Double Citra - Hill Farmstead Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Hill Farmstead Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Satchboogie on 05-29-2011

An American Imperial Pale Ale bittered, flavored, and dry hopped exclusively with Citra hops from the American Pacific Northwest.

1.5/5  rDev -67.4%

3.4/5  rDev -26.1%

Many thanks to baybum who schlepped this thing across many county lines to get it to MN. 750ML growler best by 10/31/14, so I still have 96 minutes. I better get to it. Split with my lovely wife.

The pour is thick, chewy-looking orange with plenty of carbonation…a bit actually leaked out when I popped the top, which is always a good sign on a growler. Smells like 64 degrees in January in Minnesota: oranges, citrus, mango, pretty much every fruit lighter than purple. Not bad.

Double Citra is a nicely balanced IPA, which is akin to saying you liked the dialogue in Star Wars. The hops are less about the ex-bitterness & more about the tropical fruity breezes. Mango, oranges, all the stuff that crept up my nose is here creeping down my throat. The mid-palate is more about the mouthfeel, thick, juicy, sticky, incredibly decadent for a hoppy beer, & that’s what saves it in my mouth. Mild bitterness, big malty sweetness, honey combine to tame the hops & smooth everything out. Smooth is my kryptonite. I’m not having any trouble drinking this, but I won’t be weeping uncontrollably when the glass is empty.

I’ve been consistently wowed by HF stuff in the past, but this one left my taste buds distracted by…I’m wondering who the new Twins manager is going to be. Glad I got to try it. Pretty good.

3.52/5  rDev -23.5%

3.62/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Tony for sharing this growler with myself and others.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy peach hue with tuft of sudsy white head.

Smell -- Tangerines, peaches, bergamont peel, honey sweetness and a amber-roasted malt. Quite nice, definitely the best feature of this beer.

Taste -- Surprisingly bracing hop bitterness with the flavor of grapefruit rind, a sharp contrast to the fruity/zesty aroma. Nice malting, light with a soft honey sweetness that, unfortunately, doesn't really stand up against the double-dose of Citra.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with moderate carbonation. Pretty good.

Overall -- Somehow I'm not thrilled with this beer. It seems that the double-dose of Citra has really muddled the subtlety and nuance of this particular hop strain. Well-crafted, certainly, but not the most evocative use of Citra.

3.68/5  rDev -20%

Hazy golden yellow color with a soft white head that retains well. Nice lacing. Nose of oranges, grapefruit and some grain, almost cracker-like. Pleasant, but not particularly aromatic. Taste definitely gives a good presence of orange flesh and tropical fruit. Has a firm bitterness, but not astringent. Some grain comes through as well. It has an interesting blend of almost sweet fruit flavors and then moves into a bitter finish. Medium bodied, sits on the tongue nicely and then finishes nice and dry. I'm a little torn here; I like the beer, it's very well made (no astringency, no alcohol coming through), but even though my score feels honest, it doesn't fully paint the picture. I'll have to revisit this beer if I'm lucky enough to do so. I'm still very excited to try anything else (especially IPA's) made by Hill Farmstead; the quality of brewing is there.

3.74/5  rDev -18.7%

Thanks to Thorpe for this growler... pours a dark murky honey gold, opened without a hiss, not much carbonation, a light tan watery head, not looking good but I can’t knock it... muted nose of citra with malt, more malty than anything, I thought this would be a citra bomb, surprised... the taste is also just a malt bomb with a citra finish... easy to drink but doesn’t really show me a ton

3.89/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Double Citra from Hill Farmstead Brewery