Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,834
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews: 341 | Hads: 2,286

There's only so many words that can capture beers as good as this, let alone with the likes of What Is Enlightenment, Legitimacy and Heady Topper. Blasts of unfathomable citrus, the taste goes on and on and on. These here Hill offerings are the best of the best, hands down - the end of the line.

Served in a Citizen Cider snifter from a 2L growler obtained same-day in Greensboro.

A: Attractive orange, cloudy, and very Hill-esque.

S: Strong citrus hops--as to be expected--and alcohol.

T: Kind of like Susan on steroids. Tropical citrus and apricot overwhelms with a significant alcohol finish.

M: Perfect, as to be expected from Hill.

O: Undoubtedly one of Hill's finest. Don't take my word for it though, it's one of Hill's most reviewed and still perfect. One of the few beers I could drink without end. Try it if you can.

On tap at Beachwood Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Lush, creamy, dreamy... Beautiful textures like Princess Jasmine weaving a pair of silk skivvies.

I am at a loss. I am found. I am nothing, I am in heaven... Take me away.

Best beer I every had. This means something since I had some amazing beers, like Heady Topper, Mastermind, Bourbon Stout from Goose before they were bought out..etc. The piney and citrus flavors linger on your taste buds like a fine wine. The complexity of the flavors is perfect. It takes me 4.5 hours one-way to get to their brewery. Well worth the travels!!

Having had this many times in the last year on tap and from the growler, I figured I'd finally give it a review.

A - I love the look of Hill Famrstead DIPAs. A nice bright hazy orange with a 2 finger white head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass as it goes down.

S - Ah, that HF hop aroma. Wonderfully hoppy, juicy, and tropical with just the right amount of dankness mixed in.

T - So juicy. Rich with complex hop flavors. The taste lives up to the aroma here. Alcohol is very well hidden. Tropical fruits, a touch of grass and very hop forward with just enough malt backbone. So delicious. The mouthfeel feels perfect. It is creamy and juicy and so easy to drink.

Hill Farmstead makes some of my favorite DIPAs. Abner, Galaxy, Double Citra, and Ephraim are all so fantastic. With all these other amazing DIPAS coming out of HF, I hope Abner is always a regular and not forgotten. I will continue to make the long trek up there for my fill and look forward to what comes next.

Oh Abner -- one of my all-time all-time favorites. Gorgeous golden color with just a bit of charming haze. Big hop aroma sings a prelude to the piney citrusy love affair that follows to the tongue. Everything about this beer flirts with blissful perfection.

My favorite beer to date. Opague amber orange, nice lacing but the difference maker with Abner is the nose. Holy shit! Huge mango nose and pretty much any other citrus and tropical fruit you can think of. Smell is beyond a 5. Taste follows and although slightly boozy at the finish it's still absolutely crushable. I can't get enough of this beer when I'm in VT and my mornings suffer as a result. I can go on and on about Abner but you'll just have to try it yourself. If you are heading up to VT with the highest expectations and you fear that as a result Abner may be a slight letdown what will likely happen is it will be better than you could've imagined. It's that good.

Abner is an incredible DIPA. I wish it were easier to get, but as it is, I feel blessed to have had 2 growlers full (2L & 750). They're doing a lot of things very right at Hill Farmstead.

Perfect color - bright orange and hazy and gets slightly lighter around the edges. It's easy to pour with a nice fluffy 3-4 finger head, and the lacing on the glass is thorough as the head dissipates.

The smell is a bit understated. I don't want to imply that Abner doesn't smell wonderful, because it does - it's just that it doesn't fill the room with hoppy smells like some beers I've opened. That said I pick up a huge array of fruit including pretty much all the tropical fruits (guava, papaya, mango, pineapple, passionfruit) as well as sweet citrus and orange/tangerines.

Taste follows the nose. This is an incredibly complex and flavorful beer. Just like the smell, the taste has all of the tropical fruits as well as citrus, orange, tangerine, and more. The malt takes a back seat to the fruit, and any pine or resin present is very understated compared to the fruit as well. If you love fruity, juicy DIPAs, then Abner is your holy grail. Don't be fooled by the 170 IBUs either. Abner is so incredibly flavorful, smooth, and balanced that it doesn't taste bitter at all. I've had beers with half the IBUs that tasted twice as bitter.

Mouth is soft, smooth, and amazing. For a DIPA it's perfect. I'm sure Hill's water has something to do with it. As others have said, I'd really like to know what's in Hill Farmstead water that makes all their beers so soft and smooth tasting.

Abner is a truly world-class beer. I confess that as of this review I haven't had Lawson's DS (but have had MBC Dinner, lots of Heady, Ghandi, etc..), and I've heard some people say they prefer DS - and others give the edge to Abner, but I think it would be nearly impossible to brew a better DIPA than this. Abner is the holy grail and well worth the drive into the NEK of Vermont, regardless of where you're coming from. If and when I do try Double Sunshine, I'll update this review.

Growler filled at brewery on 9/10, poured into HF tulip glass on 9/13.
Peach foggy color-- thick white head dissipates after a couple of minutes to thin white lacing
Aroma of citrus- orange and apricot, mildly dank hops, and vanilla
Taste is citrus, orange, apricot, slight mango, fresh hops and sunshine
Overall, a creamy smooth hop citrus bomb with just enough malt to balance---
The perfect beer! On par with Lawson's DS-- neck and neck, maybe better? Slightly preferred over Heady (my first love) and SS#7....
Sell your kidney for a growler if you must.

This beer comes in a bright hazy lemon yellow.

The aroma is big juicy hops of pineapple, mango, peaches. A bit of yeasty note along with a light white bready malt. The beer has a medium plus to heavy bitterness.

The beer despite the lack of Citra or newer American hops has beautiful fruity flavors, despite a theme of pine and herbacious bitterness. It is one of the best hoppy beers from Hill Farmstead outside of Societe and Solitude #6 and Susan, of the ones I have had.

Cheers to iLOVEbeer for the extra!
- Tasted and noted on 12-Jul-13.

Poured from a howler that was filled 14 days ago and it traveled cross country in summer days. Not the ideal condition probably, but seeing as how I'm in SoCal, I'm not complaining.

Aromas are kind of faint but get the typical pine and tropical and citrus fruits. Smells as if it's going to be dry. Bit of zest and earthy-ness. In the taste, it starts off with pine and earthy-ness. Then a sweet, caramely, nectary juice. Dank pine hops all throughout. Definitely in a good way. It's got a low malt body and got a crisp dryness in the finish. Almost got a saison-quality to it.

170 theoretical IBU?? Tastes like half that. 8.2 abv? Could pass as a single IPA. Fantastic DIPA. Very dangerously drinkable. I can only assume fresh from tap would make this unworldly.

- 2014 vintage
- Off tap @ Beachwood (LBC) on 7-Nov-14
- 10 oz. pour into a wheat beer glass

Tasted against Double Citra, Legitmacy, and Nelson Single Hop. Of the four, I ranked this one 1st. In fact, this is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I will now often wonder when I'll get to have this off tap again...

Incredible beer, and my first from Hill Farmstead (non-collab). The citrus fruits are amazing - kind of like you're drinking the best glass of juice ever. Feels thick. Hops not overpowering. Must find more!

Me and a frind of mine travelled up to Hill Farmsread Brewery from MA. Awesome beer. Everything about it. Awesome. What more can I say about Abner than WOW!!!

Chilled 750mL growler into a glass. Thanks, Ben! Consumed on a beach in Kaua'i.

A: Pours an unfiltered copper body that glows a burnt orange against the setting sun. I normally love clear IPAs, and I mark down the unfiltered ones for a reason. But, for reasons that will become clear as you read on, I had to make an exception here.

S: Peaches, mango, pineapple -- this is a tropical citrus smorgasbord. Having eaten nonstop tropical fruit since I arrived on this island, this beer is a liquid reminder of the excellence of my surroundings. It has a restrained pale malt nose that imparts only the lightest sweetness.

T: Tropical citrus: mango, peach, pineapple, and the rind of orange and lemon and grapefruit. The "rind" is mentioned because there is a mild bitterness found here; it is sticky and lingering, but not overpowering or palate-wrecking. The pale malt imparts enough sweetness to give the beer heft without making it seem thin and insubstantial. This is the oxymoronic "balance" that people speak of in DIPAs.

M: Great hoppy flavor with modest bitterness, yet a clean finish. I find myself struggling to find a flaw here. There is none. The beer hides it ABV smoothly, it carries no extra sweetness, and it doesn't ruin the palate with excessive bitterness. This is clean to a fault.

O: I would be inclined to say I'm being generous toward this beer given the particular setting, but I also consumed a growler of HF Citra IPA, from the same box, prior to this trip, in my drab apartment. I found that one amazing, as well. I review harshly, but there's simply nothing to criticize here. This is an affordable, exceptionally well-crafted beer. It is hard to acquire in trade for a reason. I'm sorry to contribute to the hype, but this is world-class. I hope I get to drink a 2L of this in the future.

A: Golden, hazy, single finger white head, medium carbonation, beautiful lacing.

S: Citrusfruit Zest (Grapefruit, Orange and Tangerine) Peach, Mango, Dank/Pine.

T: Grapefruit/Orange Zest, Pineapples, Peaches, Mangos, Bready Malt Middle perfectly balancing this beer in the middle and finishing with a Dry/Bitter Dank/Pine Finish with a hint of fresh grass.

M: Full-Bodied and Chewy.

O: 100/100, Amazing, Bar-Non the "BEST" APA I have had the pleasure of laying lips to.

I don't know what else I can say about this delicious beer, other than this is the "real" best American Pale Ale in the world. This isn't about being a local either, Zombie Dust was and is one of my favorite beers that I have had the honor of sampling, but Abner is the real deal. As are his relatives, Edward and Ephraim...

All I can say is get some of this beer, this beer is going to be more common on Hill's Tap List in the coming future, so wait to see the response this beer will receive as more of a mainstay on the tap list like Edward... Come to Vermont and get some of this or hit up a trader with a growler. You won't be sorry.

Abner is my favorite hoppy beer from Hill Farmstead. Somehow, it manages to surpass the considerable hype. Although this one is on fairly regularly at the brewery, it is worth planning your trip to Hill Farmstead around its availability.

Amazing. This beer is in my top 5 IPAs and will most certainly hold on as it was delicious. I can't wait to go to Hill next year. I hope to meet as many deceased family members reincarnated into mouth candy as possible. Keep up the awesome work Shaun!!

Where do I begin about this beer. Enjoyed from the brewery in Greensboro.

Aroma is full of pine and citrus. Balanced nicely, without being overpowering.

Taste is perfect. Literally as good as it gets. A blend of lemon, grapefruit, pine, and tropical fruits. I get lots of passion fruit for whatever reason. The mouthful makes it easy to drink an entire growler alone.

As good as a DIPA gets.

Reviewed from notes - on-tap at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier in late February.

Beer pours a beautiful hazy yellow-orange with a nice white head. The appearance makes me think of citrus fruit for some reason, and really is the perfect color for a DIPA. Smell is incredible - I get a blast of citrus fruits and amazing hops. The taste follows suit, it's really like a party in my mouth, bright citrus flavors take the lead, but this is incredibly balanced and easy to drink for a DIPA. Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect, medium-bodied with excellent carbonation a bit of tingling and even some stickiness. Overall, this really might be my favorite beer ever. I've had it countless times, but drinking it on tap is the way that this beer needs to be consumed. Some of the growlers have held up really well, others not so much, but it would only get this score from me on tap. When served straight from this tap, this beer deserves a perfect 5.0 score, the best score I've ever given to a beer on BA.

Enjoyed from a growler picked up at the brewery last Saturday. I've had Abner a few times, but this week it really stood out as one of my all time favorite DIPA's.

The appearance is a cloudy/hazy orange, apricot, straw color with a nice 1.5 finger head that fades to a thin coating. Beautiful color.

The nose is extremely fresh. you get this farm fresh splash of apricot, peach, grapefruit,mango and maybe apple even? In addition to the fruit, you get some nice pine notes balanced by an elegant floral presence. Extraordinary and world class.

The flavor profile is amazing. bright and fresh fruit hops with less of the piney/resinous notes. Not the most bitter DIPA but extremely well balanced for the style. The carbonation is nearly perfect. medium carbonation in the beginning but yet so smooth and creamy towards the finish producing a tremendous overall mouthfeel. You get a hint of biscuit malt towards the finish but ever so slight and you can barely notice the 8% abv. The finish is slightly dry yet lingering. Not as dry as Hill Farmstead's Society & Solitude #3.

Overall certainly one of my favorite DIPA's. World Class. Each sip left me in great anticipation of the next. Scary drinkable. Probably my favorite from Hill Farmstead to date. Thank you Shaun Hill.

I am usually not one to subscribe to all the hype; however, I must say that Abner is worth all of the praise. This was hands-down the best DIPA I have ever tasted. Perfect in every way.

Growler purchased by TauroE and brought to CT. One of the best beers, it ranks a perfect score easily

Appearance is golden with small head
Smells of predominantly pine, citrus and then a hint of pinecone
Tastes less bitter than heady with all the taste/mouthfeel
Limited biscuit
Outstanding on all metrics and a easy must buy and seek out whenever possible

WOW, what a great double IPA. Goes down great without any bitter overly hoppy aftertaste. Great aroma and smell and fresh citrusy taste. Possibly the best beer I've ever had.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Out of s growler from the Hill and poured into a snifter. Nice clear orange hue with a small white frothy head. Smell is very fruity and floral. Ripe peaches, guava, and other citrus really jump out. Taste follows the nose, super smooth with no bite whatsoever. Overall a delicious and delightful IPA. I've yet to be dissapoited by anything from HF.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 2L growler into a tulip glass

A- pours a hazy, golden orange with about a finger and a half worth of white head.

S- upfront I get aromas of pine, citrus and melon. Also, a little grassy, earthy scent. Very dank.

T- Lemon with orange peel is what comes through at the front/middle of the tongue giving way to the hop bitterness. Very well balanced and light and smooth. Very easy to drink.

M- leaves a dry finish in the mouth with a residue of the bitterness as well as a citrusy, lemon taste.

O - Abner is one of the best DIPAs I've ever had that compares and rivals Heady Topper. Definitely is worth the hype and worth seeking out. Very well balanced, smooth and very easy to drink. Hill Farmstead really has crafted a masterpiece with this beer. Will always get this when available.

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery