Arthur - Hill Farmstead Brewery

ArthurArthur

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Arthur (1922-2005) was our grandfather’s youngest brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Saison is crafted from American malted barley, American and European hops, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Arthur.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 10-03-2010)

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

General: Found this in the back room of my local craft beer shop in LA. This was expense (it's LA and the beer is from VT, go figure). They had a limited amount of them so I only picked up one to let some other people try it too. Poured this into a tulip for tasting.

Appearance: Straw colored beer with a light, fluffy white head. The head diminished really quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Some light clove aroma with a citrus note. There is almost an apricot aroma also with a smell of slight alcohol. Very fitting aroma for the style. If I didn't know better I would say this had a touch of brett finishing it because of the citrus nose that was developed with this mild funkish aroma. Really nice.

Mouthfeel: Moderately high carbonation and easy to drink. This is really refreshing. It's pretty light in body but fits the saison style.

Taste: Flavor is pretty nice, there are all the flavors that were found in the aroma with more added. There is a touch of malt, barely noticeable but refreshing. There are some really nice minor flavors in here and again, if I didn't know better I would think this had some brett in it. It reminds me of Saison Brett from Blvd Brewing.

Overall: This is interesting. I think that the best comparison is to Blvd Brewing Saison Brett, even though this doesn't have brett in it. It's a good saison, not perfect (I prefer more of the traditional belgian flavors like bubblegum, clove and banana in my saisons) but it's pretty damn good. That being said, I don't think that I would be paying $30 a bottle that it cost out in cali again. I'll wait until I make it to the brewery this summer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%