Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AbnerAbner

Wants: 1,361
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010)

JeepCop, Jul 24, 2012
4.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap @ The Farmhouse

A - Cloudy orange/yellow colour. Half a finger of creamy white head.

S - Grapefruit, mango, peach and a hint caramel. Very fresh and vibrant hop aromas.

T - Big bitterness up front. Grapefruit, orange rind, peach and passion fruit flavours accompany the bitterness. Malt backbone is only slightly present.

M - Medium body. Lots of sticky hop oils. Light carbonation.

TheSevenDuffs, Jul 24, 2012

McNuts, Jul 21, 2012

ErrandWolfe, Jul 18, 2012

laxer8811, Jul 15, 2012

Wowcoolman, Jul 14, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -3%

JRod1969, Jul 06, 2012

Chilled 750mL growler into a glass. Thanks, Ben! Consumed on a beach in Kaua'i.

A: Pours an unfiltered copper body that glows a burnt orange against the setting sun. I normally love clear IPAs, and I mark down the unfiltered ones for a reason. But, for reasons that will become clear as you read on, I had to make an exception here.

S: Peaches, mango, pineapple -- this is a tropical citrus smorgasbord. Having eaten nonstop tropical fruit since I arrived on this island, this beer is a liquid reminder of the excellence of my surroundings. It has a restrained pale malt nose that imparts only the lightest sweetness.

T: Tropical citrus: mango, peach, pineapple, and the rind of orange and lemon and grapefruit. The "rind" is mentioned because there is a mild bitterness found here; it is sticky and lingering, but not overpowering or palate-wrecking. The pale malt imparts enough sweetness to give the beer heft without making it seem thin and insubstantial. This is the oxymoronic "balance" that people speak of in DIPAs.

M: Great hoppy flavor with modest bitterness, yet a clean finish. I find myself struggling to find a flaw here. There is none. The beer hides it ABV smoothly, it carries no extra sweetness, and it doesn't ruin the palate with excessive bitterness. This is clean to a fault.

O: I would be inclined to say I'm being generous toward this beer given the particular setting, but I also consumed a growler of HF Citra IPA, from the same box, prior to this trip, in my drab apartment. I found that one amazing, as well. I review harshly, but there's simply nothing to criticize here. This is an affordable, exceptionally well-crafted beer. It is hard to acquire in trade for a reason. I'm sorry to contribute to the hype, but this is world-class. I hope I get to drink a 2L of this in the future.

Arbitrator, Jul 02, 2012

jamesb7, Jun 30, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Jun 30, 2012

frank12, Jun 27, 2012

n00blar, Jun 26, 2012

msarver16, Jun 25, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -2.4%

750 ml growler courtesy of Camden. I can tell you that you've helped make an incredibly trying time a bit more bearable. Thank you.

Foggy medium orange with a thin egg white cover and some pleasant stick.

Smells of creamy peachy mango surprise. A white pepperyness lingers as well.

Taste follows suit with a big bright citric presence and a dank herbal middle that finishes with a dry cutting bitterness. Fruits pop lively along the palate. Papaya comes to mind as well. Slightly oily, the hops glide along the entire sip, tap dancing all over my tasting places.

Mouthfeel is like pureed fruit smoothie; this just slides along the tongue.

An interesting beer: for the first half of the bottle I wasn't all that impressed and didn't feel there was much cohesion. Towards the second half, however, the fruit smoothie aspects really began to present themselves. The presentation of these growlers makes the experience somehow feel unique and enjoyable.

As always, thanks for the opportunity to drink a want and for allowing me the chance to try this.

BarrytheBear, Jun 25, 2012

Mark000, Jun 24, 2012

750 ml growler
Served into a tulip

A: Fairly hazy golden sunset orange body with a big fluffy, creamy off-white head. Huge amounts of lacing coat the walls along with a nice retention cap all the way down.

S: Huge juicy tropical and citrus fruits. Orange, mango, peach, melon and lemon all come through. There's a bitter grassy aroma too, reminding you this is still an DIPA.

T: A bitterness blends instantly with the citrus notes, they aren't separated but work incredibly well together. More mango and peach are up front with some of the zestier citrus fruits coming in towards the mid and back palate like the orange and lemon. Grassy hop notes stick throughout and the linger ends clean with a crisp malt.

M: Creamy, smooth and almost silky. I absolutely love when my IPAs have this mouth feel. A touch sticky around the palate but the finish is so damn clean.

Truly, perhaps my favorite DIPA I've tried to date (I need to try this and Citra side by side!). Everything about this beer is remarkable. Perfect? I'm not sure if I buy into that notion in a beer, but this is damn close.

ShanePB, Jun 20, 2012

nh2032, Jun 17, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to whartontallboy for sharing!

Great looking pour: hazy & orange, bountiful head, plenty of sticky lace. Stubborn retention on both; gorgeous! Floral, juicy, hoppy, citrusy aroma. Smells fantastic!

Plenty of malt leads the way, fresh hops aren't far behind. Very juicy and sublime from all angles. Sweetness is there, but gives way to mild piney-ness, malt, and the hoppy backbone before finishing. Creamy body approaches perfection.

Abner ranks among the best IPAs -- nay, *beers* -- I've ever tasted. Seriously, this stuff is incredible. Wish I could drink it every day :(

brystmar, Jun 14, 2012

SummitVA, Jun 13, 2012

bostonryan, Jun 12, 2012
4.61/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml growler into my DFH Signature Glass.

A: Hazy, deep orange, with a small head that hangs around for a bit.

S: Hops! Specifically, grapefruit citrus, light pine, light grassiness. Bit of biscuity malt too, actually.

T: Sweet tropical fruits--some mango specifically, which I'm not sure I've ever gotten from an IPA before. Grapefruit is present as well, with lemon poking through too. The finish is lightly bitter, but not too strong.

M: Light to medium bodied, with medium levels of carbonation.

O: My favorite HF beer and a great IPA. Definitely one I want to have again soon!

Hophead717, Jun 12, 2012

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Poured a hazy golden-orange color with a nice finger's breadth of white head that retained well and left soapy lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice mix of citrus, pine, and tropical fruits. Similarly, the taste is expectedly hop-driven, fresh citrus zest, mango, pine resin, overlaid on a biscuity malt base, mild alcohol bites here and there. Medium body, and quite enjoyable for any hophead.

Rifugium, Jun 11, 2012