Flora - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: SFLpunk on 10-03-2010

Wine barrel aged Wheat Saison fermented with resident microflora.
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Very cloudy straw colored pastel yellow. Forms a large white head that quickly reduces to a mere surface coating.

S: Lots of funk. Gum ball, yeast, apple, and a little banana.

T: Starts off with a light lemon sweetness. Tart with a buttery chardonnay-like quality. Rather vinous. Yet the flavor is light. Reminiscent of a white wine.

M: On the lighter side, with a slight viscosity to it. Medium carbonation.

O: Very good. Rather complex set of flavors. Typically saisons are quick drinkers, but this one made me slow down and really appreciate it.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

A – Pillow of whip cream head leaves a spotted, but solid lace.

S – Light apple, peach, salt water taffy, and a hint of farm funk.

T – Light and soft up front. Tart and dry center with upripe white peach, touch of orange zest and white grapes. A kiss of oak settles the backend along with an agave sweetness.

M – Light up front but builds into a medium body. Soft throughout and lightly dry on the finish.

O – A great summer brunch brew.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a flared pokal.

Big thanks to the Central PA group of the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

Never had a barrel-aged saison before (that I can remember, anyway...), so this oughta be a fun li'l experiment. It pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises red wine grapes, tart-ish orange, dank oak, and a touch of grass. The taste holds notes of sour grapes, wheat, honey, sourdough, light clove, and some very light mandarin orange. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a pretty dry finish. Overall, a very nice saison, one that definitely seems to get a boost from the wine barrels.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

Served along side Hill Farmstead Art, Arthur, Civil Disobedience, and McKenzie Irma Extra.

The beer is yellow and hazy, with a sizable white head that leaves ample lacing on the snifter. The aroma brings brettanomyces, oak, citrus, pale malts, grain, yeast. The flavor is pretty good. Heavy on the brett character, and a bit unbalanced. Still, a tasty and enjoyable beer. Medium bodied with solid carbonation. Good beer. I would have this again.

Update: had this again tonight. Lovely aroma and beautiful balance. Delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Batch 2, capped but not corked 750 mL bottle share by Mr. Thorpe. Tasted with Art, Arthur, et al.

Color is cloudy, pale golden with a thick white head. Head fades quickly to a collar of bubbles with nice sheets of lacing.

Aroma is a pleasant blend of funk, citrus, wheat, pale malt, straw, and grass. Some oak, but not as much as Art.

Flavor starts similar to Art. Light saison yeast; more sweet than spice or funk, before some fruit and wine transition into a dry, wheat and yeast based finish. Lemon, grassy and herbal with subtle wine and oak tinges. Brett funk is present throughout, but not as strong as others have mentioned. Very unique and enjoyable. Similar body to other HF saisons, medium thick with a crisp, dry finish.

Haven't tried both batches yet, but Number 2 is drinking well right now.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to BrewerDan23 for sharing this bottle.

This beer pours a very cloudy gold with just a little island of lazy white foam. The beer smells overwhelmingly bretty with huge funk that's like bad breath. The beer is very dry and thin, low in carbonation and has little hopping. The beer tastes mostly like funk with over ripe papyas, buttery oak and cracker-y malt. To me, it's a fairly one-dimensional brett-bomb and I was looking for a bit more complexity.

Taken from notes. Had at a small tasting at wedgie9’s apartment and thanks to Ryan for the bottle. Batch 1.
Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a hazy gold color. About a finger of head is achieved with a soft pour that dissipates slowly leaving nice chunky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – A wonderful aroma of barnyard funk, lemon zest, apple, wet hay, leather, honey, and tartness.

Taste – To be honest, the taste is a bit of a letdown. I was expecting a bit more in your face funk and flavor, but it was a bit subdued. Perhaps a bit more of age would have been beneficial to this beer. The initial taste is not so much sour/tart as it is earthy. Hay and barnyard must (not funk) is prevalent, slight lemon and apple sour citrus flavors, wheat, oak, and bread. A complex beer, albeit not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, spritzy carbonation.

Overall – A good saison and one I am glad I was able to try. However, that said, I would take Bam Biere over this any day. I wish the sour/funk was a bit more dominant. Drinkability was great, and I would honestly love to try this with a couple years on it.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

enjoyed this at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06 alongside art and earl.

golden straw yellow with a bubbly head that's gone pretty quickly. very wheat and musty on the nose...almost rubbery. someone in the group said it has that "new car" smell and that is a good way to describe it. pretty muted taste. again, somewhat rubbery and "new car." the mouth was smooth, not fizzy...good. overall a good beer, not great. the barrels didn't do much to the flavor and the base beer doesn't see so wonderful. glad i tried it, but not something i'd knock out my cellar to get, although this beer is as advertised, wheat saison in wine barrels, the summation just is not that spectacular in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml Batch 2 bottle, courtesy of Knifestyles, into a tasting glass.

A: Clear straw body with some floaties (I got one of the last pours at the tasting table; others' glasses are totally clear); one-finger head of super-fine white bubbles; Great retention, solid sheets of lace. Very nice.

S: Beautifully floral (and therefore aptly named) and winey, with lightly fruity white wine and delicately leafy + floral hops. Some dry, toasty oak as well. Terrific.

T: Follows the nose - white wine fruitiness is up front, followed by some vanilla oak and finally a dry, floral hoppy finish. Great.

M: Light body with moderate, soft carbonation. Nice.

O: Excellent beer; I don't know about calling it a Wild Ale, but the barrel definitely added some nice depth and complexity to this fresh and refreshing brew.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 1 bottle, corked & capped, purchased at the anniversary party in May. This pours a clear pale golden color, SRM of 3 or maybe just a little higher. Nice foam, pillowy and dry looking, with sheets of lacing on the glass.

The nose has just a hint of bret, funky and sweet smelling. Other then that a little cidery, maybe a touch of smarties too. I've been impressed with the subtleties of the HF beers I've tried and the aroma on this one is no exception.

It tastes nice but is a bit simpler than I'd wanted/expected. Clean tasting, nothing major from the malts except maybe a little sweetness, a dry but understated bite in the back from the bret, some floral things too from the hops or yeast, nice but not deep. Maybe that's what HF was after, they really seem to craft beer in a way I haven't experienced from too many other breweries.

Overall this was solid but a little straightforward. I'd definitely have it again (and I will as I have more bottles). I'll review the batch 2 bottles later when I try them.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Todd for sending me this beer. Capped bottle from Batch 2.

A: The beer pours a very cloudy yellow/straw color with a big white head.

S: There is a nice lemony tartness with a hint of green apple. A decent amount of funkiness, particularly grass, straw, and musty oak. Some fruit notes and a fairly strong aroma of wheat.

T: Light fruit notes of apple and pear with lots of lemon zest and some green apple. Big wheat aroma with a bit of bread. Some bacterial notes with a bit of grassy and earthy funk.

M: Somewhat light in body with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

O: I liked this one a bit more than Art. Really nice and complex.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to Andy for sharing another beer from Hill Farmstead. Poured into a chalice. This one pours a light straw with about an inch of fluffy white head. Lots of lively visible carbonation on this one with sticky lace.

As andy was pouring this I could smell apples. Granny Smith apples are a dominant aroma here with a little bit of lemon and some oak and grapes. More of a brett flavor is dominating the pallet. A lot different than the aroma. Lots of brett and oak on the pallet. Soft white grape flavor here with a little bit of a floral hop flavor to finish.

Really a nice light body here with soft carbonation. A really well done saison. The wine barrel aging seems to be pretty well done here.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a tulip. Nice large sticky head atop a barely hazy light golden color.

As I poured this I got a strong aroma of apples. This delighted me because it reminded me of the aroma in the Fantôme Saison. Upon sticking my nose in there I get a slight hint of lemongrass and peach.

The taste is a wonderful balance of toast and biscuit malt in the front and fruitiness in the finish. There is a touch of honey and the oak makes it's presence known.

This is very light and drinkable, the carbonation makes a crisp and refreshing drink.

The aroma and appearance got my hopes up really high; though the taste falls slightly short of the best Saisons in the world, this is well deserving of high praise.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Draft at Eulogy.

Pours a light golden orange color that is opaque with a two finger frothy, soapy white head that slowly fades into a thick lingering head.  Spotty lacing and chunks of soapy rings left behind.

Slightly earthy, funky aroma that's bursting with lots of tropical fruit along with zesty spice and bready yeast.  Peppery with faint barnyard hints and light fruit.  Hints of mango, blood orange, pineapple and grapefruit.  Amazing!

Medium bodied with a perfect balance of funky barnyard, estery fruit and subtle spice.  Lots of citrus character with hints of blood orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel.   incredibly complex and dangerously drinkable.  Excellent balance of sweeter notes, earthy funk and zesty spice.  Highly recommended!

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

750ml bottle purchased from the brewery in late May. No bottle date, but assume fresh (for a barrel aged beer....moron). 5% ABV. Poured into Russian River snifter.

A: Mildly hazy yellow color. Very little head, less than one finger. Some mild lacing.

S: This one smells a little funky. The wine barrel aroma and the yeast jump out a little bit. Fruitly, tart apples almost. Granny Smith-ish.

T: I got a dry white wine/champagne like flavor from this. A little spice, but not that much. Pretty solid brew. Nice crisp close.

M: Light to medium mouth feel on this. Doesn't coat the mouth.

O: This one was pretty darn good but I much preferred the Anna that we tasted earlier in the night. Might just be my palate though. Both well crafted brews though.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Cloudy yellow with a big pillowy white head and nice retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Lots of wheat and granny smith apple. Salt, mineral, band aid, white pepper, and a little clove. The wine influence seems like Chardonnay. There's a bit of lemon and vanilla as well.

T: Hay and wheat with a little leather and notable apple notes. Lightly peppery and dry. A touch of mineral. Finishes dry with some oak, vanilla, and wheat.

M: Upper light in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry and a little crisp. I found myself wanting it a little drier, crisper, and with more carbonation.

Overall: Another enjoyable Saison from Hill Farmstead.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Opened this bottle from aapp and poured with kingkong and wino47. My first HF saison, have loved the IPA's. First pour results in minimal head a heavy carbonation, clear and light gold in color. The late pours are hazy with sediment. Smell is sour acidity with barny notes and orange. The barrel's come through more in the taste. I'm a big fan. Only slightly sour with lemon peel and hay. I didn't get as much "horse blanket" as the others I was tasting with. This is light in body but complex in flavor. Very drinkable, a perfect warm/hot weather beer.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

Flora in my glass, this too shall pass.

Flora came to me looking very bright with a good head on her shoulders. Her view was a bright shade of yellow but not fizzy yellow like your grandpapas beer. I can for sure see some yeast on the bottom of the glass and I can smell said yeast from a distance. A small amount of suds on the glass. This is very pungent beer here. Notes of sharp lemon and other citrus busts out the joint. The white wine and oak are equally as appealing. Great scent on this girl!! And when I finally hooked up with her my eyes opened wide and I could tell than that we were a match made in Capone's. Lemon is what Im talking about and it's accompanied by more citrus pineapple slices with wine barrel oak. The yeast brings bread of course and adds another layer on and dries out the finish very much so. The body is light and the carb is spritzy and the aftertaste is very yeasty and did I mention dry yet. This is what I look for in a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Thanks to the eager, fast-shipping baconsausage for one more bottle of Hill Farmstead. I think I'm almost ready to get off my hiatus, my friend, because I need more of these excellent beers you send me! (though I still owe him a box, hurry up, Surly Five)

Flora comes in a plain, big bottle that looks bigger than 750ML. Not only capped, but corked, too - my first encounter with this was earlier this week, now two, man, I suck with a cork, I hope this isn't a trend. Poured into a cute matched pair of snifters, this is pale to the point of shut-in. Clear. Nose bring lemon spritz, funk, waving fields of grain. Good start.

Flora brings the funk hard, first & foremost this is a buried-in-the-ground beer that is high on sour lemons, earthy hops. There's also a big wood component that's seriously drying. Wheat, grass. My wife is digging this & she isn't wild about sours or saisons...me, I think it's pretty good.

Pretty good brew, but not quite the killer that previous Hill Farmstead beers have been for me. But hey, expanding my wife's already broad horizons? Worth the price of admission!

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

another well crafted unique take on by hill farmstead. with a wonderful late spring refreshment of sour hints and wheat. pour is yellow golden with nice consistent head. nose of champagne and adjunct grain qualities. when agitated a hint of mineral. palate is very mind sour and a broadness that is developed by the tannins and minerals that don't have a harsh overtone on the beer but a balance. dry like toothpaste with a creamy finish. my drinking buddy called it a distant public pool quality. there is subtitles beyond measure in this one especially because its so low in abv. a bit of fantome pritemp and a bit of brute. but in hints. and not as expansive due to delicacy.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle shared by Sally – thanks! Judging by the reviews this is Batch 1, it’s unlabeled except for an “F” on the cage.

Pours a hazy golden color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of light malts with hints of wheat and large amounts of funk. Also present are earthy and floral hops, light citrus, and mild white grape aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though it manages to be even more complex. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by crisp light citrus and moderate amounts of funk. Midway through the sip a slight wheat twang works its way into things along with leafy hops that dry it out a bit. Near the end of the sip white grape flavors with hints of oak make an appearance, carrying through to a very crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could have a lot more of these.

Overall I was very impressed with this beer. Everything was done just to the right point and no one component was overdone. Very complex and well worth a shot.

3.59/5  rDev -16.9%

Cloud of gold fills the glass.
It stares back at me, judging.
We all fall short of the glory,
Under stars and a lemon tree,
The slight funk of the night
Wafting through, just right.
The fields of wheat blazed through
Cut down by an angry beast -
A foul-tempered yeast - The barrel
Gives a bit of itself, not too much.
Keeps some for itself, no doubt.
Through the clean tart finish
I lick my lips clean, desirous
Maybe just a pinch more.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

750ml. 2011, batch 2 (not corked); I think this spent an extra couple of months (2-2.5) in the barrels. Opened on April 10, 2011.

Pours a faded goldenrod with a one inch frothy white head. Decent lacing and nice clarity on the first pour.

Pleasant, clean nose featuring a light citrus tartness, barely-present oak, unadulterated, fresh wheat and just a hint of earthy funk. Somewhat floral. Quite nice.

Similar to the nose, though softer. On the front of the palate there's a nice blend of lemon, white wine/white grape, and wet hay, giving way to a light grassy and floral bitterness. Mid palate there's a strange, almost sulfuric [mineral acidic] note I'm not fond of that persists through the finish.

Medium-light bodied, though characteristically creamy and pleasantly dry. Just a little watery on the finish.

All the notes are here, they just don't come together for me at this point in the beer's life. A nice balance of citrus, wheat, and grass/earthiness, especially on the nose, but there's a distracting flavor or two that will hopefully fade in the coming months.

Original Review for Batch #2: 3.63
Updated Review for Batch #5: 4.40

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

750mL brown glass capped and corked bottle. Batch #1. Been in my cellar upright for about a month or more, opened at 55 degrees. Poured into a Triple Karm stem.

High crackle is noticeable right off the bat. Clarity is impeccable. The air fills with the aroma of french cider or calvados. Nose is flowery and perfumed with the faint scent of wheat. Palate is crisp and really really clean. The flavors are all about a really light wheat ale and calvados barrels.

The palate lacks the creaminess that I noted in the draft version back in Oct. I think I prefer this one. I have a batch #2 in the cellar and will post an update when I try that one.

Update: Batch #2 opened next day. Capped, no cork this time. Flavors and aromas are consistent with Batch #1, but it's a little more muted all around. Not as flowery perhaps. The other main difference is in the carbonation level. Batch #1 has more of a champagne crackle to it, while batch #2 is a softer, more creamy carbonation and has better head retention and lacing. I prefer batch #1!

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

From 03/27/11 notes. Thanks to whoever shared this one.

a - Pours a bright yellow color with a tiny bit of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of floral hops, citrus hops, earthy notes, barnyard funk.

t - Tastes of floral hops, citrus hops, fruity malts, light funk, light sweet tropical fruits.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

o - A nice beer from Hill Farmstead. Lots of floral notes, mixing with some sweet fruit and light funk. A nice saison I would certainly have again.

EDIT: From 12/29/14 notes. Had this again and thought it was amazing. I'm thinking from their first batch to now 3-4 years later they tweaked the recipe, but this is great now. Would love to have it again.

Flora from Hill Farmstead Brewery