2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ephraim - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EphraimEphraim

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim.

280 Theoretical IBU

Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 609 | Reviews: 194 | Show All Ratings:
aerozeppl

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Fairly clear golden copper color. A little lighter than the usual DIPA. A finger of fluffy white head with great lacing. Definitely not filtered as there was some yeast floating in suspension.

S: Amazing nose. In your face grapefruit and citrus. Piney as well. Never came across in the nose as bitterness. Super crisp and fresh smelling. Just hop cones shoved in your nostrils. One of the best noses ever in a DIPA for me.

T: While not as good as the nose this is damn solid. Super fresh hop taste with a big grapefruit component. I wouldn't call it balanced but there was a ton of malt to even things out. Never was it really bitter except for a touch in the finish. Piney. Touch of orange peel. Tons of complexity out of the hops.

M: Medium body. Good carbonation for a growler. Nice and dry.

D: Right up there with the younger. Insanely drinkable. Would have thought around 8%. The best DIPA that I have had in a long time.

03-18-2011 00:02:01 | More by aerozeppl
TheDudeRules

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Hooked up with this from Sonicwaveofbees.

Growler to an imperial pint glass.

Nice looking copper color. Big giant 3 finger head. Lacing is prevalent. It's like a big beautiful bouquet busting out of the top of my glass. The smell is like a tropical rainforest. Pineapple, mango, melon, and cotton candy. This is seriously intense. I'm waiting for a monkey to come crawling out of my glass. My olfactory nerves are making love to my brain right now. Jeebus I hope this smell translates to taste. And...it does in a big way. Just awesome. You get the sweet citrus almost honey loveliness and then it's cut with dry bitterness. Brilliant. This was waltzing on my tongue. I didn't think it was too sticky but essentially almost perfect. A nice carbonation like you want your dipa to have.

I strive to try beers like this. The trading price was well warranted for this beer. In fact I would do it again over and over. Was it the best I've ever had? I think yes. This unknown is king of the hill in my opinion. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.

03-17-2011 14:16:24 | More by TheDudeRules
ottovon

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

brought by phelps to a tasting.

A: faint coppery color with a white head that faded quickly, leaving a white ring on the perimeter.

S: smells of hops. great citrus aroma. i get grapefruit and melon. a nice bit of alcohol. some caramel and straw. I get a little bit of sweetness in the aroma as well.

T: lots of hops. first thing i notice is the bitterness. citrus hop flavor, grapefruit, and orange. i get some caramel flavors towards the end. there is also some grassy flavors and a bit of alcohol. finishes dry and bitter.

M: medium-thin body with a good amount of carb.

D: very drinkable for the abv.

03-15-2011 04:22:07 | More by ottovon
brewdan

4.7/5  rDev +2%

First of all a shout out to Ryan who traded for this growler so he could send it to me?!?

Appearance: Clear golden pour

Smell: Deep piney hoppy goodness with a touch of orange.

Taste: Resinous piney hop blast. As it warms there is some orange or tangerine. I am sure there is a significant malt bill here but it definitely takes a back seat to the huge hops. Nice dry finish that is a touch bitter but not exceedingly so and it lasts a long long time. Superb.

Mouthfeel; Nice creamy resinous mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Good, would be better at lower ABV but the wife and I had no problem polishing off the growler.

My first Hill Farmstead beer and a great one at that. I can't wait to try more of their hoppy goodness.

03-13-2011 20:55:56 | More by brewdan
Phelps

Arizona

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Huge thanks go out to imagineiii for providing this growler as a prize in the fourth Beer Puzzle LIF. It was shared at a tasting of Arizona-bound beer lovers, and my particular pour was put inside a tulip.

Ephraim was the great-great grandfather of the current Hill Farmstead brewers -- the brewery itself sits just several hundred feet downhill from the land that he settled. Ephraim the beer is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, double dry hopped, brewed with water from Hill Farmstead's own wells, and boasts an impressive hop bill (Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe and Warrior) resulting in 280 theoretical IBUs.

Pours a light, perfectly clear tangerine with a head of bubbly, off-white froth that fizzles away quickly. Thin, craggy streaks of lace and very thin silky top layer linger as I drink.

The nose: super floral, super good. Orange blossom, honey liqueur, grass and melon. It's very boozy, and lots of alcohol burns the nose hairs. Rich.

In the flavor: hops, hops and more hops. Grapefruit juice, orange liqueur, honey, a bit of caramel, rose petals, fresh grass. A striking bitterness grips the tongue mightily. Very alcoholic, and again, rich.

The body is a silky medium, liqueur-like in feel, with a light, massaging carbonation. It retains its creaminess as I move it about. The 10.3 percent ABV is very noticeable in the nose, flavor, and drunkenness it's bestowing upon me.

For how heavy and alcoholic Ephraim is, drinkability is incredible. I can't stop sipping it. A fantastic DIPA.

03-13-2011 06:00:27 | More by Phelps
321jeff

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Growler brought over by Michael, thanks!

Pours a vibrant clear golden amber with a couple fingers of white head made up of some very thin bubbles. It almost glows when held up to the light. The head soon fades, leaving some bits of lacing in the glass.

The aroma is a very complex mix of pine resin, some citrus grapefuit and orange and some sweet malt in the background. It's almost reminiscent of a honey sweetness. Some alcohol becomes more evident as it warms.

The taste starts off slow up front, but as soon as it hits the middle of the tongue a serious load of citrus and malt sweetness, again almost like honey, hits you and the finish is a heavy bitter does of pine and resins. Although the description says a theoretical 280 IBU's, the bitterness is very well balanced and not as overpowering as the number would suggest.

The mouthfeel is really nice, but just a touch thin and not quite as "sticky" as I would expect from something this heavily hopped and 10.5%. Carbonation is thin and prickly and really spot on. This one goes down way too easy and I can only wish that something half this good was on tap locally.

03-09-2011 01:48:08 | More by 321jeff
Solomon420

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to John for sending me a growler of the most recent batch from early March 2011.

A: clear orangish yellow, lots of bubbles with off white 2 finger head.
S: lots of tropical fruits, hops, tangerines, grapefruits, sweet honesuckle. Perfect
T: didnt quite live up to the aroma. I expected more of a tropical fruit flavor that followed that wonderful aroma. However still very drinkable and it reminded me alot of Pliney the Elder. However I still wish it was a bit more tropical sweet in the flavor instead of heavier on the grapefruit/pine.
M: medium to almost heavy body (towards the end of the swig). Lots of carbonation, but they danced off the tongue.
D: I would have given it a 4.5-5.0 on this one had the taste been a bit more tropical, and at the very end of the swig, I felt this beer had a tinge of aspirin flavor to it. It appeared about 3 seconds after swallowing the beer. It was weird, but detracted a bit from the enjoyment.

However, I must say that this is an EXCELLENT beer and with beers like this and Double Sunshine from Lawson's...looks like Vermont is fast becoming the new "San Diego" and its a pleasure to know that FINALLY the east coasters are understanding how to make a proper hop-forward IPA/DIPA. Keep em coming...

03-07-2011 22:49:26 | More by Solomon420
womencantsail

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Huge thanks to Todd for hooking me up with a growler of this. So far I've been a big fan of Shaun's IPAs, so I've been looking forward to trying this one.

A: The pour is surprisingly clear, and is a nice golden amber color with a couple fingers of white head and sticky lacing all down the glass.

S: Intensely fruity on the nose. Excellent grapefruit, but perhaps even better tropical fruit aromas. Lots of pineapple and mango, perhaps some grass and certainly a little bit of pine. A mild sugar aroma provides some additional sweetness.

T: There is a touch of sweet malt flavor, but after that, it's just a ton of fruity hops. Pineapple, mango, and peaches give the beer a really nice flavor and the grapefruit and pine notes provide the requisite bitterness.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation. Not super bitter on the finish.

D: Damn good stuff, but the alcohol does catch up with you on this one. Deceptively easy to drink.

03-07-2011 17:03:15 | More by womencantsail
Bendurgin

Maine

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Huge thanks to Andrewinski1 for making the trek down to Hill Farmstead to grab this one up. Dedication. Poured into a tulip. Beer pours a slightly hazy straw color with about a finger of white fluffy head. It retains nicely and eventually settles down a bit leaving thin soapy lace.

Perfect balance on the aroma for this one. Bitter pine hops are really in your face on this one. The hop aroma blends itself nicely with a candied blood orange aroma that give a nice touch of sweetness in the aroma.

It's official. This is a hop bomb. Right away tropical juice flavors take over my pallet. Pineapple juice and orange flavors to start it off. If finishes with a really piney hop flavor.

A little bit of a sticky feel to this but the body is still pretty good. Lively carbonation, so it held up nicely in the growler. Overall, this is amazing. Drinkable to no end. 10.5? Like hell. Drinks like it's half that.

03-07-2011 01:33:13 | More by Bendurgin
andrewinski1

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead Glass. The color is a nice orangey gold color. A small white head is formed and leaves super sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of sweet tropical fruit like mango and a touch of orange zest. Smells juicy.

The taste is heavy on pineapple and also has some nice sweet orange in the finish as well. There is a touch of pine needle in there as well, but this is much more overwhelming with pineapple flavor. The sweetness is just enough to offset the bitterness. A great balance as far as a "triple" IPA is concerned.

The carbonation is nice and crisp, the body is relatively light, but still thick enough to fill your mouth with juicy hop nectar.

This is very very drinkable. I can't wait for every sip. Glad I'm only splitting this 3 ways so I can have a bunch. The more I drink, the more I get heavy pine, and it's awesome.

03-07-2011 01:28:36 | More by andrewinski1
AleWatcher

3.35/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared by Gonzoillini at a tasting. This was the first beer if the night. I was very excited to try it!
Growler opened with a large -pop- and was served in my Ithaca tulip.

The beer looks great. Nice closing yellowy gold... Slightly hazy, which I am a fan of... Big 3 fingers of white head... Very sticky lacing and strong retention. Off to a very strong start.

Smells good. Big citrus and pine hop notes. No real malt. Crisp and clean. The taste has some citrus and pine for sure... But everything is almost lost to a hurricane of pure bitterness. This is painfully bitter, but at the cost of a lot of flavor. This reminds me of Ruination a bit...

The body is oily and light-- almost thin for my tastes. Almost watery?! Wow. There is no bright prickliness that really helps propel the flavor across each tastebud... The beer feels dull and boring. Lots of oily residue left after each sip. It coats my teeth with pine tar.

Overall... This is a good beer. Is it fantastic? Meh. Is it world class? Nope.
It is a sign of a good young brewery though, and I'd love to see what these guys can do after tweaking things a bit.

03-06-2011 14:43:24 | More by AleWatcher
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks to TCassell1 for this beer, a treat to have. Notes from 3-3-11

A: Clear Orange to yellowish color with epic lacing and small bubbly head. Nice carbonation from the growler, which I was pleased to see. I expected the color to be brighter than normal IPA's since I saw there was so little malt.

S: Dank Hops, hop resin and sugary malt. Huge citrus notes and bitterness in there, wow.

T: Really crazy concentrated hops at the back of the palate with a huge bitter note and soft sugary feel up front. Grass, citrus, pine its all there in a huge hammer at the back of the palate. It's very nice how the beer has such a nice ease to it at the front of the palate and then really slams you with a multitude of hop flavors that I really dig. This is not the most balanced beer, but it is a dream for hop lovers and bitter loving people!

M: As I said, sugar up front and huge bitter back, maybe the most bitter palate wrecker I've had. Medium feel, not too much heat actually.

D: Great huge IPA, but it definitely taxes your palate fast! Excellent beer, I hope to get more of their stuff.

03-06-2011 00:26:43 | More by Dreadnaught33
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to dreadnaught33 for sharing some of his growler last night.

I have to say, the only thing about this beer that was not immensely impressive was the way it looked - a bit of a thin yellowish orange without a ton of head. Everything else about this beer was exceptional. The smell just hit me in the face with that big, aromatic hop and citrus aroma that I love in a DIPA, and the taste definitely followed suit. It was hoppy, fruity, a little sweet and ridiculously smooth, basically a perfect DIPA. It was so easy to drink that I was shocked to see that the ABV was 10.5%.

Overall, this is one of the best DIPAs I have ever had and a beer definitely deserving of all of the hype it's getting. It's pretty much perfect in every way.

Edit: I had some from the recent batch and it just wasn't quite as good. It was still a hell of DIPA, but it was more resiny and sweeter and a lot less bitter. I just didn't think the flavors came together quite as well the 2nd time around, so I'm making some minor changes to the review.

03-04-2011 15:51:54 | More by starrdogg
Verecund

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Finished writing an appellate brief from hell tonight, so thought I would reward myself with a couple of glasses of Ephraim. From a growler sent by a generous BA. Opened on 03.03.2011.

Pours a glowing orange peel orange with a full, thick-lacing-leaving head. A patch of thick bubbles sits idly on a quarter of the surface area.

Tropical fruit hits the nose, emanating bright orange and citrus, peach, mango and papaya. There's some resinous pine on the end of the nose, but it fades quickly into the light caramel malt backbone. As it opens, I get more caramelized sugar sweetness running through this.

Surprisingly (why am I surprised) bitter. It opens with the featured tropical fruitiness, but quickly transforms into a punch of pine and grapefruit pith. You can almost feel it tingle on your tongue. I get a nice dose of citric sweetness mid-palate that is washed away by the pithy and resinous bitterness. Sharply bitter finish.

Medium-bodied, somewhat dry mid-to-late palate. Sticky. Medium to medium-low carbonation. There's some heat on it.

This tests my personal limits for bitterness, as I've never experienced anything quite like the finish here - it's assaulting. Still, surprisingly complex - the hints of orange that peek through are bright and brilliant - and my first glass is empty before the review is done. A DIPA to be reckoned with.

03-04-2011 00:06:54 | More by Verecund
GatheringBrews

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

This is a dangerous beer because of it's smoothness, balanced and big ABV. I can easily drink a few of these if not careful.

On tap and in growlers.

It pours a hazy yellow with a medium creamy head that holds nicely and laces in the glass. Big hop aroma with notes of citrus and pine. The taste is slightly resinous, citrusy and fruity, but smooth and no alcohol hotness at all. It finishes with a balanced bitterness and slight dryness that begs for a repour.

Really fresh taste overall and one of the few Imperial IPAs I can enjoy more than one of in a sitting.

01-06-2011 02:00:05 | More by GatheringBrews
Thorpe429

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review altered after 2011 EBF.

Had this very fresh at EBF. The characteristics are similar to what is described below, but everything was so much more pungent. The nose absolutely exploded with raw hops that carried through to over-the-top hops in the flavor along with a really nice amount of bitterness for a seriously drinkable brew.

Old Review: 4 / 4.5 / 4 / 4.5 / 4

On tap at the Three Penny Taproom. Super-friendly staff and I'm really glad that this was still on we Amyliz4 and I made it in.

Pours a really bright orange color with two fingers of white head and a load of sticky lacing around the edges of the glass. The nose is really nice and over-the-top hoppy with a lot of pine, resin, orange peel, citrus, and some light tropical fruits.

The taste has many of the same components of the nose, though those are often overshadowed by the absolutely bruising bitterness that comes through in the mouthfeel. Citrus, tropical fruits, and a bit of pine. The feel is really, really hoppy and mixes well with the light alcohol that comes through. I'd love to try this again and will hopefully be making a trip back up North to visit all these magnificent Vermont breweries at some point soon.

11-14-2010 13:52:34 | More by Thorpe429
abuliarose

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Had on tap at the Farmhouse. Poured into a goblet tasting glass, hazy deep amber-gold body under a lacy white head. The hop smell wafts across the table: sweet, sappy, grassy and with a heavy dose of floral honey. Fresh and mouthwatering IPA smells.

Tastes just less potent than I remember, but with a huge grapefruit presence that dominates the bitter profile and an appealing slight sweetness under the hop backbone. Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy but drying and smooth, medium-bodied. For how bitter this beer is, it's extremely well-balanced and very, very drinkable. Delicious!!

I hope to have this on tap fresh if it comes out again. Definitely an experience to look forward to.

11-07-2010 01:26:59 | More by abuliarose
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Growler- pours a light tangerine with slight haze with a light head and soapy lacing. Nose- huge blast of tropical fruit (mango, pineapple, passion fruit). Taste- WOW- intense, wave after wave of hops attack the senses. Citrus, pine resin. Thick chewy hops interplay with cookie dough pale malts. Medium bodied. Carbonation spot (esp for a growler I've been sitting on for a few weeks). Booze is not apparent other then a warming heat as this hop delivery vehicle slides down the throat. Its a man among boys in the world of dipas. Drinkability is insance for the power of this brew. World class

11-06-2010 20:20:04 | More by oakbluff
sisuspeed

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Served in a small tasting glass. A thin white head sits on top of a beautiful glowing orange body. Lots of sticky lacing left behind.

Wedges of orange citrus mixed with pine-laden hop hit the nose. Some sweet malt makes its way in as well. Definitely more balanced this time around than at the release. More citrus notes, but the grassy-pine hop aroma is still nice and strong.

Hoppy, bitter, crushed orange and sweet malts wash across the tongue. Sticky pine, slightly grassy and full of citrus. A great IBU punch to the mouth, but still maintaining great balance. This is how a DIPA should taste.

Mouthfeel is sticky, resiny, smooth and bitter. Good carbonation and a body that is substantial, yet light enough to be refreshing.

As always, this is ridiculously easy to drink. A delicious Double/Triple IPA that has a huge helping of hops, but plenty of citrus and body that make it a pleasure to drink. The ABV is unnoticeable, so this brew is dangerous in more ways than one. I highly recommend seeking this one out. It is simply one of the best hop-infused beers out there.

11-03-2010 00:38:41 | More by sisuspeed
mymrnngjckt

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Shared a growler with two friend recently. Appearance is a golden dark yellow. The smell is simply outstanding. Great pine/citrus (grapefruit) smell. The best smelling east coast IPA I have ever had. The taste did not dissapoint. More hoppy than malty (which I like.) Mouthfeel was also excellent. Perfectly carbonated.

All things being equal, I would pick this over any other DIPA I have ever consumed. This one is nothing short of perfection.

10-27-2010 15:08:35 | More by mymrnngjckt
kbutler1

4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Growler. Pours a golden yellow amber color with a very white head that forms a nice 1 finger head of foam that false rather quickly. I can smell the hop aroma as I pour this out into the glass. Very aromatic with nice tropical type hop notes like pineapple and mango, also some citrus rind. Medium mouthfeel. Fruity malty sweetness gives way to a nice bitter hop bite. Wow, bitter bite, might be a tad much. Very slight alcohol notes but otherwise the alcohol is fairly well hidden.

10-27-2010 12:23:38 | More by kbutler1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.38/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Poured into Bells snifter.

Pours 1 finger of white head that fades to a thick ring. Leaves some lacing from there. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Hmm, this smells far better than any east cost XPA I have smelt. Reminds me more of west coast style. Huge pine hop profile with a large amount of citrus. Has a lot of mangoes and grapefruit flavors with a bit of orange. I get a touch of onion, but it is very faint.

Taste: Very hoppy. Floral and pine round this one out with a touch of alcohol. It also has a heavy dose of grapefruit, orange, and mango, much like the nose. There is a touch of bready malts and an light union flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A little boozy. Pretty bitter. Ends clean with a little heat left over.

Overall, this is a great dipa. Either I am very thirsty or this thing is that drinkable, because my glass isn't lasting long. I am glad I have finally had a DIPA from the east coast that has impressed me.

10-26-2010 23:53:55 | More by mothman
HopHead84

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks! A much anticipated first review from a much anticipated brewery. I'm new to Hill Farmstead brewery, but not to the beers of this brewer.

A: Appears tangerine orange and clear with a billowing white head, great retention, and thick sheets of lacing.

S: Aroma is of grapefruit, peach, tangerine, mango, orange, passion fruit, and a little papaya, a veritable cornucopia of fruit characteristics that coexist harmoniously. Holy shit this smells fantastic. There's a whisper of pine in there as well, but the hop character is mostly fruit. Alcohol is very well hidden for the monstrous ABV, I can't even detect it. Malt is light and reminiscent of caramel. One of the best smelling Double/Triple IPAs I've encountered.

T: Big hop flavor, manifesting itself in the form of a myriad of fruits: peach, mango, orange, grapefruit, papaya, and tangerine. Bitterness is at an upper moderate level with ephemeral sweetness midpalate. Malt is caramel in character but takes a backseat to the bold and unabashed hop profile. This is _outstanding_ stuff. Finish is a hop explosion with a lingering pithy bitterness. Alcohol is deftly masked.

M: Medium bodied with a dry, sticky mouthfeel and good carbonation. The growler held up very well.

Overall: Top notch stuff. This is one of the best Double/Triple IPAs I've had, up there with Younger. If future batches are as good as this first batch this beer will become very well known. Seek this out!

10-20-2010 04:45:37 | More by HopHead84
largadeer

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Had a few pours from a growler thanks to Arbitrator. The growler apparently lost a few ounces of beer in transit, but that didn't seem to harm it much beyond a slight loss of carbonation.

It pours a hazy glowing peach color, capped by a finger of white froth that takes a moment to form and then slowly settles to a collar.

I was taken aback by the huge hop aroma. Tangerine, pineapple and grapefruit instantly remind me of Pliny the Younger, my gold standard for the style, but there's also a resiny/evergreen-like quality to it. There's a lightly sweet sugary (though not overtly caramelized) malt backbone, just enough sweetness to give a beer this big some substance.

Hop flavors hit the tongue first, and mirror the aroma with notes of pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, perhaps a touch more juicy tropical fruit. It has a substantial malt character, but I only pick up a hint of sweetness before my palate is annihilated by the hugely bitter finish. The mouthfeel might be my favorite aspect of the beer, it's sharp and resiny, extremely bitter but not necessarily harsh. Truly outstanding stuff, and surprisingly easy to drink for a 10.5% monster. I hope this becomes a somewhat regular release.

10-20-2010 00:30:17 | More by largadeer
nickd717

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Finally a tick from Hill Fargstead! Growler (and hand bottle) shared by Arbitrator. Let's see see what these crazy homers are all yappin' about, shall we?

Pours a great bright golden color with a small white head that fades.

Big-time citrusy and herbal hop aroma with sweet malt to back it up. Really enticing.

The flavor is very nice and hop-forward. Sweet and caramel malt base, with huge grapefruity, orangey, pine, herbal notes, and big resin.

Enamel-ripping mouthfeel with fairly lively carbonation despite being from a growler. Medium-full body.

Really awesome DIPA, almost up to Younger level. So easy to drink at 10.5%. Man, never thought I'd become a Vermont hyper, but here I go. Do they put hallucinogens in these beers?

10-16-2010 20:27:13 | More by nickd717