2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Galaxy - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Double Galaxy
No picture uploaded.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

(Beer added by: sisuspeed on 04-02-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 555 | Reviews: 146 | Show All Ratings:
Sean9689

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I've had this beer on-tap at the brewery, on-tap at Parker Pie Co. (near the brewery), and this is the second time I'm enjoying it from a growler. 750ml Hill Farmstead flip-top growler into my Bruery tulip. All to myself! (don't worry guys, I got a 2nd one to share).

A - Pours a FL orange color, white frothy head, sticky white lacing, lots of bubbles along the collar and cap, thin whisps on top.

S - An wonderful aroma of bitter hops, tons of orange peel citrus dominate the nose. Tons of hops, but, it's really nothing like I've ever had before. Very juicy, rich, and just plain outstanding. There's some sweetness there on the finish that's very tropical, peaches, pineapple.

T - Orange peel, mango, some tropical notes and lots of wonderful hops. The bitterness is smooth and enjoyable, not trying to destroy your palate like many other inferior DIPA's. You know this is a DIPA without it screaming "look at me"...it's refreshing.

M - Perfect, to say the least. Smooth, refreshing, soft carbonation, with a medium body.

O - Seriously, there is nothing wrong with this beer. I looked, I tried, I failed. I've had this beer in draft, out of a growler, from a taster, from a wine glass, tulip, etc. I still can't find a flaw. I would put this DIPA up against any of the same style from any brewery, it's just that good. Not a palate destroyer, not overly sweet or syrupy, just f'n awesome. Shaun, you killed it with this beer!

07-09-2011 00:20:24 | More by Sean9689
lnashsig

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

07-08-2011 22:44:58 | More by lnashsig
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

07-08-2011 06:03:10 | More by yourefragile
AleWatcher

3.95/5  rDev -14.3%

Growler shared by Whitemomba-- thanks Jason!!

Served in FFF tulip pint.

A really hazy beer here-- a lot like other HF beers that I've had actually... It's a golden apricot color with a nice two finger head. The bubbles are big and loose, and due to that fact, it seems we don't see great retention or lacing.

The beer smells and tastes very nice: citrusy lemon and grapefruit with some dank floral notes, all over a light bready/biscuity malt. Very dry and bitter finish. Clean and fresh.

Body is nice. Well carbed and medium light.

Overall, this is a good beer... Not the best HF beer I've had, but still good.

07-08-2011 01:08:27 | More by AleWatcher
Thorpe429

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Tremendous thanks to SFLpunk and imagineiii for making this possible, and ensuring that quite a few people in the DC circle will get to try this one out. First 750 is all for me. Nothing like having over a dozen tickable pours all to myself.

Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip glass.

Pours a moderately-hazy bright apricot color with a strong two-finger white head. Fairly fluffy. There's some good retention and gobs and gobs of spotty lacing as it goes down the glass. Good collar and -- appropriately -- a galaxy-swirl cap on top throughout.

The nose starts out with some very, very strong citrus. Lots of grapefruit and orange rind. Some tropical mango in the background. Some more hops. Then some more. Damn. As it warms, the grapefruit takes a bit over from the orange and tropical notes. One of the better smelling DIPAs that I've come across. Me giving something a 5.0 is rare. It being a DIPA that doesn't feature Citra is even rarer. I'm not a Citra fanboy at all :) (That's right, a smiley face in a review...I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.)

The flavor begins with some supremely-aggressive hop components. Grapefruit pith abounds. Looking for serious hop action? Whoop, there it is. Smiley face? Check. Old-school "ashamed to have had singed and danced to" song? Check. Banging on all cylinders tonight. Reference to Brian Regan. Class act.

Other than the all-out grapefruit assault, there's some malt in the background. Who am I kidding? No there's not. It's all hops. This is what a double IPA should be. As has been a frequent topic of forum discussions, no, hops don't belong everywhere. Straight fact, though: malt does not belong in an American Imperial IPA. It simply does not. That's an American Barleywine. Shaun gets an A+ here for brewing a beer that is an all-out hop assault that I never need a break from. The bitterness and flavor both take me to the brink, but never off the edge. So much hop flavor and bitterness all in one package.

Medium body with a brisk, crisp bitterness and moderate carbonation. No real alcohol character. Strong bitterness. Then some hop fruitiness. Nearly a flawless beer. Now, given that this review is about eleventy billion times my average review length, I think I'll call it quits. Cheers.

07-06-2011 02:55:58 | More by Thorpe429
beenitty

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Hunted this one all over NYC and finally was rewarded with 32oz growler from Decicco's Ardsley.

A: Gorgeous orange pour of your typical DIPA, looks great.

S: Awsome nose of tropical fruits followed with hops, no complaints.

T: Explosion of fruit flavors, leaves you wanting more and more and more

M: Very very nice, slight bitterness in aftertaste, very smooth

D: Super high, give me more holy crap.

This beer tastes just like Double Sunshine except a bit less on the explosion of fruit in the taste department, but the description of liquid heaven by other reviewers is very accurate. The fact that I gave Double Sunshine all 5's is the only reason that I didn't give this one all 5's. Not sure if that's fair but, there's nothing wrong with this one. Do what you can to get ahold of this beer its worth it.

07-04-2011 03:45:48 | More by beenitty
HopHead84

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

7/1/2011

Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy orange with a big white head. Nice retention and good lacing.

S: Strong mango notes with tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Bright and aromatic. Touch of saltine cracker. Killer fruit profile.

T: Amalgamation of tangerine, peach, nectarine, and orange flesh. Smooth upper moderate bitterness with just a little of alcohol. Lots of hop flavor. The dry finish displays an increase in bitterness with accompanying grapefruit rind.

M: Medium in body with lower moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: Another good hoppy beer from Hill Farmstead. I'm liking the Galaxy hop.

07-02-2011 16:08:34 | More by HopHead84
biglobo8971

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

got this growler in the Regional Growler BIF. First off thank you Baconsausage. Now the review.
Absolutely amazing. From the appearance, to the smell, to the taste, this is now my White Whale. Absolutely amazing. For the Hop fiend, this is a great one to seek out. I cant give this beer enough praise. Mos Def will seek out again.

06-30-2011 02:13:13 | More by biglobo8971
afksports

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

There are a few beers that defy review. This is one, but I still managed some notes. Some notes. Not a lot. And I was sharing a 64oz growler with only two others. Big big thanks to myspoonistoobig for driving to VT to get this beer at Hill Farmstead. It's just freaking epic.

Brewed - as the name states - with the single hop strain of Galaxy, the beer has an orange hazy hue with a wonderful off white head. The lacing sustains as it sits there looking like just another good beer. If you're a finding fault person, you had better find fault here: there aren't many other places. Because it's way better than just another beer. The aroma smashes you on the first sip. It's a mix of citrus first, followed by pine and grass. But honestly my notes aren't much of a help here. "Smell: 5.0. Amazing. Pure joy."

So apparently they put joy in this brew. They must, because Praise the Lord the taste follows the aroma. The hops are tamed and tempered by the malt, but also enriched. I can't describe it with the little beercabulary I have. It feels perfect, it drinks perfect.

Simply put, try this beer.

06-09-2011 21:54:19 | More by afksports
stakem

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Cheers and thanks to weeare138 for sharing this brew.

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a hazed golden orange color. When held to the light it displays some greenish and yellow hues around the edges. The head formation is soft with white bubbles that hang close to the edge if the glass. Spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The smell of this brew is downright fantastic. Citrus explosion in the nose with a fruity rindy aspect that is a little catty in character and herbal as well. The aroma comes across quite sweet and fruity with such a sick abundance of juicy hop oils. It is somewhat spicy and as it warms picks up a vinous twinge, fantastic all around.

The taste of this brew is rindy with citrus and spices, it has a lasting catty character that also turns more herbal in flavor. There is a spiced aspect to the hop flavor that gets a bit grassy as the experience continues. The malt backing is light and bready, maybe a bit biscuit-like that provides a soft sweetness to let the hop be the showcase in this offering. It has a lasting aftertaste of grassy and herbal bitter rinds.

This is a light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated and exceptionally easy drinking. Fantastic straight across the board. On this occasion, Ephraim was suppose to be the star of the show and this Galaxy offering completely stole the show. Supposedly this offering was more fresh than Ephraim but still I was blown away. For my first experience with Galaxy hops, I am very anxious to see more of this and get my hands on more of Hill Farmstead's offerings.

05-11-2011 14:58:56 | More by stakem
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler from my main HF man Glouglouburp - pours a muddy orange with a nice frothy white head. Nose - mango, grassy hops. Taste- big tropical fruit punch followed with grassy and pine notes. Very resinous and has a lingering white grapefruit rind bitterness. Some sweet pale malts also come through but by and large a fairly dry dipa. This is one helluva hop monster- very unique offering.

05-04-2011 12:17:42 | More by oakbluff
Azurescens

Washington

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Super excited to try this, swing-top growler poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 5/3/11

A: Pours a bright, cloudy orange with large off-white head and good retention that leaves lots of lacing around glass.

S: Smells absolutely delicious, tons of sweet citrus and piney hops make it hard to type this without taking a sip. Some alcohol and barely any malt aromas are detectable beneath the hops. Awesome!

T: Tastes just as delicious as it smells if not better. Perfectly balanced, nice hop bitterness that isn't overpowering with tons of flavor from the juicy piney and citrus hop resins. Just the right amount of malt to let the hops dominate the taste without being overly malty yet provide enough sweetness to balance out the bittering hops. Balance and flavor are spot on.

M: Moderate carbonation with sticky, medium-full body that coats my mouth with delicious hoppy goodness.

O: Awesome imperial IPA, my first offering from Hill Farmstead and I am not disappointed one bit! I will admit that I prefer my IPAs to be clear but when it smells, tastes, and feels like this I don't care one bit! I want more!

05-04-2011 02:37:13 | More by Azurescens
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Presentation: 64 oz. growler (they were out of the nice Hill Farmstead swingtops) poured into a tulip glass. Growler split amongst a couple friends.

Appearance: Pours a really impressive, white fluffy and full head. Cloudy orange in color. The growler certainly did well in holding the carbonation as this is exactly how it tasted earlier in the day on tap.

Aroma: Big grapefruit, pine and sweet tropical fruit notes dominate the nose. Impressive hop presence here.

Taste: The hops truly dominate here and they are really impressive. Grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest, and some strong pine are all here in full force. Some nice sweetness from the malt is a nice underlying note as well. The aftertaste is a tad bitter and can wear thin over a couple glasses.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy. Coats the mouth wonderfully.

Overall, a really impressive and strong IPA. A great way to showcase this hop. The flavors are big and bold. This is certainly not for the timid. A really nice hop bomb and something I would love to try again.

04-30-2011 04:12:02 | More by Gosox8787
Reagan1984

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Special Thanks to BearsonAcid for providing this in a trade. I was saddened to have to wait a week+ to dip into this growler, but the time has come.

Pours with a finger of very creamy bright white head. Retention decent & lacing is intense. All over the glass. The beer is a slightly hazy orange color

Aroma is fantastic. Blast of tropical fruit, grass, lots of herbaceous tones and this all is quite nice.

I can certainly see why this is receiving some great scores. Excellent. Full flavor front to back. Tropical, citrus (orange) and even some apricot. A touch of mint and even the herbal flavors that are apparent in the aroma. The lingering bitterness is sprinkled with some real fruity flavors. A bit of mango at the end. Nice! ABV is not really in your face, but you can tell this is bigger than a standard IPA.

Medium body and somewhat muted carbonation. I can’t tell if this is from a growler sitting for a week, so I’ll ignore this. (besides, I like that)

Great DPA. Fresh, juicy flavor with a bog hop punch.

04-29-2011 22:01:15 | More by Reagan1984
Slatetank

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I am very appreciative to weeare138 for sharing this. enjoyed from a snifter.

A hazy apricot color w/ slightly sunny appearance and small head w/ spots of lace collecting. The smell is so fragrant! a juicy nose of pineapple and very tropical in general with dank juicy aroma and some floral elements from the hop w/ mild apricot and light grassy odor w/ slight honey tinge in the back. The malt body is smooth allowing for the hop bitterness which is not coarse at all, moderately carbonated w/ juicy texture and light bits of malt interwoven w/ some highly resinous effects from the hop oils.

A slightly lemony and juicy tropical hop flavor is saturating this with some fresh and almost mango-like flavor w/ subtle citrus edges and light tea-like herbal notes. There is a mild spice tinge w/ moderate malt in the finish that seems to tie the whole flavor profile together. It doesn't really strike me as a normal single hop flavor since it has a good deal of complexity and doesn't have the one-note quality of some single-hop IPA's. Overall a wonderful beer to display the great complexity of a very unique hop-Galaxiy really shines in this brew and I admire the great things Shaun from Hill Farmstead can do to Pale ale w/ some amazing smoothness for an 8% Imperial IPA!

04-27-2011 18:40:59 | More by Slatetank
Jefe73

I haven't reviewed very many beers, but I felt very compelled to do so for this one. Thanks to jsvt for sending a very fresh growler of this.

A - Pours a very hazy, golden yellow with a nice two finger off white head that lingered to the very end.

S - As everyone has been quick to point out, the aroma on this bad boy is incredible! It's exploding with citrus and tropical fruits at every turn. Orange zest, grapefruit, pineapple and piney hop notes. Hill Farmstead really nailed the smell on this IPA.

T - Much of what is present in the nose is exactly what you get upon your first sip of this perfectly crafted brew. Again, citrus and tropical flavors dance all over my tongue. Orange rind, lemon zest, pineapple, mango and maybe some peach. This is all finished up on the backend with a resinous piney bitterness. It's all balanced perfectly. Very drinkable.

M - not overly carbonated. A think mouthfeel which adds to the body. Not overly bitter.

O - This has definitely moved to the top of my list when it comes to IPA's. I highly recommend seeking this out and trying it for yourself.

04-24-2011 00:57:45 | More by Jefe73
myspoonistoobig

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Tonight marks the third time I've had this beer (once at the Blind Tiger event, once at the brewery, and now from growler) and the third time it's blown me away.

Appearance is a cloudy, amber/gold, with a nice, half- to one-finger head that lingers long enough.

Easily the most striking feature when drinking this is the aroma. Explosive citrus hop character that fills the air without assaulting you; you don't have to bury your face in the beer to find something worth noting, it's overflowing the glass.

The taste is also exceptional; citrus to equal the nose, bitter yet balanced by a sneaky sweetness and hint of earthy pine.

As for the mouthfeel, it took some time and comparison to note how exceptional it really is. At Blind Tiger, I had this side-by-side with Ephraim; at the brewery, obviously it was stacked up against the other outstanding HF beers, and tonight it was served up by chance next to Pliny the Elder. I don't necessarily think that the practice of side-by-side tasting is about one beer winning over another, it really just allows for comparison of style and highlights relative success amongst like-styled beers. This beer succeeds. This is not your typical hop-forward, hit-it-and-quit-it IPA. It really fills your mouth. Here I am typing and it's been literally minutes since my last sip and there's still the flavor developing in my mouth. Truly beyond comparison.

I can't imagine a better beer (a 4.0 in appearance simply because it's unfiltered and the cloudiness makes me think "overcast" versus "clear skies"). Cheers to Shaun and Dan and this truly delicious brew. Can't wait to refill my gorgeous growler. Worth way more than every penny spent and every minute behind the wheel, sleet and snow notwithstanding.

04-22-2011 04:48:39 | More by myspoonistoobig
TheDudeRules

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

04-19-2011 17:48:12 | More by TheDudeRules
corby112

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a frothy two finger pillowy white head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

Another incredible smelling beer from Hill Farmstead. They really know how to nail down the nose on an IPA(all of their beers for that matter). This beer is exploding with tropical an citrus fruit notes which are nicely complimented by the floral earthy, notes and faint pale malt. Hints of pineapple, mango, grapefruit and citrus peel alongside grassy, piny hops and sweet biscuit malts.

I tried Ephraim before this and while that beer looked and smelled incredible, the flavor and palate let me down so my expectations for Galaxy weren't the highest. Thankfully this beer lived up to the appearance and nose. Chewy medium body with an complex, delicious flavor profile. Again, as in the aroma, the palate is bursting forth with sweet citrus and tropical fruit notes. Hints of papaya, pineapple and mango as well as a boat load of citrus rind. This is countered by an earthy resinous pine bitterness that creates excellent balance and makes this beer dangerously drinkable. There's also some faint biscuit pale malt adding to the balance and complexity and there is little to no heat, resulting n an excellently masked ABV. I was very impressed with this beer. I highly recommend that you seek it out.

04-18-2011 22:41:32 | More by corby112
BearsOnAcid

This is the beer I would take on a desert island.
This is the beer I would take on a camping trip.
This is the beer I would take tailgating.
This is the beer I would drink if I had 1 day left to live.
This is the beer I would fill a six pack with to represent my local breweries.
This is the beer I would pick as my answer to any other repost you see on the forum.

It's is presented to you with an enormous billowing head that just sits on top of the unfiltered golden beer like a barrier keeping you from drinking it. The more you want to try it the more head you have to endure.

I can remember the first time I stuck my face in the first bag of hops I bought. This reminds me of that day. It's like if I were to make a mask for my face out of passionfruit, citrus peels and used hops as glue then stuck it on my head. The inside of the mask is what this beer smells like.

It's amazing how much this one hop can acheive. Its high alphas can achieve a palate wrenching bitterness but the softer side of it lends dynamic flavor and a unique tropical aroma making you think that this is all impossible. This is the Macgyver of hops.

8%?! You have to be joking. The very mild carbonation lets you suck this down like its 2012. I can see Galaxy becoming trendy among brewers pretty quick. Much like the Citra craze that is happening now.

04-13-2011 17:16:30 | More by BearsOnAcid
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. An unfiltered, peach-orange body holds up a thick, foamy, white head. Lots of beautiful lacing.

The nose is filled with orange wedge citrus and grassy, slightly spicy, hops throughout. Some sweet malts and a touch of grapefruit.

Grassy, peppery hops, caramel, crushed orange wedge and sweet malts on the tongue. This is like drinking hoppy liquid candy. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium to low carbonation. Nice level of hop bitterness throughout. Finishes fairly clean. Not quite as crisp as some of the other HF offerings. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is another solid DIPA from the Hill Farmstead. Drinks like a single IPA, but is packed with a ton of flavor. I'm really digging the Galaxy hops. It seems like Shaun can do no wrong with IPAs/DIPAs. Highly recommended.

04-02-2011 21:31:25 | More by sisuspeed