Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Everett Porter Alström Bros
JRod1969

07-06-2012 01:38:24 | More by JRod1969
HopStoopid120

Connecticut

11-15-2011 17:57:14 | More by HopStoopid120
SpdKilz

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Wow, first time reviewing a beer in quite some time. Thanks to bootswithtrees (Nick) for this beer. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into my Darkness tulip with an opaque black color. Held up to the light there is just the faintest light coming through around the edges causing the beer to look dark brown. About a finger of mocha colored head that dissipates slowly leaving decent lacing.

Smell – Heavy roasted malts, bittersweet cocoa, slight coffee, vanilla, and just a hint of anise licorice.

Taste – I will be the first to admit I love a good porter. I will also be the first to state that I have never really gotten into the “hype” with HF. I by no means am saying their beers are bad (I have been able to sample MANY of their beers thanks to numerous generous Chi-town BA’s), just that when I drink them, I rate them as if they didn’t have the hype surrounding them. That said, damn this is a good porter. Begins with bittersweet cocoa mixed with a milky chocolate. A bit more coffee in the flavor than the aroma let on, which is followed by a prominent amount of roasted malts (which I enjoy more than less in my porters). At the tail end you can taste the licorice and a hint of sweet molasses, though it does finish a bit bitter (also what I look for in a good porter).

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, moderate to lower carbonation, very rich and creamy in texture. Finishes nice and dry.

Overall – I am happy this is one of the “easier” to get beers from HF. I will be seeking this out in the future again for sure. An extremely well put together American Porter.

10-27-2012 02:01:33 | More by SpdKilz
ElGallo

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev -4%

500 mL bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead longstem snifter. Purchased at Winooski Beverage Warehouse for $10. Beautiful muddy beige head a good lacing. This brew is straight black with good medium to full body.

Smells of roasted malts, dark chocolate, some earthy hops, port wine, maybe a little raisin or dark fruit too.

Tastes sublime: chocolate notes, subtle roastiness, molasses, coffee, raisins, mildly bitter hops.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth up front, with subtle bitterness in the aftertaste.

Overall one of the best - if not the best - porters I've ever had. This brewery is top notch - very happy I found this bottle (last one in the shop back in September).

11-23-2011 02:36:05 | More by ElGallo

baybum

12-27-2012 16:55:09 | More by baybum
Onenote81

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Awesome hookup from Celtic001 recently! My first from HF. Very excited for this one! Poured into a Highland pint glass.

Pours a deep foreboding black. Heavy and scary looking. A great finger width of luscious mocha-head rests atop. The nose is rich with roasted malt, coffee grounds, dark breads, molasses. Well-rounded aroma invites me to partake.

For the style, the feel holds up wonderfully. Velvety chewy mouth with a moderately-full heft to it. This is not an easy drinker, and that's fine by me. Holds up the decadence of the flavors perfectly. The beer is overflowing with rich, malty goodness. Roasted coffee stands out, followed by a not-unpleasant burst of charred bread. Semi-sweet chocolate, cut oats on the finish. Fantastic Porter. One of the best. I'd love to have this one again.

07-16-2012 12:52:37 | More by Onenote81
dfhhead25

11-29-2013 22:59:24 | More by dfhhead25
n2185

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours black with three fingers of brown head that recedes into a thick, dense cap with a solid sheet of lacing. Beautiful

S: Lots of roasted malts with creamy chocolate and robust coffee aromas. There are some vanilla notes in there as well along with just a hint of tart aromas.

T: Similar to the aroma, roasted malts dominate with creamy chocolate and robust coffee flavors. It's sweet at first but finishes with robust flavors that are only slightly bitter. Again, there are also faint notes of vanilla and tartness.

M: Medium-thick body with fairly lowish carbonation despite the great head retention, this beer is super silky and creamy.

O: Overall, I think I might have a new favorite porter. This beer is beautiful and delicious. My only real complaint is on the nose, which I wish were a bit more pronounced. Beyond that, it is great and I'd love to have regular access to this beer.

10-19-2011 05:13:30 | More by n2185
AleWatcher

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle from Baconsausage poured into my Portsmouth tulip.

A very dark red, looks black until backlit. Huuuge gorgeous rocky tan head with intense and thick lacing. Amazing retention.
This is THE BEST looking porter I've come across.

Smells very move as well... Notes of caramel, toffee, coffee and bitter chocolate. The taste is also quite good-- some sweetness with lots of dark chocolate and coffee notes.

Awesome milk-shake thickness feel on the body. Creamy and chewy.

Overall, this is one of the best porters I've come across. For a style I don't like, this beer stands out as a delicious beverage I would be happy to drink again.

08-17-2011 01:38:00 | More by AleWatcher
mklisz

New Hampshire

04-01-2013 18:46:10 | More by mklisz
jaasen64

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

500ml bottle poured into Hunahpu snifter

A- Pours an opaque dark black with about a quarter finger of creamy espresso colored head. About average carbonation for a porter.

S- Strong smell of espresso, roasted malts, and chocolate.

T- Sweet flavors of chocolate, espresso, and cream. Leaves a nice sweet creamy light chocolate aftertaste.

M- Very smooth and creamy, extremely drinkable, just the right amount of carbonation for a porter, no alcoholic burn.

O- This was a damn good porter. Hill Farmstead still fails to dissapoint, so far their beers have all been fantastic. I could easily drink this beer all the time. Easily one of the best porters I've had, right up there with Founders- hard to pick one, Everett might have been slightly better in my opinion. Definitely pick some up if you're ever in Vermont.

06-02-2012 00:35:52 | More by jaasen64

05-26-2013 06:13:02 | More by ajzy
SpeedwayJim

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

500ml bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Shared with schen9303

Appearance is absolute perfection. 1.5 finger dark mocha head with great retention. Oily legs and thick patchy lace that really sticks around. Beer is pitch black with a nice density.

Very aromatic. Notes of coffee beans, chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa, liquorice, and vanilla. A very subtle hop presence floats in the background too. Super appetizing.

Opens chocolate, cocoa, and light iced coffee. Some roasted malt peaks towards the middle but not enough to overpower the sweetness, only serving to balance it out. Very small notes of dark fruit at the end with more cocoa powder and chocolate. Molasses sweetness right at the end with a fudgy and roasted malt aftertaste. Doesn't get better than this.

Medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Smooth and rich in the mouth and goes down smooth and slick. Spot on. Finish is slightly messy and filmy with a lingering aftertaste. Leaves me craving more.

I've never given out all 5's but this is as close as it gets to perfection for me. For a brewery known for its pale ales and saisons to put out a porter of this caliber... Shaun Hill is a master and Hill Farmstead may just be the best all-around brewery on the planet.

09-26-2012 01:23:20 | More by SpeedwayJim

01-17-2014 15:24:50 | More by tbone1384
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml growler generously opened up by Dustin at our crazy bottleshare last night, 10/5/2013. Poured into a Zwanze 2013 glass. Also just recently opened a 750ml growler yesterday, 10/22/2013, split with Doug.

Looks like a pretty straightforward porter. Sexy, viscous, dark body with a fair 1cm white head that dissipates slowly. I can tell this is a well-carbonated beer. A bit of lacing throughout which sticks around. Outstanding, looks great. Pretty much like Black Butte or Edmund Fitzgerald.

Smells intensely roasty. I love the nose on this beer. Its very rich, roasty and quite hoppy. There's a nice bit of espresso bitterness in there mixed in with some dark chocolates. It's very strong, somewhat complex and balanced.

Oh hell yes. This is the most intense, complex yet balanced porter I've ever had. It has a ton of sweet milk chocolate, espresso bitterness, roast barley malts. There is even a dash of vanilla here. Pretty much everything I could ever want in a porter. All of these flavours meld together so well despite all being so intense, which is the real key to this beer. Ridiculously awesome.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Lots of porters are fairly thin-medium bodied, but this is solidly medium-full bodied. It is substantial and has that creamy, full Hill Farmstead mouthfeel. I'm not surprised that this is 7.5% ABV given how much flavour and body is in this beer, but I don't get any burn on this beer. While it is full bodied and hefty, it remains just right in terms of carbonation and roasty finish.

Best American porter I've ever had. It's the best in the style, no question which is why I give it a 5 overall. Hill Farmstead seems to really define the best of the styles I've had so far, especially pale ales and porters. I'm looking forward to trying some of their saisons and stouts, if I ever get my hands on some!

10-07-2013 03:36:30 | More by Stevedore