1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Everett Porter - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett PorterEverett Porter

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-15-2010)
Ratings: 1,271 | Reviews: 261 | Show All Ratings:
ThreeLions

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Robust American Porter
500ml bottle split with Hab11
7.5% abv

Appearance: Oh my god. Jet Black. Little to no head at all. Held up to the light and it was like a total eclipse.
Not a glimmer of light made its way through this beer. Little, almost no lacing.

Aroma: Dark chocolate. Bitter chocolate. Dark roasted malts. No hop aroma. Cacao, cocoa nibs,
all the best things dark. Faint chocolate syrup at the tail end. Really have to reach for the
sweetness but it’s there. Hershey’s syrup? Can’t wait to try it.

Taste: So tasty. Light bitterness that I’m hoping doesn’t overshadow the perfect chocolate. Hershey’s syrup with bitter chocolate on the finish. Can’t stop drinking this. The bigger the sips, the more the sweetness comes through. Small sips and the bitterness shines through. What’s your cup of tea? Go for it!

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth mouthfeel. No carbonation but such a silky smoothness that it doesn’t matter. Would have been ruined by too much carbonation. This beer slides right down the pipe. Not overpowering but not so light that you don’t think you’re drinking a real beer.

Overall this is exceptional. Is there a better beer out there in this style? Yes there is because I’ve had several other Hill Farmstead and Cigar City but my word this is good. There isn’t a bad thing that I can say about it. Drool. I wish I could get this year round. What a perfect beer. Thanks Shaun!

02-08-2014 22:55:59 | More by ThreeLions
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Props to strohsbeforehoes for this fine trade

A- Dark brown with a mocha color head of about 1 finger. Silky lacing

S- Intense chocolate, vanilla, caramel, earthy hops

T- Follows nose well, but even more of a sweet milk chocolate punch. Toffee, sweet lactose, and subtle hints of coffee. Are you kidding me with this roasted perfection and balance?Layers come at you in waves that takes this malty goodness into another level of complexity. Snappy bitter finish immediately turns smooth.

M- It doesn't get much better than this. Full body, creamy, and viscous. Has the feel of a much stronger stout.

O- Outstanding. Best porter I have had to date. You could easily pair this with a desert dish, but this is one bad ass beer that should probably be enjoyed by itself.

Not 100% sure, but I believe it retails for about $8 for 22oz bomber.

01-25-2014 03:10:12 | More by Bosoxfan20
Hab11

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz. Bomber. American Porter. 7.5 ABV. Jet Black with a hazelnut cream head. Solid malt nose with heavy dark chocolate and medium roasted coffee smell with a sugary sweet end. Almost a sugar in the raw smell. Taste is magnificent. All of the smells are present in the flavor. Light to no carbonation. Rich smooth feel with an even smoother finish. Aftertaste is an exquisite mocha coffee like blend. This beer smacks me in the face with how good it is. My brother in law ThreeLions introduced me to this. It is certainly my favorite beer in this style and might be my favorite beer that I have ever tried.

01-25-2014 02:12:06 | More by Hab11
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 16oz bottle into a Smutty pint glass. Served about cellar temps. 10-2013 batch.

Appearance- Black as night with real quick half finger mocha head that left some lacing. Real dark beer here.

Smell- Very roasty. Coffee, chocolate, touch of hops, roasted malts. Pretty standard porter aromas.

Taste- Oh boy. Chocolate, coffee, licorice, cinnamon, dark stone fruits, vanilla. One of the most flavorfull porters I've ever had. Reminds me of an unsmoked Fear and Trembling. So good.

Mouthfeel- So smooth. Rich and creamy mouthfeel with medium-light carbonation. Super light hint of booze. Easy drinking.

Overall- Sitting here on a very cold snowy day, this is exactly the beer I was looking for. This will keep you warm in the darkest nights. Quite incredible and hands down the best porter I've ever had.

01-21-2014 20:56:52 | More by Seanniek91
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Another awesome beer from Rutager this past summer. Wonderful box man. Cheers!

From a 50cl bottle into a snifter
21 Plato

APPEARANCE: Pours out black, slightly clear, yielding a 1+ finger, medium looking, light tan head with good retention. Black body with higher levels of carbonation. Head slowly fades to a thick, full wisp and sticks to the sides of the glass. A half wisp remains and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. Really good looking.

SMELL: Roasted aromas, sweet cream and vanilla with coffee, espresso, milk chocolate and light caramel notes. Some nuts on the nose too. Great, but not quite as impressive as the taste.

TASTE: Yes. Roasted flavors, milk chocolate and sweet caramel laced with vanilla cream up front. A big and persistent finish of sweet cream and milk chocolate, roasted grain, bitter espresso and coffee notes. Really delicious. Wonderful.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy and silky on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Good feel for sure.

OVERALL: This is phenomenal. An exceptional beer that really crosses the boundaries between porter and stout, and I'd probably put it in the later category if pushed. Lots of great flavors and aromas with a solid, creamy feel to support it all. Something worth seeking out if you can. Thanks again Rutager. Highly recommended.

01-21-2014 19:18:13 | More by Jeffo
joe1510

3.99/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

500ml Bottle

Big thanks goes out to Ryan for this one! Everett is black on top of black. There's no light shining through this beer. The chocolate brown head forms a nice cascade effect when poured hard and settles into a rich creamy cap. The head leaves some thin but sticky lace down the glass. One handsome beer.

The nose is dense with moderate roast coffee, a touch of hazelnut, and a couple drops of cream. A lactic sweetness adds to the whole overall cup o' coffee experience. Anise adds some black licorice qualities while roasty grains seem to make up the foundation. There's even a tendril of smoke. Sometimes there is a roastiness in beer that comes across as smokey to me but also a little like burnt rubber. While that roastiness is present in this beer it's very faint but I can't help but notice it. There's good depth but it's very subdued, even after warming.

The flavor profile is much more expressive. High cocoa dark chocolate and coffee leap from the glass. That hazelnut and drop of cream, that's close to vanilla, are back and the anise plays a larger role than the nose suggested.I'm not a huge black licorice guy. The chocolate and coffee are rich. I still, unfortunately, get a hint of that burnt rubber on the swallow. It's faint but there, luckily chocolate and roast push it aside and linger.

Active carbonation pushes a body that's a notch below dense to the point of near frothiness. The weighty body is creamy upfront and pushes through to that frothiness. A soft and appreciated roasty bitterness lingers on the swallow. A touch of residual sugar sticks around for a second before drying up. Nicely done!

Everett is a damn fine porter from Hill Farmstead. There's a good depth of flavor and the body is spot on. I wish the nose was a little more expressive but that's just me being picky. While I thoroughly enjoy this porter, and would drink it again, I think I'd reach for either Revolution's or Founder's versions first. Six packs help. Thanks again for the sample, Ryan, appreciated!

12-15-2013 03:09:24 | More by joe1510
vinny21bal

3.16/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I have never been as big a fan as hill farmstead as others. Granted I have only had about five of there beers. I have never been blown away by any of them. And a couple I have had I think are actually poor beers. The Everett however is a decent porter. There are definitely better porters out there, but this one does the trick. Nothing special at all.

11-25-2013 19:18:10 | More by vinny21bal
homebrew311

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours pitch black with nice tan head, nice lacing left behind. Nose is robust and smokey with notes of chocolate, cream, oats, and smoke. Taste is roasty up front. Roast and chocolate are followed up by some earthy hop notes. Nicely balanced notes here, spot on for the style. Mouthfeel is moderate with appropriate carbonation. Delicious porter, well worth a try.

10-26-2013 10:14:35 | More by homebrew311
Vonerichs

4.69/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Deep dark brown with a thick almost meringue-like dark sandy colored head. The head is persistent and creamy texture. A little bit of sediment settles on the bottom after a few minutes (poured the entire body into a CBS snifter.)

The smell is fresh light roast coffee, dark chocolate, cola, vanilla.

It's quite possibly the best tasting beer I've had and certainly the best porter. The coffee flavors are smooth, light berries, slightly acidic. Again with the chocolate only it's sweeter than in the smell. The vanilla is a light accent.

Soft, smooth body with a creamy texture, like a pillow on the tongue. Light carbonation.

It's nothing short of amazing. The coffee flavors are impeccable and are held up on a heavy yet delicate body. Bravo.

09-27-2013 01:44:22 | More by Vonerichs
pawpaw

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

First review.

I've had Everett before, but this time I felt a full review was necessary. Bottle served in Black Star Co-op "estate" glasses, split with my better half. No idea the age of the bottle--I received it in a trade a couple of months ago and it's been sitting quietly in my basement.

A: Expected very dark brown (nearly black) with a fantastic pillowy, tan head that has reasonable retention.

S: This is the only place I felt Everett could earn perfection. Roast aroma was spot-on, but I wanted a skosh more malt character in the nose--mainly looking for chocolate/toffee. No question about the style, but after tasting, I guess I expected the nose to ride side by side with the rest of the beer.

T: From front to back this beer is perfect. Light malts in the foreground transitioning into the roasted chocolate perfection I wish was in the nose (not to say the nose wasn't near perfect, but every time the glass approached my mouth, I wanted the anticipation of the next sip to start with the nose). Sometimes a fine line sits between porters and stouts that the styles become blurred, but for some reason I never once thought that this could be a stout. Everett toes the line perfectly. One more step forward and you're drinking a light stout. 7.5% is on the high end for the style and I ain't even mad because it's completely nonexistent. I could drink this for an entire evening.

M: After the first sip I had to sit back in my seat. Up front Everett almost comes off too light, as if Shaun Hill forgot what he was doing, but as the beer moves across your palate you realize that not only did Shaun Hill know what he was doing, but he has set the bar for what this style should strive to become. The taste is nothing without the mouthfeel, and to make a porter this creamy and fluffy with a perfect, tiny zing of carbonation in the back takes a lot more than simply knowing how to brew a porter.

O: As previously mentioned, Everett is what all robust porters should strive to be. If you are brewing this style on a small or large scale and need some guidance, either look to Everett for inspiration or just give up, because chances are you aren't going to be able to create a porter experience that's even in the same universe as this beer.

Each time I have a Hill Farmstead beer I want to be disappointed. I want to be able to get off the hype train at the next stop and buy a ticket to a different destination but every time I end up staying in my seat, waiting for the next time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to experience near perfection.

09-24-2013 15:02:26 | More by pawpaw
DonFrap

4.88/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle of the recent batch into an HF oversized glass.

A: Black, really black. Not much head but retains well.

S: Roasty comes to mind. Smooth coffee smell.

T: A porter can't get better than this. Perfect roasted coffee and malty goodness. I would take this over most stouts any day.

M: Good mouthfeel. Some porters are too thin, Everett does not have that problem.

O: I wanted to make my first review Everett because it is my favorite "shelf" beer. I can't imagine a more perfect representation of the style. If only Shaun would can this ( I know, it'll never happen.) Seek this beer out whenever it is available. It's not as hyped as the Saisons and limited stuff, but its worth it.

08-01-2013 02:53:52 | More by DonFrap
Jimmys

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

500mL bottle into tulip. bottled 06 2013.

A: not pitch black, but a very dark brown. head is very frothy and a rich brown hue. retention is terrific. thick spots of lacing left behind.

S: I think this has more rich sweet and dark chocolate than any roast. a very minor warming factor. rich, warm, inviting.

T: a lot of roast, even more chocolate. a boatload more chocolate. perhaps a little bit of astringency. minor vanilla. soft sweetness. there may be a touch of espresso in here too. however the finish is all dark chocolate.

M: the mouthfeel is different but fucking awesome. not quite nitro, but super soft and super smooth.

D: nice to see an American porter on the prestigious top 250 list, especially this high. very tasty shit. certainly one of the best porters I have had, however this mouthfeel and flavor is making me think more stout-side than porter-side. regardless, go get some.

07-30-2013 03:04:51 | More by Jimmys
jimmy82063

Connecticut

4.44/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stemmed HF taster.

A) Jet black with a nice tan head that takes a bit to dissipate

S) Slight Chocolate, Vanilla and a bit of Coffee

T) Nice chocolate, coffee, vanilla. Can't believe coffee was not used reading from some of the other reviews. Alcohol well hidden.

M) Very smooth.

O) Could teach some stouts a lesson. Glad to have tried!

07-25-2013 01:05:37 | More by jimmy82063
greenmtn1111

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 06/2013

Poured into a glass goblet.

Black in color with a dark, tan head, 1.5 fingers in height. Bittersweet chocolate on the nose, hint of coffee, then sweeter milk chocolate. Super thick and smooth on the palate with loads of chocolate malt, it’s sweet up front with a bittersweet finish. There is substantial lacing on the glass. Coffee flavors are very present, even though no coffee was used. At 7.5%, the alcohol is well-hidden. I think I am drinking this too fast, - it’s that good. This beer has incredible body for a porter and has an almost oily quality…it could easily pass for a stout. The bitterness from the chocolate malts and Columbus hops really gives it its character. This is an intense porter, but everything comes together magically and produces one of the best porters I've had to date.

07-24-2013 03:30:48 | More by greenmtn1111
RichD

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured this into a snifter.

A: Pours a crude oil, black color with about a finger or 2 of khaki colored head. Not much lacing left along the glass as I drink away.

S: The smell of coffee and roasted malts overtake my nose. A slight whiff of smoke is also present. Some faints smells of dark fruits come through, though not as prominent as the coffee and roasted malts. Good stuff here.

T: Wow! What an experience this is! The flavors of coffee and roasted malts are incredible. Also there is a good smokiness at the end which is something that I've never tasted in any porter I've ever had. The dark fruits that I mentioned in the smell section come through in a mild way. The taste of this porter is like nothing I've ever tasted and it is definitely the best tasting porter I've ever had. This is truly awesome. There isn't an incredible amount of depth, but honestly it's not really needed with the flavors that this brew exudes.

M: A medium to heavy mouthfeel. This beer is so damn creamy and smooth. A very balanced beer and I've yet to taste any alcohol at all. A slightly dry finish that lingers, but not for too long. A pleasant feel.

Overall: This is by far the best porter I have ever had in my beer drinking life. I am truly unsure if I'll ever have one that can even contend with this. The smell of brewed coffee along with the smokiness that comes through when I drink this just make Everett an absolute treat to taste. I only bought 2 bottles at Hill Farmstead and right now I am kicking myself for not grabbing at least 2 more. What an amazing beer. Awesome job, Shaun Hill and co.!!

07-13-2013 01:56:20 | More by RichD
mikem0487

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle. Bottled 06/2013.

A-A bold black body with a thin incremental brown head. Lacing is minimal.

S-Roasted malt is the main component of the aroma. Dark chocolate, very mild smokiness and dark fruits of raisin and plum are subtle.

T-Again the roasted malt is upfront with a more pronounced smoke note on the palate. Dense dark chocolate is more towards the finish and after taste. The roastiness lingers with the dark chocolate in the finish. Very good and smooth. As it warms the alcohol becomes apparent and the dark fruit becomes more assertive. The two mix well and leave a great finish.

M-Full bodied, carbonation is apparent on the tongue. Sweet finish.

O-A beautifully done Porter. Highly drinkable even on this warm summer night. Have had this on tap once before and it was great and having this in a bottle does not disappoint. Wish I had another one to age for 6 months to see the subtle changes that would develop. I have to keep my eye open for the barrel aged version.

07-02-2013 16:11:06 | More by mikem0487
PHBoiler

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

The depth of flavor that this beer offers without using additives is world class. It is truly a world class porter. The mouthfeel and body of this beer distinguishes itself as a true porter with the proper viscosity. So much roast that you get all the coffee you want without the bitterness or burnt taste. There is some chocolate/sweetness that balances the whole beer out as well. Truly a delight and the best porter I've had.

07-01-2013 04:08:18 | More by PHBoiler
Resuin

4.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a stemmed Hill Farmstead glass. No bottling date on the bottle but I picked this one up at the brewery a couple months ago.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown and leaves a half finger or so of tan head.

Smell: Roasted malt, raisins, plums, figs, coffee, chocolate.

Taste: Matches the nose: roasted malts, dark fruits, cocoa, coffee, slight bitterness. Well balanced porter. The smooth finish really sets this one apart.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body, creamy. Very smooth and very well balanced.

Overall: This is an excellent porter - perhaps the best "standard" for the porter style that I have had.

07-01-2013 02:26:01 | More by Resuin
BobZ

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to roon for chance to try this one.

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a nice 2" head that recedes to a healthy cap which leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt which is coffee forward when cold but turns more chocolaty as it warms in the glass.

Taste: Similar to the nose, very coffee forward when colder with the roasty bitterness combining with some hoppy bitterness on the finish. Some warmth and the flavor unlocks, the coffee moves toward mocha then dark chocolate. Almost a lactic sweetness comes forward giving this beer a very nice finish. Pleasantly bitter on the finish, again, a combination of roasted malts and hops.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.

Overall: Very nice porter, a flavor bomb, one of the best I've sampled.

06-30-2013 00:52:49 | More by BobZ
jbaker67

4.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a massive coffee tan head that dissipates but retains well. This really looks the bollocks! Nose is roast malt, cocoa, molasses, chocolate malts Taste comprises chocolate malt, light mineral notes, cocoa powder, Medium bodied, soft carbonation, smooth and massaging on the palate.

06-22-2013 21:26:01 | More by jbaker67
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.76/5  rDev -16.8%

it gushed. a gusher porter? eeks. massive head, way too much carbonation.

nose is chocolate. some sweet candy and espresso. a few hints of berry. hint of port wine.

taste has me locking in. so much bitter dark chocolate. espresso and roasted malt blend. really strong, bitter, dark, and flavorful. hops are a bit faint, maybe some citrus.

very carbonated, too carbonated. tons of bite and bloating in the mouth. after many swirls, it tames down for a sweet light body.

good but mother of god the carbonation killed it.

06-17-2013 23:00:28 | More by hooliganlife
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the brewery. From notes.

A - Poured black with a two finger beige head. Decent rings of lace and a half finger of retention.

S - Super rich chocolate, tobacco, licorice, leather, shoe polish.

T - Tobacco, bitter coffee, leather, lot's of chocolate, a bit ashy. Strong milk chocolate moves to a bitter coffee flavour and becomes more rich and sweet later.

M - Good carbonation, full body, and a sweetness that moves to dry in the finish.

O/D - A solid porter. Very complex and drinkable. Not the craziest thing out there, but it hits all the requisite points right one. Good stuff.

06-09-2013 23:18:01 | More by tbeckett
themind

One of the best beers I have ever had! Chocolate roasty aroma with an incredible nutty, chocolate taste. Really!!! I could drink this every day it's that good. Pours almost no head yet has a fantastic mouthfeel with crisp slight carbonation. This is the very definition of a World Class Beer! Seek this out, sell your home do what you need to do to try this beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary beer!

05-28-2013 00:12:21 | More by themind
StoutItOutLoud

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to unbreakabolt for this in-person trade. Saved me a trip to Vermont, at the mere cost of 2 KBS. Picked up by him in late March, consumed on 5-26-2013.

Poured from a 500 mL (16.9 oz) bottle to a 13.75 oz tulip - 10 oz at first, with the remainder capped and placed back in the fridge. Poured the remainder after downing the first pour in approximately 40 minutes. In other words, the beer sat at room temperature warming for at most 40 minutes. Certainly not unreasonable, considering the recommendation to serve heavier stouts at 55 or so.

This beer demonstrates the fine stylistic line between "porter" and "stout," right from the pour. There is an unexpected "glug glug" aspect. Pleasant and inviting.

Close to black appearance, with slight (1/2 finger) darker tan head - though this was not a vigorous pour. Darker "English and German roasted malts" making their presence felt. The head did not linger long, with minimal lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malt, plain and simple, true to the description on the bottle ("American malted barley, English and German roasted malts [pale, caramel, and chocolate]"). French roast coffee grinds, chocolate, with a hint of milk lactose and oat. I sense the American hops [Columbus] more early on - very faint fruit (grape skin, but not citrus). Again, this is close to a milk stout or (lower ABV) RIS initially. Certainly not as hoppy as Storm King, but comparable aroma to GL Blackout.

Early sips, I thought there was a hop bite to the aftertaste, a la Storm King. With time, however, I realized the bite owed to the bold roasted grains. Coffee and chocolate primarily, with a very pleasant sweetness that was not cloying in any way. It is not, coffeewise, on the level of FBS. Not noticeably carbonated. Mouthfeel and taste not drawn out. Palate not left "coated." Very smooth to the last drop. Overall impression next day: pleasant roasted grain, slight chocolate.

Coming to this tasting, I did not hold "robust" porters (Founders, Smuttynose) in high esteem, especially in comparison to Eddy Fitz and Anchor. True, those are lower ABV, but I preferred the less bitter approach taken by them. With time, however, I came to appreciate the boldness of this beer. It is very smooth, an indication of the attention to detail paid by HF. It is complex, not sure I would call it "decadent" in its depth though. All told, I'm not sure if this is my fave porter, but it is damn close. More impressive than Eddy FItz out of the bottle (I'd hope so, at $8 a pop).

05-27-2013 01:29:21 | More by StoutItOutLoud
brentk56

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a mocha cap of foam; decent retention and a shard or two of lace

Smell: Chocolate and char dominate, with some hops and licorice underneath

Taste: Chocolate and char, up front, with nuts and licorice arriving in the middle with the earthy hops; a bit astringent in the finish though there is a hint of vanilla in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and somewhat creamy, with moderate carbonation

Overall: I aged my bottle for a couple of years and perhaps that is why I am not as excited about the porter as are others; still, it is quite nice - just not the bee's knees to me

Thanks, acurtis, for the opportunity

05-23-2013 03:42:12 | More by brentk56