Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews: 302 | Hads: 2,002
Reviews by pawpaw:
4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection. (2,583 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Crying shame what the bros scored this beer; try again. (55 characters)

A - Dark brown-black body, opaque, with a full dark tan head. Fades quickly to thin coating head. Decent lacing, full and robust. All told, this is what I want my beer to look like.

S - A full, complex roast nose, with big chocolate and coffee elements, coupling with a strong molasses bread note. This just makes me want to go in for a drink.

T - Delivering on the nose, with an open of strong roasted malts, full of coffee and bread, leading to a middle with slightly more acidity and smoke and savory highlights, closing with a solid bitter finish that clears the flavors perfectly.

M - Full, with a nice weight on the tongue that indicates the beers presence, coupled with decent carbonation to keep the fullness from becoming cloying. No real drying on the close. Incredibly well balanced.

O - I have finally met a 5.0 beer. A beer that lines up perfectly with the expectations I have for a porter, and delivers both precise balance and nuanced flavor notes that make drinking both extraordinarily rewarding and a genuine pleasure. Brewers would do well to take note of the beauty, simplicity and depth this beer achieves. Illustration no. 1 that all beers do not have to take it to 11. (1,204 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Armsby Abby.

Pours into an HF chalice, dark with a chocolate brown head. What you expect from a porter.

Smells charred and chocolately. Dark chocolate, especially, with nodes of coffee that don't taste like they're from coffee so much as they're coffee-like hints you'd pick up from roasted grain. One of the most pleasantly intense bitter aromas I've ever come across.

Tastes like it smells only more variegated. Milk chocolate and light roast coffee up front, dark roasted espresso near the middle, dark chocolate at the back. Intense and wonderful throughout without ever becoming unbalance to too strong.

This is turning out to be the year of the porter for me. On the sweet side is Tributary's otherworldly Porter, and toward the bitter end is Everett. It might not be trendy enough to rank among HF's more desirable beers, but Everett is as good as they come. (886 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.77/5  rDev +7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown, almost black opaque with a nice tan head and good lacing.

S - Coffee, sweet caramel, roasted malt, and earthy tones

T - Big bitterness, dark chocolate, a touch of espresso, some oak. The swallow brings everything together, with big chocolate bitterness and charred toast.

M - Full bodied. Silky smooth. Low side of moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

O - This is the definition of what a porter is. If you had to choose a beer to define a category this is it when it comes to porters for me. Another solid brew from HF. (542 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.66/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Prohibition Pig. Just an exceptional beer. It's been a long, long time since I rated a beer this highly.

In a tulip the beer was black. There was a small, café au lait colored head with a smattering of lace.

Aroma of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt.

Complex taste. One minute I'm tasting sweet chocolate, the next minute dark chocolate, then espresso.

A wonderful combination of bitter and sweet. Medium-bodied.

I could drink this forever. (462 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.15/5  rDev -7%

Happy to get to try this one on tap at the Lazy Boy in White Plains, NY a few months ago and this is reviewed from notes.

Pours near black with a dark tan head. Leaves tons of fine lace covering the glass all the way to the top of the glass.

Dense dark chocolate nose.

More dark chocolate, vanilla and dark malty notes. Densely flavorful and super smooth. Finishes with a quite dry flourish. All star porter. Well worth seeking out. (435 characters)

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery