2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Everett Porter Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,289 | Reviews: 262 | Show All Ratings:
Hab11

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz. Bomber. American Porter. 7.5 ABV. Jet Black with a hazelnut cream head. Solid malt nose with heavy dark chocolate and medium roasted coffee smell with a sugary sweet end. Almost a sugar in the raw smell. Taste is magnificent. All of the smells are present in the flavor. Light to no carbonation. Rich smooth feel with an even smoother finish. Aftertaste is an exquisite mocha coffee like blend. This beer smacks me in the face with how good it is. My brother in law ThreeLions introduced me to this. It is certainly my favorite beer in this style and might be my favorite beer that I have ever tried.

01-25-2014 02:12:06 | More by Hab11
PHBoiler

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

The depth of flavor that this beer offers without using additives is world class. It is truly a world class porter. The mouthfeel and body of this beer distinguishes itself as a true porter with the proper viscosity. So much roast that you get all the coffee you want without the bitterness or burnt taste. There is some chocolate/sweetness that balances the whole beer out as well. Truly a delight and the best porter I've had.

07-01-2013 04:08:18 | More by PHBoiler
pawpaw

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection.

09-24-2013 15:02:26 | More by pawpaw
chalsk

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Torst. My maiden beer there. Pours a dark brown cloudy color with a caramel colored head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, caramel, alcohol and slight slight spice. Sweet creamy chocolate taste with coffee notes and slight spice pinch. Perhaps a slight vanilla to add silkiness. Love it. Best porter I have had. It gets as close to a stout as a porter will get without crossing the line.

04-07-2013 02:02:15 | More by chalsk
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +10%

thick black as night opaque oil color with a nice two inch head that ever so slowly faded and stayed at about a half inch until the bottom. Very nice thick lace down the sides, gooey and creamy, very nice look to it. Smell took a while to warm up, at first was strong alcohol and caramel sweetness. As it warmed some more subtle smells started to come through, hints at chocolate and coffee started to overtake, and the alcohol quickly faded, leaving a very nice overall aroma. The taste followed the smell with the caramel hitting first. Nice flavors of coffee followed, maybe even a hazelnut hint in there, well rounded.

08-20-2011 01:56:52 | More by mikesgroove
smakawhat

Maryland

4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A wonderful creamy mocha cocoa brown and light chocolate head, forms really nicely, settling down to a nice three finger controlled head, some swiss cheese character, but mostly even on bubble size. Lots of valleys and retention in the head. Body is a nice dark dark walnut brown getting near black, almost red hue, slight red hues even for the entire body, a little bit of flake of yeast at the bottom not a lot, and some rising carbonation but you really have to look. Really sexy looking beer.

A great nose on this brew just flat out wonderful. Coffee, warm chocolate, wonderful milk cream, and roasting malts. Great chocolate sense, rich creamy dark chocolate, milky sensations with cream egging on the coffee angle and nice small sweetness. Just flat out wonderful and great.

Taste is just unreal. One of the most perfectly balanced beers for its style it seems, knocking out flavors that some Russian Imperials could only dream of. Fantastic chocolate sensations, and dry malts, with tobacco mixing finishes. Thick body rich without syrup and a light porter body. Creamy unbelievable mouthfeel with still a light body, in just a hint .. a hint of playful carbonation. I don't know how they got that. Coffee and chocolate is just EVERYWHERE on the palate. Even a small lingering hop so faint.

This brew is literally the definition of every taste and beer component done to perfection, and balanced so nicely. This is hands down the best porter I have ever had to date. I haven't had every Porter imaginable, but this is a practicaly working definition of the "perfect" beer.

06-08-2012 02:35:49 | More by smakawhat
ppoitras

4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

500ml bottle purchased at the brewery.

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/4" dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades ever-so sedately, with leggy, slow-falling lace. Aroma is the definition of robust. Hearty dark malts and sweet chocolate.

Taste starts with thick chocolate, creamy chocolate milk in the middle, balances out with some bitterness and coasts through the close. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth, and drinkability is superb.

I told myself I wouldn't be misled by the label or the brewery, but I swear, the contents support the accolades. One of the definitive standards of the style out there right now. Don't let the dirt roads deter you.

08-21-2012 01:31:09 | More by ppoitras
RummyRedbeard

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

(copied from blog - written March 9, 2013)

Appearance – On the lighter side of black. Creamy brown head. Slight lacing.
Smell – Chocolate and roasted barley. Some vanilla.
Taste – Very bold, burnt/roasted backbone. Chocolate is prominent. Slight boozy taste.

Holy shit, man! Perhaps it’s the anticipation of having 64 ounces of this godly liquid in my fridge for a few days untouched… or perhaps it’s because the first glass I had was after drinking four crappy Lionsheads… or maybe it’s because it is ABSOLUTELY delicious, but this beer woke me up from the tired stupor I was in on this boring Saturday night. I had barely gotten done taking the picture of it in the glass before it was going down the hatch. It is known that I love imperial porters but this takes that love to a different place. A honeymoon in Hawaii perhaps… OK I’ll leave the weird, romantic shit at the door…

In all seriousness, Earl’s bigger and more badass brother Everett has a huge roasted barley taste which is the highlight of this beer, it REALLY catches your attention, and if you like that sort of flavor you will be blown away. The chocolate along with the smooth mouthfeel assist in the drinkability which is unusually high considering the strong flavor.

One more time, thanks to Brian for making this consumption possible! Cheers!

05-24-2013 22:57:56 | More by RummyRedbeard
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Poured a deep brown with spot on carbonation leaving a dirty tan cap. Looked very sexy,

S: Big roasted malt, milk chocolate, hint at espresso and nuts

T: Starts out with a big and rich roasty smoothness, milk chocolate backed up with a hint at bitter cocoa and very small, quick dash of Earthy hops, light booze and dark fruit;has a nice robust finishing taste but smooth bitterness from chocolate and roasted malts.

M: Body is medium to big, well carbonated, smooth, light booze is warming and thie flavor is persistently great on the palate.

O: Of all the porters I have had this one takes the cake. If I imagine the perfect porter this would be it and if all porters were this well crafted, tasty and drinkable, porters would be among my favorite style.

09-25-2011 14:15:25 | More by barleywinefiend
themind

One of the best beers I have ever had! Chocolate roasty aroma with an incredible nutty, chocolate taste. Really!!! I could drink this every day it's that good. Pours almost no head yet has a fantastic mouthfeel with crisp slight carbonation. This is the very definition of a World Class Beer! Seek this out, sell your home do what you need to do to try this beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary beer!

05-28-2013 00:12:21 | More by themind
KingdomBobcat

Vermont

A-poured into Hill Farmstead glass, very rich dark brown with a small mocha head. Looks like you're about to drink a brownie.
S-very chocolate, dark malt, coffee
T-just like it smells, very chocolatey coffee, sweet aftertaste, nothing really smokey. Phenomenal
M-almost creamy, sweet aftertaste, very rich.
O-Probably my favorite porter I've had. This alone is always worth the trip to HFB

06-26-2013 13:01:21 | More by KingdomBobcat
alaimoa

Connecticut

Again another perfect 5 from Hill Farmstead
Big boy growler brought to CT by TauroE
Pours a fully opaque jet black with a 1 inch head and phenomenal lace
Taste has a medium density with chocolate, coffee shining through and vanilla in the background
Mouthfeel smooth and creamy