1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Double Galaxy
No picture uploaded.

Wants: 1,160
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

(Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Galaxy Alström Bros

Lunch, Nov 17, 2011

Seakyden, Apr 03, 2013

iL0VEbeer, Jan 20, 2013

GonzoHomebrewer, Jul 27, 2013

Had on tap at a few locations in VT yesterday:

A: Pours a hazy orange with 1-2 fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and leaves awesome lacing.

S: So how does it smell? As good as Abner/Double Citra? BETTER!!! A perfect balance of citrus, tropical fruits, floral notes, pine, and a touch of herbal dankness. Extremely strong aromas that jump out of the glass. I was nothing short of amazed at the depth and complexity a single hop could have.

T: As great as the nose is, the taste out does it. The hop character is just as the nose: tangerine, mango, grapefruit, lots of floral notes with a touch of spiciness, herbal dankness in the background, with tons of bitter pine resin on the top of the tongue. As always, there is a big toasted malt base that tastes rich and fresh. There's a moderate to light level of sweetness (mainly crystal) in the middle of the tongue that allows the citrus/tropical fruit notes from the hops to really open up with a juicy quality. The sweetness disappears toward the back of the mouth leaving a fairly crisp, dry finish. The hops are nearly as strong on the finish as they were at the beginning of the sip, there's practically no fading in this guy! Dry, bitter, pine finish with a ton of lingering hop flavors. There's almost no alcohol visible anywhere.

M: Medium body, moderate to slightly high carbonation, as resinous as it gets. Smooth and rich with a refined crisp finish. Bitterness all around.

O: I love Double Citra and Abner blew me away, so I was fairly confident that Shaun had another monster in his hands with this Double Galaxy. I guess my expectations weren't high enough, because this beer still managed to blow me away. It's a beauty to look at, I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass all night, tastes like liquid heaven. Perfect balance of hop flavors with incredible intensity both in the nose and taste, a strong malt base to compliment the hops, but not too sweet as to take away from the pine resin and dry bitter finish. Hops simply don't fade at all, extremely long finish. For 8%, I couldn't get any alcohol and it was a very easy drinker. I should have bought more of this stuff.

Note: I HATE giving perfect scores and I don't want to be over-hyping Hill Farmstead, but Shaun just keeps making ridiculous, perfect IPAs. I can't find any flaws or any areas upon improvement.

Satchboogie, Jun 30, 2011

Polasiuss, Feb 09, 2013

miadw3, Feb 16, 2013

Irishace9, Jan 14, 2014
4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

The second you pour the galaxy the citrus assaults your nose- I immediately thought of pink grapefruit blood orange and tangerines. Certainly more of a citrus overtone and a fruity undertone- mango for sure. Fuck the blah blah shit- amazing hops character with excellent grapefruit and tangerine taste in the background. Quite bitter but doesn't go too far overboard, not a strong booze taste at all (very well masked) and not so malty, however why the fuck would I want malt in a doub? Insane hops is what is what I came for and its what I got in return. I live in VT so not so hard for me to get my hands on, but if you can do so its worth a 2 hr wait in line

80x2HopHead, Mar 19, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Light straw colored body with a fluffy white head. Smell is citrus juice with light pine and almost fruity. This is probably the best IPA I've ever had including many from Alpine, Heady, Pliny, etc. The balance is incredible, and this drinks juicy but not sweet. The hop is incredibly delicate and the star of the show. Nothing gets in the way of the hop. Pretty much a perfect beer.

PHBoiler, Jan 13, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +8%

Well shit. A good man in brooklyn got me this hazy creature. He simply said "give it a try" and mailed a giant box. That jerk.

The bomber(counter pressured filled off a keg) pours a hazy, murky golden orange. that, the haziness is the only negative thing I have to say. Everything else, it perfect.

Before I can even pour the hops hit my nose, massive citrus notes, mostly tangerine and pink grapefruit. A little clean white head covers the beer and lets loose this ridiculous smell. Flavors are perfect clean IIPA, tangerine followed by grapefruit, leading to pine and finishing with a clean malted bitter. Sexy.

Damn, I gotta get to that east coast soon.

olympuszymurgus, Jul 20, 2011
4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

A - A cloudy Honey yellow with one finger white head.

S - tropical fruits and citrus followed by pine

T - pineapple, citrus, pine and a sweet malt. Perfectly balanced. INCREDIBLE

F - medium bodied and smooth. medium carbonation.

O - This may be the best beer I've ever had. Absolute knock-out! It beats the Heady Topper IMO. I'd love to have it back to back with Pliny The Younger.

SirBentham, Dec 29, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

Growler-share my friend picked up one day at the brewery. From notes, finally getting around to reviewing.

Appearance: Dark golden pour into a Hill Farmstead tulip. Thick head that slowly dissipates and leaves the glass thoroughly laced.

Smell: Huge juicy citrus and tropical fruit. Grapefruit is strongly present. Hops and a piney resin scent a lightly present in the backbone, but this one is all citrus.

Taste: The galaxy hops really shine here. Grapefruit, orange, tropical fruits. Lightly bitter to start, with a stronger, lasting bitterness to finish. Beautiful.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation with a medium body. Slick and smooth on the palate.

Overall: This is by far the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had. I drank this immediately after a Heady Topper and it put my previous favorite of the style (and still much beloved) to shame. I can't wait to try the other single hop experiments from Shaun. Incredible.

vonnegut21, May 08, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Tonight marks the third time I've had this beer (once at the Blind Tiger event, once at the brewery, and now from growler) and the third time it's blown me away.

Appearance is a cloudy, amber/gold, with a nice, half- to one-finger head that lingers long enough.

Easily the most striking feature when drinking this is the aroma. Explosive citrus hop character that fills the air without assaulting you; you don't have to bury your face in the beer to find something worth noting, it's overflowing the glass.

The taste is also exceptional; citrus to equal the nose, bitter yet balanced by a sneaky sweetness and hint of earthy pine.

As for the mouthfeel, it took some time and comparison to note how exceptional it really is. At Blind Tiger, I had this side-by-side with Ephraim; at the brewery, obviously it was stacked up against the other outstanding HF beers, and tonight it was served up by chance next to Pliny the Elder. I don't necessarily think that the practice of side-by-side tasting is about one beer winning over another, it really just allows for comparison of style and highlights relative success amongst like-styled beers. This beer succeeds. This is not your typical hop-forward, hit-it-and-quit-it IPA. It really fills your mouth. Here I am typing and it's been literally minutes since my last sip and there's still the flavor developing in my mouth. Truly beyond comparison.

I can't imagine a better beer (a 4.0 in appearance simply because it's unfiltered and the cloudiness makes me think "overcast" versus "clear skies"). Cheers to Shaun and Dan and this truly delicious brew. Can't wait to refill my gorgeous growler. Worth way more than every penny spent and every minute behind the wheel, sleet and snow notwithstanding.

myspoonistoobig, Apr 22, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

ok, i haven't had this for about a year, so i'm going from memory. But the memory is a beautiful thing. This beer was "SUMMER IN A GLASS"! big fruity grapefruit aroma just radiating out of the top of the glass. the taste was bright grapefruity hops. summer in Vermont is SHORT and a glass of this beer helps you to pause and take in and enjoy every moment you can and think "hey, i can walk down the street in shorts and a t-shirt and feel just fine!"

this is the land of the Alchemist's wonderful Heady Topper (which i am enjoying right now) and the idea of a Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy brings a smile to my face.

JohnSvag, Oct 14, 2012