Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
Reviews: 303 | Hads: 2,012
4.62/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours opaquem very dark brown. Dark tan head that settles to a ring.

Aroma is rich chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark burt caramels, light fruitiness, subtle "C" hops. Very nice, I can honestly call it decadent.

Flavor follows the nose, very chocolatey, nice balance of roast, hints of dark fruits (figs). Midway through/towards the finish there is some alcohol, light roast, more chocolate (dark) and hints of hop bitterness. The finish is smooth and enjoyable with dark caramels and chocolate lingering.

Mouthfeel is medium/full bodied with medium/low carbonation. Smooth, slightly creamy.

Overall this is a very good porter, I would love to have this again. (668 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -2.2%

Another bottle direct from the friendly home of RSchaeffer. My first non farmhouse, non hop focused beer from Hill Farmstead.

The simple labels are beginning to mean so much to me.

Everett opens with a nice hiss and pours a steady head of tight bubbles. The carbonation is firm but not overly thick as it lasts and sticks quite nicely to the sides of the glass. Big aroma of dark coffee, some char, smoke and a bit of chalk that reminds me of limestone. Some bitterness from the hops is also present.

The first sip brings the same smokey and toasty flavors to light that were felt on the nose. Coffee, bitter chocolate, hops and a delicious bitterness holds throughout the semi-sweet body of the beer. Long on the tongue with favorable complexity that is easily enjoyed. This is a remarkable porter as it has more of the drying toasted grain flavors and bitter hopping but it all works upon the faint mineral notes. Very drinkable as the body doesn't weight down the palate with heft.

One of the better porters I have had recently, truth be told, I'm a fan of bitter dark beers so I can see some not agreeing who like the sweeter more caramelized styles. Russian River's Porter is still perhaps the beer that I find to be my favorite representation of the style but Everett will be one I hope to drink many more times in the future. Truly delicious. (1,355 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to texasclimber for sharing this one.

Appearance: Black with reddish hues when held to the light, topped off with a thin mocha colored head that fades into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Roasted grain, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Light chocolate flavor mixed with roasted grain, coffee, and even molasses. On the sweeter side of porters.

Mouthfeel: This is really, for me, the only reason it is not easily in the top 3 porters for me. It was a little thin then what I prefer, medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A great porter and on of the best I've had, I look forward to trying more of Hill Farmstead beers in the future. (662 characters)

P: 4/5. opaque black. a reasonable deep tan head, receding after some time, no lacing.

A: 4/5. deep, sweet roasty caramel malty

F: 9/10. nice roasty sweetness. some astringency, bur not really strong. wonderful smoothness for a robust porter.

M: 2/5

O: 8/10 (263 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.7%

Served from a 500ml bottle in a Hill Farmstead Tulip

Pours all black with a cm of tan head which dissipates to a thin ring, some lacing on the glass.

There is a very delicious smell with this beer, one of the best noses I have experienced. Notes of cocoa, roasted malts, coffee, cocoa, and some burnt/smoke.

The taste follows the nose closely, though the nose is stronger in my opinion. Flavors include smoke/charcoal, cocoa, chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. I even think there was a little bit of pepper and hickory in the mix.

This beer has an incredibly thick and creamy texture, silky smooth, incredible.

Overall this is a very good beer. I was lucky enough to get a few Hill Farmstead brews on a recent trip and so far they have stood up to their reputation. I will be making excuses to return in the near future. (828 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Served on-tap at the Blackback in Waterbury.

Appearance is near black with a finger of light brown head. The smell contains coffee, cocoa and some light roasted malts. While its` taste has more of those roasted malts, some flora hops, coffee again, bread and a little vanilla. MF is med-full with a dry finish to it. This is a very nice porter and worth seeking out. (367 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%

500mL brown glass pry-top bottle purchased at Winooski Beverage Warehouse. No date, but recently released.

Pours a thick black with rich, creamy light tan head. Nose is mellow and lovely with notes of cocoa powder and earth. Palate is rich and wide, rather viscous and with creamy carbonation. Flavors of black strap molasses, cocoa nibs, mocha, tree bark and cappuccino, froth and all. Long, lush finish.

Wonderful. (418 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at the blackback tavern.

Dark pour, dark brown head with good lacing. Looks great right off the bat.

Smells like roasty malty goodness.... robust is definitely the right description for this porter. Very pleasing to the nose.

Tastes magical. Roasted Malts permeate the palate while keeping a balanced and not overpowering flavor, if that makes sense. Well balanced chocolate malt is all I can describe it as.

Mouthfeel is good, well carbonated porter. Acidic and bitter zing.

This may be the best porter that I've ever had. In fact, I think it is. I don't really even like porters aside Baltic ones and this has completely made my taste for the genre flipturn upside down. Fresh prince style.

If you ever get the chance to try this, do so. (753 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at Blackback Pub & Flyshop about a month ago. Reviewing from notes.

A: Great looking beer, mostly black with hints of red and a substantial tan head. Very nice lacing.

S: A nice mix of sweet chocolate and roast malts.

T: Wow, I'm speechless. This might be the best tasting porter I've ever had. Incredible balance here, it's sweet, but has an awesome roasty backbone and has hints of dark fruit hiding in there.

M: Very carbonated, but also quite nicely medium-thick bodied. Perfect for the style.

O: Until I had this beer, I pretty much had sworn off American Porter as a style, but no more. Of course Hill Farmstead is the brewery that revived this style for me, and now I can't wait to have more. Thank you for ruining porters at the same time, because I know no other porters will be as great as this one. (823 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7%

On tap at HF a while back.

Oh dear. This is the best American porter I've had in recent memory. Pours a near black with a large mocha head with impressive lacing and retention. Aroma is complex and subtle, a blend of chocolate, roast malt, coffee, dark fruit, mild bitterness, and smoke. Flavor is similar, with roast and smoke providing a strong backbone for the sweet chocolate and dark fruit. Medium thick, with soft full bodied and soft carbonation. Edmund used to be my favorite American Porter. Now Everrett is. (518 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

thick black as night opaque oil color with a nice two inch head that ever so slowly faded and stayed at about a half inch until the bottom. Very nice thick lace down the sides, gooey and creamy, very nice look to it. Smell took a while to warm up, at first was strong alcohol and caramel sweetness. As it warmed some more subtle smells started to come through, hints at chocolate and coffee started to overtake, and the alcohol quickly faded, leaving a very nice overall aroma. The taste followed the smell with the caramel hitting first. Nice flavors of coffee followed, maybe even a hazelnut hint in there, well rounded. (622 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on tap several times in VT over the past few years.

Appearance: Super dark chestnut / mahogany to opaque black. The crown is 3 fingers, brown, shows loads of retention and good lace.

Smell: Medium roast malt, some dark chocolate, a dash of caramel, and a light charred backbone.

Taste: Same as nose. So well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and a thick side of medium body.

Drinkability: Super drinkable thanks to nicely balanced flavors. I dig it more than the BA version myself. (507 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +0.4%

Bottle from Baconsausage poured into my Portsmouth tulip.

A very dark red, looks black until backlit. Huuuge gorgeous rocky tan head with intense and thick lacing. Amazing retention.
This is THE BEST looking porter I've come across.

Smells very move as well... Notes of caramel, toffee, coffee and bitter chocolate. The taste is also quite good-- some sweetness with lots of dark chocolate and coffee notes.

Awesome milk-shake thickness feel on the body. Creamy and chewy.

Overall, this is one of the best porters I've come across. For a style I don't like, this beer stands out as a delicious beverage I would be happy to drink again. (644 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%

Drank from a 750 ml swing top growler purchased at the Hill Farmstead Brewery, Greensboro, VT
Served in a Hill Farmstead Brewery stemmed glass

Near obsidian in appearance with dark mahogany edges. A bubbly, one-finger head of mocha-colored froth topped the liquid. The head faded to a thick lasting ring. Spotty drops of lacing stuck along the glass.

The nose was flawless. Totally spot-on for the style. Rich roasted malts came through strong. Lots of semi-sweet chocolate and a decent amount of smoke. Some brown sugar as well. There was a nice balance between the sweetness and the dryness. The chocolate notes came out more as the beer warmed, and they turned sweeter and more cocoa powder-like. A good dosage of vanilla was noticeable as well.

The flavor profile was quite similar to the nose. Robust and moderately roasty up front. Bakers chocolate and French press coffee notes appeared in the center. Some cola as well. Charred malts came through on the finish. A touch ashy and quite dry. A bit of warmth from the alcohol was noticeable in the back of my throat. Crisp, piney hops lingered into the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was respectable. Medium bodied for the style with a fine, moderate effervescence. Slick and smooth.

I was aware that Shaun is a master of brewing hoppy beers but I did not realize he could also do other styles so well. This is truly a fantastic rendition of an American porter. (1,416 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Draft at Blackback Pub

A - black with a monnster light mocha head.

S - in your face with the chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Not super complex but it packs a lot in the nose

T - super sweet with a nice roastiness to balance the sweetness. Thus is my style of beer.

M - not sure what to think here. Feels like I'm drinking carbonated chocolate milk, but for the beer it just works. Don't think I've ever had this much body in a beer without oats and higher Abv.

O - one of the best porters I've had. So much aroma and flavor in this beer without a killer alcohol level. This is definitely a beer I'd love to have again. (622 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%

500ml bottle split with some local beer geeks 17/7/11

A near black with a little cola at the edge, nice dark tan head falls to a thin film leaving a few specks of lace

S a little smokey with a chocolate blast, very big chocolate nose, smells like something I want to eat

T even better then the smell, somehow there's even more chocolate and a blast of coco powder, with some slight coffee and it reminds me of chocolate covered raisins, pretty rich and I wouldn't change anything

M thick liquid and bubbles cream it up a fair bit, quite rich and there's zero booze detected, what impresses me the most is the length of time the flavors sticks to your mouth, toothpick anyone?

O this is one of the better examples of the style, robust is an understatement, this is a wicked brew without doubt,

this one blew me away, I can't imagine anyone not loving this beer, search for it boys and girls its worth it (910 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -5.2%

Into a snifter glass it generates a frothy head of tan foam, with a creamy texture to the surface. Jet black with mahoghany edges. As time passes, the foam becomes slightly sticky in the glass, around the edges.

Pure liquid chocolate, mellow char, dark chocolate aroma.

Deep roast, mocha and espresso notes, dark chocolate composing the core flavors of this porter. Creamy with a dry aftertaste. Mellow and moderately bitter towards the end. Relatively dry, mellow feel. Pleasantly rich dark chocolate flavors, tasty stuff, but not all that different from local favorites. Thank you Dave for sharing! (602 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

Grabbed a growler at the Hill Farmstead Brewery retail store on my way to the Vermont Brewers Festival.

Pours motor oil black into my tulip glass, no light penetrates. Small tan infused head settles quickly, but leaves speckles as you go. Nose is roasty and sweet smelling. Dark chocolate and oak. Sweet malt up front with bitter chocolate. Molasses & coffee linger on the palate. Dark dried fruit. Vanilla and bourbon notes. Subtly smoky, with a super dry finish. A crisp carbonation stings your mouth, and the medium creamy body makes this super drinkable. As it warms some cherry cola and tobacco flavors come out. Agitating leaves a beautiful faint wispy head swirl. Rich but not over indulgent. Gets better and better as it warms.

Absolutely Delicious. (759 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark brown root beer color with but sits opaque black in my glass. Thin beige Georgia clay colored head is quick to collar but leaves consistent tiny speckles of retention.

Aroma is dominated by deep and immersive wood char with cola caramel and licorice. Taste is more wood char, ash, mocha, and the black cookie part of an Oreo cookie. Light and delicate yet robust and flavorful. Beautifully roasty. (411 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Black Back (thanks to a below review for a name I had forgotten) in Waterbury over July 4th weekend. Review from notes scrawled on my phone while politely listening to an old local guy talk about his old beat-up girlfriend in demeaning fashion and politely smiling while she encouraged it by talking about how she danced on top of the bar last time she was there. It's a tiny bar. And the guy asked me if I wanted to fight him when he saw me typing on my phone. Awkward.

In fact, remembering that experience, I have to say that it was both one of the weirdest and best bar experiences I've had. Cool bartender, great taps, low key vibe, and two extremely strange locals that will never read this review.

And since it IS a review... Everett Robust Porter from Hill Farmstead is a high example of the style that everyone should try. The deep brown pour reveals a big tan head that leaves only a little lacing after it dissipates, but still produces a brilliant smell. Roasted but not burnt coffee, chocolate, and a distinct nuttiness as well come into my nose.

The guy beside me gives me a funny look "Wanna take my girlfriend home with you? Wanna trade girlfriends?"... I eye my girlfriend protectively and sip. Pow - bitter coffee, sweet roasty coffee, grains, touch of nuts, everything a porter should be come through in the first sip all the way to the last. No hint of alcohol, only a trace of hops, but still Everett has a totally clean finish. "No thanks."

"What? She's not hot?"

Awkward laugh. "She seems totally suited to you, my man."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing man, it's all good. Cheers!" I lift Everett up, ching ching glasses, and finish the thick bodied porter with a smile. (1,719 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at the Black Back in Waterbury VT.
Pours a dark brown bordering on black with a tight tan head that sticks around for a while. Smells of roasted grains, coffee and chocolate, licorice and a hint of alcohol. Taste is smooth dark chocolate mixed with coffee and anise with hints of alcohol molasses and dark dried fruits. Velvety smooth creamy mouthfeel, moderate level of carbonation, medium to thick body. This is a fantastic porter! I just wish it were a little easier to come by. (488 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml growler (from the source) opened 10 days after filling. Poured into a Hill Farmstead glass.

A: A hard pour down the middle leads to a little of a finger of dark mocha brown head with a lot of bubbly action (looks a lot like the surface of a macchiato. Pitch black. Leaves a little lacing.

S: Very heavy roasted grains with a little char, dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, dark caramel (nearly burnt), a little wood (don't think it's actually aged in/on wood though). Dark, strong, and a little sweet.

T: Follows the nose quite well with the most striking difference is that it isn't nearly as sweet as it smells. Extremely balanced, heavy roasted malt with a ton of grain, dark chocolate, and Earthy, medium roasted coffee, with just a little dark caramel sweetness. There isn't really any variation or progression of flavors, it's all completely incorporated and stays the same from start through the middle. The finish does become bitter and dry with a dry oak quality (dry bitter char wood finish). Very creamy and smooth. Alcohol is barely detectable, a feat for an 8% beer.

M: Close to a full body with oderate to slightly high carbonation with very fine bubbles. Very smooth and creamy, it's like velvet even with the dry and bitter finish.

O: A fantastic Robust Porter, about as close to the ideal as it gets. Big, roasty with lots of depth and complexity, smooth, creamy, drinkable, and above all else, enjoyable. (1,439 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml growler shared by Sean. Served in a Jester King tulip.

A - Voluminous tan foam settles to a thin cap, leaving behind splotchy lace. Black body that is surprisingly dark for a porter, with only the faintest glint of brown near the edges.

S - Earthy grains, roasted barley, light molasses and brown sugar, and notes of coffee and chocolate as it warms up.

T - Taste is nearly identical to the aroma. It's roasty, but with a sufficient amount of balancing sweetness to get things from getting to bitter. Just a delightful and balanced robust porter.

M - Creamy, medium-full body, with pleasant moderate carbonation, some slight roasty dryness, and no obvious alcohol.

D - It's a reference quality robust porter. The only thing that would prevent me from consuming mass quantities is the mounting roast bitterness in the finish. Otherwise, a superb brew that I think surpasses the barrel-aged version. Who the heck said this was too thin?! (946 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to Sean for this fresh growler. Nice dark/black with minimal carbonation with minimal head and nice lacing. The smell is roasty, chocolate, light buttery, syrupy light molasses or maple not sure which. The taste is thick, rich, oaky, leathery, and smoky. Great porter. Great mouthfeel and carbonation. This and Captain Lawrence porters are top of this class. I've had this in bottle and growler a few times and it never fails to impress. If you like porters, this is a must have and even better readily available. (520 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased @ Hill Farmstead Brewery, Greensboro Bend, Vermont

Price - $15.00/ growler

Appearance is pitch black with a beautiful two inch creamy brown foam head, wow. After several minutes the head settles down to a thin layer covering the liquid goodness. Big time thick lacing decorates the drinking vessel to show itself off as an exceptional example of the style. A quick swirl of the glass and a blanket of creamy brown foam reappears.

The aroma is a right hook to the jaw with dark chocolate followed by coffee, roasted malt, nuts and caramel.

The flavor is right up my alley with a strong taste of chocolate, mocha, licorice, vanilla and a smoke finish that's near perfect.

Starts off creamy soft and silky smooth with a full body, I really dig this beer. At room temperature the mouthfeel is near perfect. Hoppy and bitter in the middle followed by a semi dry sticky finish. Outstanding balance between the malts and hops.

Damn, I can't get enough of Shaun's beers and this is another favorite of mine. Added to the website as another stellar example of the style. (1,079 characters)

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery