Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AbnerAbner

Wants: 1,323
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010)
4.93/5  rDev +6.3%

From Hill Farmstead's website: "Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this double pale ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner. 8%, 18.5º P, 170 Theoretical ibus. Ingredients: Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water."

Received this growler in a trade, and the tag says "Best Consumed by April 3, 2014".

Served in a Hill Farmstead stemmed balloon glass.

In the glass, Abner is a rustic but beautiful looking IPA. The body glows with a bright orange haze and the puffy, marshmallow head develops slowly and compacts easily, giving it the ability to pop out over the rim of the glass. It has a smooth, creamy texture, and leaves impenetrable rings of lacing on the side of the glass. After some time, the head withers down to leave just a floating island of white bubbles in the middle of the glass.

Inhaling Abner's scent is not something you would soon forget. It is not delicate, but it is certainly not bold. The aroma carries hints of sweetness and bitterness, oozing with notes of pine sap, honeysuckle, kiwi, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus zest. It's a feast for the olfactory glands. This tropical aroma, bright and citrusy, is very popular with craft drinkers right now, and while I am not opposed to any other types of profiles out there, I find this particular "style" of hop aroma to be so appetizing, refreshing, and interesting all at once.

The head acts like the cream on top of the milk.It is soft and buttery on the lips. The texture of the beer is also very soft, and approaching creamy. Smooth carbonation, and plenty of it. Up front is a bright fruitiness, with hints of peach tarts and grapefruit. Immediately following that, across the palate is a flash of bitter citrus fruit, and then some serious pine flavors mixed with the lingering bitterness and astringency of citrus rind. The aftertaste carries notes of tropical fruits, and a light berry flavor.

There is no doubt that this is a world-class IPA. What Shaun has done with this beer is create something that is classic, rustic, and sharp all at once. It's highly drinkable...in fact, it is crushable (though it may end up crushing you). I finished off the 750ml growler by myself. I am feeling the effects: lulling me to sleep, spreading a smile across my face. I am so glad that I got to try this beer. This is something that the Beer Hunter would have been excited to try.

MusicaleMike, Apr 03, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

75cl growler generously shared by Doug today, 9/6/2013. Poured into a Bell's snifter. Review #196.

Alright, so this beer pours a clear copper body. Perhaps straw-orange. With that trademark Hill Farmstead 2cm white head that has awesome retention. Not a whole lot of lacing on this actually, but who cares?

Nose is not as pungent as Susan which we drank earlier today, but it just smells better.. its got that orange zest combined with citrus and tropical fruit.. but the biggest contribution is that floral scent. Deliciously floral. Great nose still, but Susan and Ephraim has it beat.

But you know what, that flavour profile is so incredible. So complex with tons of citrus and tropical fruit. It has that great malty backbone that isn't too strong but just balances out all the hoppiness in this beer. Its such a perfect balance for a DIPA.

Mouthfeel, again is that incredible creamy Hill Farmstead full body. I have never had such a full bodied double IPA. Again there is just something in that damn well water, I want to go visit Hill Farmstead, use the bathroom and fill up a water bottle and send it into a lab for analysis so I can treat my homebrew like so. Aftertaste is that bitter citrus flavour, but not so strong. It is so incredibly drinkable, even more so than Susan was. Can't tell that this beer is 8.2%, not at all. It drinks like a session beer.

Overall this beer is one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. It beats out Pliny and Heady, but its kind of unfair since this is Hill Farmstead we're talking about. It's up there with Double Sunshine as one of the best to come out of Vermont.

Stevedore, Sep 07, 2013
4.5/5  rDev -3%

Snowshoes, Today at 02:35 AM
4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

About as great as a beer can be. DIPA isn't even my favorite style, but I'd drink this all the time if I could.

yarnbomb, Yesterday at 03:13 PM
2.75/5  rDev -40.7%

Meh. I'm not really sure what the hype is about.

Popped a growler. low carb, thin bodied, light aroma, seems like a standard IIPA. Not sure where they theorize 170 IBUs pretty sure this is a made up number.

I would have left out the Dextrose. This seems to have dried out the beer a little too much and left behind some fusil alcohol notes which are undesirable.

Shaun really missed the mark on the this one.

GentalmensRelish, Tuesday at 02:28 PM

cherche, Tuesday at 01:46 AM
4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

atpca, Monday at 10:35 PM

Abner is an incredible DIPA. I wish it were easier to get, but as it is, I feel blessed to have had 2 growlers full (2L & 750). They're doing a lot of things very right at Hill Farmstead.

Perfect color - bright orange and hazy and gets slightly lighter around the edges. It's easy to pour with a nice fluffy 3-4 finger head, and the lacing on the glass is thorough as the head dissipates.

The smell is a bit understated. I don't want to imply that Abner doesn't smell wonderful, because it does - it's just that it doesn't fill the room with hoppy smells like some beers I've opened. That said I pick up a huge array of fruit including pretty much all the tropical fruits (guava, papaya, mango, pineapple, passionfruit) as well as sweet citrus and orange/tangerines.

Taste follows the nose. This is an incredibly complex and flavorful beer. Just like the smell, the taste has all of the tropical fruits as well as citrus, orange, tangerine, and more. The malt takes a back seat to the fruit, and any pine or resin present is very understated compared to the fruit as well. If you love fruity, juicy DIPAs, then Abner is your holy grail. Don't be fooled by the 170 IBUs either. Abner is so incredibly flavorful, smooth, and balanced that it doesn't taste bitter at all. I've had beers with half the IBUs that tasted twice as bitter.

Mouth is soft, smooth, and amazing. For a DIPA it's perfect. I'm sure Hill's water has something to do with it. As others have said, I'd really like to know what's in Hill Farmstead water that makes all their beers so soft and smooth tasting.

Abner is a truly world-class beer. I confess that as of this review I haven't had Lawson's DS (but have had MBC Dinner, lots of Heady, Ghandi, etc..), and I've heard some people say they prefer DS - and others give the edge to Abner, but I think it would be nearly impossible to brew a better DIPA than this. Abner is the holy grail and well worth the drive into the NEK of Vermont, regardless of where you're coming from. If and when I do try Double Sunshine, I'll update this review.

RichKent, Monday at 10:11 PM

normALE, Friday at 09:58 PM

xICooRsYIx, Sep 25, 2014

harrington_ptj, Sep 25, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mikeluzzjr, Sep 25, 2014