1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Everett Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,273 | Reviews: 261 | Show All Ratings:
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Poured a deep brown with spot on carbonation leaving a dirty tan cap. Looked very sexy,

S: Big roasted malt, milk chocolate, hint at espresso and nuts

T: Starts out with a big and rich roasty smoothness, milk chocolate backed up with a hint at bitter cocoa and very small, quick dash of Earthy hops, light booze and dark fruit;has a nice robust finishing taste but smooth bitterness from chocolate and roasted malts.

M: Body is medium to big, well carbonated, smooth, light booze is warming and thie flavor is persistently great on the palate.

O: Of all the porters I have had this one takes the cake. If I imagine the perfect porter this would be it and if all porters were this well crafted, tasty and drinkable, porters would be among my favorite style.

09-25-2011 14:15:25 | More by barleywinefiend
themind

One of the best beers I have ever had! Chocolate roasty aroma with an incredible nutty, chocolate taste. Really!!! I could drink this every day it's that good. Pours almost no head yet has a fantastic mouthfeel with crisp slight carbonation. This is the very definition of a World Class Beer! Seek this out, sell your home do what you need to do to try this beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary beer!

05-28-2013 00:12:21 | More by themind
KingdomBobcat

Vermont

A-poured into Hill Farmstead glass, very rich dark brown with a small mocha head. Looks like you're about to drink a brownie.
S-very chocolate, dark malt, coffee
T-just like it smells, very chocolatey coffee, sweet aftertaste, nothing really smokey. Phenomenal
M-almost creamy, sweet aftertaste, very rich.
O-Probably my favorite porter I've had. This alone is always worth the trip to HFB

06-26-2013 13:01:21 | More by KingdomBobcat
alaimoa

Connecticut

Again another perfect 5 from Hill Farmstead
Big boy growler brought to CT by TauroE
Pours a fully opaque jet black with a 1 inch head and phenomenal lace
Taste has a medium density with chocolate, coffee shining through and vanilla in the background
Mouthfeel smooth and creamy
Overall perfect

07-26-2013 21:07:13 | More by alaimoa
RummyRedbeard

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

(copied from blog - written March 9, 2013)

Appearance – On the lighter side of black. Creamy brown head. Slight lacing.
Smell – Chocolate and roasted barley. Some vanilla.
Taste – Very bold, burnt/roasted backbone. Chocolate is prominent. Slight boozy taste.

Holy shit, man! Perhaps it’s the anticipation of having 64 ounces of this godly liquid in my fridge for a few days untouched… or perhaps it’s because the first glass I had was after drinking four crappy Lionsheads… or maybe it’s because it is ABSOLUTELY delicious, but this beer woke me up from the tired stupor I was in on this boring Saturday night. I had barely gotten done taking the picture of it in the glass before it was going down the hatch. It is known that I love imperial porters but this takes that love to a different place. A honeymoon in Hawaii perhaps… OK I’ll leave the weird, romantic shit at the door…

In all seriousness, Earl’s bigger and more badass brother Everett has a huge roasted barley taste which is the highlight of this beer, it REALLY catches your attention, and if you like that sort of flavor you will be blown away. The chocolate along with the smooth mouthfeel assist in the drinkability which is unusually high considering the strong flavor.

One more time, thanks to Brian for making this consumption possible! Cheers!

05-24-2013 22:57:56 | More by RummyRedbeard
smakawhat

Maryland

4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A wonderful creamy mocha cocoa brown and light chocolate head, forms really nicely, settling down to a nice three finger controlled head, some swiss cheese character, but mostly even on bubble size. Lots of valleys and retention in the head. Body is a nice dark dark walnut brown getting near black, almost red hue, slight red hues even for the entire body, a little bit of flake of yeast at the bottom not a lot, and some rising carbonation but you really have to look. Really sexy looking beer.

A great nose on this brew just flat out wonderful. Coffee, warm chocolate, wonderful milk cream, and roasting malts. Great chocolate sense, rich creamy dark chocolate, milky sensations with cream egging on the coffee angle and nice small sweetness. Just flat out wonderful and great.

Taste is just unreal. One of the most perfectly balanced beers for its style it seems, knocking out flavors that some Russian Imperials could only dream of. Fantastic chocolate sensations, and dry malts, with tobacco mixing finishes. Thick body rich without syrup and a light porter body. Creamy unbelievable mouthfeel with still a light body, in just a hint .. a hint of playful carbonation. I don't know how they got that. Coffee and chocolate is just EVERYWHERE on the palate. Even a small lingering hop so faint.

This brew is literally the definition of every taste and beer component done to perfection, and balanced so nicely. This is hands down the best porter I have ever had to date. I haven't had every Porter imaginable, but this is a practicaly working definition of the "perfect" beer.

06-08-2012 02:35:49 | More by smakawhat
ppoitras

4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

500ml bottle purchased at the brewery.

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/4" dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades ever-so sedately, with leggy, slow-falling lace. Aroma is the definition of robust. Hearty dark malts and sweet chocolate.

Taste starts with thick chocolate, creamy chocolate milk in the middle, balances out with some bitterness and coasts through the close. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth, and drinkability is superb.

I told myself I wouldn't be misled by the label or the brewery, but I swear, the contents support the accolades. One of the definitive standards of the style out there right now. Don't let the dirt roads deter you.

08-21-2012 01:31:09 | More by ppoitras
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +10%

thick black as night opaque oil color with a nice two inch head that ever so slowly faded and stayed at about a half inch until the bottom. Very nice thick lace down the sides, gooey and creamy, very nice look to it. Smell took a while to warm up, at first was strong alcohol and caramel sweetness. As it warmed some more subtle smells started to come through, hints at chocolate and coffee started to overtake, and the alcohol quickly faded, leaving a very nice overall aroma. The taste followed the smell with the caramel hitting first. Nice flavors of coffee followed, maybe even a hazelnut hint in there, well rounded.

08-20-2011 01:56:52 | More by mikesgroove
chalsk

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Torst. My maiden beer there. Pours a dark brown cloudy color with a caramel colored head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, caramel, alcohol and slight slight spice. Sweet creamy chocolate taste with coffee notes and slight spice pinch. Perhaps a slight vanilla to add silkiness. Love it. Best porter I have had. It gets as close to a stout as a porter will get without crossing the line.

04-07-2013 02:02:15 | More by chalsk
pawpaw

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection.

09-24-2013 15:02:26 | More by pawpaw
PHBoiler

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

The depth of flavor that this beer offers without using additives is world class. It is truly a world class porter. The mouthfeel and body of this beer distinguishes itself as a true porter with the proper viscosity. So much roast that you get all the coffee you want without the bitterness or burnt taste. There is some chocolate/sweetness that balances the whole beer out as well. Truly a delight and the best porter I've had.

07-01-2013 04:08:18 | More by PHBoiler
Hab11

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz. Bomber. American Porter. 7.5 ABV. Jet Black with a hazelnut cream head. Solid malt nose with heavy dark chocolate and medium roasted coffee smell with a sugary sweet end. Almost a sugar in the raw smell. Taste is magnificent. All of the smells are present in the flavor. Light to no carbonation. Rich smooth feel with an even smoother finish. Aftertaste is an exquisite mocha coffee like blend. This beer smacks me in the face with how good it is. My brother in law ThreeLions introduced me to this. It is certainly my favorite beer in this style and might be my favorite beer that I have ever tried.

01-25-2014 02:12:06 | More by Hab11
GatheringBrews

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a growler on multiple occasions. Deep, rich brown/black in color with tan head that laces nicely. Finish is slightly malty and roasty. My favorite of all the HFB offerings. Its balance of subtle coffee, chocolate and roastiness makes for an amazing experience.

01-06-2011 01:45:18 | More by GatheringBrews
SpeedwayJim

500ml bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Shared with schen9303

Appearance is absolute perfection. 1.5 finger dark mocha head with great retention. Oily legs and thick patchy lace that really sticks around. Beer is pitch black with a nice density.

Very aromatic. Notes of coffee beans, chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, liquorice, and vanilla. A very subtle hop presence floats in the background too. Super appetizing.

Opens chocolate, cocoa, and light iced coffee. Some roasted malt peaks towards the middle but not enough to overpower the sweetness, only serving to balance it out. Very small notes of dark fruit at the end with more cocoa powder and chocolate. Molasses sweetness right at the end with a fudgy and roasted malt aftertaste. Doesn't get better than this.

Medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Smooth and rich in the mouth and goes down smooth and slick. Spot on. Finish is slightly messy and filmy with a lingering aftertaste. Leaves me craving more.

I've never given out all 5's but this is as close as it gets to perfection for me. For a brewery known for its pale ales and saisons to put out a porter of this caliber... Shaun Hill is a master and Hill Farmstead may just be the best all-around brewery on the planet.

09-26-2012 01:23:20 | More by SpeedwayJim
Oakenator

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Chocolate brown in color with a nice tan head to complement. Creamy head. Good lacing.

S: Chocolate, coffee.

T: More of the same from the nose with ample malting present. Sweet and could be a dessert. A subtle fresh hop flavor is present.

M: Creamy, and on the thicker side.

O: Redefines a porter for me - rarely have seen this depth of flavor in this style and really enjoyable.

06-02-2013 04:14:35 | More by Oakenator
BTVflatlander

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Served in an old-school Hill Farmstead pint from a growler obtained in Greensboro about a week prior.

A: Silk, black, oily with a caramel mocha head. Perfect.

S: Chocolate, coffee, whisky, and oak.

T: Spot on porter. As with the smell, the coffee flavor is the most powerful and the balance of roasted malts, hops, along with the mouthfeel make this superb.

M: Perfect creamy, thick mouthfeel one would expect from Hill.

O: This is, by far, the best porter or stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying and I suspect it's up there on all counts. This was the first non-hoppy beer from Hill that I got to try on tap back in the winter at Parker Pie Co., in West Glover, Vt., and did it blow me away. Execution down to a minute detail as has become the trend from Hill. Try it if you can.

10-18-2013 20:45:33 | More by BTVflatlander
TychoNDC

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 mL growler into a HF stemmed tulip. The growler was obtained on 3/01/2014 from the brewery, and consumed on 3/03.

A- Jet black with a molasses brown hue at the edge of the glass. The small tan head from the pour recedes quickly, leaving minimal lacing. This is a beautiful beer and hits all of the visual cues that my brain is looking for in a porter. I suppose a tiny bit more head/lacing could make this a perfect 5, but I'm reaching here!

O- Wow. Just absolutely wonderful on all accounts. Fresh malted barley with a beautiful medium roast. Neither overwhelming nor faint, this one is just right. It's hard to imagine a better smelling porter.

T- Up front, it's pure malty, roasty goodness. As the mild sweetness fades, the coffee flavor starts to pick up, reaching a quite lovely combination of malt and mocha. Coffee dominates the finish, bringing on a satisfying light bitter quality that makes you crave another sip.

M - Silky smooth, this beer is not as heavy as I expected. There's minimal carbonation, yet it still feels light on the tongue. It's a bit surprising, as its not as syrupy as I expected, nor as dry. The alcohol is quite well hidden, as is the case with most HF beers.

O - Simply the best porter I have ever had. Absolutely astounding purity. I've had this on tap and from a growler, and it did not disappoint. If you are a fan of porters, I highly recommend you seek this out!

02-28-2014 21:09:40 | More by TychoNDC
Arbitrator

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: The body is a very dark brown with just the faintest edge translucence. Even a mild pour produces two fingers of tan head with excellent retention and lace left in its wake.

S: Roasted coffee -- done in that perfect way that brings out beans and smoke without char and vegetables. It's so prevalent that I find myself scanning the bottle to see if this, like Earl, is made with coffee. It is not. Whatever grain selection or yeast went to work here, it did its job right. Milk chocolate (a mild lactic sweetness), smoke, and dark fruit are also evident.

T: As in the nose, this beer is quite coffee-forward, though I'm aware at this point that the flavor is an effect of grain and yeast doing their work. I'm extremely impressed by its nuances of smoke, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. A lightly spicy bite in the finish complements the resurgent smoke flavor. Wow.

M: 7.5% ABV isn't a heavyweight for my tasting group, but it's certainly a bit bigger than your usual beer. Yet Everett shows no trace of alcohol, perhaps due to the slightly fuller-than-medium body it boasts. It's not completely smooth; the peppery bite in the finish gives it a mild harshness that is unusual for a porter. I'm torn, because the pepper adds so much to the flavor, yet it detracts from the mouthfeel. I don't care. I'm rounding up.

O: I simply could not stop sipping this. Rarely do I encounter a beer I could not put down. This is one. Seek this out. It's a gold standard for the style.

05-17-2011 07:23:31 | More by Arbitrator
Chico1985

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Pours black with a brown head of about 2 fingers, dark head for a porter. Retains easily at a finger and leaves some lacing behind.

Wow, intense smell. Fresh espresso beans right out of the bag, caramel, some roasted malt and hints of dark fruit.

Taste somehow beats the awesome nose, this stuff is excellent. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malt and milk chocolate all balanced to perfection. I don't know how they got some of the flavors without actually adding coffee, but damn this is one tasty beverage.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, perfect balance, no alcohol at 7.5%. This drinks like an iced coffee concoction without being overly sweet.

A damn fine way to end the fest for me, this was my favorite of the beers I tried with an honorable mention to the Edward Pale Ale. I'd love to try this again from the bottle.

05-29-2011 14:53:22 | More by Chico1985
rudzud

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Enjoyed on tap at the Armsby Abbey during Hill Farmstead tap takeover. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a thick, oily black with a nice mocha head that reduces to a thick creamy blanket leaving some nice light side lacing in its wake.

S - Excellent aromas here with strong chocolate and coffee along with vanilla and roasted malts. So, so inviting.

T - Taste is spot on with the nose. Super coffee notes along with a TON of vanilla. I mean, a TON of vanilla. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. This is amazing.

M - Mouthfeel is excellent, nice and silky velvety smooth. So enjoyable.

O - Overall this is a very, very good porter. Love the vanilla and everything else that was in this porter. Could drink this stuff all day long! Easily the highlight of the night.

02-10-2012 02:36:44 | More by rudzud
BeerMeFitz

4.88/5  rDev +8%

My first time at the the brewery so I had it on tap!

A: 2 fingers of creamy brown head

S: Coffee, cocoa, and vanilla.

T: Sooo smooth, with the perfect blend of coffee and cocoa. Hints of vanilla and sugar really add to the beer nicely.

M: Light but remained creamy.

O: This is the best I have ever had as of today at 10:27 am..

06-11-2012 15:28:02 | More by BeerMeFitz
danedelman

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Drove up there a few weeks ago and feel now that I should have bought more. Don't ask to trade me as nothing will beat this.

A-deep black with a nice 1 finger fluffy tan head.

S-lots of roastiness and almost a subtle coffee/chocolate note. Toasty malt also, very earthy smell goes with it.

T-Very smooth creamy and delicious velvety chocolate and roast come in and smooth right down the throat. I don't give 5's ever but this one is damn perfect.

M-very thick and viscous. very velvety and smooth and creamy. very nice.

07-07-2012 21:19:41 | More by danedelman
DonFrap

4.88/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle of the recent batch into an HF oversized glass.

A: Black, really black. Not much head but retains well.

S: Roasty comes to mind. Smooth coffee smell.

T: A porter can't get better than this. Perfect roasted coffee and malty goodness. I would take this over most stouts any day.

M: Good mouthfeel. Some porters are too thin, Everett does not have that problem.

O: I wanted to make my first review Everett because it is my favorite "shelf" beer. I can't imagine a more perfect representation of the style. If only Shaun would can this ( I know, it'll never happen.) Seek this beer out whenever it is available. It's not as hyped as the Saisons and limited stuff, but its worth it.

08-01-2013 02:53:52 | More by DonFrap
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

500ml bottle split with some local beer geeks 17/7/11

A near black with a little cola at the edge, nice dark tan head falls to a thin film leaving a few specks of lace

S a little smokey with a chocolate blast, very big chocolate nose, smells like something I want to eat

T even better then the smell, somehow there's even more chocolate and a blast of coco powder, with some slight coffee and it reminds me of chocolate covered raisins, pretty rich and I wouldn't change anything

M thick liquid and bubbles cream it up a fair bit, quite rich and there's zero booze detected, what impresses me the most is the length of time the flavors sticks to your mouth, toothpick anyone?

O this is one of the better examples of the style, robust is an understatement, this is a wicked brew without doubt,

this one blew me away, I can't imagine anyone not loving this beer, search for it boys and girls its worth it

07-19-2011 20:39:30 | More by wordemupg
RichD

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured this into a snifter.

A: Pours a crude oil, black color with about a finger or 2 of khaki colored head. Not much lacing left along the glass as I drink away.

S: The smell of coffee and roasted malts overtake my nose. A slight whiff of smoke is also present. Some faints smells of dark fruits come through, though not as prominent as the coffee and roasted malts. Good stuff here.

T: Wow! What an experience this is! The flavors of coffee and roasted malts are incredible. Also there is a good smokiness at the end which is something that I've never tasted in any porter I've ever had. The dark fruits that I mentioned in the smell section come through in a mild way. The taste of this porter is like nothing I've ever tasted and it is definitely the best tasting porter I've ever had. This is truly awesome. There isn't an incredible amount of depth, but honestly it's not really needed with the flavors that this brew exudes.

M: A medium to heavy mouthfeel. This beer is so damn creamy and smooth. A very balanced beer and I've yet to taste any alcohol at all. A slightly dry finish that lingers, but not for too long. A pleasant feel.

Overall: This is by far the best porter I have ever had in my beer drinking life. I am truly unsure if I'll ever have one that can even contend with this. The smell of brewed coffee along with the smokiness that comes through when I drink this just make Everett an absolute treat to taste. I only bought 2 bottles at Hill Farmstead and right now I am kicking myself for not grabbing at least 2 more. What an amazing beer. Awesome job, Shaun Hill and co.!!

07-13-2013 01:56:20 | More by RichD