Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Wants: 1,086
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews: 328 | Hads: 2,146

One of the best beers I have ever had! Chocolate roasty aroma with an incredible nutty, chocolate taste. Really!!! I could drink this every day it's that good. Pours almost no head yet has a fantastic mouthfeel with crisp slight carbonation. This is the very definition of a World Class Beer! Seek this out, sell your home do what you need to do to try this beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary beer!

A-poured into Hill Farmstead glass, very rich dark brown with a small mocha head. Looks like you're about to drink a brownie.
S-very chocolate, dark malt, coffee
T-just like it smells, very chocolatey coffee, sweet aftertaste, nothing really smokey. Phenomenal
M-almost creamy, sweet aftertaste, very rich.
O-Probably my favorite porter I've had. This alone is always worth the trip to HFB

A - Dark brown-black body, opaque, with a full dark tan head. Fades quickly to thin coating head. Decent lacing, full and robust. All told, this is what I want my beer to look like.

S - A full, complex roast nose, with big chocolate and coffee elements, coupling with a strong molasses bread note. This just makes me want to go in for a drink.

T - Delivering on the nose, with an open of strong roasted malts, full of coffee and bread, leading to a middle with slightly more acidity and smoke and savory highlights, closing with a solid bitter finish that clears the flavors perfectly.

M - Full, with a nice weight on the tongue that indicates the beers presence, coupled with decent carbonation to keep the fullness from becoming cloying. No real drying on the close. Incredibly well balanced.

O - I have finally met a 5.0 beer. A beer that lines up perfectly with the expectations I have for a porter, and delivers both precise balance and nuanced flavor notes that make drinking both extraordinarily rewarding and a genuine pleasure. Brewers would do well to take note of the beauty, simplicity and depth this beer achieves. Illustration no. 1 that all beers do not have to take it to 11.

On draft at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, VT (great bar!). They served Everett to me in a tulip. Deep, dark brown body: nearly black. Two fingers of red-tinged, dark brown head.

I'm not the biggest fan of porters. I enjoy them, but they never wow me. This one WOWed me. Everett is pitch-perfect. Great nose, great taste. The mouthfeel is so rich and creamy. I drank it while eating the meat flatbread I ordered, and the two paired so very well together.

Can't wait to head up to Hill Farmstead and get myself a growler of Everett!

A: Poured a deep brown with spot on carbonation leaving a dirty tan cap. Looked very sexy,

S: Big roasted malt, milk chocolate, hint at espresso and nuts

T: Starts out with a big and rich roasty smoothness, milk chocolate backed up with a hint at bitter cocoa and very small, quick dash of Earthy hops, light booze and dark fruit;has a nice robust finishing taste but smooth bitterness from chocolate and roasted malts.

M: Body is medium to big, well carbonated, smooth, light booze is warming and thie flavor is persistently great on the palate.

O: Of all the porters I have had this one takes the cake. If I imagine the perfect porter this would be it and if all porters were this well crafted, tasty and drinkable, porters would be among my favorite style.

Again another perfect 5 from Hill Farmstead
Big boy growler brought to CT by TauroE
Pours a fully opaque jet black with a 1 inch head and phenomenal lace
Taste has a medium density with chocolate, coffee shining through and vanilla in the background
Mouthfeel smooth and creamy
Overall perfect

Look: Deep dark black, with a creme brûlée style head that laces the glass
Smell: Overwhelming coffe and subtle caramel
Taste: The best HFS I've had… ever! Woody, coffee
Feel: Big bold body with a never-ending lingering on the tongue
Overall: Just Great…. get one!

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

(copied from blog - written March 9, 2013)

Appearance – On the lighter side of black. Creamy brown head. Slight lacing.
Smell – Chocolate and roasted barley. Some vanilla.
Taste – Very bold, burnt/roasted backbone. Chocolate is prominent. Slight boozy taste.

Holy shit, man! Perhaps it’s the anticipation of having 64 ounces of this godly liquid in my fridge for a few days untouched… or perhaps it’s because the first glass I had was after drinking four crappy Lionsheads… or maybe it’s because it is ABSOLUTELY delicious, but this beer woke me up from the tired stupor I was in on this boring Saturday night. I had barely gotten done taking the picture of it in the glass before it was going down the hatch. It is known that I love imperial porters but this takes that love to a different place. A honeymoon in Hawaii perhaps… OK I’ll leave the weird, romantic shit at the door…

In all seriousness, Earl’s bigger and more badass brother Everett has a huge roasted barley taste which is the highlight of this beer, it REALLY catches your attention, and if you like that sort of flavor you will be blown away. The chocolate along with the smooth mouthfeel assist in the drinkability which is unusually high considering the strong flavor.

One more time, thanks to Brian for making this consumption possible! Cheers!

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A wonderful creamy mocha cocoa brown and light chocolate head, forms really nicely, settling down to a nice three finger controlled head, some swiss cheese character, but mostly even on bubble size. Lots of valleys and retention in the head. Body is a nice dark dark walnut brown getting near black, almost red hue, slight red hues even for the entire body, a little bit of flake of yeast at the bottom not a lot, and some rising carbonation but you really have to look. Really sexy looking beer.

A great nose on this brew just flat out wonderful. Coffee, warm chocolate, wonderful milk cream, and roasting malts. Great chocolate sense, rich creamy dark chocolate, milky sensations with cream egging on the coffee angle and nice small sweetness. Just flat out wonderful and great.

Taste is just unreal. One of the most perfectly balanced beers for its style it seems, knocking out flavors that some Russian Imperials could only dream of. Fantastic chocolate sensations, and dry malts, with tobacco mixing finishes. Thick body rich without syrup and a light porter body. Creamy unbelievable mouthfeel with still a light body, in just a hint .. a hint of playful carbonation. I don't know how they got that. Coffee and chocolate is just EVERYWHERE on the palate. Even a small lingering hop so faint.

This brew is literally the definition of every taste and beer component done to perfection, and balanced so nicely. This is hands down the best porter I have ever had to date. I haven't had every Porter imaginable, but this is a practicaly working definition of the "perfect" beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

thick black as night opaque oil color with a nice two inch head that ever so slowly faded and stayed at about a half inch until the bottom. Very nice thick lace down the sides, gooey and creamy, very nice look to it. Smell took a while to warm up, at first was strong alcohol and caramel sweetness. As it warmed some more subtle smells started to come through, hints at chocolate and coffee started to overtake, and the alcohol quickly faded, leaving a very nice overall aroma. The taste followed the smell with the caramel hitting first. Nice flavors of coffee followed, maybe even a hazelnut hint in there, well rounded.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

500ml bottle purchased at the brewery.

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/4" dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades ever-so sedately, with leggy, slow-falling lace. Aroma is the definition of robust. Hearty dark malts and sweet chocolate.

Taste starts with thick chocolate, creamy chocolate milk in the middle, balances out with some bitterness and coasts through the close. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth, and drinkability is superb.

I told myself I wouldn't be misled by the label or the brewery, but I swear, the contents support the accolades. One of the definitive standards of the style out there right now. Don't let the dirt roads deter you.

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at Torst. My maiden beer there. Pours a dark brown cloudy color with a caramel colored head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, caramel, alcohol and slight slight spice. Sweet creamy chocolate taste with coffee notes and slight spice pinch. Perhaps a slight vanilla to add silkiness. Love it. Best porter I have had. It gets as close to a stout as a porter will get without crossing the line.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Had two growlers full of this and has to be easily top 3 porters I have ever had. Beautiful black bear with a tan/khaki head. Immediately you get tons of roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, caramel. Just a great clean porter.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a growler into a tulip, the beer is jet black, with a foamy, dense, low profile, clingy, light tan head. Aromas of rich, roasted coffee, hints of peat, highlights of cocoa nib, and subtle char notes. Very aromatic and bold. Flavors are big and smooth forward, with a solid dose of cocoa nib, bitter roasted coffee, subtle cream undertones, highlights of char and campfire smoke, and a touch of milk chocolate. Amazingly balanced, with a seamless transition between all of the flavor notes. The body is full, smooth, and big, but it completely fits with the profiles of the beer. Richly sweet and heavily roasted aftertaste, with lingering notes of chocolate of coffee. The finish is smooth, dry, and with a delicious linger. This is arguably the best porter I have ever had.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Everett Porter, poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed tulip glass.

Look - Sits a dark black with a slight red hue around the edges when held up to the light. Small soapy head dissipates quickly but leaves an abundance of lacing.

Smell - Slight roasted malts prominent. Coffee. Some semisweet chocolate. Rich and inviting. Faint hops.

Taste - Rich creamy chocolate and coffee followed by a perfectly balanced roasted malt and a dash of hops.

Mouthfeel - Medium-heavy body but smooth as hell, medium carbonation. So creamy. Rests a fading tasty bitter roasted malt with coffee and chocolate. So drinkable.

Overall - Easily one of the best if not the best porters ever.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

The depth of flavor that this beer offers without using additives is world class. It is truly a world class porter. The mouthfeel and body of this beer distinguishes itself as a true porter with the proper viscosity. So much roast that you get all the coffee you want without the bitterness or burnt taste. There is some chocolate/sweetness that balances the whole beer out as well. Truly a delight and the best porter I've had.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

22 oz. Bomber. American Porter. 7.5 ABV. Jet Black with a hazelnut cream head. Solid malt nose with heavy dark chocolate and medium roasted coffee smell with a sugary sweet end. Almost a sugar in the raw smell. Taste is magnificent. All of the smells are present in the flavor. Light to no carbonation. Rich smooth feel with an even smoother finish. Aftertaste is an exquisite mocha coffee like blend. This beer smacks me in the face with how good it is. My brother in law ThreeLions introduced me to this. It is certainly my favorite beer in this style and might be my favorite beer that I have ever tried.

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wowzers. Best porter I've ever tried. Look is great. Dark, dark brown, thick, nice head, like you expect. Smell and taste are both tons of chocolate, the typical porter roast, and not too much bitterness and coffee, etc. So chocolatey and smooth, unlike a lot of "top-end" porters that are really bitter or roasty, and basically just are made to try to stand out from popular stouts. Nice to find something that actually tastes damn good, rather than just trying to be the best of something no one else does (and therefore automatically the best...yawn). The mouthfeel was so thick and creamy, I didn't even think about it till now, it was just so perfect. Like a roasty mocha. And I get defensive about living 9 min away from Jack's Abby, with their standard-of-the-style Baltic Porter Framinghammer. But this was just awesome.

Honestly -- totally honest here -- this was the best HF beer I've had. And I believe I've had all their beers above 4 on BA multiple times, and many others, as well. The IPAs, in my opinion, are all (ALL) below many of Tree House's IPAs, and I live closer to them. So I will pass of the HF hoppy stuff most of the time (yes, I know I am extremely spoiled. I think about and appreciate that every day of my life :). But this is the best porter I've ever had, and the best HF beer I've had. I am re-committed to HF after this. In-freakin-credible.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

Served in an old-school Hill Farmstead pint from a growler obtained in Greensboro about a week prior.

A: Silk, black, oily with a caramel mocha head. Perfect.

S: Chocolate, coffee, whisky, and oak.

T: Spot on porter. As with the smell, the coffee flavor is the most powerful and the balance of roasted malts, hops, along with the mouthfeel make this superb.

M: Perfect creamy, thick mouthfeel one would expect from Hill.

O: This is, by far, the best porter or stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying and I suspect it's up there on all counts. This was the first non-hoppy beer from Hill that I got to try on tap back in the winter at Parker Pie Co., in West Glover, Vt., and did it blow me away. Execution down to a minute detail as has become the trend from Hill. Try it if you can.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Chocolate brown in color with a nice tan head to complement. Creamy head. Good lacing.

S: Chocolate, coffee.

T: More of the same from the nose with ample malting present. Sweet and could be a dessert. A subtle fresh hop flavor is present.

M: Creamy, and on the thicker side.

O: Redefines a porter for me - rarely have seen this depth of flavor in this style and really enjoyable.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 mL growler into a HF stemmed tulip. The growler was obtained on 3/01/2014 from the brewery, and consumed on 3/03.

A- Jet black with a molasses brown hue at the edge of the glass. The small tan head from the pour recedes quickly, leaving minimal lacing. This is a beautiful beer and hits all of the visual cues that my brain is looking for in a porter. I suppose a tiny bit more head/lacing could make this a perfect 5, but I'm reaching here!

O- Wow. Just absolutely wonderful on all accounts. Fresh malted barley with a beautiful medium roast. Neither overwhelming nor faint, this one is just right. It's hard to imagine a better smelling porter.

T- Up front, it's pure malty, roasty goodness. As the mild sweetness fades, the coffee flavor starts to pick up, reaching a quite lovely combination of malt and mocha. Coffee dominates the finish, bringing on a satisfying light bitter quality that makes you crave another sip.

M - Silky smooth, this beer is not as heavy as I expected. There's minimal carbonation, yet it still feels light on the tongue. It's a bit surprising, as its not as syrupy as I expected, nor as dry. The alcohol is quite well hidden, as is the case with most HF beers.

O - Simply the best porter I have ever had. Absolutely astounding purity. I've had this on tap and from a growler, and it did not disappoint. If you are a fan of porters, I highly recommend you seek this out!

500ml bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Shared with schen9303

Appearance is absolute perfection. 1.5 finger dark mocha head with great retention. Oily legs and thick patchy lace that really sticks around. Beer is pitch black with a nice density.

Very aromatic. Notes of coffee beans, chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, liquorice, and vanilla. A very subtle hop presence floats in the background too. Super appetizing.

Opens chocolate, cocoa, and light iced coffee. Some roasted malt peaks towards the middle but not enough to overpower the sweetness, only serving to balance it out. Very small notes of dark fruit at the end with more cocoa powder and chocolate. Molasses sweetness right at the end with a fudgy and roasted malt aftertaste. Doesn't get better than this.

Medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Smooth and rich in the mouth and goes down smooth and slick. Spot on. Finish is slightly messy and filmy with a lingering aftertaste. Leaves me craving more.

I've never given out all 5's but this is as close as it gets to perfection for me. For a brewery known for its pale ales and saisons to put out a porter of this caliber... Shaun Hill is a master and Hill Farmstead may just be the best all-around brewery on the planet.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Very black with a nice two finger depth of head. Left a good amount of lacing.

S- Chocolate and roasted malts. Some hop presence.

T- Chocolate and Roasted malt goodness. A little hot on the finish. Some vanilla and Coffee in there too. Tasted somewhere between a porter and Russian Imperial (and closer towards a RIS). As it warmed the flavors really started to come out.

M- Full bodied no doubt. Very creamy. Absolute perfection here.

O- So much great flavor going on here. It's too bad this is a hard one to get. Vermonters are so damn lucky. Totally enjoyed it, though it seemed to be less a porter than RIS.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a growler on multiple occasions. Deep, rich brown/black in color with tan head that laces nicely. Finish is slightly malty and roasty. My favorite of all the HFB offerings. Its balance of subtle coffee, chocolate and roastiness makes for an amazing experience.

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery