Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Everett Porter Alström Bros

This bottle was infected. It poured like maple syrup, and was the slimiest, sludgy beer I've ever tasted. Will have to revisit when I get a non-infected bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -30.5%

3.16/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I have never been as big a fan as hill farmstead as others. Granted I have only had about five of there beers. I have never been blown away by any of them. And a couple I have had I think are actually poor beers. The Everett however is a decent porter. There are definitely better porters out there, but this one does the trick. Nothing special at all.

3.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Last reviewed beer from the Blue Dog Wealth of Riches event.

A- A light brown, mocha head sits atop an entirely pitch black brew. No light gets through at all. Good head retention, and lacing trails down the glass as I drink.

S- Burnt crispy malt. Dark and bitter roast coffee.

T- A fairly dry, roasty porter. Definitely taste the coffee, with notes of cocoa as well. Fairly bitter, unsweetened. To me this seems a bit watered down. Definitely takes away from the beer.

M- Smooth medium bodied porter with medium carbonation. Quite drinkable.

O- The keep it simple approach does work for the beer, and it is good. But I don't see this porter as mind blowing as the ratings are. It tasted pretty bland to me. I would have this again and my tastebuds could've been wrecked by this point in the day anyway.

3.4/5  rDev -24.8%

From 750mL growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/10/12
*From notes

-- Thanks & cheers, Eric --

A: A rich, robust chocolate brown. A good pour yields a one finger head. As it fades, decent lacing and a fair collar follow.

S: Quite green, with a good bit of coffee injecting life into the nose.

T: Thin. Watery. Cardboard. These aren't qualities that I look for in a beer, let alone a Porter from Hill Farmstead. This isn't infected or off, it's just not up to snuff with a lot of the better Porters on the market. Extremely underwhelming.

M: It feels alright, I guess. The carbonation isn't where I feel it should be, as it's (yet again) a bit thin and not overly complex or rich in the mouth.

O: How anti-climactic. HF's Everett is one of the biggest letdowns I've come across in some time. The rest of the tasting group bought into the hype with this and rather enjoyed it. But me....nah. It's simply a Porter.

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery