Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Reviews by pawpaw:
4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection.

pawpaw, Sep 24, 2013

tectactoe, Jan 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Schlais, Nov 30, 2012

TimBeaulieu, Aug 05, 2014
4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown, almost black opaque with a nice tan head and good lacing.

S - Coffee, sweet caramel, roasted malt, and earthy tones

T - Big bitterness, dark chocolate, a touch of espresso, some oak. The swallow brings everything together, with big chocolate bitterness and charred toast.

M - Full bodied. Silky smooth. Low side of moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

O - This is the definition of what a porter is. If you had to choose a beer to define a category this is it when it comes to porters for me. Another solid brew from HF.

SkiBum22, Dec 05, 2012

orbitalr0x, Jan 02, 2012

joel66, Mar 07, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Prohibition Pig. Just an exceptional beer. It's been a long, long time since I rated a beer this highly.

In a tulip the beer was black. There was a small, café au lait colored head with a smattering of lace.

Aroma of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt.

Complex taste. One minute I'm tasting sweet chocolate, the next minute dark chocolate, then espresso.

A wonderful combination of bitter and sweet. Medium-bodied.

I could drink this forever.

lordofthewiens, Feb 23, 2014

Jason, Jul 29, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

BeerMe13, May 16, 2013
4.16/5  rDev -8.2%

Happy to get to try this one on tap at the Lazy Boy in White Plains, NY a few months ago and this is reviewed from notes.

Pours near black with a dark tan head. Leaves tons of fine lace covering the glass all the way to the top of the glass.

Dense dark chocolate nose.

More dark chocolate, vanilla and dark malty notes. Densely flavorful and super smooth. Finishes with a quite dry flourish. All star porter. Well worth seeking out.

Billolick, Jul 01, 2013