Follow our progress ...

Double CitraDouble Citra

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An American Imperial Pale Ale bittered, flavored, and dry hopped exclusively with Citra hops from the American Pacific Northwest.

Added by Satchboogie on 05-29-2011

Reviews: 196 | Ratings: 1,623

Double Citra is a beautifully bright yellow-orange with foamy two finger head out of a 3 day old, 750 mL growler. This hazy beer leaves huge lacing throughout the glass. Has great complexity of grapefruit bitterness and pine with soft mouthfeel that is reminiscent of Maine's Dinner. Another great balanced beer from Hill Farmstead worth picking up when available.

I finally got to try this and my meager descriptive abilities do not do it justice. As another said, "Does it live up to the hype? Yes! Period." No, exclamation point! Period.

I drank this at work with a couple kids and didn't take notes, but its in my possible favorite and best beer ever category. best expression of a single hop iv come across yet. upon popping the growler the room was instantly filled with its scent. anyways the complexity, intensity of flavor, drinkability and over deliciousness of this beer is pretty unrivaled. thats all i hafta say

This stands as my all time favorite beer. For my tastes, it is a perfect DIPA. The color, oh man the color. As most HF hops, this has an amazing hazy body that is so bright. Nice fluffy head that lasts and lasts. The smell on this beer is out of this world! First sip is an explosion of citrus, orange peel, grapefruit. Nice hop character follows through and just keeps you coming back for more. The body mirrors its appearance and it has a great mouthfeel. I had massive expectations for this beer when I made the trip and it surpassed them. Truly an exceptional beer and a must try bucket list type of beer for everyone. Incredible!

Hate to give perfect scores, but it is the perfect beer-- smooth, creamy, tropical fruits, citrus, I swear I get cherry, hoppy goodness, just the right amount of bitterness, perfectly balanced....
Even my wife said "yummy"! Equal in my book to Abner....
Trade your right leg or family dog for a growler...

On tap at and Hill Farmstead.

A- nice yellow straw color. Looks creamy and unpasteurized. Two finger white head frothy head.

S- bursting with fruity, citrus goodness. Mangoes, peaches, guava, etc. Love this hop and this is a premier example of how well it can be used.

T- very juicy and hop forward. All the fruits from the nose are present. This drinks very smooth and one of my favorite parts was the smoothness and drinkability of this ale. Definitely crisp and refreshing and something I'd want on a hot summer day.

M- although this has a crispness and freshness, it also had a nice creamy feel to it. Doesn't get much better than this.

O- love most things HF does and this should be on the top of their IPA list. Well worth the beautiful drive to the Hill.

This is everything I want in a hoppy beer- haze color for days... the smell is huge citrus - the taste is amazing.. reminds me of MBC Dinner... just orange and grapefruit for days... mouthfeel is perfect.. wouldnt change a thing

This is my favorite beer I have ever had, I would take this over a Heady Topper or Double Sunshine or any other IIPA on the planet any day of the week. This beer is leaps a bounds more than the others for me, it is perfect to me in every way I can think.

If I could only choose to drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. You need to try this beer. This is truly the best IIPA in the world in my eyes and I think if it came around more than 2-4 times a year or in bottles as well as growlers then this list would reflect that as well... Trade away whatever you have to or drive/fly any distance and sample this beer...

Of what I've had thus far, this is my favorite of Hill Farmstead's IPAs. Got it a couple times on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a creamy white head. Lots of lacing down the glass. Nose and taste are a cavalcade of citrusy goodness; nice notes of tropical fruits as well: guava, mango, pineapple. This one is just so damn good, and the light mouthfeel makes it so tremendously easy to guzzle. Love it!

This is the epitome of a DIPA. Deep and luscious citrus that is probably the best expression of Citra hops that I've had. But what really sets this one apart is its luxurious creaminess. The mouthfeel is just perfect.

Growler fill poured into a HF bulb glass. The color is a yellowish-orange with a decent amount of cloudiness. The pour formed a small amount of white, fluffy head. There is substantial lacing as you get through the glass. The aroma is awesome; smell of ripe citrus juiciness. Sort of reminded me of Tree House Juice Machine. The taste is definitely juicy with tangerine, orange, mandarins, mango and other citrus fruits. There isn't much alcohol evident with this one. Medium body and low carbonation. Mouth feel is definitely smooth. Overall, there aren't many beers that are better than this in my opinion. This is an excellent beer and an amazing example of how the citra hop should be utilized. Cheers!

Tastes like candied grapefruit/pineapple. Just so smooth and intoxicating. Where's the double IPA alcohol? so smooth and balanced, one of the best DIPAs out there, everybody knows this but it is definitely worthy of any and all hype. Juicy as hell and still has that perfect bitter bite at the end to fulfill all IPA desires. damn son! This is absolutely in my tap list in heaven.

If you love citra hops, you will absolutely love this beer. Big and juicy, great nose, and immensely drinkable. Another world class DIPA from Shaun Hill.

Simply one of the best beers I have ever had. The light cloudy color, nose and taste are all top rate. Waited a long time to get my hands on some growlers of this and it is easy to see why it is in high demand. Exceptional beer from an exceptional brewer.

I got this from Hopasouras who was on a business trip up in the NE and I could hardly believe what was in front of me. If only this was available across the US everyone could enjoy the majesty of this brew.

A - Awesome dark gold, orange color. Extremely opaque from all of the hops that emblazon this glorious beer. Perfect fine white head and lacing for days.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit literally squeezed into the glass. Mostly a mango, pineapple, and orange mixture that I can barely describe the awesomeness. Could smell it immediately. Definitely the best smelling beer ever!

T - Absolutely incredible hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and dank resin hops to round yield one of the greatest beers ever made. If you like tropical flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. Something about this beer that is different than other Citra DIPAs is the malt flavor. In the middle right beside the crazy hops is a sweet malt, buttery cracker, oats flavor that makes this the best beer I've ever tasted. The bitterness is there and adds to the resinous character but doesn't bite at all. The finish is perfectly in the middle with some sweetness from the malt and some fruit and bitter resin.

M - The perfect medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue and is very refreshing.

Overall, this is my new "best beer I've ever had" candidate. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. Without a bite but huge unforgettable flavor, refreshing drinkablity, and perfect balance. I would drink at least 2 of these every week if I lived anywhere near the brewery. Probably a good thing I don't! :P If you are ever within even a couple hours drive from getting this you definitely should because it may just be the best thing you've ever tasted.

Glass- Tulip from a growler

One of my personal faces from HFS. Multiple times in a growler right from Greensboro!

Look: hazy, golden, beautiful unfiltered look
Smell: Slight hop notes, beautiful citrus
Taste: Simply the best AIPA I've had
Feel: Hangs out for a while, something in the water up there
Overall: GET IT IF YOU CAN!

4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a growler filled at the brewery.

The pour is a cloudy, bright orange color with a 2 finger white head. Great retention and great lacing. Just a beautiful looking beer.

The aroma has lots of citrus to be expected, but also plenty of tropical fruits and some piney hop resin to balance out the sweetness. The caramel malt is very well hidden, but it's there. The aromas here just work so well together it's impossible to stop sniffing the glass.

The taste, like the nose, is a citrus bomb. So much orange peel and juicy grapefruit and tangerine. There's plenty of dank, resinous hop flavor as well to once again balance out the sweetness. The back end is held up by a subtle but pleasant malt bill. Incredible balance.

The feel is medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. It's creamy, smooth, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall, this is not only my favorite IPA/DIPA, but my favorite beer period. For me, it just does everything perfectly The aroma is intoxicating, and the flavor is complex and extremely well balanced. The only knock on it is that it's relatively light bodied for a DIPA. But this is merely a small blemish on an otherwise flawless beer.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer is a beauty. Pours a golden orange with nice lacing. You can immediately smell the citra hops as soon as you begin pouring. Light but refreshing carbonation with a sweet, citrusy start that mellows to a bitter, well-rounded finish. Hits all the right notes but none of them too hard.

A truly elegant beer. Worth driving through the dirt roads of Vermont for, without a doubt.

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

Date: 4/15/15
Location: Hill Farmstead Brewery
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: Pale dried grass in color with a thumb size off color white head. Minimal cascading as the beer is devoured.
Aromatics: This beer comes with a big floral nose. The hops just add so much to this beer, starting with the floral whole hops nose and including pineapple, mango and even some lime. A good deal of wheat grass flavor.
Flavor: The fruits jump out at me in the beginning, moving to the grassy. The tasting definitely gives me more of the pine nose flavor. Finishing with a little of the spice and pine resin but with no flavor being harsh.
Mouthfeel: Silky smooth. Only in the finish does the beer build to a different note.
Notes: I had this beer both on tap at HF and in a 750ml growler. I'm in love.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Growler poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Bright glowing, hazy pale orange with two fingers of frothy, white head. Some nice sticky lacing throughout. Head retains well throughout the glass.

Smell: Big burst of grapefruit and mango, mixed with some tangerine and a light white peppercorn. A hint of dough, but very slight. This is one juicy smelling beer.

Taste: Follows the nice with grapefruit juice, tangerine pulp, and a touch of mango. The light hint of white peppercorn follows to the taste, and augments a nice, citrusy bitterness. A touch of doughy sweetness gives the beer some body. Finishes juicy with bright citrus and lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly refreshing and drinkable. The bitterness lingers nicely, but isn't overpowering in conjunction with the citrus taste.

Overall: Still one of the best Hill Farmstead beers I've had, and nearly tied with Society & Solitude #5 for my favorite DIPA.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a cm of head.

The first thing I think of with the aroma is peach, followed by grapefruit and other citrus notes, some pineapple. The aroma is very crisp and refreshing, I could sit a smell this for a while.

The flavour is very juicy, like biting into a hybrid fruit of all the aromas in one. There is only mild bitterness and a nice sweetness that cuts through it.

The mouthfell is smooth, a little more creamy and thicker then I was expecting, moderate carbonation. Though, as a whole everything works well together.

This is an incredible beer, the best DIPA/IPA I have had. I have found myself turning away from IPAs recently, but this beer has brought me back to the IPA corner. As a side note I took a 5 hour detour to get to Hill Farmstead and this beer was definitely worth the extra time.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a beautiful hazy, light orange. Pungent orange and grapefruit on the nose and taste. Super clean and dry, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. So good.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

This is one of the most beautiful beers I've ever consumed. It absolutely glows in the glass. The concentration of hops hits you hard at first, but once you acclimate this is perhaps the best IPA I've have encountered. Tons of various citrus notes, smooth drinking without any of the overt or longstanding bitterness that many of the great IPAs demonstrate. If I resided anywhere near the brewery this beer would turn me into the town drunk.

4.91/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler filled 2 days ago in a Kuhnhenn tulip.

Appearance-pours a cloudy yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that lingers

Smell: Aroma of sweet citrus like the smell of a freshly peeled orange rind. Wonderful.

Taste: Similar to the nose of freshly peeled orange rind that is prominent and very well balanced with the malt backbone. The bitterness is there but not in your face. The 8% abv is no where to be found. Really like fruit juice and refreshing. Really dry finish.

Mouth: Had a smooth silky/oily feel with a perfect amount of carbonation that adds to the smoothness of this beer.

Overall: Really quite a pleasure to drink this beer. There is probably no perfect DIPA out there, but this is pretty damn close. I was quite upset when this 'experience' was over. I may have to move to Greensboro.

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler into a taster. Huge citra in the nose and taste. One of the most pronounced citra tasting beers I have had the opportunity to try. Beautiful beer.

Double Citra from Hill Farmstead Brewery