Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Wants: 1,165
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

(Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Galaxy Alström Bros

RWNay, Feb 26, 2013

JGLittle, Oct 06, 2014

Mayhem, Feb 07, 2014

Polasiuss, Feb 09, 2013

miadw3, Feb 16, 2013

SuperHop18, Oct 13, 2014

Irishace9, Jan 14, 2014
4.99/5  rDev +8.7%

The second you pour the galaxy the citrus assaults your nose- I immediately thought of pink grapefruit blood orange and tangerines. Certainly more of a citrus overtone and a fruity undertone- mango for sure. Fuck the blah blah shit- amazing hops character with excellent grapefruit and tangerine taste in the background. Quite bitter but doesn't go too far overboard, not a strong booze taste at all (very well masked) and not so malty, however why the fuck would I want malt in a doub? Insane hops is what is what I came for and its what I got in return. I live in VT so not so hard for me to get my hands on, but if you can do so its worth a 2 hr wait in line

80x2HopHead, Mar 19, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +8.7%

Light straw colored body with a fluffy white head. Smell is citrus juice with light pine and almost fruity. This is probably the best IPA I've ever had including many from Alpine, Heady, Pliny, etc. The balance is incredible, and this drinks juicy but not sweet. The hop is incredibly delicate and the star of the show. Nothing gets in the way of the hop. Pretty much a perfect beer.

PHBoiler, Jan 13, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

Well shit. A good man in brooklyn got me this hazy creature. He simply said "give it a try" and mailed a giant box. That jerk.

The bomber(counter pressured filled off a keg) pours a hazy, murky golden orange. that, the haziness is the only negative thing I have to say. Everything else, it perfect.

Before I can even pour the hops hit my nose, massive citrus notes, mostly tangerine and pink grapefruit. A little clean white head covers the beer and lets loose this ridiculous smell. Flavors are perfect clean IIPA, tangerine followed by grapefruit, leading to pine and finishing with a clean malted bitter. Sexy.

Damn, I gotta get to that east coast soon.

olympuszymurgus, Jul 20, 2011
4.96/5  rDev +8.1%

A - A cloudy Honey yellow with one finger white head.

S - tropical fruits and citrus followed by pine

T - pineapple, citrus, pine and a sweet malt. Perfectly balanced. INCREDIBLE

F - medium bodied and smooth. medium carbonation.

O - This may be the best beer I've ever had. Absolute knock-out! It beats the Heady Topper IMO. I'd love to have it back to back with Pliny The Younger.

SirBentham, Dec 29, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +8.1%

Growler-share my friend picked up one day at the brewery. From notes, finally getting around to reviewing.

Appearance: Dark golden pour into a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thick head that slowly dissipates and leaves the glass thoroughly laced.

Smell: Huge juicy citrus and tropical fruit. Grapefruit is strongly present. Hops and a piney resin scent a lightly present in the backbone, but this one is all citrus.

Taste: The galaxy hops really shine here. Grapefruit, orange, tropical fruits. Lightly bitter to start, with a stronger, lasting bitterness to finish. Beautiful.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation with a medium body. Slick and smooth on the palate.

Overall: This is by far the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had. I drank this immediately after a Heady Topper and it put my previous favorite of the style (and still much beloved) to shame. I can't wait to try the other single hop experiments from Shaun. Incredible.

vonnegut21, May 08, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +7.8%

Tonight marks the third time I've had this beer (once at the Blind Tiger event, once at the brewery, and now from growler) and the third time it's blown me away.

Appearance is a cloudy, amber/gold, with a nice, half- to one-finger head that lingers long enough.

Easily the most striking feature when drinking this is the aroma. Explosive citrus hop character that fills the air without assaulting you; you don't have to bury your face in the beer to find something worth noting, it's overflowing the glass.

The taste is also exceptional; citrus to equal the nose, bitter yet balanced by a sneaky sweetness and hint of earthy pine.

As for the mouthfeel, it took some time and comparison to note how exceptional it really is. At Blind Tiger, I had this side-by-side with Ephraim; at the brewery, obviously it was stacked up against the other outstanding HF beers, and tonight it was served up by chance next to Pliny the Elder. I don't necessarily think that the practice of side-by-side tasting is about one beer winning over another, it really just allows for comparison of style and highlights relative success amongst like-styled beers. This beer succeeds. This is not your typical hop-forward, hit-it-and-quit-it IPA. It really fills your mouth. Here I am typing and it's been literally minutes since my last sip and there's still the flavor developing in my mouth. Truly beyond comparison.

I can't imagine a better beer (a 4.0 in appearance simply because it's unfiltered and the cloudiness makes me think "overcast" versus "clear skies"). Cheers to Shaun and Dan and this truly delicious brew. Can't wait to refill my gorgeous growler. Worth way more than every penny spent and every minute behind the wheel, sleet and snow notwithstanding.

myspoonistoobig, Apr 22, 2011

Ken_P, Yesterday at 12:11 AM
4.95/5  rDev +7.8%

ok, i haven't had this for about a year, so i'm going from memory. But the memory is a beautiful thing. This beer was "SUMMER IN A GLASS"! big fruity grapefruit aroma just radiating out of the top of the glass. the taste was bright grapefruity hops. summer in Vermont is SHORT and a glass of this beer helps you to pause and take in and enjoy every moment you can and think "hey, i can walk down the street in shorts and a t-shirt and feel just fine!"

this is the land of the Alchemist's wonderful Heady Topper (which i am enjoying right now) and the idea of a Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy brings a smile to my face.

JohnSvag, Oct 14, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +7.8%

Growler poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Really nice hazy yellow orange, with two fingers of which foamy head. Head hangs around and leaves some really nice matted lacing. Body has a beautiful glowing aspect to it.

Smell: Huge grapefruit and tangerines up front, followed by some pineapple. Some light pine, but this is a citrus bomb. Some very light honey and biscuits on the back.

Taste: Bitter, juicy grapefruit explosion up front. Lots of citrus, some mango, and other tropical fruits. A nice bready sweetness tries to balance, but this is a hop assault. Finishes bitter with citrus.

Mouthfeel: Very juicy, and quite bitter. A nice medium body that has a certain breadyness to it. Finishes bitter.

Overall: This beer definitely lives up to its hype. An absolute citrus explosion. I think I personally prefer Double Citra, but one of the best nonetheless.

cfrances33, Jan 05, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +7.8%

There are a few beers that defy review. This is one, but I still managed some notes. Some notes. Not a lot. And I was sharing a 64oz growler with only two others. Big big thanks to myspoonistoobig for driving to VT to get this beer at Hill Farmstead. It's just freaking epic.

Brewed - as the name states - with the single hop strain of Galaxy, the beer has an orange hazy hue with a wonderful off white head. The lacing sustains as it sits there looking like just another good beer. If you're a finding fault person, you had better find fault here: there aren't many other places. Because it's way better than just another beer. The aroma smashes you on the first sip. It's a mix of citrus first, followed by pine and grass. But honestly my notes aren't much of a help here. "Smell: 5.0. Amazing. Pure joy."

So apparently they put joy in this brew. They must, because Praise the Lord the taste follows the aroma. The hops are tamed and tempered by the malt, but also enriched. I can't describe it with the little beercabulary I have. It feels perfect, it drinks perfect.

Simply put, try this beer.

afksports, Jun 09, 2011

Drank on-tap at Armsby Abbey, Worcester, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a super cloudy, peach color and was topped by a small, flimsy white head. Spiderwebs of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was amazingly fruity and pungent. Tons of tropical fruits, including mango, papaya and pineapple. Super strong notes of peaches and apricots. Lots of tangerine juice as well. Pure hop nectar in a glass!

Intense peach and apricot notes also appeared in the flavor profile. Dank and resiny with a slightly floral hoppiness. Some honey was apparent, along with a touch of caramel malt sweetness (just enough for balance). Ruby red grapefruit came through on the crisp, slightly dry finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and supple on the palate.

Galaxy Imperial Single Hop IPA is a ridiculously hopped yet super smooth and drinkable double IPA. It is definitely one of the top three versions of the style I have ever sampled and one of my favorite beers overall.

Damian, Dec 30, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Much thanks to Michael for providing this one!

Pours a dull golden amber with a huge fluffy white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing as it fades to a thin layer that remains for most of the drink.

Holy citrus! Loads of juicy oranges and grapefruit, with a slight resiny presence. Not much malt to be found, but that's the way a good hop bomb should be.

Taste is equally as citrusy and juicy. No doubt this one is loaded with hops, but it's extremely smooth and balanced. Slightly sweet with minimal malts to be found.

Pretty thick and sticky in the body with lots of find carbonation. Pretty bitter up front, but the finish is as smooth as can be with no lasting bitterness, excellent. This is an absolutely fantastic DIPA. I'd love to be able to have this on a regular basis, maybe I should look for a job in Vermont...

321jeff, Jul 28, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

TheDudeRules, Apr 19, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Had at the Blackback Pub.

Pours a cloudy light orange with a decent head into my glass. Very colorful and appealing.

Strong citrus notes. Very remiscent of a ripe orange with just a hint of mint.

Mango and orange flavors mingle with the taste buds. Mellow. Subtle. Not excessive. Wonder if it woulld go well with a cheese plate?

Citrus and mango mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

Yet another marvelous, highly drinkable example of the style from Hill Farmstead. At this point, there is precious little that can match the quality of this brewery.

Brad007, Apr 09, 2011

All I can say is AWSOME!

The smell of this beer is fantastic with that fresh hop juice aroma, very prominent citrus and floral over tones. You can smell it even before you get it up to your nose.

The body is medium and the taste is just as good as the smell. It has a great fresh grapefruit / hop taste with a slight piney bitter finish. The way an IPA should be.

This is a great beer and I am lucky to have one of the few kegs of Galaxy available from Hill Farmstead at my home.

itsmebillyb, Jul 04, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

yourefragile, Jul 08, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

lnashsig, Jul 08, 2011