Arthur - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 10-03-2010

Arthur (1922-2005) was our grandfather’s youngest brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Saison is crafted from American malted barley, American and European hops, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Arthur.
Ratings: 1,537 | Reviews: 199

WOW WOW WOW! Very light, white frothy head leading into a sensational aroma of Saison yeast, sour/acidic tones, earthy but very refreshing. First Hill Farmstead and will search for more! Game changer of a Saison.

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 750mL bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Bottled on 4/2/15, making this almost 3 months old.

A: Pours a crystal clear, golden yellow color. Bubbly white head that circles the edge and effervesces with agitation.

S: Fresh flowers, rising yeast. Soft notes of banana and clove. Lots of fresh, earthy, grassy notes as well. Not super pungent though.

T: Very clean and delicate. The farmhouse yeast is there, but it isn't overpowering. A slight tartness to it as well. There's a lot of "space" in the flavor, letting different notes come through on their own. Some fresh-squeezed lemon, banana, biscuit.

M: Fully carbonated. Noticeably tart, but not sour. Very, very dry finish.

O: It's been some time since I've had a HF beer, and boy did I miss it. The best way I can describe their beers is that they're not all perfect beers, but they're all flawless. That sounds contradictory, but what I really mean is that while a majority of their beers may not be the best in the world, they do tend to have minimal imperfections within the style. A beer like this, a tart saison, doesn't completely blow me away and I'm sure there's better out there. But I'm having a hard time picking out something wrong with it. It's so meticulous and well thought out. Very clean and crisp and stoic. There's not a trace of off flavor. Using the farmstead well water to make it is just the perfect example. It's built from the ground up and every aspect is poured over until it's just right.

Recommendation: You need to try anything from Hill Farmstead.

3.8/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It was a yeasty farmhouse ale with a strong lemon flavor. Not my cup of tea, but very fresh.

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delightfully tart and funky saison from HF. It straddles the style boundaries of saison and wild ale. Acidic lemon and orange peel up front, with a crisp, dry, and refreshing finish. I love tart saisons and this one really hit the mark for me.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

silky smooth and very tasty. hibiscus/orange peel. awesome stuff

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is list listed as a Farmhouse/Saison but to me it borders on being a sour.
I traveled to Hill Farmstead in search of the brewery with the most highly rated beers, and upon my visit there I was quite disappointed in their beers compared to the beers ratings.
Having stated THAT, I am quite pleased with this beer, although I do not think that it fits within the Farmhouse/Saison category as one would think of it. I think, as I drink from a bomber savoring every ounce of this 6.0% beer, that this tends to lean more towards a sour than a farmhouse, to which i was quite happy with that conclusion. After visiting Russian River Brewing last fall I have gained a great respect for sours and this beer is close to bridging that gap.
I wish I had a great supply of this and a bunch of different Russian River's sours to keep me happy throughout the year.
All though I have not tasted all that beers Hill-Farmstead produces, this without a doubt is the one beer of theirs that I would recommend, if you like sours, or beers with the non traditional taste I'm pretty sure you will really enjoy this offering from the guys out there in the middle of nowhere.

4.02/5  rDev -8%

A very good, easy drinking saison. Tart, slightly funky yeast and somewhat musty.

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a truly sublime experience.

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to @mathieuc for including this in the canbif

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the 25.4 oz. bomber into a Hill Farmstead stemmed tulip.

a; Hazy gold with an inch plus thick white head which receded to thick surface foam and dense lacing.

s; Belgian yeasty light ripe fruit combo with sour notes.

t: Difficult to begin to sip because inhaling the aroma of it makes me cough every time. Holding my breath, getting the same as the nose, with the dominant note being sour.

m: Light to medium, ok body, plenty of carbonation tingle.

o: A very good example of a sour saison. Easy drinking for those who favor that style. In this case my taste and overall ratings are based on perception of quality relative to the style rather than my personal reaction of enjoyment.

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Think I had a bad bottle. Would like to try it again in the future.

4.34/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

the difference between a very good saison and a world class one turns out to be not all that much. its just that one extra degree of refinement and attention to detail, maybe knowledge of process or even quality of ingredients. its tough to pinpoint, especially here, in a beer that in so many ways is not that different from a million other saisons on the market. it has a soft fluffy mostly pale malt base, with a slightly higher dosage of hops than tradition probably calls for, but with classic varietals and a yeast strain that makes it special. the recipe is the same across the board, but arthur has that it factor, that distinguishing element(s) that puts it up into a category nearly all of its own. for me, one element is the yeast. its super super funky, but it isnt tart or sour at all, and while it definitely has wild ale appeal, it doesnt get as involved on that front, a level of reserved craftsmanship rarely seen. if there is a little brett in here, its mild and sweet. the other element is the hops, and we all know these guys do hops pretty amazingly, but its grassy and bigger in this beer, without even lending oils to the beer to make it sticky and heavy, and without much bitterness. its a special understanding of the ingredients and the processes that produces such dynamic balance. mouthfeel is special as well, its carbonated quite brightly, but its not the racing soda bubbles of most, its a more gentle upbeat tune this one sings, and i am really happy having it hum along on my palate. finishes nice and dry and clean, feels rustic and timeless, traditional but evolved, and like something to be revered and shared, which is exactly what we did with it. a common beer style, probably with common ingredients and processes, but of outrageously uncommon quality. this is the new benchmark in my mind.

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had this beer many times, and like it quite a bit. There's a hint of sour to the beer (some batches seem a bit more sour than others), but is still in the range that I can tolerate. Otherwise, the beer is light, fairly dry, slightly bitter, and just very, very easy to drink. Very well crafted farmhouse ale from HF.

3.44/5  rDev -21.3%

I Think I just dont like this style....

4.02/5  rDev -8%

Brisk! Could use a bit more flavor but yumm.

4.64/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic saison, shared a bottle with my wife over dinner. The funk is beautifully balanced with wheat tartness. Fresher bottle(3-15), will hold one for a little while to see what age does to it...

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely fantastic saison. So bright, lively, and refreshing. The nose is a fair bit more tart than the taste. Perfect balance of tart, funk, and wheat. Super sessionable. Crisp, refreshing, near flawless brew.

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Ron for providing the bottle!

Pours a hazy sun-yellow color, with a big, froth head.

Has aromas of wet grass, hay, citrus green apple peel and a lovely, slightly fruity, acidity. Bretts blend well into the rustic characteristics of the nose, providing an enjoyable freshness. The nose reminds me more of a Berliner Weisse, than a classic Saison, while being a bit richer and more pronounced on the nose.

Has a lively, very refreshing carbonation. While the beer is still relatively low in alcohol, its got a decent body to it.

Begins with soft wheat, wet hay and acidic lime, inviting sour bretts to the palate. Has a truly refreshing beginning, almost mirroring the nose, balanced by bready, slightly biscuity malts. Taste is still without a doubt providing a very pleasant freshness, with the right amount of lactic citrus fruit among funky yeast and wheat. Ends with biscuity malts among citrus bonbons, revealing a good amount of sourness.

A real treat, my first Hill Farmstead brew, a fuller bodied Berliner Weisse - or a truly refreshing, sessionable saison. Either way, the beer provides a crisp, citraic freshness, well edged into a distinct wheat foundation leading to a very well composed brew, I would love to drink frequently during warm summer days.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received this in trade a few weeks back. I noticed the bottling date was from January of last year, still this one has held up very well, perhaps even better than it was fresh? Although there was no noticeable off flavors at all. Very well crafted beer.

Appearance: Light golden honey colored with a large amount of delicate white head.

Aroma: Tartness is the dominant aroma some sweetness in there as well. Very much a Belgian style ale.

Taste: Tart, citrus fruits and a little bitterness pretty complex, yet mild as well. Very clean finishing and truly enjoyable.

Overall: This is my first Hill Farmstead beer and I am amazed at how well crafted it truly is, if I had not just ran across the date I would never have been able to tell that it had over a year of age on the bottle. Super beer! I hope this is the first of many opportunities.

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade. The bottle was 7 months old and I was surprised how well the saison held up considering the age. Makes me want to go to Vermont and drink some HF Beer on tap to see what it's like fresh.

The smell and the taste definitely have a lemon zest quality. There is a good amount of sourness which I'm guessing became more pronounced with age. The sourness is well balanced by a slight sweetness from the malt. It's a very well crafted beer that I would trade for again if the opportunity arises.

4.23/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer was a golden yellow color with a bright white head.

Smell - Lemon & grass makes an impression in the aroma.

Taste - As part of the taste, I detect impressions of dry lemon, grass, and lemon rind. The dry after makes the drinker needs another drink in the potentially never ending cycle.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is appropriate for the style, brushing away sweetness and leaving dryness.

Overall - I am not huge on the style, but I enjoyed this one. It does not possess the medicinal qualities of some in the style.

I really enjoy this beer, one of my favorites from Hill Farmstead.

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Amazingly good beer! Hint of sour accompanies the light citrus aroma. Mouthfeel is on point. Beautifully done, Hill Farmstead!

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Love this. What a great brew if you can find it

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, pours orange with white head. Aroma is light tart and yeast. Taste is more tart than i expected, really tasty

Arthur from Hill Farmstead Brewery