E. - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: flipper2gv on 04-24-2011

E is definitely not a Belgian IPA - it's a funky version of Edward (american pale ale) - fermented with brettanomyces, dry hopped with galaxy, and aged on stainless for four months. Basically, we refer to it as a farmhouse pale ale - a cross between a saison and an american pale.

2012 Release: Aged in Mimosa barrels.
2014 Release: Aged in wine barrels with resident yeast and microfloa for 1.5 years.
2.57/5  rDev -39.4%

Apricot gold color...lingering head. Giant aromas...somewhat pigeon poop or cat litter with plums...funky, and a brilliant mix of hops. Stark bitterness, fruit rinds, lemon zest, and big brett. A bit rough but interesting. Probably not more than a 10 oz will do me! I don't want to give a poor rating but this just doesn't grab me like most saisons.

3.22/5  rDev -24.1%

pour is extremely cloudy orange with tons of bubbly white head. Nose is lemony, notes of Saison yeast, a touch dusty and citrusy. Taste is a bit bland, some lemon, maybe faint yeast. Fairly celtzery and leathery, thin finish. Overly bretted, body is decent, high carb and drinkable, faintly dry.

3.56/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 caged and corked into a tulip.

Appearance: E. has a very nice cloudy orange tangerine color with a frothy white head. Like I have come to expect in the style, there is a nice amount of lace that clings to my glass.

Smell: Dry saison yeast, biscuit malt, pepper, pineapple, grapefruit citrus, and a little bit of funk.

Taste: The first flavor to hit my tongue is a light caramel sweetness. A little bit of pepper and spice, then toward the end the flavor turns a little bit sour and some funk comes out. Some fruit is soft - peach, grapefruit, apricot.

Mouthfeel: Dry and light bodied, with a carbonation that is both somewhat crisp and creamy.

Overall: This is too dry for my taste, and it seems like the beer loses focus.

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured cloudy and murky the color of grapefruit juice and had a big head with good retention and lace. It was definitely my least favorite beer form Hill Farmstead. This beer has a mellow smoothness from the aging in oak, a prominent woody flavor and one heck of a sharp hop bitter in the finish. The fruit flavors were also mellowed in the drink but luckily it still had some juicy tartness. Bone dry. I think the bitter does eclipse the fruitiness and the pepper in the finish. As it drank the bitter became unconscionable. The mouthfeel of the beer was uncomfortably dry and powdery. It had a dominant floral rather than a fruitiness. Some orange peeks out as it warms but it's mostly lemony. It's ok but my favorite is Edward.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Bottle. Pours a very attractive orange-golf with a rocky white cap. Nose is a melange of hop qualities, expressed with nice subtlety. Pine needle, orange pulp, cereal grains. Flavor is more pine needle, coconut husk, lingering grapefruit rind bitterness on the finish. The flaw here, to me, is that a light phenolic, almost medicinal touch persists throughout. The brett presence in this is fairly light but it just muddles everything and gives it this odd lingering quality that I don't dig. I don't really care for brett IPAs, or barrel-aged IPAs, so it's not surprising this isn't really stellar to me. I just think it would be so much more juicy and the hops more expressive without the brett here.

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - mostly white but some yellow hints in the gushing head. Body is very cloudy and orange/grapefruit in color. Great lacing

S - some nice citrus mixed within the farmhouse funk.

T - rind comes through strong. Orange and grapefruit.

M - well balanced and appropriate for the style.

O - a nice little beer. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

750ml bottle

A- Pours a hazy slightly translucent brownish golden, at least 3-4 fingers of white frothy head- had a problem with this bottle foaming up, decent amount of carbonation definitely above average, leaves foamy layered lacing.

S- Some light brett funk, a little bit of lemons, a hint of oranges, some grassy notes. Not overly aromatic, a little bit below average aroma strength.

T- Orange peel, lemons, a little bit of grapefruit, with some light grassy/hay funk. Slightly tart + bitter on the finish. Leaves an orange peel aftertaste that lingers for awhile.

M- Light, average carbonation, abv hidden well, drinkable.

O- I wasn't a huge fan of this beer, especially since I had such high expectations after trying a few other HF beers. It might have tasted better fresh (I think the hops might have faded a bit too much), but to me it was just too lacking in strength- both aroma and taste. The orange peel citrus flavor balanced with the light funk also wasn't that appealing to me. Overall not a terrible beer, but definitely not as good as the other HF beers I've had (Everett, Abner, Daybreak).

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky golden-orange with a rocky, one-inch, off-white head embedded with tiny craters. Big brett nose on this beer - horse blanket, bandaids and a hint of citrus. Taste follows nose; however, there's less of a brett character in the flavor profile. There's also a bit more citrus as well as what I perceive to be chamomile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a soft carbonation and some astringency. Overall, a decent beer; however, the brett is a bit too much on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours out a compilation of golden and yellow tones with some lighters straw hints around the edges. Super volatile pour, even being somewhat conservative creates a head that grows thicker than the amount of beer that's been poured already; eggshell-white, cloudy, and foamy, leaving huge chunks of lacing as it slowly recedes.

I bring E. up to my face and I'm met with a huge bouquet of roses; the aroma is largely floral, comprised of fresh, wet roses and bitter grassy notes. The hops are clearly the key component in this one. Successive whiffs reveal a more refined hop character, rounded out with tones of earth, dirt, and musk. Light hints of funk and wet wood (as well as some of the musk) is probably from the brett yeast used. There isn't much to be said in terms of malt, at least as far as the aroma is concerned. The hop profile here is certainly different - one of the most purely, raw, floral things I've smelled in quite some time. Very, very light tropical fruit and citrus peek in more and more with each sniff - maybe apple skins and/or pears?

I take my first swig of E. and I'm not sure if I just drank a beer or if I ate a flower and a handful of grass. There should be no surprise, however, as the aroma was largely floral and grassy. The vegetal notes are pretty huge on this one; grass, roses, and perfume. The hops are raw and dirty, giving off a very weedy, grassy, and bitter tone. They must have used a ton of bittering hops on this one - the bitterness charges in, rides the wave hard, and doesn't come close to being settled by the end. I would have like more aromatics to accompany this dry, leafy bitterness. A mild citrus zest sits quiet in the background, but never jumps out and strong as I was hoping for. There's a heavy bit of funk and wet oak in the aftertaste - hard to pick it up throughout the sip, as the hop notes are so profound. Medium bodied, heavily carbonated.

Hm... I don't love E. like the scores and reviews said I would. Listening to others describe it, it definitely sounds like something right up my alley. Don't get me wrong - it was a good beer, but I guess from the way people talk about HF, I was possibly expecting a bit too much. I like the funk and oak in the end, but the bittering hops just don't make my palate dance like they should. Either way, still a solid brew, but likely nothing I'll seek out again.

Pours a finger of white head. Leaves a lot of lace. Color is a hazed sunset golden orange.

Aroma: A little bit of hops. Some floral notes and then the saison funk in the background. A lot of spices. Bready malts. Fruity flavors. Pepper.

Taste: More crushed pepper. Floral hops. Grapefruit and lemons. Very fruity. Bone dry.

Mouthfeel: Dry, bitter, sticky. Hop resiny. Tons of hops. Medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, a really good beer. A really hoppy saison. Pretty drinkable. Definitely enjoyed this one.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

This bottle was shared by muskabeatz, thanks Evan!

E. pours a light bodied, very, very cloudy tangerine orange witha three finger, root beer esque foamy bright white head. The nose is very dry, full of Brett, with a moderate fruitiness. It drinks really dry with loads of Brett and almost a grapefruit like fruit presence. Its funky and has plenty of barnyard characteristics. It's interesting, just very dry. It drinks light and smooth. I like it but not nearly as much as I like Anna.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Some fine sir shared this at Zwanze Day, but I don't remember who. But thanks!

A - Orangish yellow colored beer with a really big head that foamed up for a long time. Lot of stick on the sides.

S - I really didn't know what this beer was when I smelled it, for some reason I was thinking saison. There was quite a bit of syrupy fruit and a heavy dose of yeast.

T - Very heavy taste, it's kind of a yeast explosion with a lot of syrupy tropical fruit. Not particularly bitter. It tastes good, but the yeast is a little too much for me.

M - Lighter bodied with a lot of carbonation. Fairly dry.

O - This is a good beer for something that is a bastard style. It's just not a style I think is particularly good, and the phenolic quality of the yeast makes it hard for me to drink in large doses. Would like to try this one again though.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

2012 vintage shared at the Chicago Burbs Random Thursday Mega Tasting. Poured into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow, frothy white head, sticky lace.

S - Funky yeast and citrus from the start, oranges, grapefruit. The hops are still very much there and compliment the funk really well.

T - A mix of hoppy bitterness a yeast funk are the main showcase of this beer. Citrus, orange peel, hay, light must, and grass. Alcohol is well-hidden and it's way too refreshing to be anything over 3% (haha). Finish is funk with some bitterness.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, dry clean finish.

O - I love Edward and I love HF Saison's, so I don't see how this couldn't be a winner. Not quite as good as Edward alone or Anna alone, but still, a really nice beer and a cool experiment. I look forward to opening up one of my bottles in the near future.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Lemon, crisp, earthy. Very light Guezue like flavor on the back end. Super short, dry finish. Really wish I drank this fresh. Getting no hops except in the aroma.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

2014 Vintage
Not among my favorite Hill Farmstead beers, but this is still a really nice Saison. Great mouthfeel; light, crisp, lively, and dry. Pleasantly musty aroma with pepper and tropical fruits from the Galaxy hops, tho I'm sure this has faded a bit by now since bottling. Taste is oaky, bitter, and citrusy with a strong floral/grassy bite. Wish I'd had a fresh one to compare it to. A good compliment to a funky Stilton and some terrine.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

This bottle ended up being a slow gusher; after pouring the first glass, the head within the bottle slowly formed and pushed itself out at a snail's pace. And when I returned to the bottle, it was now sitting in a pool of E.

A: Clear pale yellow on the first pour, but becomes a very cloudy orange-yellow on subsequent pours. Forms a massive foamy white head that sticks around for longer than I'd like it to. Moderate lacing.

S: Complexly aromatic. First thing I notice is a blend of citrus and yeast. The citrus is quite juicy, with orange and lemon. The yeast is the slightest bit bready, with notes of allspice, clove and coriander. Then there is a fragrant floral component within the mix as well.

T: Taste is full on citrus. Lots of orange. A little lemon. Then it turns fairly spicy, though the spice in the flavor is drier and earthier than it was on the nose. There is a bit more of the floral quality mixed in with a good dose of yeast.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body. Medium carbonation. Unfortunately, there is an odd dry bitterness on the back end that is over-excentuated by the dry spice in the flavor leaving my mouth feel as if I have just chewed on a peppercorn.

O: I has this beer when it was first released and I found it to be quite a bit more enjoyable. I suspect the Brett has really started to dry this one out in a way that I feel doesn't add to the beer. Still a good beer, but not nearly as good as when I first tried it.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle opened on 7.11.12.

A - Pours a pale, cloudy light orange with an explosive fine-bubbled, near-white head that takes forever to fade down.

S - Funky, citrusy-lemons mostly.

T - Lemons, funk, slight wood.

D - Great carbonation and a light body.

O - A funky, lemony farmhouse pale ale. It's been awhile since I have had a HF brew, and man do I miss them.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml bottle poured into a HF wine glass.

Pours a clear orange/amber color with a huge white head, very sticky and pillowy with a ton of nice lacing. Nose is a bit funky and maybe some bret? It reminds me of a hoppy Orval or houblon chouffe, very nice.

Mouthfeel seems a bit light, carbonation is there but not quite as big as I was expecting/hoping. Taste though, does not disappoint. Very hoppy and citrusy with yeasty Belgian spice that is very well done and balanced.

Congrats on one year!

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a hazy light orange with a huge white head that takes a while to settle. Settles as a nice rocky cap leaving good lacing.

Nice scent, bright fruits of all kinds (green apple, citrus, peach) with a bretty hay feel.

Taste doesn't quite live up to the smell but still good. The Belgian-ness takes over a bit more with a good dose of oak, brett, farmy saison yeast. Light funk and fruits.

Mouthfeel felt a bit thin and light to me.

This was a good beer to kick off the fest with. It feels more like a saison than a Belgian IPA to me. Light, interesting, good beer.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to millerbuffoon for opening this one last night. This bottle was alive, lots of foam spewing from the top of the bottle. Even with a gentle pour this beer has a massive white head on top of a cloudy yellow body. The smell of the beer is very good, it smells sour but holds the base malt aromas as well. It's pretty impressive honestly. The taste of the beer isn't really sour at all. The beer tastes a lot cleaner than it looks. The mouthfeel has a pretty active carbonation to it with a lighter body. Overall this beer is good, not something I would seek out for myself in the future but I enjoyed having it.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy pale yellow color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some excellent lacing. Aroma consists of pungent herbal hops with loads of funky notes and some rustic malt also discernable. Taste is a unique and funky mix between some herbal and floral hops with pungent notes with some rustic malt and light residual sugar notes. Brett is well dosed and hard to distinguish. Body is full with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. This beer made for a very nice Christmas eve treat.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a very cloudy, hazy, orange. HUGE 4 inch head even with a very cautious, slow pour. Settles to a 1/2 inch fluffy white head with thick, chunky lacing.

Bready yeast dominates the scent. The funkiness is in the background. I LOVE the way IPA smell and with the added funk, the aroma is a winner!

The taste is good. If it were considered a 'true' Saison, I'd probably rate it lower, but being a bretted IPA makes it hit the mark. It isn't my first choice in style, but it is very good. First taste is of mostly bready. Once past the breadiness (is that a word??) you get hit with a fantastic funk fromthe Brett. Then a smooth, tart finish.

It is a medium body and on the dry side.

I reslly enjoyed this beer and the IPA w/ brett thing...but I prefer a more traditional saison. That being said, I'd never turn this away. Really enjoyed it and glad to have had the opportunity.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Todd for sharing both batches of this beer at various events. Served in various taster glasses.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a ring, haze, and spotty lace. Murky and cloudy orange body.

S - Tons of earthy, peppery, and spicy yeast flavors, with appleskins and fruity notes as well. The second batch seemed to have a bit more malt sweetness and tropical brett character to it. Galaxy hops seem a tad understated, although when I had Batch 1 the bottle was 5-6 months old.

T - The taste is again quite earthy and bready, with some phenolic, pepper and spicy yeast character. Light sour lemon note in the finish. Batch 2 is sweeter and fruitier, with mild and fairly restrained oak presence.

M - Smooth texture, lower carbonation, medium body, lightly dry, with a touch of acidity to it.

D - I prefer Batch 2, probably because it was fresher. The tropical and fruity notes seem to help offset the aggressively spicy yeast that I didn't love in Batch 1. Also, I think I had the dregs of Batch 1, which is partially why I didn't post my review until now. An interesting beer from Hill Farmstead, but doesn't totally work for my tastes.

Serious gusher alert!

Appearance: Pours a murky dull orange with a massive 3 finger white crown composed of tight and fine carbonation bubbles. Moderate retention and lots of lace.

Smell: Definitely my favorite aspect of this brew. Mango, apricot, peach, lemon, grapefruit, passion fruit, and belgian esters.

Taste: Has most of the same notes the nose possesses, but they blend to the point where they are harder to pick out individually. The overly carbonated mouthfeel also makes picking them out more difficult.

Mouthfeel: Thin side of medium bodied with ample carbonation. The carbonation is so velvety smooth but its simply over carbonated to the point where it takes away from both the flavor and the mouthfeel.

Overall: I really really like this beer and think its one that Hill Farmstead could really dial in and improve upon in the future.

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours cloudy yellow with sticky white head and tons of lacing. Nose is funky with waves of lemon and sourdough bread. The taste starts off with citrusy hops which become a bit tart as the flavor develops. Very yeasty with a clean tart finish. Mouthfeel is light with high carbonation. Overall, very tasty... Nice combo of ipa and Saison.

E. from Hill Farmstead Brewery