Ephraim - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EphraimEphraim

Wants: 1,268
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim.

280 Theoretical IBU

Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-28-2010)
4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead Glass. The color is a nice orangey gold color. A small white head is formed and leaves super sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of sweet tropical fruit like mango and a touch of orange zest. Smells juicy.

The taste is heavy on pineapple and also has some nice sweet orange in the finish as well. There is a touch of pine needle in there as well, but this is much more overwhelming with pineapple flavor. The sweetness is just enough to offset the bitterness. A great balance as far as a "triple" IPA is concerned.

The carbonation is nice and crisp, the body is relatively light, but still thick enough to fill your mouth with juicy hop nectar.

This is very very drinkable. I can't wait for every sip. Glad I'm only splitting this 3 ways so I can have a bunch. The more I drink, the more I get heavy pine, and it's awesome.

andrewinski1, Mar 07, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared by Gonzoillini at a tasting. This was the first beer if the night. I was very excited to try it!
Growler opened with a large -pop- and was served in my Ithaca tulip.

The beer looks great. Nice closing yellowy gold... Slightly hazy, which I am a fan of... Big 3 fingers of white head... Very sticky lacing and strong retention. Off to a very strong start.

Smells good. Big citrus and pine hop notes. No real malt. Crisp and clean. The taste has some citrus and pine for sure... But everything is almost lost to a hurricane of pure bitterness. This is painfully bitter, but at the cost of a lot of flavor. This reminds me of Ruination a bit...

The body is oily and light-- almost thin for my tastes. Almost watery?! Wow. There is no bright prickliness that really helps propel the flavor across each tastebud... The beer feels dull and boring. Lots of oily residue left after each sip. It coats my teeth with pine tar.

Overall... This is a good beer. Is it fantastic? Meh. Is it world class? Nope.
It is a sign of a good young brewery though, and I'd love to see what these guys can do after tweaking things a bit.

AleWatcher, Mar 06, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks to TCassell1 for this beer, a treat to have. Notes from 3-3-11

A: Clear Orange to yellowish color with epic lacing and small bubbly head. Nice carbonation from the growler, which I was pleased to see. I expected the color to be brighter than normal IPA's since I saw there was so little malt.

S: Dank Hops, hop resin and sugary malt. Huge citrus notes and bitterness in there, wow.

T: Really crazy concentrated hops at the back of the palate with a huge bitter note and soft sugary feel up front. Grass, citrus, pine its all there in a huge hammer at the back of the palate. It's very nice how the beer has such a nice ease to it at the front of the palate and then really slams you with a multitude of hop flavors that I really dig. This is not the most balanced beer, but it is a dream for hop lovers and bitter loving people!

M: As I said, sugar up front and huge bitter back, maybe the most bitter palate wrecker I've had. Medium feel, not too much heat actually.

D: Great huge IPA, but it definitely taxes your palate fast! Excellent beer, I hope to get more of their stuff.

Dreadnaught33, Mar 06, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to dreadnaught33 for sharing some of his growler last night.

I have to say, the only thing about this beer that was not immensely impressive was the way it looked - a bit of a thin yellowish orange without a ton of head. Everything else about this beer was exceptional. The smell just hit me in the face with that big, aromatic hop and citrus aroma that I love in a DIPA, and the taste definitely followed suit. It was hoppy, fruity, a little sweet and ridiculously smooth, basically a perfect DIPA. It was so easy to drink that I was shocked to see that the ABV was 10.5%.

Overall, this is one of the best DIPAs I have ever had and a beer definitely deserving of all of the hype it's getting. It's pretty much perfect in every way.

Edit: I had some from the recent batch and it just wasn't quite as good. It was still a hell of DIPA, but it was more resiny and sweeter and a lot less bitter. I just didn't think the flavors came together quite as well the 2nd time around, so I'm making some minor changes to the review.

starrdogg, Mar 04, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Finished writing an appellate brief from hell tonight, so thought I would reward myself with a couple of glasses of Ephraim. From a growler sent by a generous BA. Opened on 03.03.2011.

Pours a glowing orange peel orange with a full, thick-lacing-leaving head. A patch of thick bubbles sits idly on a quarter of the surface area.

Tropical fruit hits the nose, emanating bright orange and citrus, peach, mango and papaya. There's some resinous pine on the end of the nose, but it fades quickly into the light caramel malt backbone. As it opens, I get more caramelized sugar sweetness running through this.

Surprisingly (why am I surprised) bitter. It opens with the featured tropical fruitiness, but quickly transforms into a punch of pine and grapefruit pith. You can almost feel it tingle on your tongue. I get a nice dose of citric sweetness mid-palate that is washed away by the pithy and resinous bitterness. Sharply bitter finish.

Medium-bodied, somewhat dry mid-to-late palate. Sticky. Medium to medium-low carbonation. There's some heat on it.

This tests my personal limits for bitterness, as I've never experienced anything quite like the finish here - it's assaulting. Still, surprisingly complex - the hints of orange that peek through are bright and brilliant - and my first glass is empty before the review is done. A DIPA to be reckoned with.

Verecund, Mar 04, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

This is a dangerous beer because of it's smoothness, balanced and big ABV. I can easily drink a few of these if not careful.

On tap and in growlers.

It pours a hazy yellow with a medium creamy head that holds nicely and laces in the glass. Big hop aroma with notes of citrus and pine. The taste is slightly resinous, citrusy and fruity, but smooth and no alcohol hotness at all. It finishes with a balanced bitterness and slight dryness that begs for a repour.

Really fresh taste overall and one of the few Imperial IPAs I can enjoy more than one of in a sitting.

GatheringBrews, Jan 06, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review altered after 2011 EBF.

Had this very fresh at EBF. The characteristics are similar to what is described below, but everything was so much more pungent. The nose absolutely exploded with raw hops that carried through to over-the-top hops in the flavor along with a really nice amount of bitterness for a seriously drinkable brew.

Old Review: 4 / 4.5 / 4 / 4.5 / 4

On tap at the Three Penny Taproom. Super-friendly staff and I'm really glad that this was still on we Amyliz4 and I made it in.

Pours a really bright orange color with two fingers of white head and a load of sticky lacing around the edges of the glass. The nose is really nice and over-the-top hoppy with a lot of pine, resin, orange peel, citrus, and some light tropical fruits.

The taste has many of the same components of the nose, though those are often overshadowed by the absolutely bruising bitterness that comes through in the mouthfeel. Citrus, tropical fruits, and a bit of pine. The feel is really, really hoppy and mixes well with the light alcohol that comes through. I'd love to try this again and will hopefully be making a trip back up North to visit all these magnificent Vermont breweries at some point soon.

Thorpe429, Nov 14, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Had on tap at the Farmhouse. Poured into a goblet tasting glass, hazy deep amber-gold body under a lacy white head. The hop smell wafts across the table: sweet, sappy, grassy and with a heavy dose of floral honey. Fresh and mouthwatering IPA smells.

Tastes just less potent than I remember, but with a huge grapefruit presence that dominates the bitter profile and an appealing slight sweetness under the hop backbone. Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy but drying and smooth, medium-bodied. For how bitter this beer is, it's extremely well-balanced and very, very drinkable. Delicious!!

I hope to have this on tap fresh if it comes out again. Definitely an experience to look forward to.

abuliarose, Nov 07, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Growler- pours a light tangerine with slight haze with a light head and soapy lacing. Nose- huge blast of tropical fruit (mango, pineapple, passion fruit). Taste- WOW- intense, wave after wave of hops attack the senses. Citrus, pine resin. Thick chewy hops interplay with cookie dough pale malts. Medium bodied. Carbonation spot (esp for a growler I've been sitting on for a few weeks). Booze is not apparent other then a warming heat as this hop delivery vehicle slides down the throat. Its a man among boys in the world of dipas. Drinkability is insance for the power of this brew. World class

oakbluff, Nov 06, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Served in a small tasting glass. A thin white head sits on top of a beautiful glowing orange body. Lots of sticky lacing left behind.

Wedges of orange citrus mixed with pine-laden hop hit the nose. Some sweet malt makes its way in as well. Definitely more balanced this time around than at the release. More citrus notes, but the grassy-pine hop aroma is still nice and strong.

Hoppy, bitter, crushed orange and sweet malts wash across the tongue. Sticky pine, slightly grassy and full of citrus. A great IBU punch to the mouth, but still maintaining great balance. This is how a DIPA should taste.

Mouthfeel is sticky, resiny, smooth and bitter. Good carbonation and a body that is substantial, yet light enough to be refreshing.

As always, this is ridiculously easy to drink. A delicious Double/Triple IPA that has a huge helping of hops, but plenty of citrus and body that make it a pleasure to drink. The ABV is unnoticeable, so this brew is dangerous in more ways than one. I highly recommend seeking this one out. It is simply one of the best hop-infused beers out there.

sisuspeed, Nov 03, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Shared a growler with two friend recently. Appearance is a golden dark yellow. The smell is simply outstanding. Great pine/citrus (grapefruit) smell. The best smelling east coast IPA I have ever had. The taste did not dissapoint. More hoppy than malty (which I like.) Mouthfeel was also excellent. Perfectly carbonated.

All things being equal, I would pick this over any other DIPA I have ever consumed. This one is nothing short of perfection.

mymrnngjckt, Oct 27, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Growler. Pours a golden yellow amber color with a very white head that forms a nice 1 finger head of foam that false rather quickly. I can smell the hop aroma as I pour this out into the glass. Very aromatic with nice tropical type hop notes like pineapple and mango, also some citrus rind. Medium mouthfeel. Fruity malty sweetness gives way to a nice bitter hop bite. Wow, bitter bite, might be a tad much. Very slight alcohol notes but otherwise the alcohol is fairly well hidden.

kbutler1, Oct 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Poured into Bells snifter.

Pours 1 finger of white head that fades to a thick ring. Leaves some lacing from there. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Hmm, this smells far better than any east cost XPA I have smelt. Reminds me more of west coast style. Huge pine hop profile with a large amount of citrus. Has a lot of mangoes and grapefruit flavors with a bit of orange. I get a touch of onion, but it is very faint.

Taste: Very hoppy. Floral and pine round this one out with a touch of alcohol. It also has a heavy dose of grapefruit, orange, and mango, much like the nose. There is a touch of bready malts and an light union flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A little boozy. Pretty bitter. Ends clean with a little heat left over.

Overall, this is a great dipa. Either I am very thirsty or this thing is that drinkable, because my glass isn't lasting long. I am glad I have finally had a DIPA from the east coast that has impressed me.

mothman, Oct 27, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks! A much anticipated first review from a much anticipated brewery. I'm new to Hill Farmstead brewery, but not to the beers of this brewer.

A: Appears tangerine orange and clear with a billowing white head, great retention, and thick sheets of lacing.

S: Aroma is of grapefruit, peach, tangerine, mango, orange, passion fruit, and a little papaya, a veritable cornucopia of fruit characteristics that coexist harmoniously. Holy shit this smells fantastic. There's a whisper of pine in there as well, but the hop character is mostly fruit. Alcohol is very well hidden for the monstrous ABV, I can't even detect it. Malt is light and reminiscent of caramel. One of the best smelling Double/Triple IPAs I've encountered.

T: Big hop flavor, manifesting itself in the form of a myriad of fruits: peach, mango, orange, grapefruit, papaya, and tangerine. Bitterness is at an upper moderate level with ephemeral sweetness midpalate. Malt is caramel in character but takes a backseat to the bold and unabashed hop profile. This is _outstanding_ stuff. Finish is a hop explosion with a lingering pithy bitterness. Alcohol is deftly masked.

M: Medium bodied with a dry, sticky mouthfeel and good carbonation. The growler held up very well.

Overall: Top notch stuff. This is one of the best Double/Triple IPAs I've had, up there with Younger. If future batches are as good as this first batch this beer will become very well known. Seek this out!

HopHead84, Oct 20, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Had a few pours from a growler thanks to Arbitrator. The growler apparently lost a few ounces of beer in transit, but that didn't seem to harm it much beyond a slight loss of carbonation.

It pours a hazy glowing peach color, capped by a finger of white froth that takes a moment to form and then slowly settles to a collar.

I was taken aback by the huge hop aroma. Tangerine, pineapple and grapefruit instantly remind me of Pliny the Younger, my gold standard for the style, but there's also a resiny/evergreen-like quality to it. There's a lightly sweet sugary (though not overtly caramelized) malt backbone, just enough sweetness to give a beer this big some substance.

Hop flavors hit the tongue first, and mirror the aroma with notes of pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, perhaps a touch more juicy tropical fruit. It has a substantial malt character, but I only pick up a hint of sweetness before my palate is annihilated by the hugely bitter finish. The mouthfeel might be my favorite aspect of the beer, it's sharp and resiny, extremely bitter but not necessarily harsh. Truly outstanding stuff, and surprisingly easy to drink for a 10.5% monster. I hope this becomes a somewhat regular release.

largadeer, Oct 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Finally a tick from Hill Fargstead! Growler (and hand bottle) shared by Arbitrator. Let's see see what these crazy homers are all yappin' about, shall we?

Pours a great bright golden color with a small white head that fades.

Big-time citrusy and herbal hop aroma with sweet malt to back it up. Really enticing.

The flavor is very nice and hop-forward. Sweet and caramel malt base, with huge grapefruity, orangey, pine, herbal notes, and big resin.

Enamel-ripping mouthfeel with fairly lively carbonation despite being from a growler. Medium-full body.

Really awesome DIPA, almost up to Younger level. So easy to drink at 10.5%. Man, never thought I'd become a Vermont hyper, but here I go. Do they put hallucinogens in these beers?

nickd717, Oct 16, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -11.1%

Chilled growler into a glass. Thanks Kristin!

A: Pours a hazy golden peach body with not a ton of head. The growler has been in transit for a week and it was apparently filled right to the top; the paper towel wrapped around the neck showed that it might have leaked in transit, so I'm forgiving any carbonation issues in appearance or mouthfeel. This special is today only! Anyway, the foam is lightly beige in color; it slowly comes out of solution, then vanishes very quickly. Some spotty lace left behind.

S: Carbonation issues or no, it is not affecting the aroma at all. A nice, pungent blend of orange rind, candied grapefruit, pineapple, passionfruit, and a touch of mossy weed (I wrote this down as 'dank' to widespread mockery by the tasting group, but I stand by it). There's an expressive sugariness and booze.

T: Initially the taste is a rough bitterness. I'm unused to this, considering that I mostly drink West Coast IPAs with a lot of hop flavor but not necessarily a lot of hop bitterness. But the flavors come together pretty nicely: orange rind, passionfruit, pineapple. Grapefruit and substantial sugar cookie give the impression of candied grapefruit. The mossy, weedy flavors are particularly noticeable here; they pull into the finish with a sticky, resinous presence. This reminds me heavily of fresh Moylan's Hopsickle.

M: Full, expressive flavors abound. There's a touch of booze that I don't enjoy, but having had a 3-week old growler of Pliny the Younger that was boozier than the tap version, I'm attributing this change to the serving format. It's also low in carbonation, but again, I'm forgiving it. It has an enamel-peeling bitterness and stickiness that made it hard to taste anything afterward. I was a little stupid in opening it so early in the night.

D: I still find that Pliny the Younger takes the cake when you're talking about triple IPAs. I prefer the sweeter presence of that beer to the bitterness of this one. But I've also had the former under optimal serving conditions, and this one less so; I wouldn't be surprised if that makes a difference. This is a great beer. I'd love to have it again. But given most of the trade demands for it, I'd probably get some fresh Hopsickle on tap, instead...

Arbitrator, Oct 16, 2010
4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice caramel orange with a light white head of tiny bubbles. Smell of grapefruit citrus, caramel, sugar, cotton candy and well rounded as the sweetness and bitterness seem to equal each other.

Taste of delicious citrus. Possibly the strongest citrus I have had in an Imperial IPA. When drinking it, I could imagine biting into a fresh orange and having similar tastes. Sweet sticky sugar with nice caramelized flavors of pine, citrus and grapefruit with a great thick body. There is a very light carbonation to this coming out of a freshly tapped keg poured earlier in the day. The flavors all come together so smoothly that it is hard to imagine this being a 10.5% beer. In one sip you may find the sweetness coming out where the next you will be thinking about how bitter it is. Both complement each other to the point I could not determine which was more prevalent. Very well done and a treat to have.

alpinebryant, Oct 16, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Jason for procuring a growler of this highly regarded brew. Served in a Rodenbach tulip.

A - Not much hiss from the growler, which was literally filled to the brim. A hard pour yields a finger of big-bubbled orange-tinged foam that dissipates to a chunky ring, leaving behind spotty lace. Subsequent pours were normal, with a more smooth and creamy appearance to the foam. The body is a pleasant lightly hazed golden peach color.

S - Huge citrus rind and zest, light dank and catty notes, candied citrus and touch of tropical fruits, burnt sugary malt and a touch of alcohol. There's also a sugar character that reminds me of the Flossmoor beers that contain Jaggery - a quick trip to Ratebeer confirms the addition of dextrose.

T - This was the hardest category for me to evaluate. Around mid-palate the beer really takes off, with intense citrus and bruising bitterness in the finish that lingers well into the aftertaste. It's just the initial flavor seems a big unfocused and flaccid. If I could, this would probably get a 4.25, but I'm going to round up as I was a little hard on the appearance of a beer from a week-old growler sent by mail.

M - Body is big, thick, and juicy, but offset with some low carbonation tingle. There's a bit of warmth, but not an offensive amount by any stretch. Super enamel-melting and resiny residual feel.

D - I really liked this, even with the alcohol and bitterness mounting quickly after the first glass. Still, I couldn't keep myself from returning to the growler throughout the evening. I know this is supposed to be a "triple" IPA, but I prefer more medium and punchy DIPAs that have a bit less sugar character. Still this was a very enjoyable brew and I'd gladly have it again.

MasterSki, Oct 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to jrallen34 for hooking us up with this.

A - An opaque orangish amber with a late rising head that had decent retention. Nice stick on the sides with some very fine lace.

S - Smells very light, an interesting citrusy flavor, smells something like a tropical fruit that I just can't place. Burnt sugar, and a nice malt backbone.

T - A nicely light drinking triple IPA. Citrusy hops, you can definately pick up on the added sugar in this one. The bittering hops in this is quite suble but picks up steam on the end and gives you a nice bite that really gets you. An interesting fruity taste that is also like the smell that I can't place. Alcohol is quite well hidden, only burn comes with the sugar at the end.

M - Lighter side of medium body with moderate carbonation. Good feel for this beer.

D - Very drinkable triple ipa, alchohol quite well hidden, a little sweet that keeps it at a 4.

AgentZero, Oct 14, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

3/6/2011 Re-review thanks to Chris. This is batch 2, drank from a counter-pressurized growler. This batch is more hot, way too much alcohol on the finish. Still pretty good, just not the epic level of the first batch, still recommend trying.

Growler provided by sleepydave, drank into my Narke tulip...The top pops without an whiff and I'm a bit concerned, then I see theres only about a half centimeter of air, so I'm good. Pours a dark peach, nice color. At first it pours without any head, then as it settles about a full finger of light tope head. Pretty good retention, but really nice lacing; thin drops around the glass but super sticky...The aroma is not at as strong as expected, but in a good way; doesn't overpower. Very light grapefruit on the front, light sugar, and sweet pine hops. The backbone is light pine and alcohol but exactly what you are looking, makes me really want to drink it...The taste is a super nice perfect combination of sweet and bitter. The sweetness doesn't really show as fruits, but sugar and alcohol. The finish is hoppy, gives you want you want but not at all harsh or so much hops it distracts you from drinking. The finish is pine resin, sugar, alcohol and a little metal....The feel is outstanding. Sticks to your palate start to finish, its full, coating, makes you lick your lips, a smooth and lasting finish...Incredibly drinkable.

Another beer that was crazily hyped but actually lived up to expectations. Would LOVE to try this fresh.

jrallen34, Oct 14, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler, thanks Jason.

A - Pours a clear orangish/yellow, white head that dissipates to a thin film, very sticky lacing all along the sides of the glass, and a thin ring around the glass.

S - Sweet burnt sugars, lots of malts, bitter citrus notes, dankness. Pretty damn solid combo of stuff going on here.

T - Sweet malts and sugars up front followed by an onslaught of bitter hoppy dankness. It's a transition from one to another, but holy shit, the hops are beating my palate into submission.

M - Medium bodied, syrupy feel, smooth, light carbonation.

D - Now on my second glass, I'm feeling pretty good. Really enjoyed this one and hopefully, I'll get to try some other offerings from this brewery.

Sean9689, Oct 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for sharing this growler last night.

Poured a hazy orange amber color. Light beige head that kept a thin lace with moderate stick on the sides.

Smell was very fresh and floral, with big citrus and pine aromas in particular. Very fruity, with grapefruit and sweeter tangerine aromas, plus the resiny pine. Really nice.

Taste really showcased some nice hop flavor without overwhelming the palate with bitterness. Citrus and pine were the dominant characteristics again, with some orange sweetness and more bitter, pithy grapefruit flavor as well. The bitterness was substantial, however, and I found that by the time I was done with a second glass it seemed much more bitter than when I started. Malt flavor was pretty minimal, some pale malt sweetness was all. A hop showcase for sure.

Mouthfeel was maybe not as creamy as you'd expect at this level of hoppiness, but was still quite smooth and clean in the finish. I did get a quick shot of alcohol burn at one point, as well.

Glad I got to try this as it's a really good DIPA. Tons of hop flavor with a sneaky, mounting bitterness that takes its toll on the palate before you realize it. So much flavor that it goes down awfully easy, however. One of the best DIPAs on the East Coast for sure.

number1bum, Oct 11, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -15.4%

Drank on-tap at the Blackback Pub & Flyshop, Waterbury, VT
Served in a cervoise

A creamy, light tan, one-finger cap of froth topped the hazy, amber liquid. As the beer sat, the head dissipated to a thin film and the body turned nearly transparent.

Loads of candied grapefruit peel came through in the aroma. Super dank and hoppy. Citrusy and rather sweet. Some brown sugar notes were apparent.

The taste started out fairly balanced but soon turned overwhelmingly hoppy and bitter. Pithy, dry, grapefruit peel dominated the flavor profile. Oily and resinous. Orange notes came through as well. The finish was outrageously piney, dry and bitter.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth with a fine, moderate effervescence. For a beer of this magnitude, however, I was hoping for a slightly bigger body.

Drinkability certainly was not this beer's strong point. It was so dry and bitter that I actually had a bit of difficulty putting down all twelve ounces.

Ephraim calls itself a "triple IPA" and it certainly lives up to its classification. If you prefer your IPAs abrasively hoppy and bitter, then you would likely enjoy this beer.

Damian, Oct 11, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoying this brew with some friends to celebrate finishing up my first marathon. Courtesy of mymrrngjckt who received this from the brewer, I'm looking forward to trying this.

Appearance: Poured from a cool looking growler, the beer is a cloudy, rich honey color. Not a lot of head on this one, but I'll attribute that to being in a growler. The thin ring of head around the edge of the beer does leave behind some thick soapy lacing as I swirl it in the glass. Looks good so far...

Smell: Without a doubt, this is the best smelling, hoppy beer that I have ever smelled. Huge bitter citrusy hops without any of that pesky malt getting in the way.

Taste: A fantastic tasting, delightfully hoppy beer! Despite the lack of malt in the nose, there's actually a bit of malty sweetness to at least attempt some balance, but there's no countering the huge about of hops in this brew. Simply put, Pliney has bet it's match. Bitter grapefruit, and just downright awesome.

Mouthfeel: A little lacking in carbonation, but again I have to attribute that to being from a growler. The brew is full bodied and has an interesting sort of hoppy, oily sort of quality to it. Potent for sure.

Drinkability: I love this beer. Loaded with hops, and even though it's got a relatively high ABV you don't realize it while your drinking it. If you are a hop head, you need to try this beer. Highly recommend.

krisandajt, Oct 11, 2010