Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,302
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Galaxy Alström Bros
Ratings: 836 | Reviews: 155
4.57/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to MikeyPNH for scoring this growler for me.

Pours a hazy light golden honey with 2 fingers of thick foamy head. The head slowly dissipates to a light layer of foam that persists.

Smells delicious. Citrusy hops and grass.

Tastes great. The transition from the hoppy deliciousness to the bitter aftertaste is super smooth.

This is another great DIPA from Hill Farmstead. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to any hop lover.

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. An unfiltered, peach-orange body holds up a thick, foamy, white head. Lots of beautiful lacing.

The nose is filled with orange wedge citrus and grassy, slightly spicy, hops throughout. Some sweet malts and a touch of grapefruit.

Grassy, peppery hops, caramel, crushed orange wedge and sweet malts on the tongue. This is like drinking hoppy liquid candy. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium to low carbonation. Nice level of hop bitterness throughout. Finishes fairly clean. Not quite as crisp as some of the other HF offerings. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is another solid DIPA from the Hill Farmstead. Drinks like a single IPA, but is packed with a ton of flavor. I'm really digging the Galaxy hops. It seems like Shaun can do no wrong with IPAs/DIPAs. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served from a growler into HF tulip

A: Poured a murky bright yellow with orange highlights. 1.5 fingers of a bright white head

S: Wow. This is where this beer shines. HUGE tropical and stone fruit notes: sweet peach, papaya, pineapple, coupled with nice citrus elements - lemon peel, orange, and grapefruit.

T: Ton of that tropical fruit in the front of the mouth. Lemon peel emerges a little bit towards the middle of the tongue. Finishes quite dry and bitter

MF: Spot on. Medium body with carbonation on the lower end. Works perfectly.

O: Super drinkable, refreshing, at at 8%, the alcohol is not present at all.

I could drink this consistently. Paired great with spicy food. HF does not disappoint once again. Was worth the 2 hour wait in the cold. Cheers!

4.14/5  rDev -9.6%

2L growler, drank a week later. Very murky hazy blond pour with very small head. Probably the worst looking beer I’ve had from Hill Farmstead. Aroma is a burst of tropical fruits, mango and pinneaples with a woody and rustic touch. Taste: Citrusy and spicy hops. Not as expressive as the other HF DIPA I’ve had but highly drinkable. Full bodied med-low carbonation. A little attenuated because it wasn’t consumed as fast as it should have. Should have drank this one sooner, but still very good nonetheless.

4.37/5  rDev -4.6%

On the tap at Blind Tiger, this beer had the misfortune of being sampled directly after the magic of Ephraim. How could anything top that sick bastard? Well, this one would attempt to use my memories against me, trick me into thinking it was better. Even though this was a new hop, a descendant of Perle, it reminded me of standing in the gigantic Hopunion refrigerated warehouse, swaying, intoxicated by the brilliant and bold aromas of citrus assaulting me. In an instant with my nose in the glass, I was transported back to Yakima, a kid in the nose candy store. The flavor was nice, some sweetness, oranges, tangerines, and the resins lingered with the sweetness nicely. Ultimately, another awesome DIPA, but quite a different brew.

4.05/5  rDev -11.6%

Growler courtesy of Andy. Thanks!

A: Cloudy lemon yellow. Foams dies down after a decently aggressive pour. Legs are OK. Not perfect, but acceptable. Might be turbulent still from the shipping.

N: Clementines, pineapple, grapefruit. Pretty intense citrus. However, I don’t find there to be much depth to this. It’s like a wind through an orange grove.

T: Very full. Pine and earth. Lots of citrus: Mandarins, passionfruit, pineapple. Quite tasty, but like the nose, it seems to hit a high dimension in the front and leave the back end lacking.

M: Sticky and filling. Alcohol is well-hidden.

O: A very solid DIPA and not when I’d ever turn down. Balanced and flavorful, bitter and filling, but it feels like it’s lacking another dimension which would bring it to the top tier for me.

4.56/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very cloudy amber orange color with a very modest head that leaves a few spots of lacing.

Big fruity and spicy hop aroma is very inviting. Oh there is mango, grapefruit, melon, maybe a touch of strawberry. The Hill Farmstead signature great smell is all there!

Flavor is also full on hops - tropical and citrus fruits mixed with a bit of pine and spice on an appropriate malt base that lets the hops have all the limelight.

Medium body, slightly chalky and definitely mouthcoating. Although this is a big beer with a lot of flavor, it still feels fresh at the end of the glass and is very gentle for what could be a palate wrecker - really amazing in that regard.

Rustic with a big intense hoppyness. Seek this one out!

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a fresh 750ml growler into a HF stemmed Tulip

Review #200

Appearance- Hazy orange with big 2 finger bubbly white head that left great lacing.

Smell- Big tropical fruits, nectarine, peach, tangerine, clementine, mango, pineapple, white grape, light malt background, and a slight hint of booze.

Taste- Big citrusy hops with light grassy/pine notes. Peach, grapes, oranges, earthy floral notes. No hint of booze in taste at all.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, with a medium body. No booze heat, very drinkable. Not very bitter, but very fruity.

Overall- A very well-crafted IIPA from Hill Farmstead (obviously). Very good beer that I could drink all day.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Growler driven back from Vermont by me. Also sampled at the Three-Penny, Armsby Abbey, and a sampler at the brewery. Just outstanding every time!

A: Perfect golden straw body with a huge white head. massive lacing.

N: Sharp citrus liquid sunshine nose. I want air freshener that smells like this!

Flavor is incredulous hop juiciness to the nth magnitude! Serious sunshine on my tongue with citrus character on the order of fresh squeezed orange juice.

Mouthfeel is thin, slick, slightly toothstrippy. Medium carb, hides it's ABV well.

Overall is just outstanding! My favorite IPA ever...maybe.

4.41/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler from my main HF man Glouglouburp - pours a muddy orange with a nice frothy white head. Nose - mango, grassy hops. Taste- big tropical fruit punch followed with grassy and pine notes. Very resinous and has a lingering white grapefruit rind bitterness. Some sweet pale malts also come through but by and large a fairly dry dipa. This is one helluva hop monster- very unique offering.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

The second you pour the galaxy the citrus assaults your nose- I immediately thought of pink grapefruit blood orange and tangerines. Certainly more of a citrus overtone and a fruity undertone- mango for sure. Fuck the blah blah shit- amazing hops character with excellent grapefruit and tangerine taste in the background. Quite bitter but doesn't go too far overboard, not a strong booze taste at all (very well masked) and not so malty, however why the fuck would I want malt in a doub? Insane hops is what is what I came for and its what I got in return. I live in VT so not so hard for me to get my hands on, but if you can do so its worth a 2 hr wait in line

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

A - A cloudy Honey yellow with one finger white head.

S - tropical fruits and citrus followed by pine

T - pineapple, citrus, pine and a sweet malt. Perfectly balanced. INCREDIBLE

F - medium bodied and smooth. medium carbonation.

O - This may be the best beer I've ever had. Absolute knock-out! It beats the Heady Topper IMO. I'd love to have it back to back with Pliny The Younger.

This is the beer I would take on a desert island.
This is the beer I would take on a camping trip.
This is the beer I would take tailgating.
This is the beer I would drink if I had 1 day left to live.
This is the beer I would fill a six pack with to represent my local breweries.
This is the beer I would pick as my answer to any other repost you see on the forum.

It's is presented to you with an enormous billowing head that just sits on top of the unfiltered golden beer like a barrier keeping you from drinking it. The more you want to try it the more head you have to endure.

I can remember the first time I stuck my face in the first bag of hops I bought. This reminds me of that day. It's like if I were to make a mask for my face out of passionfruit, citrus peels and used hops as glue then stuck it on my head. The inside of the mask is what this beer smells like.

It's amazing how much this one hop can acheive. Its high alphas can achieve a palate wrenching bitterness but the softer side of it lends dynamic flavor and a unique tropical aroma making you think that this is all impossible. This is the Macgyver of hops.

8%?! You have to be joking. The very mild carbonation lets you suck this down like its 2012. I can see Galaxy becoming trendy among brewers pretty quick. Much like the Citra craze that is happening now.

4.12/5  rDev -10%

Had this one at the Hop Head Throwdown, and reviewed from notes. I made sure to start with this guy, to go in with a fresh palate.

Appearance- Hazy orange or apricot color. Sort of a cloudy gold, with a hint of amber. Thick two inches of head. It takes a moment to settle, but I can barely wait.

Smell- Huge tropical fruits. Just massive. Mango, tangerine, a fruit bowl for sure. A little dankness as well. That sort of dank, pot-like aroma. Very good.

Taste- Follows the nose. Delicious fruits lead off. It's like a fruit punch. Pineapple, mango, tangerine, the whole nine. It gets very, very bitter on the end. The bitterness leads to a dank, almost herbalness. The finish is almost grassy. I love bitter beers, but the finish on this one is sort of detracting from the actual flavors. It transitions from huge fruit, to huge bitter pretty quickly, I'd like it a little smoother.

Mouthfeel- Pretty thick, unfiltered, reminds me of Kern River Citra. A tad heavy, but good.

Overall- Not the smoothest beer ever, and it honestly got a little hard to finish. I remember just throwing down the aforementioned Citra, ordering one after another. This one, I needed a break before getting a second pour. I found the extremely bitter, grassy finish a little off-putting. I think there is a reason that people often mix hops. I enjoyed the aroma aspects of this hop more than the bittering ability, it appears. It's 9/10 of being a truly spectacular beer, but it just misses.

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

Hill Farmstead Galaxy, paid a visit to the brewery in Greensboro Vermont and cannot wait to go back. Billed as "Double Galaxy" and sold at $9 per 750ml bomber (plus $3 cost of the capper bottle).

Appearance: This looks great - super orange-amber-hazy. Classy and rustic, with a bit over one finger of white-and-bubbly head, very frothy. Good retention and solid lacing.

Smell: Super fresh and full of the best of citrus.

Taste: Super citrusy and carbonated, sticky around the roof of the mouth. A fresh, orange and zestful taste and tropical feel.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, flavor and carbonation.

Overall: Another great beer from HF!

4.72/5  rDev +3.1%

122nd Review
Growler to snifter

From notes. Thanks to CharlieMurphy for sending this amongst other HF treats in a wonderful trade!

A: Burnt orange. 2+ (frothy white) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Earthy and hoppy with loads of citrus fruit...you name it has it - mango, guava, orange, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, etc. Hugely inviting!

T: Oh so nice! The wonderful citrus fruit in the nose is perfectly balanced with earthy hops and smooth bitterness. Simply perfect! No joke.

M: Medium bodied with perfect carbonation.

O: Beautifully balanced beer! Another wonderful beer for these folks. So smooth and easy to drink it's almost dangerous. Luckily there was a group of folks to help enjoy the growler; otherwise, it might have been tempting to enjoy it over a day or so by myself. Will definitely seek this out again!

4.67/5  rDev +2%

Served on-tap at the Blackback Pub in Waterbury, Vt. in a stemmed Hill Farmstead glass.

Very cloudy and light gold in color. Definitely unfiltered. Small head and some huge lacing.

Aroma of dank tropical fruit--mango, pineapple, passionfruit, some citrus.

Tastes like tropical hop juice. Big orange, pineapple and passionfruit flavors. Minor catty flavors. Little to no malt notes. The hop flavor is a great showcase of Galaxy hops. This beer lacks the usual pine/earthy/citrus-rind hop distinctions.

Mouthfeel is medium in thickness, creamy and mildly carbonated. It goes down like nothing, but doesn't feel like water, either.

Hill Farmstead nails every hoppy beer they make, and this is no exception. It may be the best IPA or DIPA I've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Well shit. A good man in brooklyn got me this hazy creature. He simply said "give it a try" and mailed a giant box. That jerk.

The bomber(counter pressured filled off a keg) pours a hazy, murky golden orange. that, the haziness is the only negative thing I have to say. Everything else, it perfect.

Before I can even pour the hops hit my nose, massive citrus notes, mostly tangerine and pink grapefruit. A little clean white head covers the beer and lets loose this ridiculous smell. Flavors are perfect clean IIPA, tangerine followed by grapefruit, leading to pine and finishing with a clean malted bitter. Sexy.

Damn, I gotta get to that east coast soon.

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this growler to the tasting. I've been wanting to try some HF for a long time, and was stoked to see this. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange with a frothy two finger heads that slowly dissipates leaving gobs of lacing.

S- Ripe juicy passionfruit, lemon, mandarine, pineapple, mango, peach and a good chunk of caramel malt.

T- Matches the aroma with a boatload of tropical and citrus fruits, floral hops, a bit of pine and the perfect amount of the caramel malt to provide a perfectly balanced DIPA.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes slightly dry. Perfect.

O- In my notes, I wrote smooth about 5 times and that is really what this beer is. A perfectly balanced DIPA that keeps the bitterness in check with the right amount of caramel sweetness. I was not let down by the hype surrounding HF IPA's and I'm craving to try more.

Thanks again Bryan!

4.9/5  rDev +7%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%

A- A murky yellow-orange with a thin white frothy head. Plenty of lacing to go around.

S- Hops! Plenty of zest and citrus. Nice and tropical.

T- Strong and slightly bitter. But the zest is so nice. The aroma pours over into the flavor.

M- Nice and crisp. It's a truly refreshing beer.

O- One of my personal favorites. A nice 8% ABV with a kick. Its crisp, refreshing taste will have you sitting back and enjoying this beer for time to come.

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

Growler courtesy of Barnesy148927; thank you very much for getting this out to me. Hope the Expo Hop made it worth it!
Filled ~ 8/13/11

Poured from Swing-Top Fill to Oversized Wine Glass.

A: Deep bread crust orange/yellow with some bold foam sitting over the beer like clouds. Really very lofty foam that leaves rain drops of lacing as it recedes. This is a very deep orange/persimmon jam in the glass. I would say marmalade, but it's much thicker and darker than that. Organic raw honey look that makes me excited to taste.

S: Huge tropical fruit character that exhibits those more unusual fruits: Passion fruit, Mango, and a bit of guava with rind. A bit of tangerine citrus mixes with lemony zests. Though I would say the only thing very citrusy about this is the zesty spritzy essence, while the smell character is actually tropical in a slightly unusual way. This reminds me a bit of the Kern River IPAs in the nose. Which I think are some of the best smelling beers on the planet.

T: The taste is a bit more ordinary than I would have hoped (It's single hop, I know, but I can dream). A really rounded grapefruit rind and connective tissue flavor that lingers closer to mandarin oranges/clementines. A very light bitterness that doesn't come off harsh in any way whatsoever. There's a big "oily" character to the flavors that I can't quite pinpoint, but it soothes over any potential room for alcohol to peak in the flavor. Oily flavors mix with alcohol to create a cloak for the alcohol.

M: Okay, this mouth is phenomenal. This is so buttery and so creamy I can hardly believe it came out of a growler. I'm very glad that it's held up this well, but really this is just an outstanding lightly bursting bubble mouth that just slips down the throat like some delicious broth. Even if the taste wasn't that good, the mouth feel would make this crushable for me. Fortunately the flavor is good, and the mouth almost convinced me it tasted better than it does. light burstings of small bubbles match a silky slipper nectar mouth.

O: It's impressive to see what HFS can do with a single hop DIPA, but I have to say I felt teased. The look and the smell gave me that same sort of build up that non-fresh Just Outstanding IPA does. It looks awesome, it smells fantastic, it tastes.... not quite as good. Don't get me wong, exceptionally well made, but it doesn't compete with its other characteristics. Before you light the torches and cry blasphemy, let me just say that this is still just a single hop DIPA. Galaxy tastes good, but I still want a cocktail of hops in my glass. All things considered, this is super good. I just wish more was there in the flavor to compliment the amazing aesthetics and feels. If nothing else, this beer makes me want to try ephraim quite badly. If HFS can do this well with a single hop series, then I've got to know what other potions they can concoct. The brewers up there are certainly masterful in their creations, I just want to know what they can do beyond the limitations of a single-hop. A good beer where the flavor stood out far too much as the weakest link.

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml to Lawson's Sniffer

A: Golden orange hone cloudy and basically completely opaque with a thick white fluffy head looks pretty much exactly like a dipa should in my opinion

S: Smells of tropical hops there is pretty much nothing there but hops but it has such a presence that you can almost smell the bitterness

T: HOP BOMB this thing literally punches you in the mouth with hops instantaneously after taking even the smallest sip. This resides some as the beer warms and the hops start of have a juicer flavor with some citrus notes, but there is still a strong bitterness with hints of pine resin. This beer is pretty much straight hops in terms of flavor profile but I see nothing wrong with that.

M: The feel is very oily and resinous you can almost feel the stickiness in your mouth and it lasts for a pretty decent amount of time after the finish. There is not much carbonation but the bite from the bitterness makes up for it with crispness.

O:This is a hop head's dream especially if you like galaxy and bitterness. I really enjoyed this and does live up to the hype, but it is a little too much for me, however compared to everything else this beer is amazing. If you can get your hands on it try it for sure.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

Hill Farmstead Galaxy
Poured from a HF growler which I bought on 3/21/2012 into my glass (date 4/11/12).
A: Pours a brown/orange with a large head. Cloudy but uniformly so.
S: Lemon zest, some pine and citrus notes. Overall a simple but great IPA smell.
T: Musty, some citrus and some hop very balanced and a little malty.
M: Hops and malt fills the mouth all of which are good and balanced.
O: A great IPA. It would have been better fresher, but no worries. I would drink this on a weekly basis the only problem is there really nothing that particularly seems to stand out to me and it’s way too far out of the way to buy this when nothing stands out.

Double Galaxy from Hill Farmstead Brewery