Edward - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edward Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

3.8/5  rDev -14.4%

As a Vermonter, I've been lucky enough to have Edward on tap at my place of employment at all times. People love it. The Hill Farmstead joke (if you haven't heard it) is that THIS beer is the best beer ever created. But it's not as good as last years. (This works with all Hill Farmstead, obviously).
That said, I only like Edward. I do not love it. Most beer lovers seem to have embraced the idea that the hoppier a beer is, the better it must be. Edward, which must be pretty high in IBU's, represents what I don't like about the current craze.
Edward is beautiful. It's the perfect blonde/golden/orange mix and it always has a pleasant thick white head.
It smells amazing. Sean Hill knows how to use and blend hops better than anyone and I love the mix of citrus/butterscotch/pine that I get from Edward.
When I taste it however, I feel that the hops and bitterness therein mask it's flavor. Or rather, this IS the flavor and I wonder if people are so taken aback by their sudden numbness and so on board with all the hype that they say "Hey! That's a really hoppy pale ale! It MUST be good!" And don't get me wrong. There aren't that many sheep in the world and the true experts agree that this is a great beer. So I'm not trying to say it's bad. I just think that as far as APA's go, this one is a bit extreme in the IBU's and better labeled an IPA. After one Edward, I want an IPA. When possible, I normally switch to Abner or another Hill in which I find the extreme hops use to be more akin to the style and less of an obstruction to its taste.
The mouthfeel, as with all great hoppy beers, is wonderful. Honestly, I like drinking Edward more because of the way it coats your mouth than the way it tastes on your tongue.
Overall, Edward is a solid beer. But compared to other Hill Farmstead offerings (What Is Enlightenment? The single hop Citra, Grassroots Legitimacy IPA or Abner, just to name a few that I enjoy more), I feel that Edward is overrated.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery