Flora - Hill Farmstead Brewery

FloraFlora

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.80% ABV

Wine barrel aged Wheat Saison fermented with resident microflora.

(Beer added by: SFLpunk on 10-03-2010)

funkel81, Feb 06, 2012

ThatsThatDude, Jan 05, 2014

makdeco, Oct 26, 2012

brez8791, Sep 11, 2012

sailorastro, Nov 13, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -27.6%

Corked bottle thanks to Chris poured into my Hill Farmstead glass... A cloudy murky dark straw, doesn't look very good. Lots of bright white head at first with good carbonation, but its watery. Good retention and lacing... The aroma is pretty nice, sweet candy wheat, honey, floral finish... The taste really is disappointing, borderline bad. Almost totally dead, what I do get is bad peppery floral hops. Finish really kills me as bad oaks comes off... Mouthfeel is the true downfall of this beer, watery light with no depth... Easy to drink but not good enough that I would.

Pretty disappointing for me after such a great aroma. I can't recommend this.

jrallen34, Feb 13, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks to Chris for opening this one up at our Strikeforce: The Fall of Fedor tasting.

A - Murky dark yellow color, looks a bit like juice. Nice white head with great retention and lace.

S - Thought this was a saison when it was given to me, but execptionally fruity and tart, almost like a wild. Great smelling tartness combined with some funk and belgian yeast. Not sure I've ever smelled anything quite like this, smells awesome and different.

T - Complete letdown on the taste, after all this unique and cool buildup this beer is quite boring. There just isn't much going on here, seems like-watered down earth notes with a lot of oak and some grass. Finishes quite watery. It started out with such potential on the nose too...

M - This beer is too thin and feels watered down.

D - This beer was particularly polarizing at our tasting. A few liked it, but I was one of the ones didn't care for it in the end. It may have suffered from following Anna in the tasting order, which was an amazing saison, but I kind of think I'd feel the same about this one regardless of what I drank before or after it.

AgentZero, Feb 15, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks to BrewerDan23 for sharing this bottle.

This beer pours a very cloudy gold with just a little island of lazy white foam. The beer smells overwhelmingly bretty with huge funk that's like bad breath. The beer is very dry and thin, low in carbonation and has little hopping. The beer tastes mostly like funk with over ripe papyas, buttery oak and cracker-y malt. To me, it's a fairly one-dimensional brett-bomb and I was looking for a bit more complexity.

Soonami, Aug 27, 2011

TimoP, Feb 07, 2012

nickhiller, Feb 05, 2012

nathanjohnson, Feb 19, 2012

phishbone23, Nov 23, 2013

DoctorB2B, Mar 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

Thanks to the eager, fast-shipping baconsausage for one more bottle of Hill Farmstead. I think I'm almost ready to get off my hiatus, my friend, because I need more of these excellent beers you send me! (though I still owe him a box, hurry up, Surly Five)

Flora comes in a plain, big bottle that looks bigger than 750ML. Not only capped, but corked, too - my first encounter with this was earlier this week, now two, man, I suck with a cork, I hope this isn't a trend. Poured into a cute matched pair of snifters, this is pale to the point of shut-in. Clear. Nose bring lemon spritz, funk, waving fields of grain. Good start.

Flora brings the funk hard, first & foremost this is a buried-in-the-ground beer that is high on sour lemons, earthy hops. There's also a big wood component that's seriously drying. Wheat, grass. My wife is digging this & she isn't wild about sours or saisons...me, I think it's pretty good.

Pretty good brew, but not quite the killer that previous Hill Farmstead beers have been for me. But hey, expanding my wife's already broad horizons? Worth the price of admission!

maximum12, May 29, 2011

BeerThursdays, Dec 29, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rating is a composite of the two batches.

Batch 1:

Milky pale blond with a tall lasting white head.

Smells great. Very floral, perfumey. Nice fruitiness, very berry-like, specifically blackberries. Vinous notes, citrus, strawberry.

Palate has a sharpness to it up front, a nice blackberry-strawberry fruitiness. Citrus, too, along with vinous notes and a mild lactic character. Very light with a dry and tannic finish. Exceptionally good.

Batch 2:

Same appearance as batch 1. Tons of cheesy funk on the nose here. Very bretty, a bit metallic. Tastes cheesy, lactic, funky, vinous. Dry finish. Not great, this batch has an overwhelming blue cheese character. It's drinkable, but it doesn't live up to batch 1.

largadeer, Jan 23, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -19%

Cloud of gold fills the glass.
It stares back at me, judging.
We all fall short of the glory,
Under stars and a lemon tree,
The slight funk of the night
Wafting through, just right.
The fields of wheat blazed through
Cut down by an angry beast -
A foul-tempered yeast - The barrel
Gives a bit of itself, not too much.
Keeps some for itself, no doubt.
Through the clean tart finish
I lick my lips clean, desirous
Maybe just a pinch more.

dragonWhale, Apr 12, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml capped bottle into a couple of glasses. Thanks go to Stakem for sharing this during a recent Hill Farmstead tasting.

Pours a hazed gold, with a finger of frothy bright-white head. This stays rich and bubbly and coats the sides of the glass with swathes of creamy lacing. There’s a nice robust look to this. Wine barrel jumps right out in the aroma, with a tannic fruitiness that sits dryly in the nose. Honey, tartness and light funk sit along the back.

The taste is tart and earthy lemon character, some dark fruitiness, wheat, a touch of vanilla and honey. A dry tannic feel from the barrel sits on the edges of this, while a mildly funky tartness lingers in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a firm bubbly creaminess to the carbonation that expands out into the mouth. This overall flows pretty easily in the mouth and helps handle the strong tartness.

While I certainly found this to be interesting, the combination of wine barrel, Brett and wheat gave this a rather funky tartness throughout the profiles which my palate never did fully adapt to. I’m glad that I was able to try but I think that they’ve pulled off better with their barrel-aged Saisons from here.

Kegatron, Sep 13, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -17.9%

6/12/2011

A: Cloudy yellow with a big pillowy white head and nice retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Lots of wheat and granny smith apple. Salt, mineral, band aid, white pepper, and a little clove. The wine influence seems like Chardonnay. There's a bit of lemon and vanilla as well.

T: Hay and wheat with a little leather and notable apple notes. Lightly peppery and dry. A touch of mineral. Finishes dry with some oak, vanilla, and wheat.

M: Upper light in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry and a little crisp. I found myself wanting it a little drier, crisper, and with more carbonation.

Overall: Another enjoyable Saison from Hill Farmstead.

HopHead84, Jun 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -16.7%

enjoyed this at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06 alongside art and earl.

golden straw yellow with a bubbly head that's gone pretty quickly. very wheat and musty on the nose...almost rubbery. someone in the group said it has that "new car" smell and that is a good way to describe it. pretty muted taste. again, somewhat rubbery and "new car." the mouth was smooth, not fizzy...good. overall a good beer, not great. the barrels didn't do much to the flavor and the base beer doesn't see so wonderful. glad i tried it, but not something i'd knock out my cellar to get, although this beer is as advertised, wheat saison in wine barrels, the summation just is not that spectacular in my opinion.

cosmicevan, Aug 08, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to the Central PA crew for sending this in the gang bang BIF.

A: pours cloudy yellow, thin layer of white head, not much in the way of retention

S: nose is fragrant with notes of citrus, in your face lemon with hints of banana in the background, sourdough bread, some floral notes as well

T: tart up front, lemon zest, some hops are present, slight bitterness in the middle, the finish is sweet

MF: high carbonation, light body, very refreshing

O: nice blend of spice and lemon, not a typical wild ale, has the taste profile more similar to a weiss of some sort, either way it is a nice beer.

homebrew311, Oct 31, 2011