Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,359
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

This is the beer I would take on a desert island.
This is the beer I would take on a camping trip.
This is the beer I would take tailgating.
This is the beer I would drink if I had 1 day left to live.
This is the beer I would fill a six pack with to represent my local breweries.
This is the beer I would pick as my answer to any other repost you see on the forum.

It's is presented to you with an enormous billowing head that just sits on top of the unfiltered golden beer like a barrier keeping you from drinking it. The more you want to try it the more head you have to endure.

I can remember the first time I stuck my face in the first bag of hops I bought. This reminds me of that day. It's like if I were to make a mask for my face out of passionfruit, citrus peels and used hops as glue then stuck it on my head. The inside of the mask is what this beer smells like.

It's amazing how much this one hop can acheive. Its high alphas can achieve a palate wrenching bitterness but the softer side of it lends dynamic flavor and a unique tropical aroma making you think that this is all impossible. This is the Macgyver of hops.

8%?! You have to be joking. The very mild carbonation lets you suck this down like its 2012. I can see Galaxy becoming trendy among brewers pretty quick. Much like the Citra craze that is happening now.

After having had this each time it has been brewed (on tap and from growlers), it's about time for a review.

A - Hill Farmstead has the best looking IPA/DIPAs. Hazy orange with a white head. Sticky lacing all the way down. Just beautiful.

S - Fantastic. A hop explosion. Citrus, orange, tropical fruit, with a bit of pine/dankness thrown in. All this from one hop variety.

T - Follows the nose. Citrus, dank fruits, bright orange, etc. Any malt seems to cower in the background and fear for its life. This is the kind of DIPA I love. It's not too sweet or too malty, just beautiful hops. It's also bitter without being overly so.

M - Mouthfeel is very good. Nice and full and moderately creamy.

O - This is one of my favorite DIPAs. I have had all of Shaun's DIPAs, and not a one has failed to wow me. This is fantastic. I'm happy to see that it has become a regular in the DIPA rotation. I can't wait to see what new ones comes down the road.

I haven't reviewed very many beers, but I felt very compelled to do so for this one. Thanks to jsvt for sending a very fresh growler of this.

A - Pours a very hazy, golden yellow with a nice two finger off white head that lingered to the very end.

S - As everyone has been quick to point out, the aroma on this bad boy is incredible! It's exploding with citrus and tropical fruits at every turn. Orange zest, grapefruit, pineapple and piney hop notes. Hill Farmstead really nailed the smell on this IPA.

T - Much of what is present in the nose is exactly what you get upon your first sip of this perfectly crafted brew. Again, citrus and tropical flavors dance all over my tongue. Orange rind, lemon zest, pineapple, mango and maybe some peach. This is all finished up on the backend with a resinous piney bitterness. It's all balanced perfectly. Very drinkable.

M - not overly carbonated. A think mouthfeel which adds to the body. Not overly bitter.

O - This has definitely moved to the top of my list when it comes to IPA's. I highly recommend seeking this out and trying it for yourself.

Hill Farmstead - Double Galaxy, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Cloudy straw golden with an amber hue and a small soapy head. Great lacing. Great looking brew as per usual from HF.

Smell - Dank citrus from Galaxy hops, touch of malt but otherwise hops take center stage. Hill signature yeast.

Taste - Mouthful of juicy Galaxy hops. Dank citrus followed by some lemony zest and pine.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium bodied with light-medium carbonation. Rests citrus and pine bitter. Slight warm booziness but definitely well balanced. Great drinkability.

Overall - Great Galaxy hop brew, HF almost goes without saying that it's going to be a treat.

Aromas of orange, tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, alcohol and flowers
Taste is so smooth and balanced. Far from the typical over-resinous or sweetened dipa. Citrus, hint of pepper (alcohol?) but not boozy at all.
Bitterness is dry, fruity, smooth, perfect.
Overall, that's the kind of ipa i've always dreamed to drink. One of my best beer from HF so far

Thinking this will be the pinnacle of our Vermont trip on Saturday, December 29th. This was tapped that Saturday morning and we grabbed three growlers of it. Reviewing new years eve....

A- double galaxy pours a hazy golden yellow body that bursts with colors equivalent to the brightest yellow highlighter you will ever see. A plethora of white foam bursts onto the stage leaving massive spider web lacing on the edges of my hill farmstead stem glass. Very vibrant and inviting. On second thought, it's glowing.

S- A whack of pineapple juice blasts forth with mango and apricot flavors. Absolutely citric and as juicy as it gets. DG is as fruity and citric as it gets. Nevertheless there is a bitter element coupled by some herbal scent. A little pine at the exit and not to mention the alcohol is hidden. These galaxy hops are off the charts.

T- A sweet rush of grapefruit that is enrobed in pineapples laces my mouth with brilliant bright flavors. This is like a tropical getaway for your palate. Astringent flavors of ripened fruit it matched with some caramel sweetness that has not been seen before. Whatever Shaun Hill did with the initial use of galaxy hops was essentially magnified by the dry hopping with the same hops. A perfect score for a DIPA when you include some mouth watering bitterness as well

M- refreshing, crisp, sticky, resinous flavors all over. Perfect feel

O- nearly three years on beeradvocate and finally it has happened for me. A 5/5. This is the best beer I have ever tasted. The attention to detail to this brew established the best DIPA in the planet in my opinion. What a brew. Give Double Galaxy the credit it deserves and drink it fresh! Great job Hill Farmstead!!!!

Had on tap at a few locations in VT yesterday:

A: Pours a hazy orange with 1-2 fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and leaves awesome lacing.

S: So how does it smell? As good as Abner/Double Citra? BETTER!!! A perfect balance of citrus, tropical fruits, floral notes, pine, and a touch of herbal dankness. Extremely strong aromas that jump out of the glass. I was nothing short of amazed at the depth and complexity a single hop could have.

T: As great as the nose is, the taste out does it. The hop character is just as the nose: tangerine, mango, grapefruit, lots of floral notes with a touch of spiciness, herbal dankness in the background, with tons of bitter pine resin on the top of the tongue. As always, there is a big toasted malt base that tastes rich and fresh. There's a moderate to light level of sweetness (mainly crystal) in the middle of the tongue that allows the citrus/tropical fruit notes from the hops to really open up with a juicy quality. The sweetness disappears toward the back of the mouth leaving a fairly crisp, dry finish. The hops are nearly as strong on the finish as they were at the beginning of the sip, there's practically no fading in this guy! Dry, bitter, pine finish with a ton of lingering hop flavors. There's almost no alcohol visible anywhere.

M: Medium body, moderate to slightly high carbonation, as resinous as it gets. Smooth and rich with a refined crisp finish. Bitterness all around.

O: I love Double Citra and Abner blew me away, so I was fairly confident that Shaun had another monster in his hands with this Double Galaxy. I guess my expectations weren't high enough, because this beer still managed to blow me away. It's a beauty to look at, I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass all night, tastes like liquid heaven. Perfect balance of hop flavors with incredible intensity both in the nose and taste, a strong malt base to compliment the hops, but not too sweet as to take away from the pine resin and dry bitter finish. Hops simply don't fade at all, extremely long finish. For 8%, I couldn't get any alcohol and it was a very easy drinker. I should have bought more of this stuff.

Note: I HATE giving perfect scores and I don't want to be over-hyping Hill Farmstead, but Shaun just keeps making ridiculous, perfect IPAs. I can't find any flaws or any areas upon improvement.

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

The second you pour the galaxy the citrus assaults your nose- I immediately thought of pink grapefruit blood orange and tangerines. Certainly more of a citrus overtone and a fruity undertone- mango for sure. Fuck the blah blah shit- amazing hops character with excellent grapefruit and tangerine taste in the background. Quite bitter but doesn't go too far overboard, not a strong booze taste at all (very well masked) and not so malty, however why the fuck would I want malt in a doub? Insane hops is what is what I came for and its what I got in return. I live in VT so not so hard for me to get my hands on, but if you can do so its worth a 2 hr wait in line

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

Light straw colored body with a fluffy white head. Smell is citrus juice with light pine and almost fruity. This is probably the best IPA I've ever had including many from Alpine, Heady, Pliny, etc. The balance is incredible, and this drinks juicy but not sweet. The hop is incredibly delicate and the star of the show. Nothing gets in the way of the hop. Pretty much a perfect beer.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Well shit. A good man in brooklyn got me this hazy creature. He simply said "give it a try" and mailed a giant box. That jerk.

The bomber(counter pressured filled off a keg) pours a hazy, murky golden orange. that, the haziness is the only negative thing I have to say. Everything else, it perfect.

Before I can even pour the hops hit my nose, massive citrus notes, mostly tangerine and pink grapefruit. A little clean white head covers the beer and lets loose this ridiculous smell. Flavors are perfect clean IIPA, tangerine followed by grapefruit, leading to pine and finishing with a clean malted bitter. Sexy.

Damn, I gotta get to that east coast soon.

4.96/5  rDev +9%

A - A cloudy Honey yellow with one finger white head.

S - tropical fruits and citrus followed by pine

T - pineapple, citrus, pine and a sweet malt. Perfectly balanced. INCREDIBLE

F - medium bodied and smooth. medium carbonation.

O - This may be the best beer I've ever had. Absolute knock-out! It beats the Heady Topper IMO. I'd love to have it back to back with Pliny The Younger.

4.96/5  rDev +9%

Growler-share my friend picked up one day at the brewery. From notes, finally getting around to reviewing.

Appearance: Dark golden pour into a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thick head that slowly dissipates and leaves the glass thoroughly laced.

Smell: Huge juicy citrus and tropical fruit. Grapefruit is strongly present. Hops and a piney resin scent a lightly present in the backbone, but this one is all citrus.

Taste: The galaxy hops really shine here. Grapefruit, orange, tropical fruits. Lightly bitter to start, with a stronger, lasting bitterness to finish. Beautiful.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation with a medium body. Slick and smooth on the palate.

Overall: This is by far the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had. I drank this immediately after a Heady Topper and it put my previous favorite of the style (and still much beloved) to shame. I can't wait to try the other single hop experiments from Shaun. Incredible.

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Growler poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Really nice hazy yellow orange, with two fingers of which foamy head. Head hangs around and leaves some really nice matted lacing. Body has a beautiful glowing aspect to it.

Smell: Huge grapefruit and tangerines up front, followed by some pineapple. Some light pine, but this is a citrus bomb. Some very light honey and biscuits on the back.

Taste: Bitter, juicy grapefruit explosion up front. Lots of citrus, some mango, and other tropical fruits. A nice bready sweetness tries to balance, but this is a hop assault. Finishes bitter with citrus.

Mouthfeel: Very juicy, and quite bitter. A nice medium body that has a certain breadyness to it. Finishes bitter.

Overall: This beer definitely lives up to its hype. An absolute citrus explosion. I think I personally prefer Double Citra, but one of the best nonetheless.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

Tonight marks the third time I've had this beer (once at the Blind Tiger event, once at the brewery, and now from growler) and the third time it's blown me away.

Appearance is a cloudy, amber/gold, with a nice, half- to one-finger head that lingers long enough.

Easily the most striking feature when drinking this is the aroma. Explosive citrus hop character that fills the air without assaulting you; you don't have to bury your face in the beer to find something worth noting, it's overflowing the glass.

The taste is also exceptional; citrus to equal the nose, bitter yet balanced by a sneaky sweetness and hint of earthy pine.

As for the mouthfeel, it took some time and comparison to note how exceptional it really is. At Blind Tiger, I had this side-by-side with Ephraim; at the brewery, obviously it was stacked up against the other outstanding HF beers, and tonight it was served up by chance next to Pliny the Elder. I don't necessarily think that the practice of side-by-side tasting is about one beer winning over another, it really just allows for comparison of style and highlights relative success amongst like-styled beers. This beer succeeds. This is not your typical hop-forward, hit-it-and-quit-it IPA. It really fills your mouth. Here I am typing and it's been literally minutes since my last sip and there's still the flavor developing in my mouth. Truly beyond comparison.

I can't imagine a better beer (a 4.0 in appearance simply because it's unfiltered and the cloudiness makes me think "overcast" versus "clear skies"). Cheers to Shaun and Dan and this truly delicious brew. Can't wait to refill my gorgeous growler. Worth way more than every penny spent and every minute behind the wheel, sleet and snow notwithstanding.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

ok, i haven't had this for about a year, so i'm going from memory. But the memory is a beautiful thing. This beer was "SUMMER IN A GLASS"! big fruity grapefruit aroma just radiating out of the top of the glass. the taste was bright grapefruity hops. summer in Vermont is SHORT and a glass of this beer helps you to pause and take in and enjoy every moment you can and think "hey, i can walk down the street in shorts and a t-shirt and feel just fine!"

this is the land of the Alchemist's wonderful Heady Topper (which i am enjoying right now) and the idea of a Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy brings a smile to my face.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

There are a few beers that defy review. This is one, but I still managed some notes. Some notes. Not a lot. And I was sharing a 64oz growler with only two others. Big big thanks to myspoonistoobig for driving to VT to get this beer at Hill Farmstead. It's just freaking epic.

Brewed - as the name states - with the single hop strain of Galaxy, the beer has an orange hazy hue with a wonderful off white head. The lacing sustains as it sits there looking like just another good beer. If you're a finding fault person, you had better find fault here: there aren't many other places. Because it's way better than just another beer. The aroma smashes you on the first sip. It's a mix of citrus first, followed by pine and grass. But honestly my notes aren't much of a help here. "Smell: 5.0. Amazing. Pure joy."

So apparently they put joy in this brew. They must, because Praise the Lord the taste follows the aroma. The hops are tamed and tempered by the malt, but also enriched. I can't describe it with the little beercabulary I have. It feels perfect, it drinks perfect.

Simply put, try this beer.

Drank on-tap at Armsby Abbey, Worcester, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a super cloudy, peach color and was topped by a small, flimsy white head. Spiderwebs of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was amazingly fruity and pungent. Tons of tropical fruits, including mango, papaya and pineapple. Super strong notes of peaches and apricots. Lots of tangerine juice as well. Pure hop nectar in a glass!

Intense peach and apricot notes also appeared in the flavor profile. Dank and resiny with a slightly floral hoppiness. Some honey was apparent, along with a touch of caramel malt sweetness (just enough for balance). Ruby red grapefruit came through on the crisp, slightly dry finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and supple on the palate.

Galaxy Imperial Single Hop IPA is a ridiculously hopped yet super smooth and drinkable double IPA. It is definitely one of the top three versions of the style I have ever sampled and one of my favorite beers overall.

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Much thanks to Michael for providing this one!

Pours a dull golden amber with a huge fluffy white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing as it fades to a thin layer that remains for most of the drink.

Holy citrus! Loads of juicy oranges and grapefruit, with a slight resiny presence. Not much malt to be found, but that's the way a good hop bomb should be.

Taste is equally as citrusy and juicy. No doubt this one is loaded with hops, but it's extremely smooth and balanced. Slightly sweet with minimal malts to be found.

Pretty thick and sticky in the body with lots of find carbonation. Pretty bitter up front, but the finish is as smooth as can be with no lasting bitterness, excellent. This is an absolutely fantastic DIPA. I'd love to be able to have this on a regular basis, maybe I should look for a job in Vermont...

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Had at the Blackback Pub.

Pours a cloudy light orange with a decent head into my glass. Very colorful and appealing.

Strong citrus notes. Very remiscent of a ripe orange with just a hint of mint.

Mango and orange flavors mingle with the taste buds. Mellow. Subtle. Not excessive. Wonder if it woulld go well with a cheese plate?

Citrus and mango mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

Yet another marvelous, highly drinkable example of the style from Hill Farmstead. At this point, there is precious little that can match the quality of this brewery.

All I can say is AWSOME!

The smell of this beer is fantastic with that fresh hop juice aroma, very prominent citrus and floral over tones. You can smell it even before you get it up to your nose.

The body is medium and the taste is just as good as the smell. It has a great fresh grapefruit / hop taste with a slight piney bitter finish. The way an IPA should be.

This is a great beer and I am lucky to have one of the few kegs of Galaxy available from Hill Farmstead at my home.

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

4.89/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks again, jchem! From growler labeled best by 10/16 into nonic pint.

A. Cloudy, hazy goldenrod. Three finger white head with big soapy bubbles and coating lacing.
S. Mmmmmmm, those Galaxy hops. Like a sun drenched citrus farm. Bursting with tropical scents and just a little bit of a herbal hop and doughy malt backbone. Perfect.
T. Close to perfect. It's loaded with flavor but doesn't quite "pop" like the nose. I'm not having this super fresh but it ain't stale either. Honey drizzled tangerine rind, watermelon, candied oranges, and drying grassy hops. Yum.
F. Big, creamy, luscious, coating, refreshing. Bright and expressive with nice complexity.
O. One of the very best IPAs around. Would enjoy again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

Tasted multiple times off a 1/6 barrel I'm lucky enough to have sitting in my fridge.

A beautiful hazy yellow-orange sunburst when held up to a gorgeous summer New Hampshire sky. Really, this might be the best looking beer I've ever seen. A two-finger white foam collar settles down quickly after a vigorous hand pump. Sea spray-like rings form on the sides of the glass after each sip and gradually recede back into the opaque yellow-orange depths.

The nose on this is unlike most of Shaun's other stellar DIPAs/IPAs as it is much more herbaceous and floral than tropical. Dank marijuana, fresh basil, sage and nettle mix with scents of pine and various flowers. Notes of Mandarin orange and mango can be found, but definitely not at the fore. Wow! This is my first experience with a single hop beer featuring Galaxy and all I can say is "Wow!"

As usual with HF's beers the nose is carried over to the palate almost verbatim. This is one bitter beer but in the best way possible. The finish is ever so slightly sweet after the onslaught of bitter and is so damn clean that you'll find yourself salivating for the next sip. This makes this 8.1% abv libation eminently drinkable and dangerous!

The mouthfeel is exceptional and another thing that Shaun gets spot on with his beers. It's soft with just enough of an edge from perfect carbonation. Silky but not too oily. Perfect.

Overall, this is a tremendous DIPA and might be my second favorite beer from Hill Farmstead (single Citra being my favorite). A fantastic beer in every regard.

Double Galaxy from Hill Farmstead Brewery