Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Double Galaxy
No picture.

Wants: 1,349
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.
4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

I've had this beer on-tap at the brewery, on-tap at Parker Pie Co. (near the brewery), and this is the second time I'm enjoying it from a growler. 750ml Hill Farmstead flip-top growler into my Bruery tulip. All to myself! (don't worry guys, I got a 2nd one to share).

A - Pours a FL orange color, white frothy head, sticky white lacing, lots of bubbles along the collar and cap, thin whisps on top.

S - An wonderful aroma of bitter hops, tons of orange peel citrus dominate the nose. Tons of hops, but, it's really nothing like I've ever had before. Very juicy, rich, and just plain outstanding. There's some sweetness there on the finish that's very tropical, peaches, pineapple.

T - Orange peel, mango, some tropical notes and lots of wonderful hops. The bitterness is smooth and enjoyable, not trying to destroy your palate like many other inferior DIPA's. You know this is a DIPA without it screaming "look at me"...it's refreshing.

M - Perfect, to say the least. Smooth, refreshing, soft carbonation, with a medium body.

O - Seriously, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I looked, I tried, I failed. I've had this beer in draft, out of a growler, from a taster, from a wine glass, tulip, etc. I still can't find a flaw. I would put this DIPA up against any of the same style from any brewery, it's just that good. Not a palate destroyer, not overly sweet or syrupy, just f'n awesome. Shaun, you killed it with this beer!

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%

The keg of this one came and went way to quickly at the Birdsall House in Peekskill, NY. If not for the heads up from Stone's Dennis F. I might have missed it.

Pours heavily clouded, dull, dark tangarine amber, well groomed head, with ample webs of lacing left behind..

Muted ripe mango, lite smoke and some grapefruit on the nostrils.

Ruby red grapefruit, mangoes at back with a note of hot sauce. Nice spicy/sweet balance. Smooth grapefuit pith infused finish. Clear quality, dense and complex mixture of flavors, fresh, yummy and complex. The Hill Farmstead brews have been consistantly living up to the hype/buzz..Well worth seeking out this one

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

3.95/5  rDev -13%

Growler shared by Whitemomba-- thanks Jason!!

Served in FFF tulip pint.

A really hazy beer here-- a lot like other HF beers that I've had actually... It's a golden apricot color with a nice two finger head. The bubbles are big and loose, and due to that fact, it seems we don't see great retention or lacing.

The beer smells and tastes very nice: citrusy lemon and grapefruit with some dank floral notes, all over a light bready/biscuity malt. Very dry and bitter finish. Clean and fresh.

Body is nice. Well carbed and medium light.

Overall, this is a good beer... Not the best HF beer I've had, but still good.

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

Tremendous thanks to SFLpunk and imagineiii for making this possible, and ensuring that quite a few people in the DC circle will get to try this one out. First 750 is all for me. Nothing like having over a dozen tickable pours all to myself.

Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip glass.

Pours a moderately-hazy bright apricot color with a strong two-finger white head. Fairly fluffy. There's some good retention and gobs and gobs of spotty lacing as it goes down the glass. Good collar and -- appropriately -- a galaxy-swirl cap on top throughout.

The nose starts out with some very, very strong citrus. Lots of grapefruit and orange rind. Some tropical mango in the background. Some more hops. Then some more. Damn. As it warms, the grapefruit takes a bit over from the orange and tropical notes. One of the better smelling DIPAs that I've come across. Me giving something a 5.0 is rare. It being a DIPA that doesn't feature Citra is even rarer. I'm not a Citra fanboy at all :) (That's right, a smiley face in a review...I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.)

The flavor begins with some supremely-aggressive hop components. Grapefruit pith abounds. Looking for serious hop action? Whoop, there it is. Smiley face? Check. Old-school "ashamed to have had singed and danced to" song? Check. Banging on all cylinders tonight. Reference to Brian Regan. Class act.

Other than the all-out grapefruit assault, there's some malt in the background. Who am I kidding? No there's not. It's all hops. This is what a double IPA should be. As has been a frequent topic of forum discussions, no, hops don't belong everywhere. Straight fact, though: malt does not belong in an American Imperial IPA. It simply does not. That's an American Barleywine. Shaun gets an A+ here for brewing a beer that is an all-out hop assault that I never need a break from. The bitterness and flavor both take me to the brink, but never off the edge. So much hop flavor and bitterness all in one package.

Medium body with a brisk, crisp bitterness and moderate carbonation. No real alcohol character. Strong bitterness. Then some hop fruitiness. Nearly a flawless beer. Now, given that this review is about eleventy billion times my average review length, I think I'll call it quits. Cheers.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

All I can say is AWSOME!

The smell of this beer is fantastic with that fresh hop juice aroma, very prominent citrus and floral over tones. You can smell it even before you get it up to your nose.

The body is medium and the taste is just as good as the smell. It has a great fresh grapefruit / hop taste with a slight piney bitter finish. The way an IPA should be.

This is a great beer and I am lucky to have one of the few kegs of Galaxy available from Hill Farmstead at my home.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at Blackback pub.

Pours slightly cloudy with a medium sized tight sticky head. The aroma is phenomenal, lemon, grapefruit, mango, passionflower and a little oniony dankness. Taste is more of the same, just not quite as incredible as the aroma. The citrus hits hard up front, gives way to some slightly sweet malt (hint of medium crystal), which then disappears into a wonderful complex hop finish. Medium-light body with just enough alcohol evident to push the hops into your tongue. Smooth and dangerous.

I cannot believe that something this complex only contains one hop!

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Hunted this one all over NYC and finally was rewarded with 32oz growler from Decicco's Ardsley.

A: Gorgeous orange pour of your typical DIPA, looks great.

S: Awsome nose of tropical fruits followed with hops, no complaints.

T: Explosion of fruit flavors, leaves you wanting more and more and more

M: Very very nice, slight bitterness in aftertaste, very smooth

D: Super high, give me more holy crap.

This beer tastes just like Double Sunshine except a bit less on the explosion of fruit in the taste department, but the description of liquid heaven by other reviewers is very accurate. The fact that I gave Double Sunshine all 5's is the only reason that I didn't give this one all 5's. Not sure if that's fair but, there's nothing wrong with this one. Do what you can to get ahold of this beer its worth it.

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ginger Man in NYC. Served in a large snifter.

A - Arrived with a finger-plus of creamy white foam that settled to a thin cap, leaving behind splotchy lacework. Hazy peach body.

S - Initially it's big grapefruit, some light orange, candied citrus, and light notes of vanilla and pine. There's a faint hint of alcohol too. As it warms up some tropical fruit notes emerge.

T - Again, plenty of intense grapefruit pith and rind mingle with light caramelized sugars and tropical fruit flavors. Initially quite bitter, particularly in the finish, but gains sweetness and complexity over time. Alcohol is better hidden here.

M - Medium body, medium-low carbonation, a super dry finish, and plenty of residual hop resins. No alcohol warmth. Pretty much what I expect from a Hill Farmstead DIPA.

D - A very hop-forward DIPA for the East Coast - Shaun E. Hill knows how to get it right. I downed my glass in record time, and could have gotten quite hammered from a few of these if I hadn't had elsewhere to be. Looking forward to the bottles/growlers Sean is bringing back from the VT.

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

On-tap at the Fourth Avenue Pub in Brooklyn, served in a goblet

A hazy orange body sits below a one+ finger yellow infused cap. Head fell slowly and left chunks of lace all over the glass. I have yet to see an iipa that looks any better.

The aroma is dripping with citrus and tropical fruit. Juicy orange, mango, white grapefruit with pine needles and some herbal dankness. Hmm, one hop varietal giving up all of this? Amazing.

Delicious. Absolutely freaking delicious. Juicy oranges, mangoes, white grapefruit, ganja and pine needles. Follows the nose closely. Clean, fresh malt, lightly toasted holding down the middle before the hops pummel your palate. A flat out assault on the taste buds. The bitterness is bold and clings to the inside of your mouth.

The finish is dry and bitter. Medium feel with perfect carbonation. Resiny and chewy. This guy means business.

Overall, this beer is near perfect. It's actually hard to not rate this all 5's. Galaxy hops lend tremendously deep aromas and flavors. It's amazing you could get one hop to deliver on all fronts.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Tapped straight from the keg @ Rochefort10nh's place. Reviewing from a growler.

Price - $130 per 1/6 barrel

Pours turbid with a shade close to that of apricot accompanied by a fluffy white two inch head. Laces nicely with polka dots. The appearance is like a 9.0 on the beach.

The aroma is strong with hemp resin and herbal hops. Oranges, lemon, mango and pine are all there behind the backdrop of grapefruit. The fruit and pine blend well together and add to the balance.

The flavor is much more earthy than what I was expecting. Not as fruity and sweet as the nose would suggest. Grapefruit, orange and caramel are hidden in there. No sense of the 8.0% punch lurking in the dark so beware.

The mouthfeel is intense and sticky with a bitter dry finish. It does settle down a bit as it warms. Has a medium body with a near perfect carbonation feel.

Overall I enjoyed this beer many times over several days. As a DIPA this is very dangerous due to it's high drinkability. Perfect for this time of year and another solid offering from the areas best brewery.

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy orange with a big white head. Nice retention and good lacing.

S: Strong mango notes with tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Bright and aromatic. Touch of saltine cracker. Killer fruit profile.

T: Amalgamation of tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Smooth upper moderate bitterness with just a little of alcohol. Lots of hop flavor. The dry finish displays an increase in bitterness with accompanying grapefruit rind.

M: Medium in body with lower moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: Another good hoppy beer from Hill Farmstead. I'm liking the Galaxy hop.

Had on tap at a few locations in VT yesterday:

A: Pours a hazy orange with 1-2 fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and leaves awesome lacing.

S: So how does it smell? As good as Abner/Double Citra? BETTER!!! A perfect balance of citrus, tropical fruits, floral notes, pine, and a touch of herbal dankness. Extremely strong aromas that jump out of the glass. I was nothing short of amazed at the depth and complexity a single hop could have.

T: As great as the nose is, the taste out does it. The hop character is just as the nose: tangerine, mango, grapefruit, lots of floral notes with a touch of spiciness, herbal dankness in the background, with tons of bitter pine resin on the top of the tongue. As always, there is a big toasted malt base that tastes rich and fresh. There's a moderate to light level of sweetness (mainly crystal) in the middle of the tongue that allows the citrus/tropical fruit notes from the hops to really open up with a juicy quality. The sweetness disappears toward the back of the mouth leaving a fairly crisp, dry finish. The hops are nearly as strong on the finish as they were at the beginning of the sip, there's practically no fading in this guy! Dry, bitter, pine finish with a ton of lingering hop flavors. There's almost no alcohol visible anywhere.

M: Medium body, moderate to slightly high carbonation, as resinous as it gets. Smooth and rich with a refined crisp finish. Bitterness all around.

O: I love Double Citra and Abner blew me away, so I was fairly confident that Shaun had another monster in his hands with this Double Galaxy. I guess my expectations weren't high enough, because this beer still managed to blow me away. It's a beauty to look at, I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass all night, tastes like liquid heaven. Perfect balance of hop flavors with incredible intensity both in the nose and taste, a strong malt base to compliment the hops, but not too sweet as to take away from the pine resin and dry bitter finish. Hops simply don't fade at all, extremely long finish. For 8%, I couldn't get any alcohol and it was a very easy drinker. I should have bought more of this stuff.

Note: I HATE giving perfect scores and I don't want to be over-hyping Hill Farmstead, but Shaun just keeps making ridiculous, perfect IPAs. I can't find any flaws or any areas upon improvement.

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Tasted multiple times off a 1/6 barrel I'm lucky enough to have sitting in my fridge.

A beautiful hazy yellow-orange sunburst when held up to a gorgeous summer New Hampshire sky. Really, this might be the best looking beer I've ever seen. A two-finger white foam collar settles down quickly after a vigorous hand pump. Sea spray-like rings form on the sides of the glass after each sip and gradually recede back into the opaque yellow-orange depths.

The nose on this is unlike most of Shaun's other stellar DIPAs/IPAs as it is much more herbaceous and floral than tropical. Dank marijuana, fresh basil, sage and nettle mix with scents of pine and various flowers. Notes of Mandarin orange and mango can be found, but definitely not at the fore. Wow! This is my first experience with a single hop beer featuring Galaxy and all I can say is "Wow!"

As usual with HF's beers the nose is carried over to the palate almost verbatim. This is one bitter beer but in the best way possible. The finish is ever so slightly sweet after the onslaught of bitter and is so damn clean that you'll find yourself salivating for the next sip. This makes this 8.1% abv libation eminently drinkable and dangerous!

The mouthfeel is exceptional and another thing that Shaun gets spot on with his beers. It's soft with just enough of an edge from perfect carbonation. Silky but not too oily. Perfect.

Overall, this is a tremendous DIPA and might be my second favorite beer from Hill Farmstead (single Citra being my favorite). A fantastic beer in every regard.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

got this growler in the Regional Growler BIF. First off thank you Baconsausage. Now the review.
Absolutely amazing. From the appearance, to the smell, to the taste, this is now my White Whale. Absolutely amazing. For the Hop fiend, this is a great one to seek out. I cant give this beer enough praise. Mos Def will seek out again.

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

There are a few beers that defy review. This is one, but I still managed some notes. Some notes. Not a lot. And I was sharing a 64oz growler with only two others. Big big thanks to myspoonistoobig for driving to VT to get this beer at Hill Farmstead. It's just freaking epic.

Brewed - as the name states - with the single hop strain of Galaxy, the beer has an orange hazy hue with a wonderful off white head. The lacing sustains as it sits there looking like just another good beer. If you're a finding fault person, you had better find fault here: there aren't many other places. Because it's way better than just another beer. The aroma smashes you on the first sip. It's a mix of citrus first, followed by pine and grass. But honestly my notes aren't much of a help here. "Smell: 5.0. Amazing. Pure joy."

So apparently they put joy in this brew. They must, because Praise the Lord the taste follows the aroma. The hops are tamed and tempered by the malt, but also enriched. I can't describe it with the little beercabulary I have. It feels perfect, it drinks perfect.

Simply put, try this beer.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

On draft at the Blind Tiger, NYC.

Poured a hazy bright orange hue with a one finger frothy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a balmy earthy hop spice with a touch of juicy orange. some tropical notes as well.

The taste consisted of consecutive waves of pine, pepper and grapefruit With a moderately doughy malt.

The moutfeel was toward the cleaner side of the style.

Overall an excellent DIPA.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Cheers and thanks to weeare138 for sharing this brew.

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a hazed golden orange color. When held to the light it displays some greenish and yellow hues around the edges. The head formation is soft with white bubbles that hang close to the edge if the glass. Spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The smell of this brew is downright fantastic. Citrus explosion in the nose with a fruity rindy aspect that is a little catty in character and herbal as well. The aroma comes across quite sweet and fruity with such a sick abundance of juicy hop oils. It is somewhat spicy and as it warms picks up a vinous twinge, fantastic all around.

The taste of this brew is rindy with citrus and spices, it has a lasting catty character that also turns more herbal in flavor. There is a spiced aspect to the hop flavor that gets a bit grassy as the experience continues. The malt backing is light and bready, maybe a bit biscuit-like that provides a soft sweetness to let the hop be the showcase in this offering. It has a lasting aftertaste of grassy and herbal bitter rinds.

This is a light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated and exceptionally easy drinking. Fantastic straight across the board. On this occasion, Ephraim was suppose to be the star of the show and this Galaxy offering completely stole the show. Supposedly this offering was more fresh than Ephraim but still I was blown away. For my first experience with Galaxy hops, I am very anxious to see more of this and get my hands on more of Hill Farmstead's offerings.

4.41/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler from my main HF man Glouglouburp - pours a muddy orange with a nice frothy white head. Nose - mango, grassy hops. Taste- big tropical fruit punch followed with grassy and pine notes. Very resinous and has a lingering white grapefruit rind bitterness. Some sweet pale malts also come through but by and large a fairly dry dipa. This is one helluva hop monster- very unique offering.

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

Super excited to try this, swing-top growler poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 5/3/11

A: Pours a bright, cloudy orange with large off-white head and good retention that leaves lots of lacing around glass.

S: Smells absolutely delicious, tons of sweet citrus and piney hops make it hard to type this without taking a sip. Some alcohol and barely any malt aromas are detectable beneath the hops. Awesome!

T: Tastes just as delicious as it smells if not better. Perfectly balanced, nice hop bitterness that isn't overpowering with tons of flavor from the juicy piney and citrus hop resins. Just the right amount of malt to let the hops dominate the taste without being overly malty yet provide enough sweetness to balance out the bittering hops. Balance and flavor are spot on.

M: Moderate carbonation with sticky, medium-full body that coats my mouth with delicious hoppy goodness.

O: Awesome imperial IPA, my first offering from Hill Farmstead and I am not disappointed one bit! I will admit that I prefer my IPAs to be clear but when it smells, tastes, and feels like this I don't care one bit! I want more!

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Presentation: 64 oz. growler (they were out of the nice Hill Farmstead swingtops) poured into a tulip glass. Growler split amongst a couple friends.

Appearance: Pours a really impressive, white fluffy and full head. Cloudy orange in color. The growler certainly did well in holding the carbonation as this is exactly how it tasted earlier in the day on tap.

Aroma: Big grapefruit, pine and sweet tropical fruit notes dominate the nose. Impressive hop presence here.

Taste: The hops truly dominate here and they are really impressive. Grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest, and some strong pine are all here in full force. Some nice sweetness from the malt is a nice underlying note as well. The aftertaste is a tad bitter and can wear thin over a couple glasses.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy. Coats the mouth wonderfully.

Overall, a really impressive and strong IPA. A great way to showcase this hop. The flavors are big and bold. This is certainly not for the timid. A really nice hop bomb and something I would love to try again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Special Thanks to BearsonAcid for providing this in a trade. I was saddened to have to wait a week+ to dip into this growler, but the time has come.

Pours with a finger of very creamy bright white head. Retention decent & lacing is intense. All over the glass. The beer is a slightly hazy orange color

Aroma is fantastic. Blast of tropical fruit, grass, lots of herbaceous tones and this all is quite nice.

I can certainly see why this is receiving some great scores. Excellent. Full flavor front to back. Tropical, citrus (orange) and even some apricot. A touch of mint and even the herbal flavors that are apparent in the aroma. The lingering bitterness is sprinkled with some real fruity flavors. A bit of mango at the end. Nice! ABV is not really in your face, but you can tell this is bigger than a standard IPA.

Medium body and somewhat muted carbonation. I can’t tell if this is from a growler sitting for a week, so I’ll ignore this. (besides, I like that)

Great DPA. Fresh, juicy flavor with a bog hop punch.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at The Blackback Pub & Flyshop in Waterbury. 10 oz. pour into a small Allagash cervoise, which was a bummer given that they had plenty of Hill Farmstead glasses. Oh well.

Hazy gold in color with a solid off-white head and residual lacing. Nose is incredible, with tons of citrus notes. I savored the scent for a bit before taking a sip. Taste is equally as impressive: fresh hop bite but with some mild creaminess to it. Not as bitter as most DIPAs, but the dank hop bitterness is still noted. This goes down way too easy and did no damage to the palate. Another fine offering from Hill Farmstead.

4.69/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Re-review 9/27/15 enjoyed from the 750ml growler shared with tenderbranson69 in a Hill Farmstead goblet.
The color is golden peach with 3 fingers of voluminous white head with fine bead and lace clings in rings on the inside of the glass. The smell is light floral at first with lots of tropical fruit and light herbal with subtle spice and very light alcohol in the aroma. The feel is excellent with very juicy texture and resinous with moderate carbonation and lightly sweet mid palate with semi-high bitter element into a dry finish.

The taste is tangy and tropical with slightly bitter flavor in the back with hops overwhelming the flavor profile with a slight fruity and juicy quality with subtle pine and very floral quality with zesty lemon and mild pineapple tropical quality yet subtle stone fruit and citrus compliments the combo with low malt taste and slihght lemongrass quality with low alcohol in finish with a nice lingering bitterness. Overall a wondefrul IPA, just about as close to perfect as yoou can imagine -I increased the score because on a fresh palate it seems even more vibrant than I remember. A single hop galaxy is great to enjoy I was so glad to have been able to share this with my brother!

back in 2010?
Look- 4.5 Smell 4.5 Taste 4.5 Feel 5 Overall 5
I am very appreciative to weeare138 for sharing this. enjoyed from a snifter.

A hazy apricot color w/ slightly sunny appearance and small head w/ spots of lace collecting. The smell is so fragrant! a juicy nose of pineapple and very tropical in general with dank juicy aroma and some floral elements from the hop w/ mild apricot and light grassy odor w/ slight honey tinge in the back. The malt body is smooth allowing for the hop bitterness which is not coarse at all, moderately carbonated w/ juicy texture and light bits of malt interwoven w/ some highly resinous effects from the hop oils.

A slightly lemony and juicy tropical hop flavor is saturating this with some fresh and almost mango-like flavor w/ subtle citrus edges and light tea-like herbal notes. There is a mild spice tinge w/ moderate malt in the finish that seems to tie the whole flavor profile together. It doesn't really strike me as a normal single hop flavor since it has a good deal of complexity and doesn't have the one-note quality of some single-hop IPA's. Overall a wonderful beer to display the great complexity of a very unique hop-Galaxiy really shines in this brew and I admire the great things Shaun from Hill Farmstead can do to Pale ale w/ some amazing smoothness for an 8% Imperial IPA!

Double Galaxy from Hill Farmstead Brewery