Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Wants: 1,116
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

(Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Galaxy Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »
TheDudeRules

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

04-19-2011 17:48:12 | More by TheDudeRules
corby112

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a frothy two finger pillowy white head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

Another incredible smelling beer from Hill Farmstead. They really know how to nail down the nose on an IPA(all of their beers for that matter). This beer is exploding with tropical an citrus fruit notes which are nicely complimented by the floral earthy, notes and faint pale malt. Hints of pineapple, mango, grapefruit and citrus peel alongside grassy, piny hops and sweet biscuit malts.

I tried Ephraim before this and while that beer looked and smelled incredible, the flavor and palate let me down so my expectations for Galaxy weren't the highest. Thankfully this beer lived up to the appearance and nose. Chewy medium body with an complex, delicious flavor profile. Again, as in the aroma, the palate is bursting forth with sweet citrus and tropical fruit notes. Hints of papaya, pineapple and mango as well as a boat load of citrus rind. This is countered by an earthy resinous pine bitterness that creates excellent balance and makes this beer dangerously drinkable. There's also some faint biscuit pale malt adding to the balance and complexity and there is little to no heat, resulting n an excellently masked ABV. I was very impressed with this beer. I highly recommend that you seek it out.

04-18-2011 22:41:32 | More by corby112
TomStew

Quebec (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow! This beer tastes like pineapple juice. It is so hoppy it's incredible.The Galaxy is really showed up and you prefer much know what that hops tastes like after drinking this DIPA. The color is great, pale, yellow with a white head.

The mouthfeel is juste a little bit thick, enough to give it body. It's hoppy but not overly bitter like some IPA's and that makes it very drinkable. Overall a really great beer!

04-17-2011 14:46:57 | More by TomStew
BearsOnAcid

This is the beer I would take on a desert island.
This is the beer I would take on a camping trip.
This is the beer I would take tailgating.
This is the beer I would drink if I had 1 day left to live.
This is the beer I would fill a six pack with to represent my local breweries.
This is the beer I would pick as my answer to any other repost you see on the forum.

It's is presented to you with an enormous billowing head that just sits on top of the unfiltered golden beer like a barrier keeping you from drinking it. The more you want to try it the more head you have to endure.

I can remember the first time I stuck my face in the first bag of hops I bought. This reminds me of that day. It's like if I were to make a mask for my face out of passionfruit, citrus peels and used hops as glue then stuck it on my head. The inside of the mask is what this beer smells like.

It's amazing how much this one hop can acheive. Its high alphas can achieve a palate wrenching bitterness but the softer side of it lends dynamic flavor and a unique tropical aroma making you think that this is all impossible. This is the Macgyver of hops.

8%?! You have to be joking. The very mild carbonation lets you suck this down like its 2012. I can see Galaxy becoming trendy among brewers pretty quick. Much like the Citra craze that is happening now.

04-13-2011 17:16:30 | More by BearsOnAcid
dragonWhale

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

On the tap at Blind Tiger, this beer had the misfortune of being sampled directly after the magic of Ephraim. How could anything top that sick bastard? Well, this one would attempt to use my memories against me, trick me into thinking it was better. Even though this was a new hop, a descendant of Perle, it reminded me of standing in the gigantic Hopunion refrigerated warehouse, swaying, intoxicated by the brilliant and bold aromas of citrus assaulting me. In an instant with my nose in the glass, I was transported back to Yakima, a kid in the nose candy store. The flavor was nice, some sweetness, oranges, tangerines, and the resins lingered with the sweetness nicely. Ultimately, another awesome DIPA, but quite a different brew.

04-11-2011 04:48:48 | More by dragonWhale
Brad007

Vermont

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

Had at the Blackback Pub.

Pours a cloudy light orange with a decent head into my glass. Very colorful and appealing.

Strong citrus notes. Very remiscent of a ripe orange with just a hint of mint.

Mango and orange flavors mingle with the taste buds. Mellow. Subtle. Not excessive. Wonder if it woulld go well with a cheese plate?

Citrus and mango mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

Yet another marvelous, highly drinkable example of the style from Hill Farmstead. At this point, there is precious little that can match the quality of this brewery.

04-09-2011 21:53:39 | More by Brad007
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. An unfiltered, peach-orange body holds up a thick, foamy, white head. Lots of beautiful lacing.

The nose is filled with orange wedge citrus and grassy, slightly spicy, hops throughout. Some sweet malts and a touch of grapefruit.

Grassy, peppery hops, caramel, crushed orange wedge and sweet malts on the tongue. This is like drinking hoppy liquid candy. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium to low carbonation. Nice level of hop bitterness throughout. Finishes fairly clean. Not quite as crisp as some of the other HF offerings. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is another solid DIPA from the Hill Farmstead. Drinks like a single IPA, but is packed with a ton of flavor. I'm really digging the Galaxy hops. It seems like Shaun can do no wrong with IPAs/DIPAs. Highly recommended.

04-02-2011 21:31:25 | More by sisuspeed