1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EdwardEdward

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros

Roy1586, Oct 15, 2013

nickfl, Oct 13, 2013

Lovely85, Oct 13, 2013

Kevin_Siqveland, Oct 12, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -14.9%

As a Vermonter, I've been lucky enough to have Edward on tap at my place of employment at all times. People love it. The Hill Farmstead joke (if you haven't heard it) is that THIS beer is the best beer ever created. But it's not as good as last years. (This works with all Hill Farmstead, obviously).
That said, I only like Edward. I do not love it. Most beer lovers seem to have embraced the idea that the hoppier a beer is, the better it must be. Edward, which must be pretty high in IBU's, represents what I don't like about the current craze.
Edward is beautiful. It's the perfect blonde/golden/orange mix and it always has a pleasant thick white head.
It smells amazing. Sean Hill knows how to use and blend hops better than anyone and I love the mix of citrus/butterscotch/pine that I get from Edward.
When I taste it however, I feel that the hops and bitterness therein mask it's flavor. Or rather, this IS the flavor and I wonder if people are so taken aback by their sudden numbness and so on board with all the hype that they say "Hey! That's a really hoppy pale ale! It MUST be good!" And don't get me wrong. There aren't that many sheep in the world and the true experts agree that this is a great beer. So I'm not trying to say it's bad. I just think that as far as APA's go, this one is a bit extreme in the IBU's and better labeled an IPA. After one Edward, I want an IPA. When possible, I normally switch to Abner or another Hill in which I find the extreme hops use to be more akin to the style and less of an obstruction to its taste.
The mouthfeel, as with all great hoppy beers, is wonderful. Honestly, I like drinking Edward more because of the way it coats your mouth than the way it tastes on your tongue.
Overall, Edward is a solid beer. But compared to other Hill Farmstead offerings (What Is Enlightenment? The single hop Citra, Grassroots Legitimacy IPA or Abner, just to name a few that I enjoy more), I feel that Edward is overrated.

SnacksForMax, Oct 12, 2013

williamjbauer, Oct 09, 2013

NHhomebrewguy, Oct 09, 2013

JamieDuncan, Oct 05, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

various draft servings in and around Waterbury

Served a slightly hazed, apricot in color with a frothy, dense white head that retains well and leaves heavy lace. From the first encounter, this uniquely flavorful and balanced pale really showed off how great a typically simple style can be if crafted properly. Lots of tropical, citrusy hop character with a lovely presence softened by notes of herbal grass, peach, and the pale bready malt body. Lush hops notes with a very tempered, midrange bitterness complimenting a light malt sweetness. Light-moderate body with a moderate carbonation and dry finish with a touch of resin. Rests near the top of the apa heap.

blackie, Oct 04, 2013

TheAnk, Oct 04, 2013

Beer21, Oct 04, 2013

VTBeerTrade, Oct 03, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a foggy oranges with a beautiful frothy head of thick, foamy goodness. Citrus and grass aromas, on the soft side at first, but deep and fresh. Tangerine juice, lemon zest, flowers, and faint cereal grain with a hint of herbal/scallion/dank weed. Flavor is so green, fresh, and juicy...hoppy grapefruit, tangerine, pine, peachy sweetness, and spicy, slightly herbal notes. Medium bodied and very smooth, lightly carbonated, and dry with a lingering bitter finish. We had no problem killing the growler in short order.

wedge, Oct 03, 2013
4.71/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I live 1.5 hours from Greensboro and make the trip out there every other month.
Edward I enjoy from growler fills on site at HFB.
Pouring into a snifter the color is a medium golden hue. Nice head forms from an aggressive pour.
The aromas I get from the glass are stunning. Fruit, citrus, sweetness and alcohol. Glorious. It rivals Double Sunshine for magnificent aroma.
Taking a mouthful reveals a glorious balance of hop based citrus flavors and mellow sweetness. This is beer I could drink all day. It's not overwhelming, yet not overly subtle. Perfectly crafted.
Nice light bubbles form a nice mouthfeel.
Edward is a perfectly crafted beer and one of my all time favorites.

BoldRulerVT, Oct 03, 2013