a light graininess and a touch of caramel malt as well when the beer hits room temperature, but the aroma is mostly a delicious medly of hops.

T: is much like the aroma, delicious hop flavor over a bready and lightly caramely malt backbone, deffinatly delicious. The hops give loads of citrus flavor, mango, citrus rind... Along with some nice, slightly resinous pine.... Never getting overly bitter, very nicley done.

M: nice medium lush and creamy mouthfeel, highly drinkable with a dry finish and a touch of lingering bitterness.

O: an amazing pale ale, loads of hoppy citrus goodness, excellent all the way through, awesome.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Not the first time I have had this but it is always a pleasure. Consumed at Smuggler's Notch State Park while camping, notes taken then. 750ml growler.

A- Cloudy pour with a golden orange body into a 4oz taster glass, quite hazy. A frothy white head forms with a finger in size and retains decently. Good lace webs.

S- Nice hop presence right off the bat, not IPA level or over the top though. Notes of mango, citrus zest and fruits come to mind. Beyond that it is balanced by cereal grains, caramel and yeast bread.

T- Starts off like the nose with some great hop character. Pine and citrus rind make more noise here with some tropical fruit hints behind that. Balanced very nicely with notes of cracked grains, yeast bread and slight caramel sweetness.

Crisp lighter end body with a nice creamy substance to it. Nice carbonation level supports the flavors well. Clean bitterness in the finish.

Right where modern pale ales should be. Hoppy but balanced nicely by malt and yeast. Would probably buy a 12-pack of this bi-weekly if I could, I can dream.

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler thanks to ILOVESTOUTS, poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pour: Completely hazy orange with a finger plus of sticky white head. Head leaves a little lacing, but not too much.

Smell: Grapefruit and tangerine mostly, but with a nice bready, raw dough sweetness in the background. Not as in your face on the nose as other HF beers.

Taste: Huge burst of tangerine and mango, followed by a light resin and light doughy oat sweetness. Solid bitterness. Lingers with oranges.

Mouthfeel: This is so drinkable, definitely more so than Zombie Dust. Juiciness hangs around on the palate, but not in a cloying way whatsoever.

Overall: An amazing APA that sets the standard as a drinkable and refreshing go-to beer.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

3.5/5  rDev -21.2%

4.75/5  rDev +7%

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Serving type: On tap many times. Mostly at the Skinny Pancake Creperie and the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. I'm not even sure where I had it first. I had never planned on reviewing it, or any other beer, but it's so good that I've decided to type about it.

Appearance: It looks fine to me. Like a glass of beer. The glasses they serve it in at Three Penny Taproom are great. Sort of like a pint glass, with the Hill Farmstead Logo. Honestly the glass is so nice, it does add something, I think.

Smell: It smells like it tastes, as far as I know. I sort of object to the idea of discounting points for relatively unimportant considerations like appearance, or even smell. As far as I know, it smells like heaven.

Taste: The taste is brilliant. Fresh. Hearty. Hoppy. It's like the best IPA ever.

Mouthfeel: My mouth feels absolutely fantastic when I'm drinking this beer.

Overall: 11.

When I see the detail that some people have put into their reviews, I almost feel apologetic that I haven't labored over the details more. Three Penny Taproom has a lot of great beers (24 taps), but I often get buyer's remorse if I get anything other than the Edward, including other Hill Farmstead beers. From what I've had, a Sixpoint Resin is the only thing close to the heavenly Edward, although a lot of the other Hill Farmstead beers aren't too far behind, like Citra and Abner, which are nice because they taste somewhat similar to the Edward.

All of their beers taste fresh and flowery, that I've had.

From my experience, I've never had a beer with such a good finish as the Edward. In this respect, I think it does outclass the other Hill Farmstead beers I've had. There's just some kind of bonus in the after taste. Dry and inviting. It's such a hearty and delicious beer, and my favorite of all time. The challenge now is to find something comparable. I've never tried Pliny the Elder which I've read is really good. I've seen polls where the Dogfish Head 90 minute is listed as a top five beer. There is absolutely no comparison: the Edward is much, much better than the 90 minute, but then again, I think the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute.

Sorry to go off topic. This is my first and perhaps last review, and it's just odd that no one is giving the Edward all 5s. I see the tips on the side that all 5s are to be used rarely, but come on. If there was ever a beer that deserves it, it's this one. Otherwise it's misleading.

Update: Reading more reviews, it sounds like I would really like Zombie Dust. I'll ask Three Penny if they can get some of that.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery