Everett (Barrel Aged) - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Everett (Barrel Aged)Everett (Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Batch 2: Barrel aged for 18 months in hand select bourbon barrels from our favorite distilleries.

Batch 3: Our Everett porter aged for over 28 months in hand-selected bourbon barrels from some of our favorite distilleries. 500ml.

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 11-27-2010)

claytong, Aug 17, 2012

coreyfmcdonald, Jul 20, 2012

raythealeman, Jun 26, 2012

AutumnBeerLove, Feb 21, 2012

phingdong, Jan 31, 2012

Afufnuh, Jan 24, 2012

crashoveride, Jan 22, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -6%

HF hasn't let me down yet, so I've got high expectations. Thanks Andrew! Chilled and poured into a HF snifter. I wouldn't have it any other way.

A - Pours black with a nice light-tan head. Thick head that stays around for a bit. Looks great. Sticks fairly well to the side, just about as good as a Porter could.

S - Dark malt with a little roast, oak comes through. A very slight amount of charred oak comes through, but it seems subdued. More virgin oak than charred.

T - Light roast and a slight amount of booziness that is trying to come though but never quite doe. Coffee, cocoa and vanilla come through towards the end and mix with some dryness.

M - Medium body, right amount of medium carbonation that provides a silky feel. Pretty nice, fits the style well.

O - I'm not generally a huge fan of straight Porters, but a BA Porter from HF was just too much to pass up. The barrel wasn't overwhelming and just seemed to add to the middle/back of the flavor. I'm pretty happy to have tried this one and really enjoyed it as a BA Porter. I really can't think of another of this style that I like more. Hopefully it is made again so I get a chance to try it fresh.

claaark13, Jan 05, 2012

sideshowe, Nov 15, 2011

twowheelssoar, Nov 15, 2011

jh1982, Nov 14, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

500ml waxed bottle sent a few months ago by tytoanderso poured into 2 snifters.

Pours jet black with a dark brown head great lacing.

Smells of bourbon, vanilla and coffee.

Taste is amazing huge milk choclate upfront that mellows out to a nice coffe and vanilla like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is amazing it has this almost mouth coating feel to it. If anything carbonation is a little high.

Overall great beer I wish I had more of this.

joefuzz, Nov 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Cracked this one open sitting outside with the Upper South Endzone of Beaver Stadium in the distance. Perfect fall weekend in Happy Valley.

A - Pours pretty vicious with a coffee head rising up. For a porter very dark and stout like. A real winner.

S - Dark roasts with chocolate, some smoke, oak, chocolate, and coffee. Bourbon smell was there but not overly strong which was fine with me.

T - Follows the smell with a dash of caramel and vanilla thrown in to boot. Dark roast with coffee and chocolate in there too. After having a ton of bourbon barrel beers, I'm starting to get slightly bored with them. I find the ones I am liking more are the ones that are not too bourbon forward so I very much liked this one.

M - Very nice and full for a porter. No complaints here.

O- Really nice beer, much enjoyed it. Sent compliments of kelp who is one of the really good traders on this site. This was another nice offering by a brewery that makes quality beers.

Beerisheaven, Oct 10, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pour is dark brown, small head

Smell: Oak, dark fruit, roasted malts, cocoa, smoke, booze

Taste: A bit sweet, close to port. Dark fruit, coffee, oak, roasted malts, smoke and booze

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, medium body

Overall: Nothing special here, I was not particularly impressed and was ready to move on.

craytonic, May 18, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -30%

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours a large layer of fizzy tan head. Decent retention with a lot of lace. Color is a dark brown settling black.

Aroma: Right away I pick up an off flavor. I think it might be rubbing alcohol. It has chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some whiskey flavors. Pretty malty. Some caramel notes. Very roasty with coffee flavors.

Taste: Chocolate, oak, vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, leather, and alcohol showing. Some kinds of barrels showing, but I would have never guessed it to be Utopias.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and a bit warming. Medium to full bodied. A bit higher amount of carbonation. Ends dry and very roasty.

Overall, this one just wasn't what I was expecting. Nothing really reminded me of Utopias. Very roasted. Kind of a let down. Sounded a lot better than it tasted.

mothman, May 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Review from notes taken on 4-3-11. Hooked up from a generous trader named pimpmyporter. Thanks Brian.

This was sampled during our SundaySuperFriends gathering. I'm sitting and waiting for the slow guy to get the wax off the bottle. Cripes this is taking too long...soooo thirsty.

Finally my turn to pour into my Darkness Snifter. Jet black motor oil colored liquid fills my glass. A tan one finger high foam head sets atop the black ooze. Smokey bourbon on the nose. Slight earth tones emitting. Very smooth beer. In fact the guy next to me says I should right down smooth criminal much like Michael Jackson. Pretty sure I went cross eyed at the bad pun. Then i remembered he was an only child and was dropped on his head numerous times and the reason we were celebrating was his marriage to his mail ordered bride from Cambodia. His special day I will let the bad joke slide for now. Back to the beer. Smooth like I was saying. Roast and char with some chocolate. A hint of booze. Very nice beer. Coats the tongue very well. It would be no problem keeping this to yourself and not sharing. Hill Farmstead shines again.

TheDudeRules, Apr 22, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle. Apparently only 1 of 300 bottles made. Thanks to Mothman for sharing! Poued into a tulip glass a dark brown almost black color with a big mocha tan head that slowly settles down. Very roasty, coffee like aroma in the nose along with some dark chocolate and leather. The barrel comes across me as being rather mild and I never woudl have picked out the Untopias barrels being used. Some alcohol notes as well. Medium mouthfeel with carbonation, for me this is a downer and wished it had a more substantial feel. The flavor is roasted coffee and mild dark chocolate. The roast seems to be a tad heavy bordering on burnt coffee. Boozy. Dry oaky finish. Some dark fruit notes as well. Overall, a tad let down on this one.

kbutler1, Apr 15, 2011