Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Double Citra - Hill Farmstead Brewery

Double Citra
No picture.

Wants: 1,031
Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Satchboogie on 05-29-2011

An American Imperial Pale Ale bittered, flavored, and dry hopped exclusively with Citra hops from the American Pacific Northwest.
Reviews: 178 | Hads: 1,444

I finally got to try this and my meager descriptive abilities do not do it justice. As another said, "Does it live up to the hype? Yes! Period." No, exclamation point! Period.

This stands as my all time favorite beer. For my tastes, it is a perfect DIPA. The color, oh man the color. As most HF hops, this has an amazing hazy body that is so bright. Nice fluffy head that lasts and lasts. The smell on this beer is out of this world! First sip is an explosion of citrus, orange peel, grapefruit. Nice hop character follows through and just keeps you coming back for more. The body mirrors its appearance and it has a great mouthfeel. I had massive expectations for this beer when I made the trip and it surpassed them. Truly an exceptional beer and a must try bucket list type of beer for everyone. Incredible!

Hate to give perfect scores, but it is the perfect beer-- smooth, creamy, tropical fruits, citrus, I swear I get cherry, hoppy goodness, just the right amount of bitterness, perfectly balanced....
Even my wife said "yummy"! Equal in my book to Abner....
Trade your right leg or family dog for a growler...

On tap at and Hill Farmstead.

A- nice yellow straw color. Looks creamy and unpasteurized. Two finger white head frothy head.

S- bursting with fruity, citrus goodness. Mangoes, peaches, guava, etc. Love this hop and this is a premier example of how well it can be used.

T- very juicy and hop forward. All the fruits from the nose are present. This drinks very smooth and one of my favorite parts was the smoothness and drinkability of this ale. Definitely crisp and refreshing and something I'd want on a hot summer day.

M- although this has a crispness and freshness, it also had a nice creamy feel to it. Doesn't get much better than this.

O- love most things HF does and this should be on the top of their IPA list. Well worth the beautiful drive to the Hill.

This is my favorite beer I have ever had, I would take this over a Heady Topper or Double Sunshine or any other IIPA on the planet any day of the week. This beer is leaps a bounds more than the others for me, it is perfect to me in every way I can think.

If I could only choose to drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. You need to try this beer. This is truly the best IIPA in the world in my eyes and I think if it came around more than 2-4 times a year or in bottles as well as growlers then this list would reflect that as well... Trade away whatever you have to or drive/fly any distance and sample this beer...

Of what I've had thus far, this is my favorite of Hill Farmstead's IPAs. Got it a couple times on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a creamy white head. Lots of lacing down the glass. Nose and taste are a cavalcade of citrusy goodness; nice notes of tropical fruits as well: guava, mango, pineapple. This one is just so damn good, and the light mouthfeel makes it so tremendously easy to guzzle. Love it!

This is the epitome of a DIPA. Deep and luscious citrus that is probably the best expression of Citra hops that I've had. But what really sets this one apart is its luxurious creaminess. The mouthfeel is just perfect.

Tastes like candied grapefruit/pineapple. Just so smooth and intoxicating. Where's the double IPA alcohol? so smooth and balanced, one of the best DIPAs out there, everybody knows this but it is definitely worthy of any and all hype. Juicy as hell and still has that perfect bitter bite at the end to fulfill all IPA desires. damn son! This is absolutely in my tap list in heaven.

If you love citra hops, you will absolutely love this beer. Big and juicy, great nose, and immensely drinkable. Another world class DIPA from Shaun Hill.

Simply one of the best beers I have ever had. The light cloudy color, nose and taste are all top rate. Waited a long time to get my hands on some growlers of this and it is easy to see why it is in high demand. Exceptional beer from an exceptional brewer.

I got this from Hopasouras who was on a business trip up in the NE and I could hardly believe what was in front of me. If only this was available across the US everyone could enjoy the majesty of this brew.

A - Awesome dark gold, orange color. Extremely opaque from all of the hops that emblazon this glorious beer. Perfect fine white head and lacing for days.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit literally squeezed into the glass. Mostly a mango, pineapple, and orange mixture that I can barely describe the awesomeness. Could smell it immediately. Definitely the best smelling beer ever!

T - Absolutely incredible hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and dank resin hops to round yield one of the greatest beers ever made. If you like tropical flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. Something about this beer that is different than other Citra DIPAs is the malt flavor. In the middle right beside the crazy hops is a sweet malt, buttery cracker, oats flavor that makes this the best beer I've ever tasted. The bitterness is there and adds to the resinous character but doesn't bite at all. The finish is perfectly in the middle with some sweetness from the malt and some fruit and bitter resin.

M - The perfect medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue and is very refreshing.

Overall, this is my new "best beer I've ever had" candidate. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. Without a bite but huge unforgettable flavor, refreshing drinkablity, and perfect balance. I would drink at least 2 of these every week if I lived anywhere near the brewery. Probably a good thing I don't! :P If you are ever within even a couple hours drive from getting this you definitely should because it may just be the best thing you've ever tasted.

Glass- Tulip from a growler

One of my personal faces from HFS. Multiple times in a growler right from Greensboro!

Look: hazy, golden, beautiful unfiltered look
Smell: Slight hop notes, beautiful citrus
Taste: Simply the best AIPA I've had
Feel: Hangs out for a while, something in the water up there

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer is a beauty. Pours a golden orange with nice lacing. You can immediately smell the citra hops as soon as you begin pouring. Light but refreshing carbonation with a sweet, citrusy start that mellows to a bitter, well-rounded finish. Hits all the right notes but none of them too hard.

A truly elegant beer. Worth driving through the dirt roads of Vermont for, without a doubt.

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Date: 4/15/15
Location: Hill Farmstead Brewery
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: Pale dried grass in color with a thumb size off color white head. Minimal cascading as the beer is devoured.
Aromatics: This beer comes with a big floral nose. The hops just add so much to this beer, starting with the floral whole hops nose and including pineapple, mango and even some lime. A good deal of wheat grass flavor.
Flavor: The fruits jump out at me in the beginning, moving to the grassy. The tasting definitely gives me more of the pine nose flavor. Finishing with a little of the spice and pine resin but with no flavor being harsh.
Mouthfeel: Silky smooth. Only in the finish does the beer build to a different note.
Notes: I had this beer both on tap at HF and in a 750ml growler. I'm in love.

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

Growler poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Bright glowing, hazy pale orange with two fingers of frothy, white head. Some nice sticky lacing throughout. Head retains well throughout the glass.

Smell: Big burst of grapefruit and mango, mixed with some tangerine and a light white peppercorn. A hint of dough, but very slight. This is one juicy smelling beer.

Taste: Follows the nice with grapefruit juice, tangerine pulp, and a touch of mango. The light hint of white peppercorn follows to the taste, and augments a nice, citrusy bitterness. A touch of doughy sweetness gives the beer some body. Finishes juicy with bright citrus and lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly refreshing and drinkable. The bitterness lingers nicely, but isn't overpowering in conjunction with the citrus taste.

Overall: Still one of the best Hill Farmstead beers I've had, and nearly tied with Society & Solitude #5 for my favorite DIPA.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a cm of head.

The first thing I think of with the aroma is peach, followed by grapefruit and other citrus notes, some pineapple. The aroma is very crisp and refreshing, I could sit a smell this for a while.

The flavour is very juicy, like biting into a hybrid fruit of all the aromas in one. There is only mild bitterness and a nice sweetness that cuts through it.

The mouthfell is smooth, a little more creamy and thicker then I was expecting, moderate carbonation. Though, as a whole everything works well together.

This is an incredible beer, the best DIPA/IPA I have had. I have found myself turning away from IPAs recently, but this beer has brought me back to the IPA corner. As a side note I took a 5 hour detour to get to Hill Farmstead and this beer was definitely worth the extra time.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one of the most beautiful beers I've ever consumed. It absolutely glows in the glass. The concentration of hops hits you hard at first, but once you acclimate this is perhaps the best IPA I've have encountered. Tons of various citrus notes, smooth drinking without any of the overt or longstanding bitterness that many of the great IPAs demonstrate. If I resided anywhere near the brewery this beer would turn me into the town drunk.

4.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler filled 2 days ago in a Kuhnhenn tulip.

Appearance-pours a cloudy yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that lingers

Smell: Aroma of sweet citrus like the smell of a freshly peeled orange rind. Wonderful.

Taste: Similar to the nose of freshly peeled orange rind that is prominent and very well balanced with the malt backbone. The bitterness is there but not in your face. The 8% abv is no where to be found. Really like fruit juice and refreshing. Really dry finish.

Mouth: Had a smooth silky/oily feel with a perfect amount of carbonation that adds to the smoothness of this beer.

Overall: Really quite a pleasure to drink this beer. There is probably no perfect DIPA out there, but this is pretty damn close. I was quite upset when this 'experience' was over. I may have to move to Greensboro.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Just tried this brew for the second time at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. All around one of the best DIPAs I have ever and I STRONGLY recommend another great beer from HF. Not surprisingly the Citra smell hits you right off the bat with grapefruit and sticky sweet orange- some other tropical fruit as well make their way to the nose. Well again not surprising that the citra flavor comes through like a train- the slight bitterness and tartness of the grapefruit is perfectly balanced with the sweet orange. Not too much malty flavor but it comes through in the faint background. I get the bitterness that I would expect. however its not at all overbearing-might help to mask the 8+% booze. Hop character lingers in the best way possible.
I really have nothing bad to say and I will certainly get this again.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Got in an awesome trade with Seblp - big thanks!

A: A swampy and orange apricot brew topped with a sudsy white rocky foam. The foam clings to the sides in fine and delicate sheets of lacing.

S: Smells as though fresh pine wood has been caramelized with musky mangos & melons spiked with grapefruit and orange rinds.

T: Wow - first, the malts balanced with hops are expertly layered in such a way that both the malts and hops sing together harmoniously. The sweet maltiness is a mild caramelized richness, notably buttery and fatty. The hops are a soft pine, with a grapefruit pith hit mid-palette. The finish is slightly dry pine, herbaceous, slightly sweet and refreshing.

M: Pin pricks on the tongue upfront, light and effervescent. The lightness opens up to a rich malty feel, like a thin caramel sauce. Perfection.

O: This brew expertly pairs the rich buttery malts with solid hoppy pine and grapefruit, supported by a mouth feel that smooth and chewy. Incredibly lucky to have this growler sent cross country!

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I knew I would probably love this given that Citra is my favorite hop and I love the handful of HF IPAs/APAs/DIPAs that I have had. However, the 3 times I had this in the past 2-3 weeks (on tap at the Jeffrey and at Milk and Hops in NYC, and from a 32oz HF growler picked up and sent to me by SDRedDevil) it was so delicious that I literally had to force myself to not just drink the whole thing in one sip. So delicious and nice dry finish with just the slightest bit of hop bitterness on the back end that just makes you want to take another sip right away before you even put your glass down. Definitely one of the handful of beers I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind if I could only drink that and no other beer for the rest of my life. Definitely the best hope beer from HF of the handful I have had (Edward, Susan, Harlan, Abner, S&S 4), there really isn't anything I would really change about it!

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

Look: Beautifully hazy shade of pale gold. Decent white head, lots of lacing

Smell: Mangos, pineapple, a little citrus. Drool-inducing

Taste: Flavor follows the nose with rich mango and pineapple.

Feel: Densely textured with a moderately assertive bitterness juxtaposed against lovely creaminess. Superb. This is the best mouthfeel I've ever felt in a beer.

Overall: Wow

Hill Farmstead Double Citra
Look 10/10
Smell 19/20
Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 98/100

Devastatingly delicious and refreshing, almost hard to imagine there was alcohol in it. Tasted more like citrus squeezed into a glass. Was truly incredible and is tied (actually just a bump behind due to style) with Twighlight of The Idols. Just unreal.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 2L growler the day after it was filled.

Everything about this beer screams fresh, juicy, sweet fruit; from the appearance (hazy, orangey golden color), through the absolutely bursting fruity nose, to the taste, it is all a poem to oranges, tangerines and mangoes. One of the best hop driven ales out there, bar none. All hail citra hops ;) !!

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml swing top growler poured into Spiegelau tulip.
10 day old fill.

Pours cloudy yellow-tangerine color with large whitish head. Huge tropical aromas emerge from the glass. Taste is very citrus/tropical juicy. Mango, pineapple, and orange with moderate bitterness. Very well made and highly drinkable brew. Would love to try fresh at the source someday.

Double Citra from Hill Farmstead Brewery