Ephraim - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,469
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-28-2010

Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim.

280 Theoretical IBU

Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.
4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

3/6/2011 Re-review thanks to Chris. This is batch 2, drank from a counter-pressurized growler. This batch is more hot, way too much alcohol on the finish. Still pretty good, just not the epic level of the first batch, still recommend trying.

Growler provided by sleepydave, drank into my Narke tulip...The top pops without an whiff and I'm a bit concerned, then I see theres only about a half centimeter of air, so I'm good. Pours a dark peach, nice color. At first it pours without any head, then as it settles about a full finger of light tope head. Pretty good retention, but really nice lacing; thin drops around the glass but super sticky...The aroma is not at as strong as expected, but in a good way; doesn't overpower. Very light grapefruit on the front, light sugar, and sweet pine hops. The backbone is light pine and alcohol but exactly what you are looking, makes me really want to drink it...The taste is a super nice perfect combination of sweet and bitter. The sweetness doesn't really show as fruits, but sugar and alcohol. The finish is hoppy, gives you want you want but not at all harsh or so much hops it distracts you from drinking. The finish is pine resin, sugar, alcohol and a little metal....The feel is outstanding. Sticks to your palate start to finish, its full, coating, makes you lick your lips, a smooth and lasting finish...Incredibly drinkable.

Another beer that was crazily hyped but actually lived up to expectations. Would LOVE to try this fresh. (1,485 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured into a HF tulip

pours a dull golden yellow, light frothy white head. faint retention.

heavy on the citrus and earthy pine. dominating tangerine and orange.

bitter and strong pine resin. very earthy and citrus hop forward. red grapefruit through the finish. malt body is faint and light, no detection of alcohol.

light body with a very moderate carbonation, lots of bite. enhances bitterness.

overall, good. very hop dominate. (437 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%

Growler. Pours a golden yellow amber color with a very white head that forms a nice 1 finger head of foam that false rather quickly. I can smell the hop aroma as I pour this out into the glass. Very aromatic with nice tropical type hop notes like pineapple and mango, also some citrus rind. Medium mouthfeel. Fruity malty sweetness gives way to a nice bitter hop bite. Wow, bitter bite, might be a tad much. Very slight alcohol notes but otherwise the alcohol is fairly well hidden. (482 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%

Growler shared by the king of growlers himself, drabmuh at a tasting in the woods. If drabmuh does not bring a growler to a tasting...something must be wrong with the world.

Really looking forward to this as I love a good DIPA and this one was pretty goddamn nice. Pours a nice gold color with great carbonation and nice sizable head leaving some nice lacing.

Lost of citrus comes through in the nose with no real malt to speak of which is ideal. Some alcohol is detected, but not much.

Taste is rather bright with a lot of citrus and some sweetness. Some peach notes with hints of grapefruit shine through.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style and I don't think that I would have a problem finishing the entire goddamn growler myself.

Thanks again Matt! (760 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

Served from a 32 ounce growler into a snifter. The source was a generous sharing by fellow BA CosmicEvan who had it smiled kindly after a recent brewery release.

Appears a beautiful golden apricot with a touch of rouge at its center. Small foamy head is subsiding at a normal rate with a steady effervescent bubbling occurring toward the top half inch.

Smells very sweet and rich... Like apricot jello. There's a lot if tropical fruit that comes through and I'm really excited to taste what I hope is a heavy hitter.

Tastes really fruity and bitter in a pleasing way. Grapefruit and pineapple are prominent. It finishes, though, with a bit if a medicinal flavor that reminds me of dark red Robitussin.

Mouthfeel is pleasing and filled with fresh effervescence. It was pretty creamy and quite fresh from the growler.

Overall a good beer with a great start but its finish leaves a little bit to be desired. (914 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

750ml growler. Teku glass.

A: Pours a straw/pale color with two fingers of cloud-like, wispy white head. Very good retention but chaotic, thin lacing.

S: Liquid caramel, candied citrus (tangerine), white grape, grass, bready character. Nice complexity on the nose.

T: Bread and biscuit are the most prominent, with undertones of grapefruit peel, tangerine, a little white grape, finishing with a mild to moderate bitterness which is offset slightly by lingering sugar and citrus.

M: Medium body, soft texture, with medium, somewhat sharp carbonation. No alcohol is evident; in fact, this drinks like a pale ale.

O: A solid and well constructed--though unexceptional--pale ale. (Wait, wut. This is a DIPA?) Drinkability is average: it kind of grates on me after half a pint partly due to the bitterness. Sigh, there are so many better options that are much more readily available. (885 characters)

On Tap At Capone's.

A- Ephraim looks the part, shades of golden orange with some tangerine looks. a nice amount of white foam on top that leaves minor stickage. Decent retention, while some swirls brings it back.

S- A really pungent bouquet of hop aroma blasting out. Smells of ripe tropics such as grapefruit and pineapple with a decent amount of pine. A array of hop types in here, probably including Summit(slight onion), thanks for the tip Bill.

T- First sips, Ephraim just comes out swinging. An assult of hop flavor and tropic mixed in with pine in the beginning. Some malt biscuit barely makes a whimper in between. Just a bit of summit hop flavor under a bevy of others. It's interesting and worth the praise, just not my top pick.

M- Like said, hops and bitterness basically envade the mouth. Astringent and really grabs ahold of the tounge. Medium bodied and carbed up from the tap. Great beer burps afterwards and the flavor sticks around with me forever.

O- A great beer and a banging double eye. Very drinkable, but the bitterness can deter for a bit. the tropics are not as large as expected, Abner really shines in that department. This is another beast. (1,174 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -8.4%

Chilled growler into a glass. Thanks Kristin!

A: Pours a hazy golden peach body with not a ton of head. The growler has been in transit for a week and it was apparently filled right to the top; the paper towel wrapped around the neck showed that it might have leaked in transit, so I'm forgiving any carbonation issues in appearance or mouthfeel. This special is today only! Anyway, the foam is lightly beige in color; it slowly comes out of solution, then vanishes very quickly. Some spotty lace left behind.

S: Carbonation issues or no, it is not affecting the aroma at all. A nice, pungent blend of orange rind, candied grapefruit, pineapple, passionfruit, and a touch of mossy weed (I wrote this down as 'dank' to widespread mockery by the tasting group, but I stand by it). There's an expressive sugariness and booze.

T: Initially the taste is a rough bitterness. I'm unused to this, considering that I mostly drink West Coast IPAs with a lot of hop flavor but not necessarily a lot of hop bitterness. But the flavors come together pretty nicely: orange rind, passionfruit, pineapple. Grapefruit and substantial sugar cookie give the impression of candied grapefruit. The mossy, weedy flavors are particularly noticeable here; they pull into the finish with a sticky, resinous presence. This reminds me heavily of fresh Moylan's Hopsickle.

M: Full, expressive flavors abound. There's a touch of booze that I don't enjoy, but having had a 3-week old growler of Pliny the Younger that was boozier than the tap version, I'm attributing this change to the serving format. It's also low in carbonation, but again, I'm forgiving it. It has an enamel-peeling bitterness and stickiness that made it hard to taste anything afterward. I was a little stupid in opening it so early in the night.

D: I still find that Pliny the Younger takes the cake when you're talking about triple IPAs. I prefer the sweeter presence of that beer to the bitterness of this one. But I've also had the former under optimal serving conditions, and this one less so; I wouldn't be surprised if that makes a difference. This is a great beer. I'd love to have it again. But given most of the trade demands for it, I'd probably get some fresh Hopsickle on tap, instead... (2,251 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -8.4%

On tap at another great event/gathering at Capones. Matt continues to roll out the heavy guns this month, with this event following Russian River and Firestone. Matt, you spoil us so.

A - Crisp and colorful, dominated by a yellow/orange profile with a nice white head that pulls back and leaves a moderate level of stickiness on the glass.

S - For my money, this is the shining part of the beer. Grapefruit, citrus, and pine all come forward in an intoxicating manner.

T - Now I will temper this somewhat by saying that hop-bombs are not my favorite style. This one assaults you with bitterness, strong pine, and citrus flavors. An edge of malt lies in the background, but the real punch is in the hoppy frutiness and pine flavors. Personally, a little too much for me but again not my preferred style. I leave it to the experts to debate this v. Younger and the other leaders of the DIPA pack.

M - Tart with the bitterness again dominating the experience.

O - OK, so I am glad that I tried it but I would not offer up my cellar to obtain this beer simply because it is not my cup of tea (or hops). Still, glad to have had the opportunity to try this beer since so many talk about it. Thanks again Matt for another great event. (1,234 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -8.7%

A - For a "TIPA" or one of 10.5% ABV, this beer is golden, plenty of activation in the glass and looks like a standard low ABV West Coast IPA. You see right through the glass...very impressive here.

S - Mango's, Pineapple and oranges with a candy sweetness to those fruits I mention...and grassy pine and earth. Nothing overpowering, actually a bit more mellow than I was expecting but very pleasant nevertheless.

T - Much of the same as the nose. Not overpowering but everything plays well together. A little boozy on the back end and the pine plays an equal role here as the tropical fruits. This is a bitter beer, I'd imagine overly bitter for most or some, but for a DIPA of this ABV it works awesome for making this extremely drinkable. Malt backbone there, but plays second fiddle to the hops. Dry and crisp upon finish. Leaving you ready for more - Really reminds me of RRBC's IPA profile...

M - This beer drinks VERY light and feels light for a 10.5% DIPA. Too easy. Like a 7% IPA but make no mistake, you do taste the booze in the finish. Very well balanced. Very much reminiscent of the PtE and PtY mouthfeel here... Blind, I'd assume this was a new RRBC IPA. The ONLY reason this aspect does not receive a 5 from me is that the booze could be masked a bit more. PtY and Terrapin Hopzilla side project 12 does a better job of this.

O - This is a hop-head's must try at least once. Does it live up to the hype....for me almost but just shy. It's a very very good beer but with all the madness lately surrounding it....there are others that match up. Although....I need a on tap specimen to really back that statement up I'm fully aware. Great stuff! (1,663 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a growler into a snifter. Thanks goes out to gn0sis for sending this my way. Split with airohead2001 and z-pack.

A: Gold in color with a 1 finger white head that has pretty good retention and lacing. Typically, I prefer a little more amber in my DIPAs.

S: There's lots of tropical fruits and some citrus on the nose. Mostly I get pear, orange, and strawberry with a little bit of guava and banana. There's some earthiness at the back end.

T: When this one is very cold there's a lot of sweet fruit and citrus flavors, but as it warms it becomes chalkier. Actually it becomes quite chalky as it warms. I would really recommend drinking this as cold as possible, as that is when I think it's at its best. Also, while there are great fruit and some citrus flavors, this beer is slightly sweeter than I like for the style

M: I thought the carbonation and viscosity were appropriate and above average, although I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste. It was just too chalky at the finish, and not as crisp and clean as I would have liked. Also, while the start of the beer is great, I like a little bit of hop bite at the end, and I feel that this beer doesn't have to much of a bitterness at the finish. In summary, it's a sweet, fruity, pretty good DIPA.

O: Overall, if this was on tap near me I would probably have it frequently. If I had to trade a difficult to come by beer for it, I most likely wouldn't do it. In terms of drinkability, this beer gets a lot of credit for going down easy and masking the 10.5% ABV. (1,530 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -10%

I received this from a trade and split it at Max's during Baltimore Beer Week. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden/light amber with a half finger of white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and extremely hoppy. Some malt, but mostly citrus hops. There is a mild burn at the end.

Taste: This beer can only be described as a hop bomb. Sweet citrus hops crush the tongue immediately. The finish is very bitter with a taste of citrus peel and some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a good beer, but I liked Abner more when I tried that. This is intense and I couldn't have done more than one glass. (718 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Big thanks to mtardiff for providing this gem in trade. Marc is an excellent trade partner.

Pours with a finger of thick tight bright white head that shows excellent retention. The beer is a bright clear brass color with no visible carbonation. Some nice lace clings to the glass. At times the deposits are quite thick.

Bright sweet juicy aroma. Not quite as floral as I would have guessed. A touch of grapefruit, but much more juicy sweet thick fruit. A slight whiff of the alcohol to come.

Lots going on here. The flavor is as thick as the aroma. Initial sweetness, flips to thick fruit and then a moment of alcohol. This then melds into a nice finish that is part light malt and resin like bitterness from thick green hops. No doubt a nice beer, but the alcohol is a bit too present for my liking. A pretty thick dose of mango comes through as I drink this. This mixes well with the alcohol flavor.

Pretty thick and sticky DPA. Again the word juicy applies.
I am surprised that this beer is getting some of the highest scores from Hill Farmstead. It’s good, but does not reach the heights of some of their other brews. Having said that, this is rarified air since most of their beers are quite excellent.

Thanks Marc (1,227 characters)

Just another SICK growler provided by hopscotch. Clear golden pour with small frothy white head. Hop and peach aromas. An easy sippin’ DIPA with a somewhat thinner body. Tangy/citrusy hop flavors with a subtle spicy finish. Not as bold and in your face as some DIPAs, but still very good... (292 characters)

1579th Review on BA
Growler to HF Stem
750ml

Thanks to Rudzud for this one

App- A bit lighter in the glass than Abner was. This was more yellow tinged in color. A smaller one finger head. This was still a bit hazy but less dense in the glass than Abner was. A couple dots of cling and lace. Falls quickly vs. the fluffy Abner.

Smell- A nice nose for a DIPA. Doesnt blow me away but its solid. A couple notches below Abner but yet better than 90% of other DIPAs. A small bit of creamy hops and a bit of citrus. Not sure what fruit combo this one is. More of a dense/dank aroma.

Taste- This was a good DIPA, not a great one. Better than 90-95% of whats out there. It was a nice creamy flavor with some good hoppy bitter behind it. This one on the others from HF was more dank/and dense on the zest behind it. A bit more grapefruit and peach flavors.

Mouth- A nice body similar to Abner with a bit of creamy hops and some creaminess remaining. A nice amount of bitter zest and fruits remain. Call this a solid medium body DIPA with a nice wet carbonation behind it.

Drink- Well the fearsome twosome from HF have been taken down. I liked Abner more but wont say no to this again. (1,181 characters)

Mista brought it all to Darkness Day, thanks! My only "tick" from the said event.

Hazy, amber color. Duh. Looks like any and every Hill Farmstead hoppy beer and I am pleased just by the looks! Grainy and piney aroma. Very clean bitterness but well supported by a clean malt base, if that doesn't seem oxymoron-ic. A good hop flavor heavy on pine sap and citrus rind. Glad to have had it. Thank you again! (405 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks to glazeman for this one. Winter is breaking in Chicago's western burbs. Bring on the sun. This beer is poured into a snifter from a bigass crazy looking growler.

The appearance is nothing too special - light yellow with a one finger head; pretty clear; reminds me of Sculpin.

Smell is fruity and boozy - mango, grapefruit, and some nutty maltiness in the finish.

Taste is good, but there is a lack of a fresh hop bite. Too sweet and too fruity.

Mouthfeel is sort of chalky and syrupy. Nice, but maybe a little too thick for a DIPA.

Overall, this is a good beer. But no, it does not live up to the hype. (619 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 mL growler into a tulip. Thanks to CharlieMurphy for shipping me this WaLe.

Appearance: The pour is hazy copper color, kind of a faint color. A light creamy head forms on the pour and leaves some light lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full of caramel malt, some honey, pineapple, a little grapefruit, and some herbal notes. More sweet than bitter.

Taste: The flavor starts sweet and retains a honey and caramel fruity sweetness throughout each sip. The hoppy notes are full of pineapple, dank notes, spicy pine, and a little bit of grapefruit. The finish is bitter, but the sweetness really resonates with on my palate.

Mouthfeel: The feel is lighter than the 10.5% ABV would lead me to have expected. It starts sweet and fnishes a little more dry, with a fair amount of hop resin.

Overall: For a sweet DIPA, this was pretty good. Compared to the whole range of DIPA's this is slightly better than mediocre. (940 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Drank on-tap at the Blackback Pub & Flyshop, Waterbury, VT
Served in a cervoise

A creamy, light tan, one-finger cap of froth topped the hazy, amber liquid. As the beer sat, the head dissipated to a thin film and the body turned nearly transparent.

Loads of candied grapefruit peel came through in the aroma. Super dank and hoppy. Citrusy and rather sweet. Some brown sugar notes were apparent.

The taste started out fairly balanced but soon turned overwhelmingly hoppy and bitter. Pithy, dry, grapefruit peel dominated the flavor profile. Oily and resinous. Orange notes came through as well. The finish was outrageously piney, dry and bitter.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth with a fine, moderate effervescence. For a beer of this magnitude, however, I was hoping for a slightly bigger body.

Drinkability certainly was not this beer's strong point. It was so dry and bitter that I actually had a bit of difficulty putting down all twelve ounces.

Ephraim calls itself a "triple IPA" and it certainly lives up to its classification. If you prefer your IPAs abrasively hoppy and bitter, then you would likely enjoy this beer. (1,133 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to KickInTheChalice for this one. Pour from a 750 ml growler into a Parra Duvel tulip.

Pours an unusual golden orange color. When held up to the light it's a light golden orange.

Lots of honey and caramel malt on the aroma - then it fades into dank hops and with a hint of citrus and tropical fruit. Really impressive.

Taste doesn't live up to the nose - bitter hops dominate - not as much malt and sweetness as the nose indicates. It's still sweet, but the sweetness is overwhelmed by piney, hoppy bitterness. It lacks the crisp clarity of sweet then hoppy that I appreciate in other sweet DIPAs that I've had.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium bodied, fairly heavy for a DIPA, decently carbed, but not as creamy or smooth as would be ideal.

Overall - a solid beer, but doesn't deserve it's top 100 status in my book. (822 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oh, just one of six half growlers I received recently.

Pours a hazy light apricot with a sheet of light white foam. Smell is juicy. Some pear, some tangerine, some melons and pineappel, and hints of resin, but mostly sweet juicy hops. This is an approach to hops and grain I've not really experienced before, this is really innovative - this does not really smell like an IPA/IIPA. More like a sweet biscuit with some preserves on it. Flavor follows suit, really unassuming for the style. Not overly syrupy sweet, like some IIPAs, but slightly sweet with lots more juicy fruit, biscuity malt and now some bitterness and a little more hop character as it warms. Full bodied with sharp carb and a semi dry finish. This is a really fine brew, I'm not sure I would go nuts for it, and would likely prefer a few cans of Heady Topper over this, or several others as well. i might argue the beer is a little too heavy on the Dextrose, like Hop Henge in the last couple years. (970 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -14%

From 750mL swingtop growler to snifter on 11/13/11 at a small tasting with friends
*From notes

-- Yet again, many thanks for sharing, Bill --

A: A really healthy presentation. Rich, golden amber and when properly poured, a bubbly 1.25 finger head and decent lacing appear. Really nice retention, as the head lingers for some time.

S: It's floral, yet rather subdued. It's earthy, malty and signifigantly herbal. Lovely, it's really a pleasure to let this drift in and out of the nostrils.

T: This is intense stuff. For as laid back as the bouquet is, the flavor profile is quite the opposite. There's less fruit here, and more of an intensly toasted, almost burnt onion quality to it. It's most certainly rich, and the finish showcases hints of ripe strawberries.

M: The texture is suitable, yet I wish there was more to it. A bit undercarbed, which I'll forgive as it is coming from a growler. But to pack that big of a punch into an almost flabby body is not what I'd call desirable.

O: Hill Farmstead's Ephraim is a very, very good beer that, in my opinion, never reaches the heights of greatness. It certainly knows where it wants to go, yet it wasn't where I felt it needed to be. More of a sipping DIPA, it's one to be shared, as I don't know how one would get down massive quantities of this.

Of the two hoppier HF offerings we imbibed that afternoon, I would have no reservations reaching for their Abner each and every time, as I feel it to be the better and substantially more balanced offering. (1,512 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -15.1%

750mL growler thanks to oteyj. Pours a clear amber with a modest white head. Looks very different from other samples I’ve had which looked glowin yellow. Nose here is pretty sticky, sugary, muted, candy, maple, orange, 3C hops. Decent. Taste up front is sticky with some very obvious booziness moving to vanilla and maple. But overall, sticky and resinous. Not vey fruity or tropical like I was expecting. Very different from the Double Citra. Good stuff, yummy, but nothing too exciting.

Tap at Capone’s. Definitely not good enough to warrant the iPhone theft that happened to my girlfriend. Small, dense off-white head on a dirty, ugly yellow. Nose is caramel and meaty jackfruit. Taste is boozy, spicy, loads of candied orange slices and orange peel. Sticky, candy body. Butterscotch comes through. Not bad- pretty enjoyable but the opposite of what I was expecting. 10/17/2011 7/3/8/4/15=3.7 (900 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Murky and hazy, gold/orange color, nice two finger thick and creamy head.

S: Sweet tropical fruit, some honey dew, some sweet powdered sugar.

T: Sweet upfront with some breadiness. Honey dew and sugar character upfront then becomes slightly tropical.

M: My only things is I wish it wasn't so sweet and sugary for a DIPA. Body wise it was nice.

O: Not a bad beer but had high hopes for this one, Abner is definitely is a notch above this one. (451 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -17.8%

The second of two growlers I picked up last weekend.

Poured into a Duvel Tulip and leaves a small off-white head that goes quickly. Lots of bubbles coming up through a light yellow beer. Pretty clear.

Smells really nice with pine flavored resiny hops up front. Really not much else. A bit of booziness to the smell.

Taste is lighter than expected. A bit fruity, hops come on strong with mango, papaya and other island tastes. Really no malt to speak of. Booze comes through stong after the third sip but that's to be expected.

Mouth feel is thin and dry. A bit champagne like. Kind of tingly mouth feel as with most of the HF beers I have tried so far. Not something I love.

Overall I liked it but not a lot of depth. Hoppy and thin with that signature bite and tingly, numbing feeling. Where is the flavor? Dangerously close to proving that if you dump enough hops into it the geeks will flock to it. (911 characters)

Ephraim from Hill Farmstead Brewery