Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Everett Porter Alström Bros

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For a porter this is a nice looking beer. Hazelnut head that produces some sheeting and a thin coating of foam that hangs around for a little while. The aroma reminds me of coffee grounds, dark chocolate and cacao nibs. Maybe some chicory too. Overall the aroma is clean for a porter, no real hop or yeast quality. Dark chocolate, cacao, chalky. Coffee is certainly big. I look for but can not find vanilla. There is a dry bitterness associated with roast. The body is full without being sweet.

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.52/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Funkyaudio for this one.

Pours straight black with half of finger of khaki head that recedes to some splotchy lacing in the glass.

The aroma is powerful and complex lots of chocolate up front with some roasted coffee in the background. Very "clean" aroma, everything fits together and nothing clashes.

The taste is more of the same. In the wine world I would say this beer has good concentration. It is full of flavor but does not taste harsh or cloying. Just enough bitterness to cleanse my palate and keep me wanting more.

The mouthfeel is phenomenal, smooth, just a touch creamy, very drinkable, glad to take down the whole 500ml by myself.

Overall I tried to keep my expectations in check and started with a very critical eye but this beer delivers, this is definitely becoming a perma-want.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thank you to both Hoppypockett and Jayhoop for each getting me a bottle of this. My first HF!

Appearance. Pours pretty darn black with half a finger of light brown head.

Smell. Dark chocolate and dark roasted malts. There's some dark coffee a little dark fruit and some sweet black licorice. Smells really good.

Taste. Nice dark chocolate, a little dark fruit in the middle and some nice fresh dark coffee in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body with medium-low, very smooth carbonation.

Overall. A very nice porter, probably the best I've tried of the style so far.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Wow, first time reviewing a beer in quite some time. Thanks to bootswithtrees (Nick) for this beer. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into my Darkness tulip with an opaque black color. Held up to the light there is just the faintest light coming through around the edges causing the beer to look dark brown. About a finger of mocha colored head that dissipates slowly leaving decent lacing.

Smell – Heavy roasted malts, bittersweet cocoa, slight coffee, vanilla, and just a hint of anise licorice.

Taste – I will be the first to admit I love a good porter. I will also be the first to state that I have never really gotten into the “hype” with HF. I by no means am saying their beers are bad (I have been able to sample MANY of their beers thanks to numerous generous Chi-town BA’s), just that when I drink them, I rate them as if they didn’t have the hype surrounding them. That said, damn this is a good porter. Begins with bittersweet cocoa mixed with a milky chocolate. A bit more coffee in the flavor than the aroma let on, which is followed by a prominent amount of roasted malts (which I enjoy more than less in my porters). At the tail end you can taste the licorice and a hint of sweet molasses, though it does finish a bit bitter (also what I look for in a good porter).

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, moderate to lower carbonation, very rich and creamy in texture. Finishes nice and dry.

Overall – I am happy this is one of the “easier” to get beers from HF. I will be seeking this out in the future again for sure. An extremely well put together American Porter.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

4.56/5  rDev +0.9%

500ml bottle into a tulip.

A - Pour is an dark coffee-brown, with a fluffy mocha-colored head that doesn't want to quit. Superior retention and awesome lacing that leaves spiderwebs all the way down the glass.

S - Cocoa, molasses, a bit of tobacco, and roast. Some hint of alcohol lurking in the background.

T - Milk chocolate and a bit of coffee upfront. Plenty of roast, some light hoppiness, and vanilla in the finish. Absolutely fantastic.

M - Full bodied, with light carbonation. Slightly drying in the finish. Could maybe benefit from the prickliness that comes from somewhat more aggressive bubbles.

O - There's some minor room for improvement, but this is still pretty easily the best straight-up porter that I've had to date. Shaun Hill is a damned wizard.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a dfh snifter

A: pours black with a finger of mocha head that slowly recedes to about a 1/4 film that sticks around for the rest I the glass, beautiful lacing, great lookin beer.

S: milk chocolate with a light roastyness, some caramel sweetness, and a light hint of hops. There is also a light touch of smoke.

T: milk chocolate with a touch of roast and smoke, givin the brew some nice coffee like notes, there is a bit of sweetness in the middle, with notes of caramel and toffee, and then the hops come in lightly on tennis palate to the finish adding a light citrusy note, tasty and well balanced.

M: I love the mouthfeel here, it really makes the brew or me, thick, decadent and creamy, drinks with a beautiful velvetyness crisp carbonation on the high end of medium keeps the mouthfeel going, and a nice you h of dryness on the finish from the hops , leavs the mouth coated in deliciousness.

O: a good porter, I personally would have enjoyed a bit more roast and a bit less sweetness, but that is splitting hair w/ a brew this tasty, another great one From hill farmstead, I would recommend grabbing any offering you could find from these guys.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

I've been reading a lot about Hill Farmstead, and this beer lived up to the hype. A beautiful opaque pour, with an amazing coffee colored head. This beer is big, with wonderful overtones of coffee, dark chocolate, and fresh baked bread. As I drank it and it warmed up a little, I got some subtle smokiness. This beer screams "WELL MADE WITH INCREDIBLY HIGH QUALITY INGREDIENTS." I cannot wait to go on a roadtrip to Vermont to try every beer they have available.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

A: poured a very dark brown in color almost black with brown highlights and a nice half finger of head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: great porter features in the aroma such as chocolate roasted malts, some sweetness coming from the toffee, hints of caramel, I suspect a little oat grains, slight coffee, and hints of brown sugar.

T: the chocolate character was just as apparent on the palate alongside toffee caramel sweetness, hints of nuttiness, oat grains coming through with vanilla accents and a touch of molasses.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, roasty, rich chocolatey, and silky finish.

O: damn solid all around, great example of a porter. HF doesn't disappoint.

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery