Abner - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,757
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 05-12-2010

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews: 315 | Hads: 2,107
4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from tap into Hill Farmstead tulip at three penny Montpelier, VT. Pours a slightly hazy light orange color with thick foam and sticky lacing. Smells of really intense high alpha hop; citra maybe?
The flavour is fantastic! Holy hell...
Really nice floral hop flavours, followed by a bitter booze hop. Some nice malt balance but the booze is really obvious, in a good way. This is a really in your face/melt your face kind of DIPA...really great all around and definitely one to have when you are staying put for a while...
Such a good beer (for the hop head). (566 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to mikey for the growler, split with friends for our UFC tasting.

A - Pours a hazy orangish/red, a fingers-worth of off-white head, spotty lacing, and a thin cap.

S - Nice citrus aroma, lots of hops, some fruity/floral notes in there as well. Lots of citrus, grapefruit, floral hops, nice bitterness on the nostrils.

T - Lots of hops...citrus/floral/herbal, big juicy grapefruit and pine notes. Bitter, bitter, and some more bitter. You like hops? You'll enjoy this DIPA.

M - Light to medium, soft carbonation, oily finish.

D - I think Ephraim in the better DIPA, but this one is very solid. Very easy to drink, as I had a couple of glasses. Recommend! (665 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Growler

Thanks for pouring me this, HopHead84!

Slightly hazed, glowing apricot/orange color with a moderately sized off-white head that leaves great stick all the way down the glass.

The aroma is terrific and I knew this was a very special DIPA on first whiff. The aroma is a combination of pungent citrus flesh, tropical fruit, and floral notes. The combination is lovely.

The flavor too is wonderful. The tropical fruit, citrus notes, and floral elements combine together magnificently well. The bitterness is only moderate, which makes this beer remarkably drinkable.

Medium bodied with moderate to lower carbonation. Amazingly drinkable.

World-class. (660 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler, filled 3 days ago, into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber and leaves a finger of fluffy white head.

Smell: Some citrus, pineapple, earthy tones, pine. Definitely a mixture of hop flavors in the aroma.

Taste: Starts with some light pine and earthy tones, followed by some citrus/grapefruit. Finishes with some nice, bitter earthy hops. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouth-feel: Medium, or a little more, carbonation with a medium, refreshing body well suited for the flavor profile. Very smooth finish.

Overall: Definitely a solid double pale ale. Hop forward but a well balanced hop forward ale. Very smooth and refreshing. (679 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

UPDATE: 10.11.13

This beer is fantastic :)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 4.11

Growler received in a trade with the ever generous MtGoat thanks!

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldfish orange with honey folds and a 1 finger white crown that shows little retention or lace.

Smell: A touch of sweet malt over floral hops and citrus hops. I but more subdued than I was expecting considering how blown away I was by Edward IPA.

Taste: Grassy and herbal introduction with moderate bitterness, followed by a touch of malt sweetness, and ending with a decently bitter finish. There really isn't much citrus hop presence...just a touch of grapefruit and a dash of tangelo orange presence.

Mouthfeel: A bit undercarbonated but this growler was filled about 10 days ago so that might have played a role.

Drinkability: No real problem getting this one down.

I think this one is worth another sample (mainly to see if the age of my growler played a part in my tasting experience) but I'm not even close to liking this as much as the Edward IPA. (1,021 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml growler to the face.

Pours a hazy peach honey with some soapy top suds. Smells of peaches, mangoes, some resin and some biscuit malts. Not that impressed on the nose. Flavor is malt, more peach, some pear, grapefruit, lemon, resin and more crackery malts. A little sweet, but some bitterness in there too. Medium bodied with moderate carb and an off dry finish. Although decent, not overly impressed with this one either. Of the imperial IPAs I've had from Shaun, I've yet to really feel like he has done much for me, a little too sweet in 2 out of three (best so far was S&S4). The pale ales have been tits though. (622 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on 2011-10-15 at Capone's in Norristown, PA at a Hill Farmstead event. Had this again on 2012-06-09 at Teresa's Next Door and again on 2013-07-04 at TJ's in Paoli, PA.

A - Cloudy, golden-amber with little head into a 9 oz snifter.

S - Lots of pine, some citrus, nectarIne, mango and hop buds. Very nice but not as aromatic as the Ephraim.

T - Orange flesh and rind, LOTS of pineapple, nectarine, pale malt and a complex floral-basket of hop flavors. Love the bright, orange citrus aftertaste as it dances with the bitterness.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Mildly resinous. Refreshing.

O - Wonderful brew. Very well balanced. This is the beer that ran out first at this event at Capone's and ran out first at TJ's. I put it near the top of all double IPAs. It has a bit more pineapple flavor than their double citra. It is somewhat-like Heady Topper. (881 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a hazy golden straw color with half a finger+ of near white head. Good retention, great lacing.

S - Skunky piney aromas, lots of tropical/citrus sweetness and rind. (pineapple, orange, mango).

T - Big hoppy rind bitterness up front. Lots of tropical sweet fruits mix with skunky resinous flavors. Tons of hop resin. Exactly as it smells but much more amazing.

M - Medium/lightish bodied, well carbonated, superbly drinkable (435 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to whoever shared this one at Churchill's Finest release

Look: Pours a orangish yellow color with more orange than yellow. With a 1/4 white head and good retention and some spotty lace

Smell: Very bright tropical fruit nose lots of grapefruit and pineapple and some citrus in the background

Taste: Like the nose the beer is full of tropical fruits which reminds me of Kern Citra. Lots of mango pineapple and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body medium carbonation and just a touch dry

Overall: I would say this is in my top 3 favorite DIPA's I would say this is slightly behind Kern Citra and Heady Topper. Great beers (629 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Had this on-tap at The Reservoir in Waterbury. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Shaun Hill's arrogance, I have to admit this brew is pretty legit.

A: Poured a very cloudy, golden color, with a slight, 1/2 finger head.

S: Floral in spades, with that certain "Dreadnaught-esque" candy-coated alcohol that is absolutely to die for.

T: Very Dreadnaught-esque in its IPA disposition: Fresh Orange juice, grapefruit, and some caramel and butterscotch thrown into the mix.

M: Hell, what do I know here. I guess I'll add that it's lowly carbonated, non-sugary, and damn-near perfect here.

O: This lives up to its hype, for sure. (628 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Abner pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a moderate sized creamy head on top. The foam disappears quickly leaving a few spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The aroma is loaded with grapefruit citrus, tropical fruit and pine. Very hoppy.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is chewy and creamy with moderate carbonation. The flavor is loaded with grapefruit citrus, lemon rind, mango and pine. Towards the end some sweet caramel malt appears. It finishes dry and moderately bitter. Once gone the grapefruit citrus and pine lingers on the palate.

This is a full flavored DIPA. The review is from a growler that was filled 24 hours ago. A terrific beer that's easy to drink. (684 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another HF growler shared by Liam

Hazy golden orange colour, one finger of dense white head with a solid ring of lace. Smell is quite dank with tropical fruits, some fuzzy peach and a bit of lingering malt. Taste is hoppy with lots of grapefruit and dank pine resin flavours, more citrusy as it goes dry with a moderate malt flavour as well in the finish. Medium carbnation, dry and fairly full bodied. Excellent stuff here, so incredibly easy to drink with no alcohol to taste, would drink this as often as I could. (518 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler filled 2 days ago after a visit to the brewery.

The beer pours an effervescent, hazy yellow-orange with an inch of a dense, creamy looking white head. A vigorous swirl regenerates the head and washes away the lacing. The nose has a subtle hoppiness that's slightly floral and citrusy followed by a modest sweetness. The taste manages to pack in even more flavor that reminds me of a cleaner, more drinkable heady topper (...which seems insane to say). The beer has an absolute perfect balance between hop fruitiness, bitterness, and sweetness from the malt and added sugars. The aftertaste is slightly citrusy and bitter and finishes semi-dry as a gush of carbonation carries the beer down into the depths of my innards. This beer is certainly world class and worth trying...but I can't see it being bottled for the masses. (832 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-hazy golden orange color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-grapefruit, tangerine, pine, grassy and floral notes

T-grapefruit , orange, pine, light malt flavor with grassy and herbal notes, nice bitter hoppy finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-definitely deserves it's place in the upper echelon of DIPAs, very aromatic with a great balance of flavors (383 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is close to as good as it gets. Pours a hazy light orange color. Thick fluffy head and great lacing on the glass. Smell is fantastic, tropical, hoppy. Juicy taste, with some sweetness. Hops shine through beautifully. Feel is extremely smooth, goes down very easy. A favorite of mine for sure (296 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this at Teresas, same night as the Sour Event.

Pours a cloudy orange, with a nice fluffy white head.

Smell isn't as strong as I expected. Definate citrus smell, fresh n fruity.

This beer shines in the mouth. Tastes like fresh, bitter hops. Awesome bitterness on the swallow.

Feels so good in the mouth. Creamy and on the thicker side. Nice fresh, oily hop presence. Fucking Awesome!

I love this beer, definately get it, try it, if you can! (448 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Steve for hooking me up with a 2L growler of this.

I'll skip to the review of taste, as the others all take care of aroma and appearance.

Taste - A little different than I was expecting based on the description and other reviews. To me, this beer had some citrus aspects, such as bitter grapefruit peel, but the flavor was mostly dominated by the pine. Not my favorite flavor profile.

Overall - This is a very solid DIPA, and I enjoyed it. However, I enjoyed a number of the other HF hoppy beers I've tried much more. It surprises me greatly that this is the highest rated of the bunch. Glad to have tried it, but certainly not one I would seek out again. (668 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at The Blackback Pub in Waterbury, VT. 10-12 oz. pour into a Hill Farmstead longstem snifter. Cloudy pale gold color, and the beer was very cold. Head faded quickly but decent lacing. Nose is tropical/citrus with very little bitterness. At first sight and smell, I am curious as to how old this keg is. The last time I was in this establishment was late April, when I tried HF Double Galaxy. I have to say the Abner was delicious but not as impressive overall as the Double Galaxy. I am still very impressed by Hill Farmstead; I just think this keg was a bit aged and muted for a highly rated DIPA. (605 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A very hazy orange with a glow at the center like the sun. White foam rose and fell quickly.

Enormous citrus aroma, heavy with oranges. Assertive and inviting.

Firm semi-sweet malt foundation. Explosion of fruit. Bitterness bursts at the swallow, and drags the fruit with it through the afterglow.

Nice prickly mouthfeel.

An outstanding IPA that lives up to the brewery's reputation. (388 characters)

Cheers to iLOVEbeer for the extra!
#1
- Tasted and noted on 12-Jul-13.

Poured from a howler that was filled 14 days ago and it traveled cross country in summer days. Not the ideal condition probably, but seeing as how I'm in SoCal, I'm not complaining.

Aromas are kind of faint but get the typical pine and tropical and citrus fruits. Smells as if it's going to be dry. Bit of zest and earthy-ness. In the taste, it starts off with pine and earthy-ness. Then a sweet, caramely, nectary juice. Dank pine hops all throughout. Definitely in a good way. It's got a low malt body and got a crisp dryness in the finish. Almost got a saison-quality to it.

170 theoretical IBU?? Tastes like half that. 8.2 abv? Could pass as a single IPA. Fantastic DIPA. Very dangerously drinkable. I can only assume fresh from tap would make this unworldly.

#2
- 2014 vintage
- Off tap @ Beachwood (LBC) on 7-Nov-14
- 10 oz. pour into a wheat beer glass

Tasted against Double Citra, Legitmacy, and Nelson Single Hop. Of the four, I ranked this one 1st. In fact, this is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I will now often wonder when I'll get to have this off tap again... (1,161 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very happy to have a chance to try this finally.

Pours a nice hazy, light orange body. Loads of juicy tropical fruit, lots of sticky lacing on the sides and very orange forward in flavor, but leans toward the fresh sweet ones. Lip smacking, well done. (253 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Poured from 1.5L swingtop growler (less than 5 day old) into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to a fellow BeerAdvocate for going to the HF release party to pick up a growler for me. Pours hazy gold with a thin white head that lasts very nicely throughout. Wow! The aroma reminds me of the Ephraim, I pick up some mango, tangerine, pineapple, and some grass. The flavor sure reminds me of the Ephraim as the aroma clearly suggested at the beginning. Sweet pines, some lemon, mango, and pineapple are detected across the tongue as well. Thin and smooth mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. This is a very dangerously drinkable DIPA from Hill Farmstead. Glad to have tried this one out! (678 characters)

Chilled 750mL growler into a glass. Thanks, Ben! Consumed on a beach in Kaua'i.

A: Pours an unfiltered copper body that glows a burnt orange against the setting sun. I normally love clear IPAs, and I mark down the unfiltered ones for a reason. But, for reasons that will become clear as you read on, I had to make an exception here.

S: Peaches, mango, pineapple -- this is a tropical citrus smorgasbord. Having eaten nonstop tropical fruit since I arrived on this island, this beer is a liquid reminder of the excellence of my surroundings. It has a restrained pale malt nose that imparts only the lightest sweetness.

T: Tropical citrus: mango, peach, pineapple, and the rind of orange and lemon and grapefruit. The "rind" is mentioned because there is a mild bitterness found here; it is sticky and lingering, but not overpowering or palate-wrecking. The pale malt imparts enough sweetness to give the beer heft without making it seem thin and insubstantial. This is the oxymoronic "balance" that people speak of in DIPAs.

M: Great hoppy flavor with modest bitterness, yet a clean finish. I find myself struggling to find a flaw here. There is none. The beer hides it ABV smoothly, it carries no extra sweetness, and it doesn't ruin the palate with excessive bitterness. This is clean to a fault.

O: I would be inclined to say I'm being generous toward this beer given the particular setting, but I also consumed a growler of HF Citra IPA, from the same box, prior to this trip, in my drab apartment. I found that one amazing, as well. I review harshly, but there's simply nothing to criticize here. This is an affordable, exceptionally well-crafted beer. It is hard to acquire in trade for a reason. I'm sorry to contribute to the hype, but this is world-class. I hope I get to drink a 2L of this in the future. (1,823 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

750ml growler (filled 9/8/12) courtesy of jlindros. Taking for making the trek up there and grabbing this for me! Poured into a Harpoon 100 Barrel series stemmed glass.

A - Pours a very well hazed pale golden color - thick and fruit juicy looking. Three fingers of fluffy white head rises off the surface with a semi-aggressive pour into the middle of the glass. Beautiful looking DIPA!

S - From over a foot away from the glass, all I can smell is hops. Super fresh smelling, freshly peeled and cut grapefruit, mildly sweet, a touch of sweatiness, extremely faint (but definitely there) grainy and sugary malt base. Outstanding!

T - Thick citrusy and tropical up front...tons of fresh grapefruit, lots of pineapple, hints of pine/resiny and a little bit of apricots. Sharply bitter...gives a lasting impression on the tongue - the hints of sugary malt try to tame it a bit, thankfully without much success...but just enough to sooth it out a touch. I've had one of the first pints of Pliny off a fresh bright tank at the RR pub...even that didn't taste as fresh or hop forward as this. Again, outstanding!

M - A bit on thin side...definitely not watery but lacking a bit in body. Carbonation is smooth, just a touch tingly and just shy of medium. Well attenuated fermentation that leaves the beer fairly dry overall leaving only traces of sweetness behind. Mouth filling bitterness and a tropical fruity/citrusy explosion. Really good.

O - Overall, this has to be in my top 5 best DIPA's - right there with PtY, Double Sunshine, Heady Topper for me. Really great...I've had this on tap before and remember it being a really great beer, but I had forgotten how great...fresh growler from the source makes this really amazing. Definitely get this if you can and drink it fresh. (1,780 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at capones.

A- comes to me with a nice finger or so of bright white head that settles after a few to leave a nice smattering of lace around the glass and just the faintest of rings. Hazy sunset orange yellow in color with a glow that makes ya feel warm inside.

S- wow wow we wow. This smells amazing. Mash a mango in your face then take a bite out of a tangerine, that's what were working with here. A touch of the super dank doobs for a second then a smooth roll into a floral honey like sweetness.

T- loads of citrus and tropical fruits with mango, oranges, pineapple, finishing out with a good bite of grapefruit rind. Just about the fruitiest dipa I've had. Light touches of cut grass and a bit of a floral twist. Malts do just enough to keep things in check but never put a dent in the fruit. Dry biscuits and a bit o honey.

M- just about perfectly mid level in the body department, like the perfect lady, just enough to hold on to but nothing more then you need. Carb is great with the bubbles hitting all the right spots but never going to far and blowing the body out of the water.

D- that's a god damn good beer. I'd go to say its up there with the best and I've had the best. Baller as hell and so fucking drinkable. I'm in awe of this beer. (1,268 characters)

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery