Everett (Barrel Aged) - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett (Barrel Aged)Everett (Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Batch 2: Barrel aged for 18 months in hand select bourbon barrels from our favorite distilleries.

Batch 3: Our Everett porter aged for over 28 months in hand-selected bourbon barrels from some of our favorite distilleries. 500ml.

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 11-27-2010)
4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

500ml waxed bottle sent a few months ago by tytoanderso poured into 2 snifters.

Pours jet black with a dark brown head great lacing.

Smells of bourbon, vanilla and coffee.

Taste is amazing huge milk choclate upfront that mellows out to a nice coffe and vanilla like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is amazing it has this almost mouth coating feel to it. If anything carbonation is a little high.

Overall great beer I wish I had more of this.

joefuzz, Nov 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Cracked this one open sitting outside with the Upper South Endzone of Beaver Stadium in the distance. Perfect fall weekend in Happy Valley.

A - Pours pretty vicious with a coffee head rising up. For a porter very dark and stout like. A real winner.

S - Dark roasts with chocolate, some smoke, oak, chocolate, and coffee. Bourbon smell was there but not overly strong which was fine with me.

T - Follows the smell with a dash of caramel and vanilla thrown in to boot. Dark roast with coffee and chocolate in there too. After having a ton of bourbon barrel beers, I'm starting to get slightly bored with them. I find the ones I am liking more are the ones that are not too bourbon forward so I very much liked this one.

M - Very nice and full for a porter. No complaints here.

O- Really nice beer, much enjoyed it. Sent compliments of kelp who is one of the really good traders on this site. This was another nice offering by a brewery that makes quality beers.

Beerisheaven, Oct 09, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Pour is dark brown, small head

Smell: Oak, dark fruit, roasted malts, cocoa, smoke, booze

Taste: A bit sweet, close to port. Dark fruit, coffee, oak, roasted malts, smoke and booze

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, medium body

Overall: Nothing special here, I was not particularly impressed and was ready to move on.

craytonic, May 18, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -30%

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours a large layer of fizzy tan head. Decent retention with a lot of lace. Color is a dark brown settling black.

Aroma: Right away I pick up an off flavor. I think it might be rubbing alcohol. It has chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some whiskey flavors. Pretty malty. Some caramel notes. Very roasty with coffee flavors.

Taste: Chocolate, oak, vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, leather, and alcohol showing. Some kinds of barrels showing, but I would have never guessed it to be Utopias.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and a bit warming. Medium to full bodied. A bit higher amount of carbonation. Ends dry and very roasty.

Overall, this one just wasn't what I was expecting. Nothing really reminded me of Utopias. Very roasted. Kind of a let down. Sounded a lot better than it tasted.

mothman, May 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Review from notes taken on 4-3-11. Hooked up from a generous trader named pimpmyporter. Thanks Brian.

This was sampled during our SundaySuperFriends gathering. I'm sitting and waiting for the slow guy to get the wax off the bottle. Cripes this is taking too long...soooo thirsty.

Finally my turn to pour into my Darkness Snifter. Jet black motor oil colored liquid fills my glass. A tan one finger high foam head sets atop the black ooze. Smokey bourbon on the nose. Slight earth tones emitting. Very smooth beer. In fact the guy next to me says I should right down smooth criminal much like Michael Jackson. Pretty sure I went cross eyed at the bad pun. Then i remembered he was an only child and was dropped on his head numerous times and the reason we were celebrating was his marriage to his mail ordered bride from Cambodia. His special day I will let the bad joke slide for now. Back to the beer. Smooth like I was saying. Roast and char with some chocolate. A hint of booze. Very nice beer. Coats the tongue very well. It would be no problem keeping this to yourself and not sharing. Hill Farmstead shines again.

TheDudeRules, Apr 22, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle. Apparently only 1 of 300 bottles made. Thanks to Mothman for sharing! Poued into a tulip glass a dark brown almost black color with a big mocha tan head that slowly settles down. Very roasty, coffee like aroma in the nose along with some dark chocolate and leather. The barrel comes across me as being rather mild and I never woudl have picked out the Untopias barrels being used. Some alcohol notes as well. Medium mouthfeel with carbonation, for me this is a downer and wished it had a more substantial feel. The flavor is roasted coffee and mild dark chocolate. The roast seems to be a tad heavy bordering on burnt coffee. Boozy. Dry oaky finish. Some dark fruit notes as well. Overall, a tad let down on this one.

kbutler1, Apr 15, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle received in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Super dark chestnut / mahogany to opaque black. The crown is 3 fingers, brown, shows loads of retention and good lace.

Smell: Medium roast malt, a wave of buffalo trace bourbon, a hint of vanilla, a dash of caramel, and some love :)

Taste: Nice combo of roast malt, bourbon, vanilla, and spicy hops. Good combo but I wish the flavor (and mouthfeel) was more "hefty" for what that's worth.

Mouthfeel: A tad thin for my liking with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Super drinkable thanks to nicely balanced flavors and a fairly light body. Still overall while I like this one I'm not loving it. The whole is not even as great as the sum of its parts.

koopa, Apr 08, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a tulip. Nice creamy mocha head with nice tiny bubbles around the rim of the glass. The body is pitch black. There is decently sticky lacing.

The aroma reveals a lot of vanilla making a sort of chocolate milk shake like aroma when mixed with the cocoa aromas of the grain. The aroma indicates a good amount of sweetness.

The taste starts out with a slight bitterness from the roasted grain. The bitterness is relatively mellow compared to many huge stouts I've had (I know it's a porter). The follow through mimics the aroma with a nice chocolatey flavor with vanilla undertones. The finish is clean and dry. This isn't as sweet as the aroma indicates, increasing drinkability.

This is relatively light and has a sharper carbonation than expected. Nothing bad, but not particularly special in the mouthfeel.

Another great beer from Hill Farmstead. They continue to impress and deserve my moneys.

andrewinski1, Mar 19, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle share courtesy of my tick partner Andy. Thanks again for cracking this one! Poured into a tulip. Beer pours black with about a finger of creamy dark tan head. Good retention on this as I've still got a small layer of foam after a while. Running soapy lace.

Lots of vanilla in the aroma with a touch of toffee sweetness to boot. Litte bit of earthy must in the aroma. Can smell the barrel nicely. It's just a touch of bourbon to be noticable with a slight bitter espresso finish. Nice roasty flavor on this. More of a coffee flavor than the aroma would lead on. The vanilla balances out a bit. Noticable but not overpowering. Nice bourbon flavor too! Just a touch to finish with a warming sensation.

Feel is great. Silky and creamy body with good carbonation. A bit heavy with a bit of heat to the finish but this is simply amazing. Overall, this is top of the charts. In a perfect world, everyone would get a hold of this one.

Bendurgin, Mar 19, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

500ml bottle into the new Lost Abbey tulip. March 17, 2011. Thanks to an unnamed BA for this.

The color reminds me of Hume's problem of the missing shade of blue. It's that missing shade of almost, so-close-to-being-black brown-black; I'm perceiving a color for the first time, even though I've already formed the idea. A two to three finger mocha head sits still atop the beer. The lacing leaves terrifying images on the side of the glass.

Fairly sweet nose of chocolate, anise, roasted malt, soft bourbon, and some spicy, wood character.

Amalgam of bittersweet chocolate, chocolate covered coffee beans, and licorice; then, sweet bourbon, butterscotch, and vanilla mid-palate; finally, a tiny bit of smoke, strong spicy woodiness, caramel, and a kick of a finish (featuring some boozy heat, anonymous earthy bitterness, and bittersweet chocolate). As with all of his beers, Shaun's barrel-aging is nicely integrated and really makes this a complex offering that differs from most bourbon bombs.

Medium-bodied, with typical low HF carbonation, making this porter light on the tongue, but creamy. It slides down the throat.

Another winner. I can't believe this was barrel-aged for seven months. The base beer must be peculiarly complex.

Verecund, Mar 18, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks go out to urwithdave for hookin this up at our stout tasting, yes, I know it's a porter, but come on. 500 ml. bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Rich deep brown color. The pour drops a small tan head that fades to nothing.

A: Sweet burbon, vanilla, and roasted character from the malt. Not much hop presence, but kinda expected from a BA brew.

T: This is very nice. The barrels play well with the base porter. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and burbon. The brew finishes slightly dry and sweet.

M: I find most BA brews to be a bit oily, but it was not the case here. Heavy body, minimal carbonation, but not slick.

D and overall impression: I could probably drink this bottle by myself but it would become a chore. Overall I thought this was one heck of a beer. I hope I get the chance to get my hands on some more HF soon. Skal.

Gtreid, Mar 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this twice now, but it seems to have been infected the second time, reviewing based on first experience.

A - Black as night with a tan head that had nice retention and left some stick on the sides. Faded to a nice cap that stuck around for a bit.

S - Chocolate, coffee, barrel, vanilla, some oak. Decent amount of roast and a little bit of smoke on the end.

T - Nice chocolate up front with a bit of bourbon. It's not overly sweet, with some nice roasted notes. Coffee and a little dark fruit that is not distracting. Very well done.

M - Creamy, full bodied, and moderate carbonation.

D - Pretty easy to get down, this is a quality beer that I liked quite a bit. Just drink it fast because I know of at least one bottle that turned.

AgentZero, Mar 11, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to the generous baconsausage, who has spun a double-handful of very good bottles my way in the past eight weeks or so. I have found myself getting more excited about these small homestead brews arriving these days that aquatic mammals of any kind.

500 ML bottle with that cool, minimalist Hill Farmstead look to it. Someday I am going to learn to get wax off a bottle without puncturing/almost puncturing my thumb; alas, tonight is not that night. Poured into my well-loved Terrapin snifter. I'm not much for giving a beer the once over, I'd rather reserve that for passers-by, but this thing looks like it belongs in a glossy add. Big, manly, wood-colored head beams out at me over a jet-black body. The aroma is just as fetching, chocolate, malty, vanilla, roast. Damn. I like where this is headed.

Barrel-Aged Everett slips into the palate with a wink & sly grin. Where to begin? An acrid beer, this is ashy-roasted. But after the roasted rush-hour passes by, subtle complexities abound. Chocolate & vanilla soothe & relax. Mid-beer the barrel arrives with a minute touch of port, an almost vinuous quality, dark fruits, & a quick stab of bittering hops. The downhill slide allows the cremated malts to re-establish themselves, with a side-serving of black licorice, but they're cut now by all of the other pleasantries making themselves known. Absolutely wow.

Creamy, full, & richer than your average porter in the mouth, with a hell of a lot more going on. And I'm now beginning to pout because there's only 500 ML. Could you put this in milk gallon jugs for me? Please? Pretty please?

Well, I was expecting this to be good, but it's a flippin' masterpiece. I've wasted enough words on this, I'm going to go enjoy this now. 'Bye.

maximum12, Mar 11, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

500ml bottle. No label, writing in silver pen. Gold wax at the top. I believe this was their first bottling. Thanks to gn0sis for this way too generous extra. Thanks Eric! Shared at our epic battle of the 12ozer. Poured into a snifter:

A - Pours a deep black with a nice fluffy, khaki head. Lacing is really nice and creamy. Head dies a bit into a nice puffy cloud.

S - Nice charred roast malts. Chocolate and creamy coffee. Porter like but not getting a lot of barrel in the smell. Nice though.

T - Nice bitter malts and a bit of heat from the barrel. Candy and chocolate. Porter taste in the front and barrel in the back. Pretty smokey.

M - Pretty carbonated and creamy. Barrel heat and a pretty smokey and roast dryness.

D - Overall, not a bad BA porter. I was hoping a bit more from the Utopius barrel but there was a lot of roast and malty characteristics. Not bad and thrilled to try it.

joshuaseresse, Mar 07, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium goblet. The beer pours black with hazy brown edges and a thick tan foam head. The head fades slowly, leaving oily patchy lacing on the walls of the glass.

The smell is milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee and hints of the distinct oily almost-citrus booziness of Utopias first and foremost. There are faint hints of dark fruits, followed by caramel, brown sugar and vanilla that come on strong along with some oaky barrel characteristics. The alcohol heat accents and supports the nose very nicely.

The flavor follows the smell very closely. The chocolate, coffee, caramel, brown sugar and vanilla are all present. They definitely take a back seat to the citrus booze flavors reminiscent of Utopias. The barrel flavors help to balance the boozy sweet notes nicely, before the charred coffee comes in and finishes the whole thing up. The bitter coffee character lingers on the tongue long after the beer is washed away.

The beer is medium bodied, well carbonated and well balanced. The alcohol sweetness and heat accent the flavors and body of the beer nicely, this is a great beer that I have enjoyed more than once. Another nice offering from Hill Farmstead.

rpstevens, Feb 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Finally catching up on some reviews. Unlabeled bottle poured into NB globe. Pours a thick opaque black with a thin tan head that settles to a cap. Big aroma of bourbon, vanilla, frosting, oak, sweet chocolate, some dark roasted malts. Taste is very sweet, malty, slight oak/wood flavors, some vanilla and bourbon, a touch of pine hops, some alcohol, slightly smokey in the finish. Heavy body with a light carbonation. This is one of my favorite Hill Farmstead beers so far. Big and complex but still well balanced, very drinkable. Probably a bit on the heavy side for a porter, but I like it.

nkersten, Feb 11, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Gold wax topped 500ml bottle poured into an over sized wine glass.

Appearance- Pours a deep black color. Appears thick and chewy. Beautiful light brown head that lingers for a few minutes. Small dots as well as large swooping arches lace the side of the glass. This is a wonderful looking beer.

Aroma- The first thing you smell is chocolate, and lots of it. The alcohol mixes with the chocolate to give it a very pleasing aroma. A hint of oak in the background, and thats it.

Taste - Much like the smell. Chocolate is up front in this one, a slight hint of the oak in the background, but this is chocolate all the way. Alcohol is well hidden, but again mixes some with the chocolate to give a great overall taste.

Mouthfeel/Drink- Very thick and chewy. Great body for this style of beer. As far as the drinkability goes, it is far too drinkable. At 8% this drinks like a 5% beer. Very tasty and I wish I had more. Great overall beer.

dsartwell72, Feb 07, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Dave (Sleepydave) for this one. Poured from a gold-waxed and capped 16oz. bottle into a Southampton oversize snifter.

A: Standard pour yields a quickly upward creeping frothy 2.5 finger mocha head with great retention. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is thick and web-like and covers almost the entire side of the glass. Great stick and pretty legs.

S: Nose is surprisingly subtle from a bourbon barrel-aged beer. Notes of roasted malt, chocolate, liquorice, creamy hops, and coffee beans. Barrel-aging is present but only in the background and provides an incredible backdrop. Could have a bit more oomph though.

T: Opens liquorice, bitter chocolate, and roasted malt ashiness. Creamy hop presence comes in towards the middle balanced out by sweet booze from the barrels. Very well executed. Smokiness arises at the end just as the barrel presence begins to fade. Finish is a slight tingle of sweet heat and some bitter chocolate. Roasted malt on the aftertaste. Barrel-aging here is unbelievably subtle and achieves a booze presence in the beer that is just right.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Fluffy, smooth and slick in the mouth with a nice lightness. Goes down extremely easily, almost caressing the palate and throat with its silkiness. Finish is messy and aftertaste is slightly sticky and lingers.

D: This is probably the most drinkable barrel-aged beer that I've ever come across. At 8% abv., its lighter than most other -bal aged imperial stouts and porters but the feel makes it go down incredibly easily. If anything, this brew puts Hill Farmstead on the map for me. An absolutely incredible beer all around. Worth seeking out!

SpeedwayJim, Feb 07, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

huge thanks to my friend up north for getting me this one. i was thrilled to finally open this gold waxed bottle. served into a snifter and split with my mother in law.

pour was dark as night with a heavy tan head that was thick and gave the beer that thick and creamy look i had so wanted it to be. nice lacing down the sides of the glass as well..

aroma starts with warm vanilla and roasted malts, hints of light oak and coffee, nice touches of chocolate and a warm brown sugar as it hits room temperature. flavor follows suit perfectly as the warming from the roasted malts and rich barrel flavor are simply superb. rich vanilla and caramel, chocolate, roasted coffee and a nice smooth finish that was dotted with notes of light bitterness that were balanced against the malts with near perfection, creamy, full and just a delightfully wonderful beer.

overall one of the better barrel aged beers i have had in a long time. i really enjoyed this one a ton!

mikesgroove, Feb 07, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

500ml gold waxed bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours a pitch black oily color with a one finger very dark brown fine and creamy head. Nose is roasty and chocolaty, it's a bit sweet and has that certain Hill Farmstead smell.

Right off this is quite solid, it's rich and creamy and has an amazing mouthfeel, very smooth and velvety. On the finish there's an alcoholic bite that lingers for a bit and helps for a dry finish. The bourbon is really well done, I can taste it but it's not too overpowering, honestly more well done than most.

kingcrowing, Feb 02, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -14%

Gold waxed bottle, split with 2fastcars. Had mine out of my Founder Snifter

A- Pours a rich black color, with a nice reddish brown head. The head retains very well.

S- Caramel and malt, and nice robust porter. I also get some Vanilla/Chocolate/and dark grain. I don't really smell much bourbon, maybe a little oak.

T-Creamy and smooth up front, with a pronounced dark malty/grainy aftertaste. Maybe a bit of chocolate and vanilla. I get very little bourbon. Could use a more flavor.

M- While the body is full, it's almost a little a watery at times. It's certainly smooth, but not too complex.

D- Pretty good, but from what I've had from HFS it left me just a little disappointed. The barrel aging of this beer just isn't very evident.

Gfunk720, Jan 28, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -24.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Generously shared by alfrantzell. Thanks, Arne.

A: Pours a dark brownish-black body. The head is a mocha color that retains fairly well; it leaves a small rim of sticky lace around the edges of the glass as it falls. Quite nice.

S: The beer gives off a tart, caramelized dark fruit aroma with oak and small vanilla. Roasted grain and chocolate reveal the presence of the base beer. The beer is lacking in pungency, but it has a good nose.

T: The promise of the nose dies a bit in the flavor. I don't pick up much of the barrel flavors at all, unless the restrained tartness / dark fruit is a symptom of Utopias -bal aging. What's stronger is a notable roasted grain flavor, with bits of coffee and some smoke on the finish. Something of a lackluster taste.

M: The beer falls off the tongue a bit fast. It seems to lack the heft it needs to absorb and complement the barrel well. Nonetheless, it's quite solid.

D: Having had a number of Shaun Hill's beers lately, most entirely by luck, I find this is an uncharacteristic disappointment.

Arbitrator, Jan 22, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

500ml bottle thanks to grassrootsVT.

Pours a very dark brown color with a massive tan head that lasts.

Rich roasty aroma with floral hops, slight oxidative notes, and dark chocolate.

Really rich, roasty, and chocolatey flavor, not sweet at all really. Charcoal and ash, in a good way, with piney and resinous hops on the finish.

Great dry mouthfeel, drying in a roasty way, with medium body and a creaminess despite the dryness.

Really excellent overall. Shaun, you've done well with this one. Possibly my favorite Hill Farmstead beer yet besides Ephraim.

nickd717, Jan 21, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Big thanks to nickd717 for opening a bottle of this at the Bruery RS Post-Party. Thanks again Nick! Served into a tasting glass.

A - Pours deep brown with a nice tan cap of head leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Quite earthy all around. Oak, chocolate, and plenty of dark roasted malt help balance some of the boozy smell. Pretty smooth overall.

T - Very earthy with hints of oak, chocolate, licorice, and some brandy? Not as much heat as I was expecting but still a bit hot. Lots of roasted malt in the finish that dries the pallet and lingers for a short period of time. Good balance but the body is lacking a bit.

M - Medium body with heavy flavors and moderate carbonation. Nice warming feel with plenty of dark roasted malt in the finish. A bit on the thin side toward the end, it could use a bit more body department.

D - Pretty easy to drink. Not the best barrel aged porter I have ever had but nowhere near the worst. I liked this one and I would love to try some of the other barrel aged hill farmstead offerings someday.

orangesol, Jan 17, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks, Nick.

Appearance: Black opaque body capped by a lasting tan head.

Aroma: Port-like notes, cocoa powder, charred grain, licorice, faint wood smoke. Subtle, integrated oak.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sharp and faintly acidic roasted malt, port-like fruitiness, dark roast coffee, hints of smoke. Just a touch of barrel, and barely a trace of alcohol. Not as much chocolate as the aroma suggests, heavier on licorice and heavily roasted grain. Dry, bitter finish. Easy drinking and complex, though it could use more body and barrel. I strongly prefer the non-barreled Everett.

largadeer, Jan 14, 2011