Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Wants: 1,359
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.
4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Michael (yourefragile) for sharing yet another great Hill Farmstead brew with me.

A: Pretty orange color with bubbles on the sides of the glass to compliment and pinky of bubbly white head with excellent lacing. Great start.

S: Very nice dank tropical fruit semi sweet notes hit the nostrils with ample weed and plant hop aromas. Nice earthy aroma overall.

T: No malt in there, but really there is not much need for it as theres a slight sweetness supporting big tropical mango, pineapple, pine needles, leafy weed, and earthy hop notes. Nice bitter lingering finish on this.

M: Great feel, perfect sweetness to bitter, a pretty good hop bite.

Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot, though if it had even a little nice malt character I probably would have loved it even more, just my opinion. Keep doing great stuff Hill Farmstead!

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

32oz growler into a tasting glass. Huge thanks to Alex for sharing this buzzy brew.

A: Clear light amber body with a thin head of frothy white foam. Nice retention, fine lace. Pretty good.

S: Pure hoppiness, with intensely spicy, fruity, vegetal, leafy, herbal craziness going on; very, very minty. I'm impressed - it's hard to believe this is a single-hop beer.

T: A little more restrained than the nose, but similarly terrific: piney + citric hops dominate, with some more herbal hop notes joining with light pale malt on the long, bitter finish. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

M: Light-to-medium body with similar carbonation. Pleasantly understated.

O: This is the last of the HF DIPAs to cross my lips (at least of those that are listed on BA), and as amazing as it is I think it's actually my least favorite. The Galaxy hops definitely did more than their due in terms of lending the beer flavor, complexity, and character, but I'm just not as crazy about this hop as I am about Citra, and both Abner and Ephraim are just masterpieces. I can't wait for a new variation.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Well shit. A good man in brooklyn got me this hazy creature. He simply said "give it a try" and mailed a giant box. That jerk.

The bomber(counter pressured filled off a keg) pours a hazy, murky golden orange. that, the haziness is the only negative thing I have to say. Everything else, it perfect.

Before I can even pour the hops hit my nose, massive citrus notes, mostly tangerine and pink grapefruit. A little clean white head covers the beer and lets loose this ridiculous smell. Flavors are perfect clean IIPA, tangerine followed by grapefruit, leading to pine and finishing with a clean malted bitter. Sexy.

Damn, I gotta get to that east coast soon.

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

Hill Farmstead Galaxy, on tap at Shorty's in Hell's Kitchen, New York City, billed as "Double Galaxy" and sold at $9 per 14-oz glass.

Appearance: This looks like a homebrew, super orange-amber-hazy. Classy and rustic at once, with a bit over one finger of white-and-bubbly head, very frothy. Good retention and great lacing. Belgian qualities here! Looks bright and cheerful.

Smell: Super citrus! Fresh lemon (peel, zest and juice), pine, cleaning product. Sap, cake icing.

Taste: Super citrusy and carbonated right away, a bit like sparkling water and/or a non-alcoholic concoction or orange juice. Tingly and bitter, sticky around the roof of the mouth. A fresh, lemony taste and feel all around. A bit too soapy and astringent at times, like licking fresh snow. Mild sweetness and pleasant tropical feel, reminds me of a pineapple cake or lemon custard.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, flavor and carbonation. A tad thin around the edge, bit of a watery finish, but well-balanced nonetheless and super delicious, enticing. Intensely dry finish.

Overall: This is truly an exceptional beer. I had it many times while on tap at Shorty's (despite the sticker shock) and I just couldn't stop drinking it. It goes down so damn easy! It strikes the right chords of flavor, balance and and smell, and it leaves you wanting more. The only thing I would ask is for a bigger body. I love Hill Farmstead!

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to yourefragile for sharing a growler of this one - love me some Hill Farmstead!

A: Looks like a Hill Farmstead DIPA! It's a hazy golden/orange with a decent amount of lacing.

S: Smell is a fantastic citrus/hops aroma.

T: Taste is a somewhat sweet up front with a bitter grassy hops bite on the finish. This is pretty much straight hops right here with nary a hint of malt, yet the flavor is still complex enough to keep this beer interesting. Quite good.

M: Medium-bodied with decent carbonation.

O: This is another great DIPA from Hill Farmstead, but I'm not sure it comes quite up to the level of Ephraim. This seems more in line with their other DIPAs instead, not sure why exactly this one is getting so much more hype. It's damn good, but no better than their other fine offerings.

Edit: Revisited in January of 2013 and it's better than I remember! I might still give it a similar score, though would consider going up to 4.75 on smell, taste and overall. It's got more of a malt characteristic than I remember which really helps balance the incredible citrusy hop flavor. I absolutely believe it deserves the hype it gets now.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

A buddy of mine was kind enough to share his growler.

The appearance is pale yellow with a good sized white head. Its` smell has pine, grapefruit, a certain earthiness. Galaxy tastes of citrus hops, different tropical fruit, bitterness. It is a well balanced imperial ipa and does not seem to overdo it, in any aspect. MF is dry, bitter in the end, but not too much. Yet another, very good beer from these folks out of Vermont.

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

750mL growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a hazy orange hue, with a small head that hangs out for a while, leaving a fair bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma is just awesome, with bold scents of oranges, grapefruits, hops, and nary a trace of malt. What a delicious beer. I wish I had a keg of this. Teeming with delicious citrus and hop flavors, this is hard not to chug. Superb on all accounts, I highly recommend this beer. Hill Farmstead is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

From 07/07/11 notes. 750ml growler shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike, always interested in trying more beers from these guys. Poured into a Fantome tulip.

a - Pour a hazy yellow-golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Light lacing on the glass, looks pretty nice.

s - Smells of tropical fruits, citrus hops, pine hops, and light floral notes. Lots of fruit, I found it pretty enjoyable.

t - Tastes same as the nose, with some moderate bitterness. Pine hops, citrus hops, and some tropical fruits.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Moderate bitterness up front and then especially in the aftertaste.

o - Overall I thought this was a really nice DIPA from Hill Farmstead, though I personally prefer Ephraim. Would certainly have it again.

4.13/5  rDev -9.2%

Three cheers for Sean for sharing this growler.

A - Yellowish orange beer with a frothy white head that had some good retention.

S - Smells a lot like catnip and catnip tea. Some nice tropical fruits, citrus, and some sugary bitterness on the end.

T - Great hops, sweet, with a little floral taste, tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus rind. There is a nice buttery taste at the beginning of this one that adds an interesting element to this beer melded with the hops.

M - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and a crisp feel.

O - Really nice beer, with a unique taste. I'm not real familliar with Galaxy hops, but it made for a really great beer.

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks goes out to Satchboogie for this brew.

750ml Growler

Poured into a DFH glass a very nice cloudy golden yellowish color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is a hop bomb, with some nice malt notes, lots of citrus, and a very nice touch of pine notes, also some spice notes. The taste is very nice, hoppy, slight maltyness, sweet, lots of nice citrus/pine notes. Medium Body, ABV hidden very well with this one, very nice subtle dry/bitter finish. Goes down very very easy, slightly chewy. Never heard of this Galaxy Hop from Australia before, but it is very nice. WOW! This is definitely a very tasty DIPA on the lower side of things. Glad to have gotten a chance to try it, Thanks Kyle!

4.2/5  rDev -7.7%

According to this "Expert" my review is as follows... super unique color of a dark murky honey gold with tons of orange, super dark orange deep in the body, a cool light tope head... the nose is a bit light, some nice grass hops with a bit of dank, a bit of orange peel, good but cursing that I’m not having this totally fresh... the taste is super buttery grass hops... a really good beer, but getting a touch too hyped right now

3.8/5  rDev -16.5%

Growler shared by Thorpe429 at his place the other night. Thanks! A big want, obviously because at the time of this review, this is the #44 beer on the beeradvocate best of list "popular" and the #6 beer on the best of American Double / Imperial IPA. This probably means I'm going to love it.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a wispy head of small white head that leaves some lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is mildly vegetal and earthy with a mild citrus hops, moderate floral notes, smell good but I'm not overwhelmed so far.

When I drank this I asked Thorpe if it tasted the same as the one he drank (by himself) a few days earlier and he confirmed that "It is nearly the same, perhaps a little less hoppy" -- it is hoppy, mild to moderately bitter on the back, interesting throughout but there is an off sulfur character or some sort of vegetalness that makes me wish we were drinking more Abner. Not my favorite from HF but perhaps my expectations were too high. I've never had a Galaxy single hopped beer. I'd have another and I'd even have this again on draft but it was somewhat of a disappointment.

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I've had this beer on-tap at the brewery, on-tap at Parker Pie Co. (near the brewery), and this is the second time I'm enjoying it from a growler. 750ml Hill Farmstead flip-top growler into my Bruery tulip. All to myself! (don't worry guys, I got a 2nd one to share).

A - Pours a FL orange color, white frothy head, sticky white lacing, lots of bubbles along the collar and cap, thin whisps on top.

S - An wonderful aroma of bitter hops, tons of orange peel citrus dominate the nose. Tons of hops, but, it's really nothing like I've ever had before. Very juicy, rich, and just plain outstanding. There's some sweetness there on the finish that's very tropical, peaches, pineapple.

T - Orange peel, mango, some tropical notes and lots of wonderful hops. The bitterness is smooth and enjoyable, not trying to destroy your palate like many other inferior DIPA's. You know this is a DIPA without it screaming "look at me"...it's refreshing.

M - Perfect, to say the least. Smooth, refreshing, soft carbonation, with a medium body.

O - Seriously, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I looked, I tried, I failed. I've had this beer in draft, out of a growler, from a taster, from a wine glass, tulip, etc. I still can't find a flaw. I would put this DIPA up against any of the same style from any brewery, it's just that good. Not a palate destroyer, not overly sweet or syrupy, just f'n awesome. Shaun, you killed it with this beer!

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

The keg of this one came and went way to quickly at the Birdsall House in Peekskill, NY. If not for the heads up from Stone's Dennis F. I might have missed it.

Pours heavily clouded, dull, dark tangarine amber, well groomed head, with ample webs of lacing left behind..

Muted ripe mango, lite smoke and some grapefruit on the nostrils.

Ruby red grapefruit, mangoes at back with a note of hot sauce. Nice spicy/sweet balance. Smooth grapefuit pith infused finish. Clear quality, dense and complex mixture of flavors, fresh, yummy and complex. The Hill Farmstead brews have been consistantly living up to the hype/buzz..Well worth seeking out this one

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Growler shared by Whitemomba-- thanks Jason!!

Served in FFF tulip pint.

A really hazy beer here-- a lot like other HF beers that I've had actually... It's a golden apricot color with a nice two finger head. The bubbles are big and loose, and due to that fact, it seems we don't see great retention or lacing.

The beer smells and tastes very nice: citrusy lemon and grapefruit with some dank floral notes, all over a light bready/biscuity malt. Very dry and bitter finish. Clean and fresh.

Body is nice. Well carbed and medium light.

Overall, this is a good beer... Not the best HF beer I've had, but still good.

4.87/5  rDev +7%

Tremendous thanks to SFLpunk and imagineiii for making this possible, and ensuring that quite a few people in the DC circle will get to try this one out. First 750 is all for me. Nothing like having over a dozen tickable pours all to myself.

Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip glass.

Pours a moderately-hazy bright apricot color with a strong two-finger white head. Fairly fluffy. There's some good retention and gobs and gobs of spotty lacing as it goes down the glass. Good collar and -- appropriately -- a galaxy-swirl cap on top throughout.

The nose starts out with some very, very strong citrus. Lots of grapefruit and orange rind. Some tropical mango in the background. Some more hops. Then some more. Damn. As it warms, the grapefruit takes a bit over from the orange and tropical notes. One of the better smelling DIPAs that I've come across. Me giving something a 5.0 is rare. It being a DIPA that doesn't feature Citra is even rarer. I'm not a Citra fanboy at all :) (That's right, a smiley face in a review...I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.)

The flavor begins with some supremely-aggressive hop components. Grapefruit pith abounds. Looking for serious hop action? Whoop, there it is. Smiley face? Check. Old-school "ashamed to have had singed and danced to" song? Check. Banging on all cylinders tonight. Reference to Brian Regan. Class act.

Other than the all-out grapefruit assault, there's some malt in the background. Who am I kidding? No there's not. It's all hops. This is what a double IPA should be. As has been a frequent topic of forum discussions, no, hops don't belong everywhere. Straight fact, though: malt does not belong in an American Imperial IPA. It simply does not. That's an American Barleywine. Shaun gets an A+ here for brewing a beer that is an all-out hop assault that I never need a break from. The bitterness and flavor both take me to the brink, but never off the edge. So much hop flavor and bitterness all in one package.

Medium body with a brisk, crisp bitterness and moderate carbonation. No real alcohol character. Strong bitterness. Then some hop fruitiness. Nearly a flawless beer. Now, given that this review is about eleventy billion times my average review length, I think I'll call it quits. Cheers.

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

All I can say is AWSOME!

The smell of this beer is fantastic with that fresh hop juice aroma, very prominent citrus and floral over tones. You can smell it even before you get it up to your nose.

The body is medium and the taste is just as good as the smell. It has a great fresh grapefruit / hop taste with a slight piney bitter finish. The way an IPA should be.

This is a great beer and I am lucky to have one of the few kegs of Galaxy available from Hill Farmstead at my home.

4.59/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Blackback pub.

Pours slightly cloudy with a medium sized tight sticky head. The aroma is phenomenal, lemon, grapefruit, mango, passionflower and a little oniony dankness. Taste is more of the same, just not quite as incredible as the aroma. The citrus hits hard up front, gives way to some slightly sweet malt (hint of medium crystal), which then disappears into a wonderful complex hop finish. Medium-light body with just enough alcohol evident to push the hops into your tongue. Smooth and dangerous.

I cannot believe that something this complex only contains one hop!

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Hunted this one all over NYC and finally was rewarded with 32oz growler from Decicco's Ardsley.

A: Gorgeous orange pour of your typical DIPA, looks great.

S: Awsome nose of tropical fruits followed with hops, no complaints.

T: Explosion of fruit flavors, leaves you wanting more and more and more

M: Very very nice, slight bitterness in aftertaste, very smooth

D: Super high, give me more holy crap.

This beer tastes just like Double Sunshine except a bit less on the explosion of fruit in the taste department, but the description of liquid heaven by other reviewers is very accurate. The fact that I gave Double Sunshine all 5's is the only reason that I didn't give this one all 5's. Not sure if that's fair but, there's nothing wrong with this one. Do what you can to get ahold of this beer its worth it.

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ginger Man in NYC. Served in a large snifter.

A - Arrived with a finger-plus of creamy white foam that settled to a thin cap, leaving behind splotchy lacework. Hazy peach body.

S - Initially it's big grapefruit, some light orange, candied citrus, and light notes of vanilla and pine. There's a faint hint of alcohol too. As it warms up some tropical fruit notes emerge.

T - Again, plenty of intense grapefruit pith and rind mingle with light caramelized sugars and tropical fruit flavors. Initially quite bitter, particularly in the finish, but gains sweetness and complexity over time. Alcohol is better hidden here.

M - Medium body, medium-low carbonation, a super dry finish, and plenty of residual hop resins. No alcohol warmth. Pretty much what I expect from a Hill Farmstead DIPA.

D - A very hop-forward DIPA for the East Coast - Shaun E. Hill knows how to get it right. I downed my glass in record time, and could have gotten quite hammered from a few of these if I hadn't had elsewhere to be. Looking forward to the bottles/growlers Sean is bringing back from the VT.

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%

On-tap at the Fourth Avenue Pub in Brooklyn, served in a goblet

A hazy orange body sits below a one+ finger yellow infused cap. Head fell slowly and left chunks of lace all over the glass. I have yet to see an iipa that looks any better.

The aroma is dripping with citrus and tropical fruit. Juicy orange, mango, white grapefruit with pine needles and some herbal dankness. Hmm, one hop varietal giving up all of this? Amazing.

Delicious. Absolutely freaking delicious. Juicy oranges, mangoes, white grapefruit, ganja and pine needles. Follows the nose closely. Clean, fresh malt, lightly toasted holding down the middle before the hops pummel your palate. A flat out assault on the taste buds. The bitterness is bold and clings to the inside of your mouth.

The finish is dry and bitter. Medium feel with perfect carbonation. Resiny and chewy. This guy means business.

Overall, this beer is near perfect. It's actually hard to not rate this all 5's. Galaxy hops lend tremendously deep aromas and flavors. It's amazing you could get one hop to deliver on all fronts.

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Tapped straight from the keg @ Rochefort10nh's place. Reviewing from a growler.

Price - $130 per 1/6 barrel

Pours turbid with a shade close to that of apricot accompanied by a fluffy white two inch head. Laces nicely with polka dots. The appearance is like a 9.0 on the beach.

The aroma is strong with hemp resin and herbal hops. Oranges, lemon, mango and pine are all there behind the backdrop of grapefruit. The fruit and pine blend well together and add to the balance.

The flavor is much more earthy than what I was expecting. Not as fruity and sweet as the nose would suggest. Grapefruit, orange and caramel are hidden in there. No sense of the 8.0% punch lurking in the dark so beware.

The mouthfeel is intense and sticky with a bitter dry finish. It does settle down a bit as it warms. Has a medium body with a near perfect carbonation feel.

Overall I enjoyed this beer many times over several days. As a DIPA this is very dangerous due to it's high drinkability. Perfect for this time of year and another solid offering from the areas best brewery.

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy orange with a big white head. Nice retention and good lacing.

S: Strong mango notes with tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Bright and aromatic. Touch of saltine cracker. Killer fruit profile.

T: Amalgamation of tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Smooth upper moderate bitterness with just a little of alcohol. Lots of hop flavor. The dry finish displays an increase in bitterness with accompanying grapefruit rind.

M: Medium in body with lower moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: Another good hoppy beer from Hill Farmstead. I'm liking the Galaxy hop.

Double Galaxy from Hill Farmstead Brewery