Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AbnerAbner

Wants: 1,434
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010)

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%

WOW, what a great double IPA. Goes down great without any bitter overly hoppy aftertaste. Great aroma and smell and fresh citrusy taste. Possibly the best beer I've ever had.

4.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

Best beer I every had. This means something since I had some amazing beers, like Heady Topper, Mastermind, Bourbon Stout from Goose before they were bought out..etc. The piney and citrus flavors linger on your taste buds like a fine wine. The complexity of the flavors is perfect. It takes me 4.5 hours one-way to get to their brewery. Well worth the travels!!

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

I've never had a beer before that claimed it was so high in IBU, but so delicate on the palate.

Huge aroma bursting with citrus, pine, mango, and papaya undertones, maybe some evergreen as well. Perfect carbonation, nice white fluffy head with lacing that seems to stick to the side of the glass nicely.

The flavor was to follow suit with the aromas, but I would add hints of kiwi and pineapple to add a definitive tropical flavor.

Overall, one of my favorite imperial IPA's for sure, but not by means my favorite. Amazing stuff though, hopefully I'll obtain more in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

About as great as a beer can be. DIPA isn't even my favorite style, but I'd drink this all the time if I could.

2.75/5  rDev -40.7%

Meh. I'm not really sure what the hype is about.

Popped a growler. low carb, thin bodied, light aroma, seems like a standard IIPA. Not sure where they theorize 170 IBUs pretty sure this is a made up number.

I would have left out the Dextrose. This seems to have dried out the beer a little too much and left behind some fusil alcohol notes which are undesirable.

Shaun really missed the mark on the this one.

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery