Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,735
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Ratings: 2,080 | Reviews: 327
4.81/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from growler into tulip--thanks again @hopsynonomous!
A: Cloudy, murky yellow/gold colored beer. Big white head (2 fingers) with great retention.
S: Juicy tropical fruits (grapefruit, oranges, peach), some floral notes, the malt breadiness is there too, with big sweet sugariness/caramel on the back end. Really complex smells that work well together
T: Citrus and pine blend together so well with the malt. I'm normally a much more hop forward guy when it comes to DIPAs but this is done so well. Its funky, dank--the grapefruit/tropical fruits are creamy and juicy without being too sweet, too.
M: Drinkability is crazy--nice mouthfeel (medium/full) and good amount of carbonation.
O: The hype is real! I've been waiting quite a while to get my hands on this one. Its incredibly well done (shocking, this is HF right?) and just so damn drinkable for 8.2. Hard to say much more here other than go get this one!

Phenominal Taste, Full body, balanced hops and malts make this one of the best Doupl IPAs ive ever had, better than heady topper for me.

4.91/5  rDev +5.6%

Granny Smith Apple and dank on the nose. Taste is a hoppy apple jolly rancher and is awesomely smooth. Mouthfeel is smooth yet somehow syrupy all in one. Another great HF offering.

4.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Full flavour and still subtle at the same time.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First impressions; very good hopp notes and clean finish. I would love to enjoy this again an again it was that good!

3.38/5  rDev -27.3%

solid beer, but very overrated!!! Awesome Brewery though a lot of good stuff out of here, i like a lot of their other beer more then Abner.

Amazing. This beer is in my top 5 IPAs and will most certainly hold on as it was delicious. I can't wait to go to Hill next year. I hope to meet as many deceased family members reincarnated into mouth candy as possible. Keep up the awesome work Shaun!!

Perfect beer. It had everything.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Smell and taste of intense citrus. Hints of pine and orange zest who bring a spicy aroma.

11/8/14

4.69/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From growler 1 day old. Beautiful color like all HF beers I have seen. Very approachable for a DIPA, we had 2 non DIPA loving guests over to try who actually enjoyed it. Very well integrated hops and long finish. I would feel comfortable serving this to relative newbies

4.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from growler into a hill farmstead tulip. A couldy yellow colour with a really nice head retention and lacing, silky white head.

Aroma is full of citrus floral notes, lemony and some light piny notes, robust florals, peppermint, grapefruit, wildflower honey. So complex and inticing.

Taste is full with balanced hop character, creamy grapefruit, resiny wildflower notes, a touch of floraly lemon sweetness then a growing gradual resiny bitterness. Tons of rich orange citrus. Fantastic balance. Drinkability is crazy with so much depth and balance.

Mouthfeel is really full, gentle carbonation with a full bodied malt creaminess, maintains enough of a full dextrin complexity to balance the hop bitterness impecably. Alcohol is well hidden and such a fruity and hoppy body with a creamy upfront malt.

Lives up the hype as an impecable ipa. It balances itself so well between the strong citrus and floral hop character and a creamy malty body. It's is delicious and complex, fantastic. Certainly an impecable beer with a great complexity and warming beer, impressed by the great balance here and the ridculous quality from start to finish.

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Hazy dark gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy to start. Tiny wisp of a cap with a small collar. Some splotches of lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Stone fruit. Very vague notions of tangerine and grapefruit. Loaded with mango and peach and some pineapple. Slightly bitter pine needle. Juicy fruit. Malts are typically light and bready. Touches of pale malt sweetness with honeyed biscuits and some undercooked white bread. Slightly caramelized malt sugars. Deeply floral with some hints of hibiscus. Pine sap and some raw honey. Big and bold without being too aggressive.

Taste: Follows the nose closely with a touch more bitterness. Tons of stone fruit - mango, peach, and something like papaya. Tangerine with some touches of grapefruit and orange rind. Oily resin. Tons of floral elements. Fresh flowers, dried almost hibiscus. Bitter pith. Malts are lightly sweet with a combination of pale malts - offering bready elements and a touch of raw biscuit dough - and some slightly sweeter caramel malt. Bready. Bitter pine needle.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Initial sip is slightly slick. What I want to see out of the style. A little sticky.

Overall: We can be friends.

A nice Imperial IPA. It's big but balanced and carries that drinkable quality every Hill Farmstead IPA has.

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Split with Goblinmunkey7, growler filled about 5 hours ago

Consumed 11/15/14

A: Hazy tangerine - some copper at its core, some gold around the edges - pours with a medium, white head, fades to a nicely wispy cap, leaves some spotty lacing

S: Big, juicy citrus, with some level of sanity - juicy, fleshy, ripe orange, grapefruit, ruby red grapefruit - very fruity with peaches and apricots - tropical notes, pineapple and mango - resinous, with a big floral push - very flowery, with some herbal and grassy notes - light pale and caramel malts, with some light sweetness

T: So juicy, so fruity - juicy, ripe orange, tangerine, and ruby red grapefruit - to an extent, this tastes like a tropical fruit blend, with all the fruit flavors co-occurring here - ripe peaches, apricots, pineapple, and mango - lightly sweet throughout - pale malts with some caramel - pine, herbal notes, floral notes, and a light touch of mint - moderate level of bitterness - light touch of alcohol, but extremely clean overall (the norm for Hill Farmstead)

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated, smooth, finishes mostly dry

O: Stop living up the hype, please

Presently, I live about 80 miles away from Hill Farmstead. After now having reviewed a handful of their beers, I realize that I would drive 180 miles each way. Maybe 280. And I'm not entirely happy about this. Abner is among the best I've had from Hill Farmstead. The hop profile is excellent, and it's so clean that I just want to drink more. The fact that this is 8.2% ABV is actually dangerous.

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Nov 2014. Special thanks to Rachel for the haul.

A - Hazy, creamy peach nectar body. Creamy off-white head pours 2 fingers high with outstanding retention and lace.

S - Great nose. Passion fruit, fresh ferns, bright cilantro, mango, grape skins. Rustic edges. Incredibly fresh.

T - Fresh, bold, and herbaceous. Juicy center with orange and mango. Biscuity malt on the backend. Bitter herb and mineral water finish.

M - Outrageous mouthfeel. Smooth, perfectly weighted body - not too heavy and not too light - with perfectly balanced carbonation.

O - Fresh and rustic. A damn good IIPA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.55 Abner
-- -Jay- -Jon- -Vin- -Avg- Weight Adj
A - 4.75 4.75 4.75 4.75 10% 0.48
S - 4.30 4.80 4.70 4.60 20% 0.92
T - 4.60 4.35 4.50 4.48 40% 1.79
M - 4.50 5.00 5.00 4.83 10% 0.48
O - 4.40 4.40 4.40 4.40 20% 0.88

On tap at Beachwood Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Lush, creamy, dreamy... Beautiful textures like Princess Jasmine weaving a pair of silk skivvies.

I am at a loss. I am found. I am nothing, I am in heaven... Take me away.

Where do I begin about this beer. Enjoyed from the brewery in Greensboro.

Aroma is full of pine and citrus. Balanced nicely, without being overpowering.

Taste is perfect. Literally as good as it gets. A blend of lemon, grapefruit, pine, and tropical fruits. I get lots of passion fruit for whatever reason. The mouthful makes it easy to drink an entire growler alone.

As good as a DIPA gets.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Superbly balanced with an excellent blend of citrus and earthy hops. As with most elite IPAs....you enjoy it more and more with each sip and nothing takes a dominant role and the complexity unravels over time. Another fine drinking experience. Hill Farmstead has a collection of beers that will rival anyone in the world.

WOW, what a great double IPA. Goes down great without any bitter overly hoppy aftertaste. Great aroma and smell and fresh citrusy taste. Possibly the best beer I've ever had.

Best beer I every had. This means something since I had some amazing beers, like Heady Topper, Mastermind, Bourbon Stout from Goose before they were bought out..etc. The piney and citrus flavors linger on your taste buds like a fine wine. The complexity of the flavors is perfect. It takes me 4.5 hours one-way to get to their brewery. Well worth the travels!!

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I've never had a beer before that claimed it was so high in IBU, but so delicate on the palate.

Huge aroma bursting with citrus, pine, mango, and papaya undertones, maybe some evergreen as well. Perfect carbonation, nice white fluffy head with lacing that seems to stick to the side of the glass nicely.

The flavor was to follow suit with the aromas, but I would add hints of kiwi and pineapple to add a definitive tropical flavor.

Overall, one of my favorite imperial IPA's for sure, but not by means my favorite. Amazing stuff though, hopefully I'll obtain more in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

About as great as a beer can be. DIPA isn't even my favorite style, but I'd drink this all the time if I could.

2.75/5  rDev -40.9%

Meh. I'm not really sure what the hype is about.

Popped a growler. low carb, thin bodied, light aroma, seems like a standard IIPA. Not sure where they theorize 170 IBUs pretty sure this is a made up number.

I would have left out the Dextrose. This seems to have dried out the beer a little too much and left behind some fusil alcohol notes which are undesirable.

Shaun really missed the mark on the this one.

Abner is an incredible DIPA. I wish it were easier to get, but as it is, I feel blessed to have had 2 growlers full (2L & 750). They're doing a lot of things very right at Hill Farmstead.

Perfect color - bright orange and hazy and gets slightly lighter around the edges. It's easy to pour with a nice fluffy 3-4 finger head, and the lacing on the glass is thorough as the head dissipates.

The smell is a bit understated. I don't want to imply that Abner doesn't smell wonderful, because it does - it's just that it doesn't fill the room with hoppy smells like some beers I've opened. That said I pick up a huge array of fruit including pretty much all the tropical fruits (guava, papaya, mango, pineapple, passionfruit) as well as sweet citrus and orange/tangerines.

Taste follows the nose. This is an incredibly complex and flavorful beer. Just like the smell, the taste has all of the tropical fruits as well as citrus, orange, tangerine, and more. The malt takes a back seat to the fruit, and any pine or resin present is very understated compared to the fruit as well. If you love fruity, juicy DIPAs, then Abner is your holy grail. Don't be fooled by the 170 IBUs either. Abner is so incredibly flavorful, smooth, and balanced that it doesn't taste bitter at all. I've had beers with half the IBUs that tasted twice as bitter.

Mouth is soft, smooth, and amazing. For a DIPA it's perfect. I'm sure Hill's water has something to do with it. As others have said, I'd really like to know what's in Hill Farmstead water that makes all their beers so soft and smooth tasting.

Abner is a truly world-class beer. I confess that as of this review I haven't had Lawson's DS (but have had MBC Dinner, lots of Heady, Ghandi, etc..), and I've heard some people say they prefer DS - and others give the edge to Abner, but I think it would be nearly impossible to brew a better DIPA than this. Abner is the holy grail and well worth the drive into the NEK of Vermont, regardless of where you're coming from. If and when I do try Double Sunshine, I'll update this review.

4.18/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a freshly filled (9/20/14) Hill Farmstead 750ml growler and into a HF stemmed glass.

L) Pours a hazy, tawny/orange with a average size white head.
S) Smells of beautiful hops and a bit of yeast thrown in there. I prefer mine a bit more citrusy, but this is still an amazing beer.
T) This is a well balance DIPA. Not too bitter and not too malty. Again, I would like a bit more citrus, but I'm just nit picking.
F) Nice. A bit dry.
O) Not going to lie, this did not live up 100% to my expectations. When drinking DIPA's I have to compare to MBC Dinner, which I thought was spectacular. Would I drink it again, yes, but I would not go out of my way to acquire again.

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery