2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AbnerAbner

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,194 | Reviews: 243 | Show All Ratings:
durrrr

Enjoyed from a growler picked up at the brewery last Saturday. I've had Abner a few times, but this week it really stood out as one of my all time favorite DIPA's.

The appearance is a cloudy/hazy orange, apricot, straw color with a nice 1.5 finger head that fades to a thin coating. Beautiful color.

The nose is extremely fresh. you get this farm fresh splash of apricot, peach, grapefruit,mango and maybe apple even? In addition to the fruit, you get some nice pine notes balanced by an elegant floral presence. Extraordinary and world class.

The flavor profile is amazing. bright and fresh fruit hops with less of the piney/resinous notes. Not the most bitter DIPA but extremely well balanced for the style. The carbonation is nearly perfect. medium carbonation in the beginning but yet so smooth and creamy towards the finish producing a tremendous overall mouthfeel. You get a hint of biscuit malt towards the finish but ever so slight and you can barely notice the 8% abv. The finish is slightly dry yet lingering. Not as dry as Hill Farmstead's Society & Solitude #3.

Overall certainly one of my favorite DIPA's. World Class. Each sip left me in great anticipation of the next. Scary drinkable. Probably my favorite from Hill Farmstead to date. Thank you Shaun Hill.

03-31-2012 13:51:28 | More by durrrr
starrdogg

District of Columbia

Reviewed from notes - on-tap at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier in late February.

Beer pours a beautiful hazy yellow-orange with a nice white head. The appearance makes me think of citrus fruit for some reason, and really is the perfect color for a DIPA. Smell is incredible - I get a blast of citrus fruits and amazing hops. The taste follows suit, it's really like a party in my mouth, bright citrus flavors take the lead, but this is incredibly balanced and easy to drink for a DIPA. Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect, medium-bodied with excellent carbonation a bit of tingling and even some stickiness. Overall, this really might be my favorite beer ever. I've had it countless times, but drinking it on tap is the way that this beer needs to be consumed. Some of the growlers have held up really well, others not so much, but it would only get this score from me on tap. When served straight from this tap, this beer deserves a perfect 5.0 score, the best score I've ever given to a beer on BA.

04-25-2012 03:39:23 | More by starrdogg
Arbitrator

Chilled 750mL growler into a glass. Thanks, Ben! Consumed on a beach in Kaua'i.

A: Pours an unfiltered copper body that glows a burnt orange against the setting sun. I normally love clear IPAs, and I mark down the unfiltered ones for a reason. But, for reasons that will become clear as you read on, I had to make an exception here.

S: Peaches, mango, pineapple -- this is a tropical citrus smorgasbord. Having eaten nonstop tropical fruit since I arrived on this island, this beer is a liquid reminder of the excellence of my surroundings. It has a restrained pale malt nose that imparts only the lightest sweetness.

T: Tropical citrus: mango, peach, pineapple, and the rind of orange and lemon and grapefruit. The "rind" is mentioned because there is a mild bitterness found here; it is sticky and lingering, but not overpowering or palate-wrecking. The pale malt imparts enough sweetness to give the beer heft without making it seem thin and insubstantial. This is the oxymoronic "balance" that people speak of in DIPAs.

M: Great hoppy flavor with modest bitterness, yet a clean finish. I find myself struggling to find a flaw here. There is none. The beer hides it ABV smoothly, it carries no extra sweetness, and it doesn't ruin the palate with excessive bitterness. This is clean to a fault.

O: I would be inclined to say I'm being generous toward this beer given the particular setting, but I also consumed a growler of HF Citra IPA, from the same box, prior to this trip, in my drab apartment. I found that one amazing, as well. I review harshly, but there's simply nothing to criticize here. This is an affordable, exceptionally well-crafted beer. It is hard to acquire in trade for a reason. I'm sorry to contribute to the hype, but this is world-class. I hope I get to drink a 2L of this in the future.

07-02-2012 02:13:19 | More by Arbitrator
SBXLII

There's only so many words that can capture beers as good as this, let alone with the likes of What Is Enlightenment, Legitimacy and Heady Topper. Blasts of unfathomable citrus, the taste goes on and on and on. These here Hill offerings are the best of the best, hands down - the end of the line.

06-13-2013 01:10:00 | More by SBXLII
alaimoa

Connecticut

Growler purchased by TauroE and brought to CT. One of the best beers, it ranks a perfect score easily

Appearance is golden with small head
Smells of predominantly pine, citrus and then a hint of pinecone
Tastes less bitter than heady with all the taste/mouthfeel
Limited biscuit
Outstanding on all metrics and a easy must buy and seek out whenever possible

07-26-2013 21:02:12 | More by alaimoa
BTVflatlander

Vermont

Served in a Citizen Cider snifter from a 2L growler obtained same-day in Greensboro.

A: Attractive orange, cloudy, and very Hill-esque.

S: Strong citrus hops--as to be expected--and alcohol.

T: Kind of like Susan on steroids. Tropical citrus and apricot overwhelms with a significant alcohol finish.

M: Perfect, as to be expected from Hill.

O: Undoubtedly one of Hill's finest. Don't take my word for it though, it's one of Hill's most reviewed and still perfect. One of the few beers I could drink without end. Try it if you can.

10-12-2013 01:56:58 | More by BTVflatlander
dar482

This beer comes in a bright hazy lemon yellow.

The aroma is big juicy hops of pineapple, mango, peaches. A bit of yeasty note along with a light white bready malt. The beer has a medium plus to heavy bitterness.

The beer despite the lack of Citra or newer American hops has beautiful fruity flavors, despite a theme of pine and herbacious bitterness. It is one of the best hoppy beers from Hill Farmstead outside of Societe and Solitude #6 and Susan, of the ones I have had.

03-20-2014 04:56:01 | More by dar482
MrKsBeer

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Screw a traditional review. This is not a traditional beer.

Imagine you're on a tropical island. The sun is setting, and the edibly humid air has cooled down to just above a little chilly as you navigate on foot through the jungle. You happen upon a field of wild fruit trees and the sweet smell of pineapple, mango, peach, apple, grapefruit, and banana permeate and saturate the early evening air. As you look closer you realize there are wild hop vines that have grown up the tree trunks, and the giant green hop buds, that appear to be everywhere, are glistening with dew. The crisp hop bud funk cuts the ripe fruit in the air in such a way that you feel more refreshed with every breath. You excitedly pluck a huge bud from the nearest peach tree and raise it to your nose with a large expectant inhale. "Oh my God," you think to yourself, smiling like a fool. "This is it. This is the freshest, crispest, ripest, funkiest, most delicious thing I have ever encountered. If only I could bottle this and take it with me..."

Well... fortunately for us, Shaun Hill did it for us, and because I don't know how he did it, I will just assume that he's some kind of wizard.

After years of drinking and evaluating beer, Abner reminds me why I loved beer in the first place. Halfway through the bottle I became angry when I realized that I couldn't have more of it without driving up there, which is easier said than done. Then I put the glass to my face and took another deep breath through my nose and the anger melted into acceptance and appreciation. Abner is an amazingly crafted beverage. I love it.

My humblest thanks to you, Shaun and everybody at Hill Farmstead. You deserve all of the praise and respect that I can give.

05-01-2013 00:56:08 | More by MrKsBeer
nootch23

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 2L growler into a tulip glass

A- pours a hazy, golden orange with about a finger and a half worth of white head.

S- upfront I get aromas of pine, citrus and melon. Also, a little grassy, earthy scent. Very dank.

T- Lemon with orange peel is what comes through at the front/middle of the tongue giving way to the hop bitterness. Very well balanced and light and smooth. Very easy to drink.

M- leaves a dry finish in the mouth with a residue of the bitterness as well as a citrusy, lemon taste.

O - Abner is one of the best DIPAs I've ever had that compares and rivals Heady Topper. Definitely is worth the hype and worth seeking out. Very well balanced, smooth and very easy to drink. Hill Farmstead really has crafted a masterpiece with this beer. Will always get this when available.

05-31-2013 19:47:27 | More by nootch23
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

The beer is yellowish to orange in color, and mildly hazy. The head is a finger or so thick and leaves a healthy amount of lacing upon the glass. The aroma...ah. Wonderful. A barrage of tropical citrus fruits, most notably mango, pineapple, and orange, fill the olfactory senses with a hop lover's dream come true. While the flavor doesn't quite live up to the expectations delivered by the superb aroma, this beer is delicious nonetheless. Remarkably drinkable and wonderfully smooth on the palate. Highly recommended.

07-05-2011 18:42:21 | More by Huhzubendah
pschul4

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

HUGE thanks to Celticfutblclub for this one! Alan is the best!

A- Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a 1" white head

S- Stong citrus hops. Nothing else here! Not for weaklings! Intense hops that destroy everything in their path!

T- Same awesome hop presense as the nose. Holy tits mang you gotta try dis stuff! Citrus and pine through and through, simply fantastic

M- Smooth as silk, so great. So so great

O- Best ipa I've ever had. Heady doesnt hold up to this

10-26-2012 01:49:19 | More by pschul4
Gatch

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Hazy, golden-yellow like freshly mulled cider. Huge, frothy, white head with a bunch of lace but little retention.

S: An explosion of aromas. I could smell this beer from a few feet away after popping open the growler. Tart, citrusy hop oils cling to your nostrils. It's crazy. Few have smelled better. Just a tiny booze presence but it lends a sugary and sweet quality when you dig your nose deep.

T: What can I say that hasn't been said already and as displayed in the average score. Absolutely outstanding. The hops obviously steal the show but there is plenty of malt and some booze to balance it out and make this a discernible Double IPA.

M: Like chewing on fresh hop cones and citrus rinds. So damn hoppy. Perfectly carbonated, perfectly bitter and dry, and perfectly boozy to complement the intense hop presence. I can't get over how smooth yet properly carbonated this and Edward are. Boggles the mind. And soooo easy to drink!

O: It's such a pleasure to drink this beer. Very happy that I have 2L's. This review is based on my third pint glass over the span of a week since receiving the growler on Thanksgiving and being filled the day before Thanksgiving. Hasn't lost much since being poured fresh.

Nearly perfect. I think I'm becoming a HF fanboy...

11-30-2012 01:56:21 | More by Gatch
VelvetExtract

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

A-Fresh from the brewery's tap. Amazing little place they got up there. Pours a delicious orange amber color. Hazy liquid. Head is awesome. Big, fluffy, retains and laces perfectly.

S-Huge hop bomb. Just tropical fruits and a steady malt base. So fresh smelling. A bunch of citrus. I am taken back by the fresh and juicy hops in the nose.

T-Oh my. This one is just a deliciously hopped piece of excellence. Oranges, grapefruit and anything else you would want here. My type of DIPA. Great hop profile. So big with a nice bitterness. Exceptionally hop-forward. And its as fresh as it can get.

M-Big, sticky, oily and resinous. Awesome feel for a DIPA. Great carbonation. Dry and lasting.

O/D-Nailed it. My goodness can Vermont put together a good beer. I absolutely loved this. I will give the victory to Heady Topper in a head-to-head, but its pretty much splitting hairs at that point. World class, top notch. Unbelievable.

07-24-2011 21:02:14 | More by VelvetExtract
nesarebad

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Abner - 750 ml swing-top growler filled at HF two days ago. Poured in to my Hill Farmstead custom made glass. Got this on my trip up to Vermont to sample the wonderful beer that has come out of Vermont's booming beer scene.

A - Pours murky and cloudy with hues of amber and orange. Voluminous frothy two finger head. This is not a filtered beer and will not be losing any points for that. This is what a hoppy pale ale should look like - stunning.

S - What can be said about something that is near perfection. Juicy, punchy, dank, and substantial. The aroma of this beer hits all the right hop notes - pine, citrus, and herbal. A harmonious blend that tempts you to dive right in.

T - The promise on the nose is upheld in the taste. A harmonious(using this word again) blend of all the right hop notes. The C-hops are front and center here, but at just the right blend. A citrus punch if I have ever had one in a beer, and that is right not wrong. You get a tight juicy delivery that is just so...legit. This beer is delivering on all accounts for me.

M - Smooth and slightly effervescent. This drinks well for a 'double' pale ale. You could drink this all night, but it would begin to pack a punch after your 2nd or 3rd beer. Nothing harsh, nothing over the top.

O - Hill Farmstead prides themselves on making hop forward pale ales, and this is a shining example of their craft. Not like many of the Imperial IPA's you see out there that seem to have either bitterness or sweetness turned up to ten. As they classify this as an Imperial Pale Ale, I see this designation most fitting. You get the best of a nice clean pale ale with the best of a Imperial IPA showing off its hop muscles. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone as this is a beer that transcends all tastes. Impeccable...

06-01-2013 04:17:52 | More by nesarebad
phuntasy

New Hampshire

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

I had before, but had to go and get my own. I had from a 750ml growler, wish I got the larger one!

Hazy, bright orange with a pearl colored head and lots of lacing. Smooth feeling.

Citrusy and floral, pine and a perfect amount of funk. Sweet and bitter, perfect blend.

I know what makes this special is its hard to get, but I wish it was a little easier. I love this so much I want to drink it year round.

04-05-2013 23:22:16 | More by phuntasy
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Served from a 750ml growler into a Hill Farmstead stemmed tulip.

Appearance- Hazy orange with one finger foamy white head with great lacing.

Smell- Peaches and tangerines for days. There's some strawberry and pineapple mixed with grass and pine. Floral and fruity with a decent malt backbone.

Taste- Peaches, pineapple, green grapes, nectarines, pears, fresh cut grass and spruce, mango, etc. Very fruit forward with a nice bitter piney finish. No real malt here, but the sweetness of the fruits makes up for it. Finish is bitter and dry. Absolutely no hint of booze.

Mouthfeel- Medium full bodied with firm viscosity and high carbonation. No booze heat. Pretty much perfect IIPA mouthfeel.

Overall- Pretty incredible. Can't believe how long it took me to try this, but I'm glad I finally get to!

01-27-2014 19:46:39 | More by Seanniek91
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Abner - On-tap

Finally, my first from what was at the time of this writing regarded as the #1 brewery in the USA.

Look - Hazy amber orange with a a nice soapy head that dissipates slowly and leaves sticky lacing all over.

Smell - Aroma is resiny hearty and juicy hops with smooth malty caramel. Super smooth but there is a hint of the bite that is in store.

Taste - So rich and smooth first comes in those super juicy almost orange or melon hops, then a wave of resin hops with a snappy bite at the end. Woo piney resin hops! Superb!

Mouthfeel - Perfect drinkability, alcohol is hidden completely, and the bitter hop linger fades quite gracefully. It doesn't get better than this. Carbonation is perfect here, the kind of brew that makes you thirsty for more.

Overall - Wow. This is one of the absolute best brews I have ever had. This has no comparison but if there is a lineup and that lineup has Pliny (Snappy crisp west coast), Heady (Floral as hell), and Dubs (Juiciest DIPA you can get), this is the higher quality version of Sixpoint Resin that further enhances what they were trying to do with that brew. A true king among brews.

05-09-2013 02:48:29 | More by JMScowcroft
oglmcdgl

On tap at capones.

A- comes to me with a nice finger or so of bright white head that settles after a few to leave a nice smattering of lace around the glass and just the faintest of rings. Hazy sunset orange yellow in color with a glow that makes ya feel warm inside.

S- wow wow we wow. This smells amazing. Mash a mango in your face then take a bite out of a tangerine, that's what were working with here. A touch of the super dank doobs for a second then a smooth roll into a floral honey like sweetness.

T- loads of citrus and tropical fruits with mango, oranges, pineapple, finishing out with a good bite of grapefruit rind. Just about the fruitiest dipa I've had. Light touches of cut grass and a bit of a floral twist. Malts do just enough to keep things in check but never put a dent in the fruit. Dry biscuits and a bit o honey.

M- just about perfectly mid level in the body department, like the perfect lady, just enough to hold on to but nothing more then you need. Carb is great with the bubbles hitting all the right spots but never going to far and blowing the body out of the water.

D- that's a god damn good beer. I'd go to say its up there with the best and I've had the best. Baller as hell and so fucking drinkable. I'm in awe of this beer.

01-26-2011 02:27:34 | More by oglmcdgl
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a growler procured for me yesterday by jammalamma into a DFH shaped pint. The beer pours a hazy cloudy orange with a one finger bone white head. The head fades to a ring, leaving foamy, oily, resinous lacing.

The smell is awesome. Sharp grapefruit, lemon rind, pine and mango. There is some candied sweetness buried way down deep, but it's completely overrun by juicy hops.

The smell follows the hoppy nose lockstep. Loads of citrus fruit, mandarin oranges, pineapple, mango, grapefruit and lemon rind lead the charge. There's a slight break from the hop onslaught from some candied sugar sweetness, but it's quickly buried by the tangerine flavors followed by orange peel and pine bitterness. This is hops balanced by different hops and followed by more hops, and I like it.

This one has a nice medium body and is well carbonated. It has a great dry/bitter finish that invites further drinking, the alcohol is never present and I'm definitely going to finish this growler alone.

This is an awesome DIPA and I think it's the beer that has cemented Hill Farmstead as my favorite brewery.

**Edit. After having this on draft several times at the anniversary party I believe this is the best DIPA available.

02-07-2011 02:49:08 | More by rpstevens
HopsHopenstein

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A-hazy golden orange coloring, 1 finger white head sticks around with great retention. Great looking Imperial IPA.

S- Big citrus and tropical fruit characters are right up front lemon zest and grapefruit with a nice mix of mango and pineapple. Beautiful floral notes are also present. Crisp, clean aroma.

T- Hop bitterness, Citrus fruits and floral all in perfect balance. Pick up the tropical fruits as well, with some pale malt. Absolute craftsmanship, great tasting beer. Makes you want a second sip before the first is even finished.

O- I have had this beer many times but never reviewed it. Thought I owed Abner and Shaun another big score on the board. This beer is well planned, perfectly crafted and is just what I looking for. Crisp clean amazing beer. I may be a Hill Farmstead homer but even the Negative Nancies cant knock Shaun Hills ability to again an again make some of the best beers on the planet.

08-01-2012 01:58:12 | More by HopsHopenstein
portia99

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

750ml growler (filled 9/8/12) courtesy of jlindros. Taking for making the trek up there and grabbing this for me! Poured into a Harpoon 100 Barrel series stemmed glass.

A - Pours a very well hazed pale golden color - thick and fruit juicy looking. Three fingers of fluffy white head rises off the surface with a semi-aggressive pour into the middle of the glass. Beautiful looking DIPA!

S - From over a foot away from the glass, all I can smell is hops. Super fresh smelling, freshly peeled and cut grapefruit, mildly sweet, a touch of sweatiness, extremely faint (but definitely there) grainy and sugary malt base. Outstanding!

T - Thick citrusy and tropical up front...tons of fresh grapefruit, lots of pineapple, hints of pine/resiny and a little bit of apricots. Sharply bitter...gives a lasting impression on the tongue - the hints of sugary malt try to tame it a bit, thankfully without much success...but just enough to sooth it out a touch. I've had one of the first pints of Pliny off a fresh bright tank at the RR pub...even that didn't taste as fresh or hop forward as this. Again, outstanding!

M - A bit on thin side...definitely not watery but lacking a bit in body. Carbonation is smooth, just a touch tingly and just shy of medium. Well attenuated fermentation that leaves the beer fairly dry overall leaving only traces of sweetness behind. Mouth filling bitterness and a tropical fruity/citrusy explosion. Really good.

O - Overall, this has to be in my top 5 best DIPA's - right there with PtY, Double Sunshine, Heady Topper for me. Really great...I've had this on tap before and remember it being a really great beer, but I had forgotten how great...fresh growler from the source makes this really amazing. Definitely get this if you can and drink it fresh.

09-15-2012 00:48:19 | More by portia99
NuclearRich

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

750mL growler filled at the brewery on 6/5/13 and poured into a HF snifter just now, 6/8.

A. Hazy light amber with a white head, fading quickly and leaving the faintest of lace

S. Beautiful floral bouquet of citrus, pine, a light caramel-like malt.

T. Wow. First softly floral then immediately eviscerated by a strong pungent piney resin that has serious follow through. Just enough lightly sweet malt to keep the hop punch in check. The sweetness is slightly tropical in quality, especially as the drink warms; apricot, pineapple, peach. The sweetness is very secondary in nature, the shoulders and neck to support the mind full of hops.

M. Just a tad into medium, fairly light bodied. Coats the tongue and imparts its bitterness leaving your taste buds daydreaming. Crisp enough, where the bitterness and the bubbly are harmonious, and not struggling or raging.

O. One of the finest DIPAs I have ever had. Complex, unabashed, and simply delicious.

06-08-2013 19:36:27 | More by NuclearRich
MusicaleMike

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

From Hill Farmstead's website: "Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this double pale ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner. 8%, 18.5º P, 170 Theoretical ibus. Ingredients: Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water."

Received this growler in a trade, and the tag says "Best Consumed by April 3, 2014".

Served in a Hill Farmstead stemmed balloon glass.

In the glass, Abner is a rustic but beautiful looking IPA. The body glows with a bright orange haze and the puffy, marshmallow head develops slowly and compacts easily, giving it the ability to pop out over the rim of the glass. It has a smooth, creamy texture, and leaves impenetrable rings of lacing on the side of the glass. After some time, the head withers down to leave just a floating island of white bubbles in the middle of the glass.

Inhaling Abner's scent is not something you would soon forget. It is not delicate, but it is certainly not bold. The aroma carries hints of sweetness and bitterness, oozing with notes of pine sap, honeysuckle, kiwi, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus zest. It's a feast for the olfactory glands. This tropical aroma, bright and citrusy, is very popular with craft drinkers right now, and while I am not opposed to any other types of profiles out there, I find this particular "style" of hop aroma to be so appetizing, refreshing, and interesting all at once.

The head acts like the cream on top of the milk.It is soft and buttery on the lips. The texture of the beer is also very soft, and approaching creamy. Smooth carbonation, and plenty of it. Up front is a bright fruitiness, with hints of peach tarts and grapefruit. Immediately following that, across the palate is a flash of bitter citrus fruit, and then some serious pine flavors mixed with the lingering bitterness and astringency of citrus rind. The aftertaste carries notes of tropical fruits, and a light berry flavor.

There is no doubt that this is a world-class IPA. What Shaun has done with this beer is create something that is classic, rustic, and sharp all at once. It's highly drinkable...in fact, it is crushable (though it may end up crushing you). I finished off the 750ml growler by myself. I am feeling the effects: lulling me to sleep, spreading a smile across my face. I am so glad that I got to try this beer. This is something that the Beer Hunter would have been excited to try.

04-03-2014 03:29:14 | More by MusicaleMike
GreesyFizeek

4.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Half growler procured from the source. Poured into my Hill Farmstead oversized wine glass the next day.

Pours a brilliant, golden orange, with tons of visible carbonation. Looks like the growler made it back in good condition! Laces down the glass incredibly well.

The smell? Oh my god. My nose just got caressed by orange, grapefruit, pine, pineapple, mango, citrus zest. It's so strong, and so fresh. I don't know what hop varieties went into this beer, but I love them, no matter what.

The tastes follows very similarly to the smell. A lot of lingering hop bitterness stays throughout the session, but is covered in a sticky, dank, citrusy explosion of hop flavor. Alcohol is basically not there. You wouldn't know it's 8.2%ABV.

Lightly, but well carbonated. Medium body. So drinkable.

A true beer epiphany here. Wow. Congrats HF.

03-31-2013 18:52:29 | More by GreesyFizeek
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hill Farmstead Abner

Poured into a tulip glass from the tap at The Farmhouse Tap and Grill.

Pours a nice pale copper with some slight haze and some orange hues. There is a nice half-inch medium dense head that forms that is white/off-white. The head is sticky as the brew goes down and the head recedes leaving some slight lacing on the sides. (4.75)

Aroma starts of with resinous and piney hop notes that are dank and fresh. Somewhat herbal. There is then an amazing plethora of tropical fruit; orange and tangerines mixed with some slight pineapple and mango and of course the ever-present grapefruit offering a delicious and inviting refreshing citrus note to the brew. Some slight bready malts are perceived under this dance of amazing hops. The tropical fruit notes really shine in the nose as the brew warms. (5.0)

Wow. The taste is ENCHANTING. There are notes of resinous pines with some herbal and quite grassy characteristics starts things of. Then the awesome tropical fruit notes reach in and fill the palette. Once again the grapefruit dominates for me with some slight lemon citrusness. Then some mild pineapple, notes of mango and tangerines and even some peach. Amazing. These are all well orchestrated and so layered amongst each other and give the brew a very elongated flavor profile. The nice pale malt gives the brew some balance with good earthy, bready grain and some slight caramel notes as well as the slight boozy sweetness from the higher ABV. Mouthfeel is near perfection with a smooth and silky body that is carbonated perfectly to allow for some palette cleansing. (5.0)(4.75)

Overall the tropical fruit notes mixed in with the citrus hop notes are the key to this brew. Very well orchestrated and a plethora of flavors that are rich on their own but are also very well layered and balanced with each other. (4.75)

07-03-2013 05:22:06 | More by JoEBoBpr