Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

AbnerAbner

Wants: 1,308
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010)

dmhurdle, Jun 02, 2014

rthomp, Oct 12, 2013

tom10101, Mar 20, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -13.1%

750ml swingtop growler.

Thanks for making this one possible Brendan

*note, there was partial leakage upon arrival. This was filled a week ago and in my possession yesterday.

Pours an extremely cloudy copper. Place a laser directly behind it and shine it right at it and you wouldn't pick up even a hint of it. A small 1 finger of white head forms, but there most likely would've been more if this hadn't leaked. A decent amount of webbing a left behind.

Hill Farmstead really provides excellent aromas in all their brews. Huge bursts of ripe mango and apricot punch you right in the face. Some good earthy tones. Then in comes the hops. Not overwhelming, but definitely there. Very nice, inviting smell.

Taste follows precisely. Slightly less hops than expected, but again, that could be victim of the minor leak.

Mouthfeel is uber creamy. Slightly too creamy for the style, but again, yada yada, leakage.

It might be unfair to rate this under the circumstances, but I felt like I got the gist of it. I don't feel like my review can hurt this at all. A's are A's. This is one I definitely hope to revisit under better conditions.

DearthVader, Oct 09, 2011
4.04/5  rDev -12.9%

Lfty357, Aug 21, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Hazy, wheat-orange body. Thin off-white head that stuck around for a bit.

S: Mild blend of pine, grapefruit, and orange.

T: Mostly citric notes of orange and grapefruit. Moderate amounts of soft floral and pine notes in the background.

M: Medium to light body. Assertive carbonation. Refreshing finish.

O: A decent, but not top-tier dIPA. I guess the Hill Farmstead IPAs just don't do it for me.

callmemickey, Oct 20, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to Sean(?) for supplying this growler. Served in a Heady Topper glass.

A - Pours with a few fingers of off-white foam that settle to a thin cap, leaving behind spotty lace. Hazy peach juice body.

S - This is more lemony and herbal than Edward was, with some light estery alcohol peeking through. Also some obvious citrus fruit goodness in there. Still, there's a perceivable relationship between the two (malt bill? yeast strain?). It's also much more hop-foward than I remember - perhaps the recipe has been tweaked since the summer, or perhaps this is just a fresh sample.

T - Taste is more orange and tropical fruits, with sufficient malt heft and a pleasant sugar cookie character to it. No obvious alcohol in the flavor. Bitterness is well-attenuated.

M - Smooth, hefty medium body. Pleasant carbonation, and some light alcohol warmth after a few glasses.

D - Fairly sessionable for an Imperial IPA. I liked this much better than the version I had on-tap at American Flatbread in Burlington, which tasted like Dogfish 90 Minute (which I also enjoy, but only when super-fresh). I'd certainly have this again, but I prefer Edward.

MasterSki, Feb 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

750 ml poured into Spiegelau.

A: Bright golden color, slightly hazy, pours with 2 fingers of white frothy head that reduces slowly and leaves great lacing.
S: Dominated by the grapefruit, mango, citrusy blend. Not much malt to speak of in the aroma. I like.
T: Very sweet, has a lot of the citrus characteristics present in the aroma that pop in the flavor. I do have to say, having had Harlan last night, I prefer the flavor profile of Harlan to Abner, as it has a more balanced profile all around.
M: Carbed well, fairly dry. Surprisingly bitter.
O: Solid offering by HF, definitely a beer I'd love to get again. The aroma and flavor leaned strongly towards the fruity/citrusy side.

roger617, May 22, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -12.1%

1576th Review on BA
Growler to HF Stem
750ml

Thanks to RudZud for sending this my way.

App- A very peachy looking orangey haze. A very dense centered DIPA with a very large two finger white head. A very puffy and whipped cream looking head. A big amount of cling and lace down the sides of the glass

Smell- Its a very hoppy and aromatic beer A bit of a nice mix. It's creamy and a bit honey forward. A bit of a sweet cream aroma. A bit of a full citrus. More along the lines of Pineapple & Mango.

Taste- A fuller DIPA. More like the nose and retains a large creamy and dense flavor. A bit thicker than S&S and a bit more bitter vs. bright. The aroma flavors carry over to the flavor with the citrus. Pineapple & Mango. A bit hoppier and a good balance.

Mouth- A large medium body with a deep medium carbonation. A big creamy hops with dank and deep citrus hops on the residual flavors. Zest and mangos on the finish.

Drink- I will say this one is better than Ephraim. More deep citrus flavors and a bit more creamy hops. Really a bit in the middle of the other DIPAs from HF. I would say others should rang higher.

FosterJM, Oct 22, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap at the Blackback Pub in Waterbury, VT. Served into a Hill Farmstead snifter.

A - Clear golden body with a bit of a white head. Sticky lacing in top, but not a lot of it.

S - Wow, hops. A great citrus hop aroma, backed up by a hint of sweetness. Smells pretty damn good.

T - A lot like the smell, but in three distinct stages. An initial great citrus hop flavor, but it seems to be gone by the time I get the taste of the malt. Caramel malt and a bit of sweetness, almost independent of the hops. Then the malt sweetness fades, yielding a bitterness in the finish. None of the flavors seem to flow together.

M - The odd distinction of flavors takes away. It makes it feel thick at points and thin at others. Strange.

O - I had this right after indulging in some Heady Topper, so poor Abner never stood a chance. It's good, but not up with the best DIPAs.

Alieniloquium, Aug 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to Steve for hooking me up with a 2L growler of this.

I'll skip to the review of taste, as the others all take care of aroma and appearance.

Taste - A little different than I was expecting based on the description and other reviews. To me, this beer had some citrus aspects, such as bitter grapefruit peel, but the flavor was mostly dominated by the pine. Not my favorite flavor profile.

Overall - This is a very solid DIPA, and I enjoyed it. However, I enjoyed a number of the other HF hoppy beers I've tried much more. It surprises me greatly that this is the highest rated of the bunch. Glad to have tried it, but certainly not one I would seek out again.

thebigredone, Jun 27, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap at The Blackback Pub in Waterbury, VT. 10-12 oz. pour into a Hill Farmstead longstem snifter. Cloudy pale gold color, and the beer was very cold. Head faded quickly but decent lacing. Nose is tropical/citrus with very little bitterness. At first sight and smell, I am curious as to how old this keg is. The last time I was in this establishment was late April, when I tried HF Double Galaxy. I have to say the Abner was delicious but not as impressive overall as the Double Galaxy. I am still very impressed by Hill Farmstead; I just think this keg was a bit aged and muted for a highly rated DIPA.

ElGallo, Aug 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

Growler shared by dc55110, thanks a lot!

Very hazy amber colored with an off white medium sized head. Aroma is big on weed/pine and would have been a 5/5 had it not been the hint of spicy hop character I'm getting. Tastes hoppy and bitter (duh) with a solid malt base and but drinks very easy. Some onion/garlic comes as a turn off. Smooth feel, slightly sweet taste and finish, medium carbonation. Very good and signature HF.

4, 4.5, 4, 4, 4

tewaris, Sep 23, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -11%

750ml growler poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a hazy light orange color with almost no head but a few small bubbles, nose is a bit muted for some reason - pine, a bit of mango and Pineapple. But that is where the muted characteristics end...

Taste is a huge punch in the mouth! Very bitter, sharp pine and citrus with just such a bitter bite on the end it's really delicious. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, really good beer.

kingcrowing, Sep 18, 2011