Abner | Hill Farmstead Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by kingcrowing on 05-12-2010

Reviews: 357 | Ratings: 2,390
4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from growler into tulip--thanks again @hopsynonomous!
A: Cloudy, murky yellow/gold colored beer. Big white head (2 fingers) with great retention.
S: Juicy tropical fruits (grapefruit, oranges, peach), some floral notes, the malt breadiness is there too, with big sweet sugariness/caramel on the back end. Really complex smells that work well together
T: Citrus and pine blend together so well with the malt. I'm normally a much more hop forward guy when it comes to DIPAs but this is done so well. Its funky, dank--the grapefruit/tropical fruits are creamy and juicy without being too sweet, too.
M: Drinkability is crazy--nice mouthfeel (medium/full) and good amount of carbonation.
O: The hype is real! I've been waiting quite a while to get my hands on this one. Its incredibly well done (shocking, this is HF right?) and just so damn drinkable for 8.2. Hard to say much more here other than go get this one!

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange. Aroma of dank hops and biscuits. Mouthfeel perfect; crisp and refreshing. Taste is piney hops with a wonderful malt backing -- present but not overly cloying. It's certainly not the most bitter or hoppy-tasting DIPA, but its impeccable balance puts Abner up there with the best.

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: The cloudy honey-colored liquid pours out of the growler, generating an impressive head; terrific stickage with shards of lace poking up from the foam

Smell: Candied citrus, with ruby red grapefruit and ripe mango and a hint of apricot; quite floral

Taste: Floral tones dominate the front, with tropical fruits galore; ruby red grapefruit dominant, with mango and just a touch of apricot adding a different edge; the malt takes a definite back seat as the bitterness builds, in the middle; after the swallow, the dextrose brings to the sugary sweetness to the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: The first time I have tried one of the acclaimed IPAs from Hill Farmstead and the hype is for real

Thanks, nc41, for the opportunity

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

750ml growler from the source, filled 3 days ago.

A: Poured into a Hill Farmstead glass, it's a beautiful golden orange, as hazy as it gets, 2 fingers of foamy and bubbly white head with extremely tight bubbles. Lacing everywhere. It's a thing of beauty!

S: Fresh, bursting hops, and lots of them. Big tropical fruits: Grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple. Floral notes, some slightly dank herbal notes. Tons of pine. Crystal sweetness. Huge orange, huge tropical fruits. Amazing. Might be the best nose of any beer I've had yet.

T: Wow. Huge tropical fruits with everything I picked up from the nose and more. Floral and herbal notes are there to add a little balance and depth to the hop character with lots of pine in the background. Big malt bill with lots of lightly toasted grains, plenty of crystal malt lends enough sweetness to make the citrus burst with flavor and balance the bitterness, but it doesn't come anywhere near stealing the show or being obtrusive. Finish is fairly bitter, very resinous, and linger herbal/floral notes and a touch of citrus. Has a slight white wine like flavor with alcohol esters on the finish. Unbelievable.

M: Pretty full body, moderate to slightly high carbonation. Extremely smooth yet very resinous and sticky. Amazing how it works. Crisp and easy finish that is a touch dry (due to alcohol) but does still have residual sweetness. Luscious yet crisp and refreshing. I don't get how this can be done. Amazing.

O: I've had some great IPAs/DIPAs, but this is hands down the best I've had to date and easily one of the best overall beer's I've ever tossed back. Picture perfect appearance, a nose so good I want to take a shower in it, use it as cologne, spray it on my beds sheets, capture it in a bottle and carry it everywhere with my nose constantly propped against it. The scary part? The taste is even BETTER! How could this be possible! 9 times out of time a great nose on an IPA is led by a letdown of some degree or at least matches the nose. Rarely does it beat the nose. Never does it beat an epic nose. The body? It defies logic.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer pours hazy golden with about a finger of head that leaves an awesome lacing. I don't know if it's the hype, or if this beer really is that beautiful, but it's something to behold.

Huge smell. Simply huge. The beer is full of citrus and hop aroma. Tangerine, orange peel, and grapefruit are all there with a fresh, perfectly balanced floral bouquet. Some malt sweetness is surely present, but not in anyway standing out.

So drinkable and perfectly balanced. all the flavors of the smell coming together in perfect harmony. Sweeter than expected with an awesome hop resin bite after each sip.

The mouthfeel is medium, a little on the heavy side for IIPAs. The carb on this growler is a little low, but nothing generally representative of the beer.

Overall this is one of the best IIPAs I've tried. Definitely in close competition with heady. Very different from Permanent Funeral and Hopslam. I wish it were just a tad easier to get in Wisconsin.

4.79/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: It has a beautiful deep hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of citrus, grapefruit zest, mango, light peach, bitter pine resins and some buiscuity malts on the back.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a loads of citrus fruit, grapefruit and orange zest, mango, peaches, some bitter pine resins and some buttery/buiscuity malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-med carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. This is a fantastic DIPA. Shaun Hill is a genius with hops.

Serving type: growler

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This double India pale ale is fruity, hoppy and clean. Pours a hazy orange, and is the perfect example of the New England style India pale ale... Hill farmstead had another great beer here.

4.79/5  rDev +4.6%

1L swingtop growler sent to me by hellomisterp in When Worlds Collide BIF.

Pours a very cloudy straw gold with a small head. Smell is sublime huge citrus hop presence with a slight sweetness. Taste is out of this world, it has that super hoppy iipa bite but with a malt balance I have never encountered before...so blown away. Mouthfeel and carbonation are great as well. Overall the best iipa I have had in a very long time...Thanks Mark

4.79/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750 mL Hill Farmstead growler poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a golden yellow with a small white head on top. This is exactly how this is supposed to look. There's some lacing that's left along the glass as I drink this bad boy.

S: Holy hops! Citrus and pine hops erupt from this brew into my nose. The intensity is absolutely mindblowing. What a fantastic smelling beer. If you are looking for malts then this is definitely not the beer for you.

T: The taste follows the nose to a T. Big, juicy citrus and pine notes dominate my pallet with ease. The citrus notes follow to the tune of grapefruits and this makes for a pleasant drinking experience. There are a miniscule amount of bready malts, but the beer is all about hops and not much else. I'm not sure if I've ever had a better DIPA in my life, and I'm not sure if I will have a better tasting one.

M: A medium mouthfeel that dries pretty quickly. A modicum amount of bitterness, which allows for an extremely pleasant drinking experience. I don't feel like my taste buds are being assaulted, but rather being catered to in a nice, juicy, hoppy, flavorful manner.

Overall: This may set the standard for DIPAs. What a fantastic beer. I really didn't know what to expect upon cracking this growler open. Boy, am I glad I did. This may be one of my favorite beers of all time. Hill Farmstead did an amazing job crafting this one. Especially since I know it came together in a tiny ass garage. Shaun and crew, I tip my hat to you guys for an exceptional beer and experience.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml swing top growler into my new HT glass.
HUGE thank you to franklinn, my secret santa in the LNBA SS BIF for sending this!

Pour: Abner is one beautiful DIPA pouring a murky orange yellow straw color with a billowing soft white head of at least 2 to 3 fingers. Light struggles to penetrate but there is an obvious glow behind the glass when held to the light. Head settles slowly and leaves a ridiculous amount of lacing behind. The head is sticking to the glass and simply not moving. Spectacular!

Smell: Just a wonderful pine hop aroma with citrus (tangerine, orange, grapefruit). Some floral hop and a slight yeast. I am picking out some peach and a touch of grass.
The nose is also spectacular!

Taste: Follows the nose with pine bitterness up front and then the citrus comes through. The orange, pineapple, and grapefruit are integrated perfectly here. I am getting a somewhat sticky sweetness in here too and really liking it!

Mouthfeel: This is simply too drinkable because it is to the point of being dangerous. So smooth and creamy for a DIPA that the alcohol is non detectable. There is bitterness but not over the top so it makes it one hell of a drinkable beer.

Overall: Well to be honest I am in FFF territory and so used to their hop profile that I often told myself they are hard to beat. Well this is right up there if not better than any FFF offering. Heady Topper I had the pleasure of enjoying once and loved that but let me tell you this is just as good, IMO!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml growler gifted to me in a beer trade into a Reidel Cabernet glass

A - Hazy, burnt orange color with a yellowish glow around the edges and bottom of the glass. Has a look as if I just poured a glass of grapefruit juice. Leaves a creamy head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the top of the beer. Slippery lacing slides down the sides leaving some splotches. A design-like swirl of froth covers the beer on top.

S - On the nose I'm getting grapefruit rind mixed with pine and orange peels. Mangos come to the front as the beer is aerated with a quick swirl. I'm in love! If left sitting for a moment, you can pick up a little bit of dankness from the hops.

T - Now this is what I have been waiting for! Just a load of resinous delight from the amount of hops used with a blend of tropical fruit. Fruit such as: mangos, pineapple, grapefruit, stone fruit...I could go on and on. There a cleanliness associated with this beer and I impart that because of the well water used. There is a honey-like sweetness from the malts used as well. A delight to sip!

M - This bad boy coats your entire palate and sticks to all four corners. There is a slight expansion of froth once it lays there for a second. A delightful bitterness is very present, but subtle enough to feel the acidity. Medium bodied, complex and well-rounded.

O - If I lived in VT, I do not believe I would drink anything else. I'm sure it's like anything, you'd get tired of it after a while, but it would be very hard in my book. As I mentioned before, I am absolutely in love with this beer. I can't thank Steve enough for sharing this with me. If you haven't had it yet, trade everything for it. And if you have had it, why are you drinking anything else! Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from growler into a hill farmstead tulip. A couldy yellow colour with a really nice head retention and lacing, silky white head.

Aroma is full of citrus floral notes, lemony and some light piny notes, robust florals, peppermint, grapefruit, wildflower honey. So complex and inticing.

Taste is full with balanced hop character, creamy grapefruit, resiny wildflower notes, a touch of floraly lemon sweetness then a growing gradual resiny bitterness. Tons of rich orange citrus. Fantastic balance. Drinkability is crazy with so much depth and balance.

Mouthfeel is really full, gentle carbonation with a full bodied malt creaminess, maintains enough of a full dextrin complexity to balance the hop bitterness impecably. Alcohol is well hidden and such a fruity and hoppy body with a creamy upfront malt.

Lives up the hype as an impecable ipa. It balances itself so well between the strong citrus and floral hop character and a creamy malty body. It's is delicious and complex, fantastic. Certainly an impecable beer with a great complexity and warming beer, impressed by the great balance here and the ridculous quality from start to finish.

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is close to as good as it gets. Pours a hazy light orange color. Thick fluffy head and great lacing on the glass. Smell is fantastic, tropical, hoppy. Juicy taste, with some sweetness. Hops shine through beautifully. Feel is extremely smooth, goes down very easy. A favorite of mine for sure

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%

750 ml growler
Served into a tulip

A: Fairly hazy golden sunset orange body with a big fluffy, creamy off-white head. Huge amounts of lacing coat the walls along with a nice retention cap all the way down.

S: Huge juicy tropical and citrus fruits. Orange, mango, peach, melon and lemon all come through. There's a bitter grassy aroma too, reminding you this is still an DIPA.

T: A bitterness blends instantly with the citrus notes, they aren't separated but work incredibly well together. More mango and peach are up front with some of the zestier citrus fruits coming in towards the mid and back palate like the orange and lemon. Grassy hop notes stick throughout and the linger ends clean with a crisp malt.

M: Creamy, smooth and almost silky. I absolutely love when my IPAs have this mouth feel. A touch sticky around the palate but the finish is so damn clean.

Truly, perhaps my favorite DIPA I've tried to date (I need to try this and Citra side by side!). Everything about this beer is remarkable. Perfect? I'm not sure if I buy into that notion in a beer, but this is damn close.

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

L: Hazy with a light orange glow. Soft billowy white head--similar to most HF ales.
S: Very nuanced smell until the beer warms a bit, then it's an explosion of citrus fruits.
T: Taste follows the smell. Very delicious citrus fruits, with a gentile pine bite.
F: Incredibly soft and way to easy to drink. Perfect carbonation and no booziness.
O: This is just an amazing beer. I don't think I can add much that hasn't already been said about this beer or the brewery.

4.76/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a hazy orangey-peach color with a fluffy white head and fantastic lace and retention.

Nose is a blend of citrus rinds.

The flavor is amazing. Bursting with bright citrus and tropical fruit and subtle floral notes. Fresh and fantastic.

Mouth is crisp and light-med. bodied with high crisp carbonation.

Overall. I'd been wanting to try this guy for over a year now. It's everything I had hoped for and would kill to have this in my keggerator. Amazing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap on 7/27/15 at Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock, VT.
A: Extremely cloudy with a thin, white head. Has a dull, creamy yellow color.
S: Grapefruit pith, tangerine, sticky/hoppy dankness.
T: Heavy on the grapefruit, some notes of lemon and has a nice dank aftertaste. I detected a hint of tangerine citrus as well.
M: Crisp, refreshing DIPA. Hops are prickly to the tongue with little bitterness. Has a clean, dry finish with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Simply stunning! The combination of grapefruit and sticky, hoppy dankness is an aroma that I will never forget.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

1 inch thick foam head. Fantastic lacing. Cloudy gold color. Nice fruity aroma. Every Whig has a different layer of citrus. Absolutely delicious. Nice citrus balanced with a piney bitterness. Feel can't be any better for an ipa. Easy money 5. Incredible beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

White frothy head on top of a caramel body.

A huge hoppy aroma. Tropical fruit and a dank simcoe/chinook combo hits your nose.

A polished balance between bitterness and flavor. Dank and hoppy with a tropical fruit finish. Citrus and grapefruit all over. Bitterness lingers just long enough until you take another sip. A little more bitter than most west coast heavy hitters but think this is where Abner excels and stands out from the pack. This beer is damn near perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler into my HF stemware.

A- Pours a somewhat hazy golden/straw color with a thick white head with decent retention and good lacing. Some floaties can be seen upon close inspection.

S- The aroma is piney, with a lot of butterscotch, and a big punch of citrus, tangerine and grapefruit in particular. An aroma to die for!

T- The flavor is somewhat hard to define, though it is markedly delicious! It takes some work, but I'm able to distinguish caramel, butterscotch, fresh grassy hops, dank hops, citrus with more grapefruit than tangerine (opposite of the aroma), finishing with a dry piney hop bite that is moderately bitter.

M- The mouthfeel is buttery and smooth, with mild, yet distinct carbonation. Dangerously drinkable at 8.2%!

O- This is yet another fantastic beer from Hill Farmstead! It took me 3 trips up (the first 2 it came off the tap list the day before and the day of arrival!), but it was well worth the wait!

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Sampled from a 750ml flip top bottle with a best by date of 8/21/14. Thanks to Clint for sharing!

Slightly hazy with a yellowish gold color and a fluffy white head. Outstanding aroma with great depth and complexity. Same goes for the hop flavor. There are so many subtleties to it.

This was a memorable beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

I've never had a beer before that claimed it was so high in IBU, but so delicate on the palate.

Huge aroma bursting with citrus, pine, mango, and papaya undertones, maybe some evergreen as well. Perfect carbonation, nice white fluffy head with lacing that seems to stick to the side of the glass nicely.

The flavor was to follow suit with the aromas, but I would add hints of kiwi and pineapple to add a definitive tropical flavor.

Overall, one of my favorite imperial IPA's for sure, but not by means my favorite. Amazing stuff though, hopefully I'll obtain more in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Right now... would rank as my favorite... but when ranking "feel"... accessibility is a big thing for me. When leaving the brewery... and not knowing when I'll get to try this brew again... left me feeling a bit empty. It is everything it is said to be... simply awesome. Having to hunt this stuff down for one glass... keeps me from ranking this a 5 across the board. This is a beer that should be #1... but will never be... because it won't reach enough mouths to experience such a piece of beauty in a beer. The fact that it is a 12 here... is only data... purely data.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured out of a 750ml growler into a tulip glass. I seriously want to thank one fellow bottle share local who brought this and several other HF beers out to the Bay. It really was a one of a kind, special event.

Pours a cloudy, near murky amber color. Lots of frothy foam at the top, and definitely does its job to stick around. I no longer dock beers for their appearance, but it's definitely easy to say that this is quite rustic looking and not clear eye candy as "other" famous DIPAs are. Nevertheless, this is highly representative of the Vermont, home brewed styled aesthetic, and this beer can't be faulted for that.

The aroma is lovely - a combination of tropical fruit notes, citrus, herbal dank esters, and lots of complex yeasty and malt notes. Pineapple, guava, and mango are very evident here, as are lots of other citrus notes. Peppery and floral, with a lightly earthy and lightly wet and funky presence from the yeast. Very herbaceous from the hops - think green onions and you're on the right track. You can tell that this is ALIVE, and definitely delivers a punch that many hoppy beers of its nature strive for.

Tastes absolutely delicious, with no surprises based on the aroma. It's definitely bitter, with an enormous blast of citrus and tropical notes at the front, with a creamy, crisp characteristic that takes the profile that Vermont's yeast strains are known for to the next level. Notes of guava, peaches, and pineapple really hit point blank here, with a bittered citrus and spicy finish that is complimented by the fresh crisp toffee malt flavor and body of the beer. Could it be the water? The yeast? Regardless, all of the ingredients come together perfectly, and the finish is absolutely one of the most memorable I've had on a hoppy beer to date. Not only do the hops appropriately cleanse the palate, but the finish is clean and airy as any great beverage - or, hell, any great glass of water - is. The palate is immediately ready for the next sip, and the beer never becomes a chore to drink. I had two more beers from HF that night, and even though this was the best one overall (though not my favorite), the qualities of its body seem to be a common consistency among HF beers - and, arguably, I can see why people often claim they're the best in the US for that reason.

It was a true pleasure drinking this - the last of hyped beers I've ever wanted to try, and a perfect closure to my beer journey in the past two years. I shall gladly drink this again, but I'm glad I don't have to fly to Vermont to do so right away. HF beers are of world-class quality, and Abner is no exception. Sets the bar for what a good homemade recipe can be, and what it aims to define as to why we drink excellent beer in the first place.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Yellow-orange, no head. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Fruity, piney, maybe a little spicy, but definitely different from a typical IPA. Not sure exactly if it is a particular hop that gives it that smell, it could be the yeast or even the malt because I would almost describe it as a very clean malty smell.

T - Fruity, piney, clean malt taste, possibly the most balanced IPA taste.

M - Low carbonation (which I like), extremely smooth, and actually too light (can't believe this is 8.2% ABV), great balance of malt and bitterness.

O - This might be the most balanced IPA I have ever drank. About the only thing bad I can say about it is it is too smooth, too light, and there is nothing in your face about it.

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery