Arthur - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 10-03-2010

Arthur (1922-2005) was our grandfather’s youngest brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Saison is crafted from American malted barley, American and European hops, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Arthur.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A delicious farmhouse style ale. Very crisp and tart with complex fruity, citrus zest and spice flavors and a fantastic clean, bready malt backbone. Highly aromatic and really develops as you allow it to warm in the glass. Hill Farmstead makes some amazing beer.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Popped this puppy open to celebrate being done (hopefully) with college. My first HF beer ever and needless to say I'm pumped.

Beautiful color. Slightly cloudy and golden with a big fluffy head.

Aroma reeks of grains, lactic acid, faint funk and apple cider. Once it opens, lemon juice comes through with a slightly minty coolness on the nose. Orange peel, spice and grain make sure this beer sticks to its roots as a traditional saison.

Flavors explodes on to the palate. Herbal hop-bitterness balances the sweet apple/pear juice. After it sat for a while, Greek yogurt, herbaceous rosemary and a soily/gravel minerality gave this beer a 'rustic' feel as the label denotes. Only thing I am not a HUGE fan of is the interesting hoppy quality of the beer. I appreciate that they are there, but it just threw me off a little.

Honestly, I can't wait for them to start barrel-aging all Arthurs, but for now I will savor this wonderfully complex yet simple Saison. This shit right here creates the hype of HF beers.

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

General: Found this in the back room of my local craft beer shop in LA. This was expense (it's LA and the beer is from VT, go figure). They had a limited amount of them so I only picked up one to let some other people try it too. Poured this into a tulip for tasting.

Appearance: Straw colored beer with a light, fluffy white head. The head diminished really quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Some light clove aroma with a citrus note. There is almost an apricot aroma also with a smell of slight alcohol. Very fitting aroma for the style. If I didn't know better I would say this had a touch of brett finishing it because of the citrus nose that was developed with this mild funkish aroma. Really nice.

Mouthfeel: Moderately high carbonation and easy to drink. This is really refreshing. It's pretty light in body but fits the saison style.

Taste: Flavor is pretty nice, there are all the flavors that were found in the aroma with more added. There is a touch of malt, barely noticeable but refreshing. There are some really nice minor flavors in here and again, if I didn't know better I would think this had some brett in it. It reminds me of Saison Brett from Blvd Brewing.

Overall: This is interesting. I think that the best comparison is to Blvd Brewing Saison Brett, even though this doesn't have brett in it. It's a good saison, not perfect (I prefer more of the traditional belgian flavors like bubblegum, clove and banana in my saisons) but it's pretty damn good. That being said, I don't think that I would be paying $30 a bottle that it cost out in cali again. I'll wait until I make it to the brewery this summer.

3.75/5  rDev -14%