Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Earl Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Earl Coffee Oatmeal StoutEarl Coffee Oatmeal Stout

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 09-09-2010

Earl (1911-1985) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Stout is crafted from American malted barley, Flaked Oats, English roasted malts, American hops, Organic Guatemalan Coffee, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. A silhouette of coffee and malt - an embodiment of complexity and drinkability, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Earl.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

Decided to split this with some friends when we got together to brew.

Earl pours a pitch black color with a brown head into my glass.

The aroma is full of bitter coffee but not too much of it.

The taste is rich with creamy bitter coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel has an oily texture with lingering creamy coffee notes.

Certainly one of the better local examples I've had of this type of beer. Wish I still had a growler full of it.

a stout with an exceptional nose. Pour is about two fingers. Nose of toasted malt and rose water at first. This fades after the first sip and the true chalk burn coffee grounds comes out. This combines with the hops to leave a dead dry tongue. Beer isn't quite soapy but just a tad smoked acidic.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at the BlackBack Pub and Flyshop in Waterbury VT on Thursday. The keg was quite foamy so Rick gave me a large sample to try.

A: Pours a dark brown color with minimal light coming through. I cannot comment on the head as it was quite thick from the keg, but it was a nice brown foam head.

S: There is an ample amount of coffee flavor, dark roasted coffee and espresso. There are some hints of chocolate, caramel and vanilla.

T: Just like the scent, blends quite nicely together. Lots of coffee malt on the front end. The middle and back end also contain the coffee and there is some chocolate and vanilla there as well.

M: Very thick and slick mouthfeel. Although a tad thin when compared to other types of breakfast stouts.

D: This is easy to drink, quite tasty. Not sure the ABV of this, but I could certainly enjoy more than one of these in a sitting.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this one at the Black Back this past Friday. Apparently this particular keg was extremely foamy and Mr. Hill called Rick (owner of the Black Back) to ask him if he was ok with it....Rick hadn't tapped it prior to him calling so he drew from his experience with the last keg and told him it was fine. Upon tapping and pouring for a day or two he realized that Shaun knew what he was talking about. Rick graciously warned me about the condition of the keg before pouring it and I said I'd be fine with it. He then basically poured me 3 large snifter glasses of foam which eventually receded into 3x 1/3 glasses of beer. A bit of pouring one into the other and viola I had a perfect snifter of brew!

Appearance: Pours (or shall I say settles!) deep dark brown black with a dark brown massive crown. Loads of retention and lace.

Smell: Nice coffee notes over dark malt with caramel and brown sugar notes.

Taste: Same as nose....really nice integration of coffee going on here!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with loads of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very good!

Another solid HF Brew!

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I enjoyed this black beauty a few times last Sunday at the Blackback Pub & Flyshop in Waterbury with BeerTruth. This would be my first non-hop-centric brew by Hill Farmstead.

Hmmm, well I might as well start off with the issues with pouring this one. I don't know where the fault lies, the tap system at Blackback or the keg itself (after missing out on this at SIPtemberfest because of serving issues, I am leaning towards the kegging), but this was all thick caramel foam. Each full serving literally took 15 minutes and multiple cups to achieve. There was no infection or off taste here thankfully. By the time the beer settled it was at perfect carbonation, but by the time a glass was finished it was pretty flat.

Well now that the negative is out of the way, it is all positive from here on out. I'm reviewing this one post-foam pre-flat, if that makes sense.

Almost black, almost. The head that remains after waiting patiently for this to settle is thick and creamy, a darker caramel that paints the DFH snifter well.

This just smells so enticing. The coffee notes are rich and roasty, not bitter at all, with some sweet light molasses and caramel to boot.

Mmmm oatmeal, you make my beer so smoooth. A light pillow of coffee and dark chocolate with some brown sugar sprinkled on top coats the mouth. The body on this one is less than you expect when you see it, a lot less in my opinion. It works well with this beer though, increasing the drinkability, but I would not think this beer would age well.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

12oz pour at The Farmhouse Tap & Grill.

Quick review: Pours pitch black with HUGE thick tan head that looks like I might need a spoon for! Aroma is packed with freshly brewed coffee and toasted grains doused with fresh cream. Palate is a little thinner than I was expecting, but packed with flavor. No acidity to speak of, but the body seems to be teetering on the edge due to the amount of coffee. I'm not sure how this beer would be in a month. Flavors are great, but I'd personally like more body. The lighter body adds drinkability, however.

Good integration of coffee, but a little light on the body.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap poured into an Allagash Tulip. Shaun can we get some more Hill Farmstead glassware in VT bars?

Pours a very nice super dark brown to almost black with a very thick and creamy dark brown fine head. Nose is sweet, coffee, malt, brown sugar, caramel.

Taste is just like the nose, coffee, chocolate, lotsa brown suga, it's a bit sharp and crisp. Really a good beer with a nice warm and thick mouthfeel. It's got a nice rich mouthfeel that's very tasty.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last