2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ephraim - Hill Farmstead Brewery

EphraimEphraim

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim.

280 Theoretical IBU

Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 621 | Reviews: 196 | Show All Ratings:
rhinos00

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to the most generous BA I know. Thanks man, I owe you big time! Growler shared amongst friends and consumed exactly 6 days after the growler was filled.

A- Pours a clear, vibrant amber color. Produced two fingers width of white head. Some lacing as beer was consumed. Very pretty to look at.

S- An abundance of tropical fruits and hops. Very juicy, with mango, papaya, and pineapple at the forefront. Just a great hop profile in the nose. I could smell this all day.

T- I was expecting a hop bomb, but this was more on the balanced side. The tropical aromas are well represented here. Not too much hop bitterness. Very juicy with a bit of a caramel presence in the finish. Restrained, but clean prominent flavors.

M- Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Really being picky here, but could of coated the palate a little better.

D- At 10.5% this beer is very dangerous. Alcohol is nearly undetectable and the tropical fruit flavors beg you to come back for more and more.

Overall, an excellent DIPA and one that I am extremely grateful to have tried, much thanks to a very generous BA. This is a very tropical fruit forward DIPA that is nicely balanced. I think it could have used a little more hop bitterness though. Recommended.

03-25-2011 16:52:36 | More by rhinos00
nhindian

4.6/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2L growler poured into a tulip. Big thanks to CharlieMurphy for this, props Nick!

A - Pours a golden amber, crystal clear as well. A huge fluffy head gradually fills in the extra space in the glass. Retention is good for the amount of alcohol in here, and lacing is on par with some of the best in the style. A visually impressive beer!

S - After my first smell I'm getting flashbacks to Bell's Hopslam in the fact that there's a ton of citrus and fruit in here. The grapefruit is bitter to a vengeance, taking exception to the IPAs I've quaffed in days past. You can almost smell the hop juice oozing out of this beer. Besides the grapefruit, there's also a good bit of orange and mango in here as well, and perhaps just a bit of alcohol.

T - I take my first sip and I can almost hear my teeth scream and this beer rips the enamel straight off of them as the 280 IBUs cut through my palate. This beer features a cornucopia of citrus, most prominently the grapefruit. This is a big hop bomb, but not in the typical West Coast style. The finish is long and very bitter, with mango the strongest flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy with good carbonation. The hops really do a number on the palate, and its very resiny. The tongue feels a bit heavier after a glass of this.

D - Drinkability is high. This beer is a monster and has a ton of flavor and hops. An incredible offering from a hopefully up and coming brewery!

03-25-2011 00:03:22 | More by nhindian
russwbeck

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pretty hard to pour from the otherwise cool looking growler. Yellow pour with hints of orange. Nice fluffy white head with decent retention and nice lacing.

S: The hop smell here is huge, pretty daunting. Piney and citrus hops mostly. Not getting a lot of malts or alcohol.

T: I was expecting to be killed by hops on this one, but it really has a nice taste. Citrus hops start it off, and lead into piney hops. A bit of alcohol on the backend. Hardly any malts. More fruity than floral.

MF: Light with a nice amount of carbonation. Pretty bitter, but actually not a lot of alcohol. Very crisp.

O: When I saw it had 280 IBUs I was pretty intimidated, but this is crazy drinkable and very good overall.

03-24-2011 23:58:18 | More by russwbeck
Lunch

4.18/5  rDev -9.3%

Growler shared by the king of growlers himself, drabmuh at a tasting in the woods. If drabmuh does not bring a growler to a tasting...something must be wrong with the world.

Really looking forward to this as I love a good DIPA and this one was pretty goddamn nice. Pours a nice gold color with great carbonation and nice sizable head leaving some nice lacing.

Lost of citrus comes through in the nose with no real malt to speak of which is ideal. Some alcohol is detected, but not much.

Taste is rather bright with a lot of citrus and some sweetness. Some peach notes with hints of grapefruit shine through.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style and I don't think that I would have a problem finishing the entire goddamn growler myself.

Thanks again Matt!

03-24-2011 06:07:19 | More by Lunch
Cascade77

Vermont

3.68/5  rDev -20.2%

The second of two growlers I picked up last weekend.

Poured into a Duvel Tulip and leaves a small off-white head that goes quickly. Lots of bubbles coming up through a light yellow beer. Pretty clear.

Smells really nice with pine flavored resiny hops up front. Really not much else. A bit of booziness to the smell.

Taste is lighter than expected. A bit fruity, hops come on strong with mango, papaya and other island tastes. Really no malt to speak of. Booze comes through stong after the third sip but that's to be expected.

Mouth feel is thin and dry. A bit champagne like. Kind of tingly mouth feel as with most of the HF beers I have tried so far. Not something I love.

Overall I liked it but not a lot of depth. Hoppy and thin with that signature bite and tingly, numbing feeling. Where is the flavor? Dangerously close to proving that if you dump enough hops into it the geeks will flock to it.

03-23-2011 19:57:33 | More by Cascade77
Huhzubendah

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by drabmuh (the growler king). Thanks Matt!

The beer appears clear and golden hued. The head is thick, has last retention, and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a bouquet of fresh hops and citrus, with a very slight hint of alcohol.

The flavor is bold and fantastic, with the expected hop and citrus coming through beautifully. A truck load of bitterness and fresh hops assault the palate in the best possible way. Alcohol presence gently reveals itself near the finish, but I wouldn't have guessed this was 10.5% abv. Wow, this is incredibly drinkable at that potency. This brew is certainly worthy of attention and praise. I thoroughly enjoyed Ephraim and would relish the opportunity to have it again.

03-21-2011 17:45:34 | More by Huhzubendah
mdfb79

4.47/5  rDev -3%

From 03/19/11 notes. Big thanks to drabmuh for sharing this one; thanks Matt. Got to try a 2 oz. pour of this at EBF last week and loved it so was excited to get a bigger pour of it this time.

a - Pours a clear orange color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of grapefruit, citrus hops, sweet fruity malts, tropical fruits, melon, and maybe a hint of pine hops. Lots of hops and different fruits coming out in the smell, it's reall nice.

t - Taste follows the nose; lots of citrus hops, tropical fruits, grapefruit, melon. Also a crazy amount of bitterness up front. I wish it had been slightly less bitter, but it was still very good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Huge bitter kick up front.

d - A really nice DIPA; one I would certainly try and trade for again. Lots of citrus hops and different fruits in the nose and if you like that bitter taste in DIPA's, you'll love this one. Would like to have again.

03-21-2011 17:22:08 | More by mdfb79
drabmuh

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Growler sent to me by baconsausage, thanks! Shared at a recent beer tasting that went from zero to epic in three minutes. Served in a Hill Farmstead becher glass (thanks bacon), because I am able to.

Beer is amber, light amber and mostly clear with a wonderful thick head of small and medium bubbles, head has some retention to it too. Some lacing left on the walls of my HF glass, the lacing probably only works in the right glassware.

Aroma is awesome. It is hoppy, like a fruit salad, with mango and peaches and cantaloupe and papaya. Complex, fruity, hoppy, good.

Beer is medium to light in body and really really bitter. This beer likely maxes out the bitterness scale for beer in general but specifically this beer is quite quite bitter. There is very little hint of malt at the lead off and there is an unfolding on flavors on the midpalate with a variety of fruity esters from the hops. The beer has good connectivity and I thoroughly enjoyed two full pours of this beer. A great great great IPA for sure. I could hurt myself with a growler of this beer.

03-21-2011 16:31:09 | More by drabmuh
craytonic

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Hazy straw-amber-apricot-peach pour, good head and lacing

Smell: This beer is huge. Enormous, over-the-top load of hops. Pine resin, grapefruit, tropical fruits, papaya. Slightly sweet

Taste: Just enormous in the hop department. It is like they backed a dump truck full of hops and forced it into this growler. Just huge. Tropical fruits, citrus, grapefruit, orange. A bit sweet. Bitterness is perfect, strong and present without being overbearing. That said, I think they dialed it up to 11 and should have stopped at 10.

Mouthfeel: Again, this is a big beer. You don't gulp it. You don't drink it. You sip it, otherwise it will overpower you.

Drinkability/Overall: This is so huge it is hard to consume in quantity, but it does run with the big boy DIPAs. Well done. This thing is a hop grenade, although I prefer the boy king / pliny the younger type ones.

03-20-2011 16:58:53 | More by craytonic
glazeman

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a growler into a snifter. Thanks goes out to gn0sis for sending this my way. Split with airohead2001 and z-pack.

A: Gold in color with a 1 finger white head that has pretty good retention and lacing. Typically, I prefer a little more amber in my DIPAs.

S: There's lots of tropical fruits and some citrus on the nose. Mostly I get pear, orange, and strawberry with a little bit of guava and banana. There's some earthiness at the back end.

T: When this one is very cold there's a lot of sweet fruit and citrus flavors, but as it warms it becomes chalkier. Actually it becomes quite chalky as it warms. I would really recommend drinking this as cold as possible, as that is when I think it's at its best. Also, while there are great fruit and some citrus flavors, this beer is slightly sweeter than I like for the style

M: I thought the carbonation and viscosity were appropriate and above average, although I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste. It was just too chalky at the finish, and not as crisp and clean as I would have liked. Also, while the start of the beer is great, I like a little bit of hop bite at the end, and I feel that this beer doesn't have to much of a bitterness at the finish. In summary, it's a sweet, fruity, pretty good DIPA.

O: Overall, if this was on tap near me I would probably have it frequently. If I had to trade a difficult to come by beer for it, I most likely wouldn't do it. In terms of drinkability, this beer gets a lot of credit for going down easy and masking the 10.5% ABV.

03-19-2011 23:45:46 | More by glazeman
airohead2001

3.98/5  rDev -13.7%

Big thanks to glazeman for this one. Winter is breaking in Chicago's western burbs. Bring on the sun. This beer is poured into a snifter from a bigass crazy looking growler.

The appearance is nothing too special - light yellow with a one finger head; pretty clear; reminds me of Sculpin.

Smell is fruity and boozy - mango, grapefruit, and some nutty maltiness in the finish.

Taste is good, but there is a lack of a fresh hop bite. Too sweet and too fruity.

Mouthfeel is sort of chalky and syrupy. Nice, but maybe a little too thick for a DIPA.

Overall, this is a good beer. But no, it does not live up to the hype.

03-19-2011 23:32:36 | More by airohead2001
ejyoung

4.7/5  rDev +2%

Shared by Phelps, which was won in Beer Puzzle IV.

Pours a light copper/orange color with a 1/4" head that falls into a nice lacing.

Oh man, the smell! Loved the aroma - in your face hops with plenty of grapefruit, pine, grass, and some tropical notes. Overwhelming amount of hop smell. Mmmmm, I smelled this over and over again.

Taste follows the smell very well. Grass, pine, grapefruit and orange citrus with some honey sweetness. Nice bitter finish. Medium body with great carbonation, even from a growler. Pretty easy to drink for the strength.

Overall, definitely one of the best double IPAs I've had. Very glad to have gotten to try it.

03-19-2011 22:26:04 | More by ejyoung
aerozeppl

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Fairly clear golden copper color. A little lighter than the usual DIPA. A finger of fluffy white head with great lacing. Definitely not filtered as there was some yeast floating in suspension.

S: Amazing nose. In your face grapefruit and citrus. Piney as well. Never came across in the nose as bitterness. Super crisp and fresh smelling. Just hop cones shoved in your nostrils. One of the best noses ever in a DIPA for me.

T: While not as good as the nose this is damn solid. Super fresh hop taste with a big grapefruit component. I wouldn't call it balanced but there was a ton of malt to even things out. Never was it really bitter except for a touch in the finish. Piney. Touch of orange peel. Tons of complexity out of the hops.

M: Medium body. Good carbonation for a growler. Nice and dry.

D: Right up there with the younger. Insanely drinkable. Would have thought around 8%. The best DIPA that I have had in a long time.

03-18-2011 00:02:01 | More by aerozeppl
TheDudeRules

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Hooked up with this from Sonicwaveofbees.

Growler to an imperial pint glass.

Nice looking copper color. Big giant 3 finger head. Lacing is prevalent. It's like a big beautiful bouquet busting out of the top of my glass. The smell is like a tropical rainforest. Pineapple, mango, melon, and cotton candy. This is seriously intense. I'm waiting for a monkey to come crawling out of my glass. My olfactory nerves are making love to my brain right now. Jeebus I hope this smell translates to taste. And...it does in a big way. Just awesome. You get the sweet citrus almost honey loveliness and then it's cut with dry bitterness. Brilliant. This was waltzing on my tongue. I didn't think it was too sticky but essentially almost perfect. A nice carbonation like you want your dipa to have.

I strive to try beers like this. The trading price was well warranted for this beer. In fact I would do it again over and over. Was it the best I've ever had? I think yes. This unknown is king of the hill in my opinion. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.

03-17-2011 14:16:24 | More by TheDudeRules
ottovon

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

brought by phelps to a tasting.

A: faint coppery color with a white head that faded quickly, leaving a white ring on the perimeter.

S: smells of hops. great citrus aroma. i get grapefruit and melon. a nice bit of alcohol. some caramel and straw. I get a little bit of sweetness in the aroma as well.

T: lots of hops. first thing i notice is the bitterness. citrus hop flavor, grapefruit, and orange. i get some caramel flavors towards the end. there is also some grassy flavors and a bit of alcohol. finishes dry and bitter.

M: medium-thin body with a good amount of carb.

D: very drinkable for the abv.

03-15-2011 04:22:07 | More by ottovon
brewdan

4.7/5  rDev +2%

First of all a shout out to Ryan who traded for this growler so he could send it to me?!?

Appearance: Clear golden pour

Smell: Deep piney hoppy goodness with a touch of orange.

Taste: Resinous piney hop blast. As it warms there is some orange or tangerine. I am sure there is a significant malt bill here but it definitely takes a back seat to the huge hops. Nice dry finish that is a touch bitter but not exceedingly so and it lasts a long long time. Superb.

Mouthfeel; Nice creamy resinous mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Good, would be better at lower ABV but the wife and I had no problem polishing off the growler.

My first Hill Farmstead beer and a great one at that. I can't wait to try more of their hoppy goodness.

03-13-2011 20:55:56 | More by brewdan
Phelps

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Huge thanks go out to imagineiii for providing this growler as a prize in the fourth Beer Puzzle LIF. It was shared at a tasting of Arizona-bound beer lovers, and my particular pour was put inside a tulip.

Ephraim was the great-great grandfather of the current Hill Farmstead brewers -- the brewery itself sits just several hundred feet downhill from the land that he settled. Ephraim the beer is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, double dry hopped, brewed with water from Hill Farmstead's own wells, and boasts an impressive hop bill (Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe and Warrior) resulting in 280 theoretical IBUs.

Pours a light, perfectly clear tangerine with a head of bubbly, off-white froth that fizzles away quickly. Thin, craggy streaks of lace and very thin silky top layer linger as I drink.

The nose: super floral, super good. Orange blossom, honey liqueur, grass and melon. It's very boozy, and lots of alcohol burns the nose hairs. Rich.

In the flavor: hops, hops and more hops. Grapefruit juice, orange liqueur, honey, a bit of caramel, rose petals, fresh grass. A striking bitterness grips the tongue mightily. Very alcoholic, and again, rich.

The body is a silky medium, liqueur-like in feel, with a light, massaging carbonation. It retains its creaminess as I move it about. The 10.3 percent ABV is very noticeable in the nose, flavor, and drunkenness it's bestowing upon me.

For how heavy and alcoholic Ephraim is, drinkability is incredible. I can't stop sipping it. A fantastic DIPA.

03-13-2011 06:00:27 | More by Phelps
321jeff

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Growler brought over by Michael, thanks!

Pours a vibrant clear golden amber with a couple fingers of white head made up of some very thin bubbles. It almost glows when held up to the light. The head soon fades, leaving some bits of lacing in the glass.

The aroma is a very complex mix of pine resin, some citrus grapefuit and orange and some sweet malt in the background. It's almost reminiscent of a honey sweetness. Some alcohol becomes more evident as it warms.

The taste starts off slow up front, but as soon as it hits the middle of the tongue a serious load of citrus and malt sweetness, again almost like honey, hits you and the finish is a heavy bitter does of pine and resins. Although the description says a theoretical 280 IBU's, the bitterness is very well balanced and not as overpowering as the number would suggest.

The mouthfeel is really nice, but just a touch thin and not quite as "sticky" as I would expect from something this heavily hopped and 10.5%. Carbonation is thin and prickly and really spot on. This one goes down way too easy and I can only wish that something half this good was on tap locally.

03-09-2011 01:48:08 | More by 321jeff
Solomon420

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to John for sending me a growler of the most recent batch from early March 2011.

A: clear orangish yellow, lots of bubbles with off white 2 finger head.
S: lots of tropical fruits, hops, tangerines, grapefruits, sweet honesuckle. Perfect
T: didnt quite live up to the aroma. I expected more of a tropical fruit flavor that followed that wonderful aroma. However still very drinkable and it reminded me alot of Pliney the Elder. However I still wish it was a bit more tropical sweet in the flavor instead of heavier on the grapefruit/pine.
M: medium to almost heavy body (towards the end of the swig). Lots of carbonation, but they danced off the tongue.
D: I would have given it a 4.5-5.0 on this one had the taste been a bit more tropical, and at the very end of the swig, I felt this beer had a tinge of aspirin flavor to it. It appeared about 3 seconds after swallowing the beer. It was weird, but detracted a bit from the enjoyment.

However, I must say that this is an EXCELLENT beer and with beers like this and Double Sunshine from Lawson's...looks like Vermont is fast becoming the new "San Diego" and its a pleasure to know that FINALLY the east coasters are understanding how to make a proper hop-forward IPA/DIPA. Keep em coming...

03-07-2011 22:49:26 | More by Solomon420
womencantsail

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Huge thanks to Todd for hooking me up with a growler of this. So far I've been a big fan of Shaun's IPAs, so I've been looking forward to trying this one.

A: The pour is surprisingly clear, and is a nice golden amber color with a couple fingers of white head and sticky lacing all down the glass.

S: Intensely fruity on the nose. Excellent grapefruit, but perhaps even better tropical fruit aromas. Lots of pineapple and mango, perhaps some grass and certainly a little bit of pine. A mild sugar aroma provides some additional sweetness.

T: There is a touch of sweet malt flavor, but after that, it's just a ton of fruity hops. Pineapple, mango, and peaches give the beer a really nice flavor and the grapefruit and pine notes provide the requisite bitterness.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation. Not super bitter on the finish.

D: Damn good stuff, but the alcohol does catch up with you on this one. Deceptively easy to drink.

03-07-2011 17:03:15 | More by womencantsail
Bendurgin

Maine

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Huge thanks to Andrewinski1 for making the trek down to Hill Farmstead to grab this one up. Dedication. Poured into a tulip. Beer pours a slightly hazy straw color with about a finger of white fluffy head. It retains nicely and eventually settles down a bit leaving thin soapy lace.

Perfect balance on the aroma for this one. Bitter pine hops are really in your face on this one. The hop aroma blends itself nicely with a candied blood orange aroma that give a nice touch of sweetness in the aroma.

It's official. This is a hop bomb. Right away tropical juice flavors take over my pallet. Pineapple juice and orange flavors to start it off. If finishes with a really piney hop flavor.

A little bit of a sticky feel to this but the body is still pretty good. Lively carbonation, so it held up nicely in the growler. Overall, this is amazing. Drinkable to no end. 10.5? Like hell. Drinks like it's half that.

03-07-2011 01:33:13 | More by Bendurgin
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead Glass. The color is a nice orangey gold color. A small white head is formed and leaves super sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of sweet tropical fruit like mango and a touch of orange zest. Smells juicy.

The taste is heavy on pineapple and also has some nice sweet orange in the finish as well. There is a touch of pine needle in there as well, but this is much more overwhelming with pineapple flavor. The sweetness is just enough to offset the bitterness. A great balance as far as a "triple" IPA is concerned.

The carbonation is nice and crisp, the body is relatively light, but still thick enough to fill your mouth with juicy hop nectar.

This is very very drinkable. I can't wait for every sip. Glad I'm only splitting this 3 ways so I can have a bunch. The more I drink, the more I get heavy pine, and it's awesome.

03-07-2011 01:28:36 | More by andrewinski1
AleWatcher

3.35/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared by Gonzoillini at a tasting. This was the first beer if the night. I was very excited to try it!
Growler opened with a large -pop- and was served in my Ithaca tulip.

The beer looks great. Nice closing yellowy gold... Slightly hazy, which I am a fan of... Big 3 fingers of white head... Very sticky lacing and strong retention. Off to a very strong start.

Smells good. Big citrus and pine hop notes. No real malt. Crisp and clean. The taste has some citrus and pine for sure... But everything is almost lost to a hurricane of pure bitterness. This is painfully bitter, but at the cost of a lot of flavor. This reminds me of Ruination a bit...

The body is oily and light-- almost thin for my tastes. Almost watery?! Wow. There is no bright prickliness that really helps propel the flavor across each tastebud... The beer feels dull and boring. Lots of oily residue left after each sip. It coats my teeth with pine tar.

Overall... This is a good beer. Is it fantastic? Meh. Is it world class? Nope.
It is a sign of a good young brewery though, and I'd love to see what these guys can do after tweaking things a bit.

03-06-2011 14:43:24 | More by AleWatcher
Dreadnaught33

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks to TCassell1 for this beer, a treat to have. Notes from 3-3-11

A: Clear Orange to yellowish color with epic lacing and small bubbly head. Nice carbonation from the growler, which I was pleased to see. I expected the color to be brighter than normal IPA's since I saw there was so little malt.

S: Dank Hops, hop resin and sugary malt. Huge citrus notes and bitterness in there, wow.

T: Really crazy concentrated hops at the back of the palate with a huge bitter note and soft sugary feel up front. Grass, citrus, pine its all there in a huge hammer at the back of the palate. It's very nice how the beer has such a nice ease to it at the front of the palate and then really slams you with a multitude of hop flavors that I really dig. This is not the most balanced beer, but it is a dream for hop lovers and bitter loving people!

M: As I said, sugar up front and huge bitter back, maybe the most bitter palate wrecker I've had. Medium feel, not too much heat actually.

D: Great huge IPA, but it definitely taxes your palate fast! Excellent beer, I hope to get more of their stuff.

03-06-2011 00:26:43 | More by Dreadnaught33
starrdogg

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to dreadnaught33 for sharing some of his growler last night.

I have to say, the only thing about this beer that was not immensely impressive was the way it looked - a bit of a thin yellowish orange without a ton of head. Everything else about this beer was exceptional. The smell just hit me in the face with that big, aromatic hop and citrus aroma that I love in a DIPA, and the taste definitely followed suit. It was hoppy, fruity, a little sweet and ridiculously smooth, basically a perfect DIPA. It was so easy to drink that I was shocked to see that the ABV was 10.5%.

Overall, this is one of the best DIPAs I have ever had and a beer definitely deserving of all of the hype it's getting. It's pretty much perfect in every way.

Edit: I had some from the recent batch and it just wasn't quite as good. It was still a hell of DIPA, but it was more resiny and sweeter and a lot less bitter. I just didn't think the flavors came together quite as well the 2nd time around, so I'm making some minor changes to the review.

03-04-2011 15:51:54 | More by starrdogg